Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2009, 06:44 PM   #16
Angelhalo
Ok I was like crap I'm breaking rules and I'm gonna get points and I didn't even know I was breaking rules!!! LOL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckay87 View Post
I know people look at it that way, and it's a shame. Posting status updates, in my mind, is just like making a comment and opening it up to conversation. I have had the funniest conversations with people based on the dumbest status update. My favorite was when my update stated "I just vaccuumed the dog." Everyone chimed in and was chatting with one another (one fight even broke out ) That's what makes FB fun, IMO. Just like anything else, it's more fun to participate than to just sit back and watch other people.

I have come to know and care more about what is happening with other people than I was before FB. I don't have time to just call and yack with people on the phone, but FB makes keeping in touch with other people easier.

I completely 100% agree with you.
Angelhalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:35 PM   #17
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

I use FB to find/keep in touch with other people I might not necessarily be able to find. I do have a few people who post wayyy too much about their lives, or take a million stupide quizzes and stuff which then end up all over my FB page. I just got rid of a couple of people I "friended" who did that. I was sick of having pages full of quizzes.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-09-2009, 09:04 PM   #18
raysnkaysmom
I don't think I'd mention I was in jail in an interview
I just hope my 4000th post doesn't say something stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore'sthebest View Post
I'm not a fan of myspace but do like Facebook. But can I ask why people need to share EVERYTHING they do with others.

I was reading one post yesterday that said "Slept late, woke up and got friendly with my husband." Umm, who cares???

Others post "I'm off to serve dinner to those at the homeless shelter after a full morning of filling care packages for the homebound elderly." Okay, good for you.

If I did post on "the wall", it would read something like "Crap, I forgot to bring my lunch again so I had to spend $5 on a frickin soup downstairs!" But again, who cares??
I care
I like knowing whats going on in my friends lives, even the simple things
October 2010 DTD/Dolphin Honeymoon Getaway
November 2012~ DD 17th birthday visit to MK ~
June 2014 ~ DD Graduation Trip, 3 parks in one day!!
raysnkaysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:05 PM   #19
raysnkaysmom
I don't think I'd mention I was in jail in an interview
I just hope my 4000th post doesn't say something stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
I use FB to find/keep in touch with other people I might not necessarily be able to find. I do have a few people who post wayyy too much about their lives, or take a million stupide quizzes and stuff which then end up all over my FB page. I just got rid of a couple of people I "friended" who did that. I was sick of having pages full of quizzes.
LOL, you'd hate me... I have random days where I do quizzes like mad!! They are great mindless entertainment!
October 2010 DTD/Dolphin Honeymoon Getaway
November 2012~ DD 17th birthday visit to MK ~
June 2014 ~ DD Graduation Trip, 3 parks in one day!!
raysnkaysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:37 PM   #20
WDWorBUST
BL II - Purple Team
Okay I need my head examined....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
Gosh no. And I know someone who does that...

That's silly.

That people should post. It is something important; not posting it is exactly like not telling a friend that you're not feeling well -- why would you hide that?

Also very silly.
Well posting it's a crappy day might not be something you shouldn't post except when it's the same person posting it every day. I swear they never have a good day. I hope they aren't "friends" with their boss.
WDWorBUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:56 PM   #21
xCourxCorex
DIS Cast Member
You can't question my love for brownies!!

Twitter is totally "me" focused.
Facebook is more social networking/less me
and I think MySpace is somewhere between the two, mostly because you can customize your entire page (background etc) with MySpace, but not with Facebook.

And I totally do not get Twitter. Just posting status updates all day long, no pictures, no "walls", no games? Dumb!
Old 06-09-2009, 11:05 PM   #22
autumnpalm
Hates dark rooms, is a big rule follower, & loves repitition
When I was a kid, I wanted to be a host on The Shopping Channel
I have a secret feeling that butterflies are sinister creatures

I have Facebook, but not Twitter of Myspace. With the exception of my profile picture, I have all my other pictures hidden and I rarely post status updates. My profile is pretty boring! I mainly use my account to keep in touch with friends from school, though, so it serves its purpose.

I have to say that I LOVE reading celebrities' Twitter pages though! Especially Mindy Kaling and Rainn Wilson from The Office, theirs are so fun.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:10 PM   #23
ilovehuhu
Mouseketeer

I only have Facebook
ilovehuhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:57 PM   #24
LittleBlue22
That shopping deal wasn't fantastic, it was COUPONTASTIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnpalm View Post
I have Facebook, but not Twitter of Myspace. With the exception of my profile picture, I have all my other pictures hidden and I rarely post status updates. My profile is pretty boring! I mainly use my account to keep in touch with friends from school, though, so it serves its purpose.

I have to say that I LOVE reading celebrities' Twitter pages though! Especially Mindy Kaling and Rainn Wilson from The Office, theirs are so fun.
I'm curious, do celebrities really post their own tweets or their publicists (or some one else)? I don't know, it just makes me wonder.

On Facebook, I try and leave status' that are focused on the reader instead of myself. I'll write something like, I hope you have a Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious day. I try to take the focus off of me.

If 'friends' leave too many annoying status updates or quizes, etc. you can reduce how much information you want to view of that person without defriending them. I have a couple friends who are virtually invisible.

Overall, I like Facebook very much, as a busy mom, its my chance to communicate with other adults or younger people I know.

*Just a fun tip, if you go to language settings on FB, you can switch it to English (Pirate). Its loads of laughs! yarr!

My cast of characters= Me the MOMSTER MONSTERPOP and FOUR Little Monsters

balloon stolen from SCHBR's mom
LittleBlue22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:53 AM   #25
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

I facebook but do not twitter or myspace.

Facebook helps me connect with my birth-family and stay connected to friends I don't see outside of certain times of the year.
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:56 AM   #26
bicker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWorBUST View Post
Well posting it's a crappy day might not be something you shouldn't post except when it's the same person posting it every day.
Must suck to be them!
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:40 AM   #27
LaraK
A wet monitor is the sign of a classic!
Uh oh...it's the Snarky Purple Fairy..everyone spell check!
Damnit! I AM a good girl!

Crud...maybe I should delete that update I just posted on Facebook!

Nah!

You know what I like? My "friends" that include family, old friends from my childhood, college friends, and internet friends all start posting together. It can be really funny. I posted last night that I was packed for my trip today to the "happiest place on earth"....my family asked if I was going to the beer store, my Disney friends started wishing me well with the mouse. It was super funny and the story of my life.
~~Any statements placed on this thread by said poster (heretofore The Poster) are mearly jesting and should and shall not be considered personal attacks of any posters posting within said thread nor were any posters not on this thread referenced and should, therefore, not consider this to be a personal attack of any nature, intent or thought. Further, no animals were actually harmed in the posting of this post. This poster is an equal opportunity rebutter and will request biting regardless of age, race or religion. Any names or faces represented in this post are fictional and not based on any actual people.~~
LaraK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:26 AM   #28
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

I don't mind if people post about things going on in their life. But I have one friend that posts when she has sex with her DH. Yeah, I kind of figured she was having sex with the man but do I need to know about it every single time.

My stepdaughter posts all the time from work about hating her job, having a headache, wanting to leave work because she's bored.... Hmm, wait a minute - she got fired yesterday!!! I think I might know the reason!!!!!
Old 06-10-2009, 07:40 AM   #29
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWorBUST View Post
I like Facebook but it does make me wonder about other people sometimes. I will on a very rare occasion update my status. But mostly I post pics of my DD that I wouldn't send to every single friend, but that they can look at if they are interested. I have some "friends" that post WAY TOO MUCH and is very "me" oriented in my opinion. Do you really have to post EVERY day that you are on your way to work.....that you are taking your lunch break....that it's a crappy day.....and you are on your way home? Seriously??
I probably update my status every few hours with random things...yep, boring things like "watching the Rangers game" or "taking the dog a walk"....and my friends comment on my random statements and we keep in touch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysnkaysmom View Post
I care
I like knowing whats going on in my friends lives, even the simple things
Same here...I had a friend that wanted me to get on Twitter so she could keep up with what I was doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCourxCorex View Post
Twitter is totally "me" focused.
Facebook is more social networking/less me
and I think MySpace is somewhere between the two, mostly because you can customize your entire page (background etc) with MySpace, but not with Facebook.

And I totally do not get Twitter. Just posting status updates all day long, no pictures, no "walls", no games? Dumb!
You can post pics on Twitter, I do it all the time. I love love love Twitter and now that DH has a blackberry I update when we're out. It's fun and I'm pretty much addicted.

I love keeping up with my kids on Twitter...they tweet all the freaking time from their Ipod touch. I know when they are in chemistry class, and if Ryan was in class that day (DD16's crush) etc. It's just an easy way to keep in contact with my kids.

oh...and I even had a dream last night about meeting the Jonas Brothers (my girls are addicted to them) and talking to them about their Tweets!!
Old 06-10-2009, 07:48 AM   #30
MoniqueU
Anything with Malibu in it is great for me
Ask me about my "eyebrows"
Was blinded for several minutes after blowing on it

If you can't IM me we weren't that close. I am not in to any of those sites and don't prefer to read things not in real time as a form of communication. I have no desire to reconnect with people I knew years ago, I have changed so much I can't imagine having anything in common with them.

I saw my cousins myspace page at one point befote she set it to private and it was all about her and her divorce and nothing about her kids who she pics up of. I know that is just one persons page but it really turned me off of it.

Not a fan.
MoniqueU is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: