Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2009, 09:50 PM   #1
la79al
DIS Veteran

The trip is off

We were supposed to go to DW sometime next spring/summer. Tonight DH officially called the trip off. It's really been building up but I'm still not happy about it. See, DSS has a few hundred dollars at his moms house that he won. He said he is saving it all for vacation with her this summer but he has already spent some of it. We told him he should bring some of it here to put in his bank for DW. He said he wouldn't be allowed. So tonight he tells me that he got in big trouble for trying to bring 75 cents to our house to put towards DW. I know he is blowing it out of proportion but I sort of say whatever and walk away. I am literally 5 steps away and he asks me if he can get his curfew extended if he goes to the late swims at the pool. I ask him where he is getting money for the late swims. He tells me he will just bring money from his moms house. I don't even answer him, I just walk away. And then on my way into the house, I am met by DSD who is on her way to the ice cream stand. I ask her where she got money for ice cream because just last weekend she blew through $5 she brought from her moms house and then asked us for money to go to the pool. She tells me that she got it out of her bank, meaning her DW money. We have ice cream in the freezer, the exact kind she is headed out to get but she doesn't even bother checking for that. I tell her that I hope she enjoys her ice cream more than she would enjoy DW because she's not going to be able to have both. She continues to the ice cream stand. I walk into the house and tell DH I am tired of this whole money thing. He asks what is going on and I tell him and he calls the kids into the house and tells them the trip is off. He tells them if they have more important things to do with their money then he has more important things to do with his money too. We have about half the money set aside already so who knows what's going to happen with that. I'm just sick of trying to police the kids and their money all the time. They don't get an allowance here and we were going to start since they will be here a lot this summer but now I'm totally against it. I will not have money to do a whole lot this summer and I know if the kids end up bringing money from their moms house, they will spend it at the ice cream stand or on other stupid stuff and I don't even care. I have found some free/really cheap stuff to do this summer and other than that, they will be playing outside. I'm pretty bummed about the trip being off though. DD and I are going in December with my sister and DH is not a DW lover anyhow but I was looking forward to the girls going on rides together and DSD introducing DD to all the characters. Maybe the kids will make some great turnaround by the end of the summer and DH will change his mind.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:02 PM   #2
stella27
Mouseketeer

That makes me really sad. I don't understand why your husband canceled the trip just because they are spending their spending money instead of saving it for Disney. Next spring/summer is an eternity for children. I wouldn't really expect them to understand why they should be saving now.
I know you didn't ask for opinions, but that seems harsh to me.
stella27 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-09-2009, 10:06 PM   #3
MariDisney
Learned a difficult lesson about eating chocolate in the dark!
Had to admit to eating bird poo to get what she wanted
Fully open=cool. Fully closed=cool. Half way=no can do

I don't quite understand either. The children are expected to pay for a portion of the family vacation? My DD saves her money for spending at WDW, and we have a similar situation in that she has money at her dad's house that isn't allowed to be spent with me. But I don't stress about it. That's his issue. Anyway, how much are they supposed to kick in?
Mari...A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow is Just a Dream Away...7/98 Carribean Beach ... 1/03 All Star Movies ...9/03 All Star Music ... 6/04 Port Orleans Riverside Honeymoon ... 1/05 Port Orleans French Quarter ... 1/06 Carribean Beach ...9/06 Pop Century ... 8/07 Port Orleans Riverside...9/08 Port Orleans French Quarter...9/09 Coronado Springs...9/11 Port Orleans Riverside
MariDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:07 PM   #4
disneygoof
DIS Veteran

She's 8.
disneygoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:07 PM   #5
MoniqueU
Anything with Malibu in it is great for me
Ask me about my "eyebrows"
Was blinded for several minutes after blowing on it

I guess I don't get it. Things are REAL tight here but my kids still get treats, spend their own money that they have earned on what they want and go places within reason. I am giving up something more important to me then a disney vacation so that they can still have treats and have some fun. I would never expect my children to pay for part of a trip, snacks etc. If they wanted an overpriced souveneir that would be one thing but my kids never ask for stuff like that, maybe a churro at Disneyland and some token gifts for their friends back home. I just can't imagine cancelling a trip you have half of the money saved up for over some ice cream and some pool fees. Maybe she didnt need the ice cream but the pool fees would be an exected expense if we didn't have our own pool. I truly shocked.
MoniqueU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:13 PM   #6
stella27
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygoof View Post
She's 8.
My 8 year old would never see the correlation between not buying ice cream now and being able to get a souvenir at WDW. So that's what his dad and I are for. To teach him. Not to punish him for doing what 8 year olds do naturally.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:17 PM   #7
la79al
DIS Veteran

I think it comes down to-DH does not like DW. He is going for the kids. There are about a million places he would rather go. If the kids do not even want to go badly enough to look in the freezer for ice cream before running to the ice cream stand or skipping one or two late swims then it doesn't seem like they really want to go that badly. The money would just be for their spending money, since they each went through more than $100 the last time we went. I'm not sure that saying oh yeah, spend your money on whatever you want now and we'll hand you more for vacation is really what we want to portray. I'm not saying that either of them should put every penny towards the trip but like I said, DSD went through $5 in less than 24 hours last weekend and came looking for more. Where do we draw the line in saying that some of the money needs to be saved?
Old 06-09-2009, 10:25 PM   #8
PrincessKell
Disney Princess Wanna be
Ok I did it! I actually got around to sewing!

Are they expected to pay for their trip or extra goodies that are not planned for like extra t-shirts or stuffies?

Next spring is a long way aways special when kids are just getting out of school and focusing on summer now. From and outside point of view, it doesn't seem like a huge thing to stress over, or cancel trips over. But there could be other reasons pending. just going on what you have said.

I hope you can work things out with your DSK and your DH and get your trip back on. Best of luck
Old 06-09-2009, 10:30 PM   #9
mirandag819
DIS Veteran

If you are paying for the trip itself, why cancel? I mean threaten not to buy them anything, but you could still take the trip, they just won't have spending money for the extras they want. Besides to a kid that is a long time away, maybe when it gets closer they will want to save for their own extras for the trip, but a year is a long time. Even if they don't save anything you could still go, and just stick to not buying them the extra things they want while you are there.

Etsy ID: MirandaG819
mirandag819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:31 PM   #10
MariDisney
Learned a difficult lesson about eating chocolate in the dark!
Had to admit to eating bird poo to get what she wanted
Fully open=cool. Fully closed=cool. Half way=no can do

Quote:
Originally Posted by la79al View Post
I think it comes down to-DH does not like DW. He is going for the kids. There are about a million places he would rather go. If the kids do not even want to go badly enough to look in the freezer for ice cream before running to the ice cream stand or skipping one or two late swims then it doesn't seem like they really want to go that badly. The money would just be for their spending money, since they each went through more than $100 the last time we went. I'm not sure that saying oh yeah, spend your money on whatever you want now and we'll hand you more for vacation is really what we want to portray. I'm not saying that either of them should put every penny towards the trip but like I said, DSD went through $5 in less than 24 hours last weekend and came looking for more. Where do we draw the line in saying that some of the money needs to be saved?
If your DH doesn't want to go, that's one thing. But I think it's unfair to blame it on the kids doing what kids do. I have a very mature 9 yo DD who does save some, but the immediate gratification is too much sometimes. I don't think expecting them to look months and months into the future and attach the few dollars they're spending now to not having stuff then is unreasonable.

If you don't want your child to have more than $5 in 24 hours then simply say "no, you're not getting more". I'd also say tell them that they are responsible for their own souveniers or extras. If they don't have the money then they simply won't have the "extras", but cancelling the whole trip seems extreme over this. If DH doesn't want to go, I think he should man up and say he doesn't want to go.
Mari...A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow is Just a Dream Away...7/98 Carribean Beach ... 1/03 All Star Movies ...9/03 All Star Music ... 6/04 Port Orleans Riverside Honeymoon ... 1/05 Port Orleans French Quarter ... 1/06 Carribean Beach ...9/06 Pop Century ... 8/07 Port Orleans Riverside...9/08 Port Orleans French Quarter...9/09 Coronado Springs...9/11 Port Orleans Riverside
MariDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:32 PM   #11
stella27
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I would say that you draw the line much closer to the actual trip, understanding that a year is forever to them. I think you could sit both children down and tell them that you expect them each to save $50 for their WDW trip. If they choose not to, they can still go, but there will be no ice cream treats or souvenirs or arcade trips (all the extras). And then you would help them figure out how to save that $$. By not going on nighttime swims and to the ice cream stand when there is already ice cream in the freezer.

I think you can stop them from going swimming and to the ice cream stand and remind them that you have ice cream in the freezer and that you think she should save her money for WDW or something else special. If she refuses, you and DH do have the ability to tell her she can't spend her money on ice cream. Even if it's her money. I really believe that your dh's expectations are unrealistic given the distant nature of the trip and the ages of the kids.

We also have a 6 year old who gets $5 a week in allowance and she just looks for ways to get rid of that $$. If there's nothing to buy, she'll just give it away. I have stopped giving it to her and I stockpile it. If I thought she made good decisions, I would let it be "her money" but as she is immature and won't spend it wisely, I think I owe it to her to protect her money from her. But I'm not punishing her for her immature impulses. I'm just being responsible where she's not capable of it yet.

I don't think being punitive really teaches them the lesson you want to get across - that they should save a portion of their money and not just blow it.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:34 PM   #12
MoniqueU
Anything with Malibu in it is great for me
Ask me about my "eyebrows"
Was blinded for several minutes after blowing on it

I guess I still don't get it. Expecting kids to sacrifice something as simple as an ice cream or a swim for a trip you should be funding almost a year away seems ludicrous to me. I also would have the swims built into my budget and just know I was goimg to pay for them. So the don't have money for souveneirs at WDW big deal, my kids make it through plenty of trips without them. I can't even believe this is an issue to start with let alone something to cacel a vacation over.
MoniqueU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:39 PM   #13
turkeymama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This reminds me of my BIL. As soon as he found an "out", their trip was off too. I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time understanding this too and I have an 8 year old daughter and an 11 year old nephew. By no means am I suggesting that you are wrong for teaching them to be frugal. I think that's great. However, it is summer time, I'm assuming they have worked hard at school all year, and they want a treat or two. Expecting an 8 year old to be disciplined enough to give up swimming and ice cream now for a Disney trip a year away is a little tough.

I think your first few statements say it all. You said hubby doesn't like Disney anyway, and would rather go several other places. Sounds like he is using this to his advantage. Just my opinion. At least you'll get to go with your sister and daughter in December. That really is a beautiful time to go.
turkeymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:40 PM   #14
snoopy5386
DIS Veteran

I think ice cream and late night swims are very fun parts of childhood and $5 doesn't go very far anymore. An ice cream and a bottle of water and bam $5 is gone. How about giving them an allowance at your house and giving them half the money in Disney dollars (either real or homemade). How much do you expect them to save? A year is a long time.
Coronado Springs 3/05
Polynesian 10/05
DD's 1st TRIP for her 1st BIRTHDAY April 07!!!!
Polynesian 10/07 Girls Trip!
Coronado Springs 6/08
Food and Wine Festival Fall 2008
Sailing on the Magic 10/10/09
snoopy5386 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:41 PM   #15
la79al
DIS Veteran

I think I am going to talk with the kids and let them know that if they can save up some money by the end of summer, to show DH that they really want to go, we may be able to get the trip back on. I am just really tired right now of all the stupid money crap. The kids have actually been 'saving' for about a year already and really seem to enjoy watching the savings account grow. I'm thinking that maybe giving them an allowance and requiring them to save part of it and track the rest in a notebook might be about the most beneficial thing I can do with them this summer. My mom is offering to pay DSD to do 'chores' around her house this summer so I can work that in too. I think DH just cancelled because I was expressing to him how much I am sick of dealing with this and really need a break.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: