Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2009, 04:34 PM   #1
Grumpy's Gal
Of course, who wants to get gold lame' undies from a stranger? NOT ME!
I bought a bunch of trashy undies and had them mail them from all over the states

WARNING - Disney will not accept xerox copy/birth certificate for free Birthday entry

Disney told my DH on the phone today that they will take the original birth certificate or a "certified copy" which is not the same as a notorized copy.

A certified copy from the state here costs $12.

I might add they won't take a notorized copy of the original.....he asked.

What all have you done? I don't want to order a certified copy for $12 and I don't want to haul the original around in the parks all day in my backpack.

Hmmmmm. Anyone? Can you tell me what you took for children who aren't old enough to have a DL yet?

Last edited by Grumpy's Gal; 05-13-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Grumpy's Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:37 PM   #2
RachelEllen
DIS Veteran

Honestly, I'd get a certified copy. It's a really useful thing to have in general.
RachelEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-13-2009, 04:45 PM   #3
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

The original is just the same as a certified copy. All they are are copies of the info they have in the file, with a gov't notary seal on it (that's the "certified" part).

Your originally is simply the original certified copy made.

So take the original, no big deal. Put it in a zip lok baggie, put that into your backpack at the bottom or in a folder, you're fine.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:48 PM   #4
Grumpy's Gal
I bought a bunch of trashy undies and had them mail them from all over the states

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
The original is just the same as a certified copy. All they are are copies of the info they have in the file, with a gov't notary seal on it (that's the "certified" part).

Your originally is simply the original certified copy made.

So take the original, no big deal. Put it in a zip lok baggie, put that into your backpack at the bottom or in a folder, you're fine.
I might do that -- it's just that it's in a book and I didn't want it to get all bend up in my pack.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:57 PM   #5
DVCLiz
That's me - proud defender of the Mega roll
click here to use the trolldar
We saw "I pooted" and thought it was a "New York" thing!

You would be wiser to go ahead and order some so you have them later - you will need them at various times throughout your child's life. Ours are only $5.00 so I ordered three for each child but in your case I would get at least two so you have one and an extra. You'll need it for passports, driver's licenses, etc. and it's just good preparation to have them handy.

While you're at it, make sure you have a Social Security card for each child, too. You won't need them at Disney but you'll need them later, too!!
DVCLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:04 PM   #6
delmar411
DIS Veteran

well all of my kids have state photo ids that only cost $5 each. You get them at the DMV just like a driver's license and it requires showing their birth cert and SS card. They are a valid form of ID and something you could carry in your wallet.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:46 PM   #7
pilesoflaundry
it doesn't get scratched as often as I like

Does your county record office sell a laminated copy? We used that for dd but they don't sell them anymore. We got them the year she was born but they don't do it anymore, something about ID theft. (it's a tiny ID card that has all the info on it and can fit in your wallet). So I didn't have to worry about dragging around a paper one. I would be a little concerned about that too.

My knight in shining armor turned out to be a soldier in combat boots.

WDW June 2008, 2009x2 June and Sept., Sept. 2011
DL and DCA June 2013
pilesoflaundry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:54 PM   #8
Grumpy's Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmar411 View Post
well all of my kids have state photo ids that only cost $5 each. You get them at the DMV just like a driver's license and it requires showing their birth cert and SS card. They are a valid form of ID and something you could carry in your wallet.
thanks! I will check into that!
Old 05-13-2009, 05:55 PM   #9
pudge the fish
Mom to future CEO of Disney
My hubby says he needs one for me as I wander off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy's Gal View Post
Disney told my DH on the phone today that they will take the original birth certificate or a "certified copy" which is not the same as a notorized copy.
A certified copy from the state here costs $12.
I might add they won't take a notorized copy of the original.....he asked.
Hmmmmm. Anyone? Can you tell me what you took for children who aren't old enough to have a DL yet?
I know in many states a Notary is not allowed to make a copy of a birth certificate and notorize it is as a true copy. Florida is one of those states.

it may be a pain for but DD we showed it and then DH ran it back to the car.
if you don't want to do that, then make sure you put in in a plastic baggie in case of splash mountain or rain. back ups on birth certificates are good to have though

pudge the fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:21 PM   #10
MichelleinMaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge the fish View Post
I know in many states a Notary is not allowed to make a copy of a birth certificate and notorize it is as a true copy. Florida is one of those states.
As a notary in Maine, I can only certify that the person who signs the document in front of me is the person they say they are. I can't make any judgements or certifications of the document itself, be it a birth certificate, will, contract... my signature means the person who says they signed it, signed it.

I agree with what others have said, a certified copy of your birth certificate is just a useful thing to have overall and worth the money to have one.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:36 PM   #11
tasha99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge the fish View Post

it may be a pain for but DD we showed it and then DH ran it back to the car.
if you don't want to do that, then make sure you put in in a plastic baggie in case of splash mountain or rain. back ups on birth certificates are good to have though
I'm a notary in Oregon, and we can't notarize birth certificates. Just get a certified copy or two--you'll need them eventually.
tasha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:43 PM   #12
Avonlady1001
DIS Veteran

Adults can use a driver's license as proof of birth, can't they? I wasn't planning on taking my birth certificate.
Avonlady1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:52 PM   #13
EnchantedPrincess
DIS Veteran

When I ordered my kids birth certificates, I also order couple wallet size certificates for each one of them as well. That's what I plan on taking with me to Disney when we celebrate dd's birthday.

Sept 2001 All Star Music (pre-kids)*August 2007 Contemporary Resort*June 2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge*August 2009 Grand Floridian/Beach Club Villas/Bay Lake Tower*March 2010 Bay Lake Tower*Dec 2010 Bay Lake Tower[/SIZE]
EnchantedPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:09 PM   #14
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy's Gal View Post
I might do that -- it's just that it's in a book and I didn't want it to get all bend up in my pack.
You're going to need certified copies countless times...if you want to leave the original copy in the book, get another copy. I'm on my 3rd certified copy...CA seems to make them from disintegrating paper, LOL. Each one is just as official as the last, it's not hard to get them, it's not a big deal at all.

And if your state uses a raised seal (like CA does...WA however uses a flat, multicolored swirly stamp seal) and you've had it in the book, the seal is probably flat, so taking it out to use might be useless, if they can't feel that the seal is real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avonlady1001 View Post
Adults can use a driver's license as proof of birth, can't they? I wasn't planning on taking my birth certificate.
Yes. Licenses, state IDs, passports...all good! Showing the birth cert is for kids too young for driver's licenses who don't have state IDs or passports.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:10 PM   #15
pilesoflaundry
it doesn't get scratched as often as I like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avonlady1001 View Post
Yes. Birth certs are just for children under 18 without another form of ID such as a passport or state or military ID. Your DL is fine.

My knight in shining armor turned out to be a soldier in combat boots.

WDW June 2008, 2009x2 June and Sept., Sept. 2011
DL and DCA June 2013
pilesoflaundry is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: