Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2009, 07:55 AM   #31
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoniqueU View Post
If you can't IM me we weren't that close. I am not in to any of those sites and don't prefer to read things not in real time as a form of communication. I have no desire to reconnect with people I knew years ago, I have changed so much I can't imagine having anything in common with them.

See....I freaking hate it when people IM me....I would rather see an update on Facebook or Twitter and talk back and forth that way. That way I can do it on my own time schedule not instantly. I really hate talking on the phone too, but I like to keep in touch with people...so these sites are great for me. Plus I share all my pictures on Facebook and that saves me tons of emails to my family and friends.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:28 AM   #32
TangaroaTiki
I wanna live at the Polynesian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysnkaysmom View Post
I care
I like knowing whats going on in my friends lives, even the simple things
I agree

TangaroaTiki is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-10-2009, 09:08 AM   #33
ckay87
demented and sad...but social
This morning I had "you can't overlook your underwear" stuck in my head
Scared by a clapper in her teens

I don't mean to criticize, but I admit that I'm somewhat baffled by the people on this board who don't "get" Facebook, but readily come on here and post all kinds of things to thousands of complete strangers. Here we put all kinds of effort into producing well-thought-out, clever, helpful posts when really, why should we care what all of these unknown people think? Why should we help them? Why should we "laugh" at their jokes? Facebook essentially functions the same way these boards do, but you are posting to people you actually know/knew.

Side note....I had yet another reunion last night, driven by re-connections I made on Facebook. This has to be the 4th dinner with old friends I've had in 6 months. Great for the social life, not so great for the waistline!
ckay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:32 AM   #34
NMAmy
Can speak food in German
He seemed so normal when I met him
It's not like I'm getting any special sanitation type service
I'm old school-I like my cartoon rodents to be mice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaraK View Post
It can be really funny. I posted last night that I was packed for my trip today to the "happiest place on earth"....my family asked if I was going to the beer store.
Well, did you go to the beer store? What does one pack for such an excursion?
Old 06-10-2009, 09:48 AM   #35
Heather1101
Mouseketeer

Don't Twitter, so can't comment on that one, but I do think MySpace is more prone to that than Facebook. I am a 35 year old mom that has Facebook and none of my 70 friends on there are "me" oriented at all....we all use Facebook as a way to keep in touch. DH and DS14 1/2 use Facebook the same way, as well. I see MySpace as more of a way to pimp yourself and Facebook more as a way to keep in touch with friends and family.
Heather1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:58 AM   #36
alexandria674
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckay87 View Post
I don't mean to criticize, but I admit that I'm somewhat baffled by the people on this board who don't "get" Facebook, but readily come on here and post all kinds of things to thousands of complete strangers. Here we put all kinds of effort into producing well-thought-out, clever, helpful posts when really, why should we care what all of these unknown people think? Why should we help them? Why should we "laugh" at their jokes? Facebook essentially functions the same way these boards do, but you are posting to people you actually know/knew.

Side note....I had yet another reunion last night, driven by re-connections I made on Facebook. This has to be the 4th dinner with old friends I've had in 6 months. Great for the social life, not so great for the waistline!
ITA

I am not an avid facebook user, I have a myspace and don't Twitter, but I do use my social networking sight to talk to old friends. These sites help me connect to people I wouldn't be able to find somewhere else, like an old friend from high school or to long distance family members.
alexandria674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:41 AM   #37
browneyes106
DIS Veteran

I agree sometimes social networking sites do allow some people to be narcissists but most times people use them for communication with friends and family. I like Facebook a bit more than MySpace. The main reason I still use MySpace is because a lot of my friends from high school and some of my relatives are more into MySpace and really haven't gotten into Facebook. Most of my Facebook friends are people I met in college and former coworkers. I never gotten into posting "what are you doing" statuses on either Facebook or MySpace. I do have a Twitter account but I haven't really gotten into that. A lot of people are getting Twitter accounts mainly to follow celebrities.
browneyes106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:26 AM   #38
SeeDisney
I drove by my WAWA
Is Erika ignoring Boogie?
I'll take Sigmund the Sea Monsters any day

actually, I enjoyed Facebook very much. I love to read what other people are up to in their lives. Especially the folks I haven't in my 20 years or so.

What don't get is when my friends who have over 200 friends and yet they never ever yet post anything on their wall. I don't get that? Why even bother then.

Jan. 05 -- Poly.
March 09 -- 7 days at SOG; First Family Wonder Cruise

SeeDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:24 PM   #39
Sir Robin Hood
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn1620 View Post
I think it's great for those that enjoy it but I'm good with telephone calls and email.
Call me old fashioned but I agree 100%. I have some friends who use Facebook as their main source of communication. Makes me wonder if 40 years from now, one of my grandchildren will approach me and say "Grandpa, what was the cell phone like?" The Pixar film Wal-E made a good point about future generations' addiction to technology, and socializing solely via computer. Pretty sad if you think about it.

I have found social networking sites to be helpful in reuniting with long lost friends. But like some of you have mentioned, some of the personal...um...too personal information given out in status updates, Tweets, etc are getting way out of control. (By the way, I had Mexican food for lunch and will be headed to work at 3:00pm.)

Great input.
Sir Robin Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:42 PM   #40
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

I am not on any of those sites.

All the communication sites are just new forms of communication, I do not consider them "high technology". You use what applies to you.

Until I can have my virtual computer combo, everything else is nothing.

I want that instant makeup thing from "Fifth Element".
The nail deal from "Total Recall".
Star Trek's food replicator.
Oh and a robot to clean my house, like Rosie in the Jetson's.

I am the opposite of old fashioned. It is not futuristic enough for me.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:19 PM   #41
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
Almost anything can be fixed with pasta
Do my DH's "Shorty Shorts" count?
I go in search of code!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMAmy View Post
Well, did you go to the beer store? What does one pack for such an excursion?
Duhhhh a cold iced mug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckay87 View Post
I don't mean to criticize, but I admit that I'm somewhat baffled by the people on this board who don't "get" Facebook, but readily come on here and post all kinds of things to thousands of complete strangers.
I was thinking the same thing.

Heck at least with FaceBook I only have to deal with people I like
POFQ-1/1-1/9/07, ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 Turn of the Century
Thanks AidensMom
mamacatnv is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: