Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2009, 02:08 PM   #151
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

49 Sleeps!!!

Thanks to Mickeystoontown for the Epcot suggestions for things to do in World Showcase. I'm going to put together a scavenger hunt where the kids will take pictures of listed items they find. I just have to figure out what the big prize will be We also liked the idea of buying the most inexpensive souveniers in the different countries with a capped off dollar amount to see how many you could get and getting packaged treats to try during Illuminations. Keep them coming! So without much further adoooo, we're off to.....

Day 4!!!

I mentioned earlier this is our first year adding on the water parks & more option to our tickets. So, after breakfast in the Pop food court, this day we've planned to go to Typhoon Lagoon! We are so excited about this but I am really nervous too. My DS13 who will be 14 when we go, is responsible enough that I can tell him to have fun and check in regularly, but I'm not sure how my daughter and younger son will do. They both LOVE water parks and want to do everything all at the same time. The DH and I will be going full steam ahead for the entire day keeping up with them. I think I'm going to try and spend as much time as possible on the lazy river. (This one has the lazy river... right?!?)

Seriously though, we have been to water parks before and my daughter is OK with taking short breaks, but my DS4 is usually not and she'll follow him. I'm also not sure how well she'll handle the lineups and crowds because I don't know if they accept the guest assistance cards there. Anyone know?

We have a late ADR for Chef Mickey's at 8pm. This is a favorite of ours and its been awhile since we went for dinner so we're really excited to introduce Demetri to a jube-jube sundae I'm considering ordering a birthday/graduation cake for this day too. Two days before our trip is Alex's 14th birthday, and earlier this week he graduated grade 8. Traditionally we've always had two birthday parties for him, one for his school classmates where about 20-ish people attend for a pool party, and then a second family party. I think we'll make his family party a Chef Mickey party.

Afterwards, we'll head back to the Pop and call it a night. Our Day 5 doesn't get going until 11:30am so I think we'll do well for rest.

I don't have any tips or favorite memories for TL but let's see what I can come up with. I'll be checking these out:

Epcot Future World - As you are leaving Test Track, look for the crash test dummies. Pose for a picture but beware, they may not be dummies at all!

Epcot World Showcase - Open the lids of the crates in the African Outpost and see what happens.

Epcot WS France - Be sure to find Belle's library, tons of treasures to see and check out the beautiful stained glass window.
(We found this and love it.)

A favorite hiding spot for Demetri.

Magic Kingdom Camera Shop - There is a photo gallery in the back of the shop with wooden cutouts of Disney cartoons. Stick your heads through for good photo ops!
Next up.... Day 5!!

Last edited by Mickey_Mom; 07-06-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:22 PM   #152
JPFamilyMom
DIS Veteran

Location: That place between sleep and awake, where you can still remember dreaming

LOVE your organized list of things to do, I need to get started on collecting items and ideas from you. I like the little booklets idea you are putting together for your kids, I think I'll do coloring books for my boys though.

I don't know about Typhoon Lagoon, we went to blizzard beach on our honeymoon, I have one picture but I'm in a bikini you know it was pre-kids

on tip for a water park is get there early and find a cool place to park it for going back to rest throughout the day, also you can get a locker to hold any valuables, since we didn't have kids on our trip we put everything in a locker and just kept on us a waterproof pouch with our kttk and id cards.
June 2004:ASsports -honeymoon Jan 2011: Kidani -Spectrum Moms take on the World March 2011: rental house- boys first trip Sept 2012: AoA-Cars Suite -UFT (ultimate field trip) Sept 2013: AoA-Lion King suite- MNSSHP May 2014:ASsports- Star Wars Weekends December 2014: POP- Tis the season to be jolly

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-27-2009, 06:59 PM   #153
MinnieNurse
DIS Veteran

Loved your update today.

We are doing TL for the first time in August. Lance cant wait to get one of the sundaes they sale in the sand bucket.

I think Chef Mickeys is a great place for a Birthday celebration.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:49 PM   #154
Lady Lallie
DIS Veteran

I love all your "secrets", they are so great to read about.

I have never been to a Disney Water Park so I can't give any advice.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:37 AM   #155
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Great update! I have a to-do list about as long as yours for our trip in August There's not much time left--Here's hoping we can get everything done!!

We haven't been to either of the waterparks yet. I know the boys would love to go, but we are not going to be there long enough this year. I'm excited to find out what you think of Typhoon Lagoon!!!!

Yay!!! A Party at Chef Mickey's How fun!!! We love it there!! I don't know if I told you--but I was able to get a lunch ADR there!!! We are so excited as I had been trying for weeks to get a dinner with no luck.

I will have to look for some more fun finds in the Disney book that I have and share them... Loving all your "tips, and finds", I'm looking forward to checking them out.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:07 PM   #156
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFamilyMom View Post
LOVE your organized list of things to do, I need to get started on collecting items and ideas from you. I like the little booklets idea you are putting together for your kids, I think I'll do coloring books for my boys though.

I don't know about Typhoon Lagoon, we went to blizzard beach on our honeymoon, I have one picture but I'm in a bikini you know it was pre-kids

on tip for a water park is get there early and find a cool place to park it for going back to rest throughout the day, also you can get a locker to hold any valuables, since we didn't have kids on our trip we put everything in a locker and just kept on us a waterproof pouch with our kttk and id cards.
Our intention is to get there early ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieNurse View Post
Loved your update today.

We are doing TL for the first time in August. Lance cant wait to get one of the sundaes they sale in the sand bucket.

I think Chef Mickeys is a great place for a Birthday celebration.
Oooo, hadn't heard about a sundae in a bucket! We'll be looking for that too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lallie View Post
I love all your "secrets", they are so great to read about.

I have never been to a Disney Water Park so I can't give any advice.
When we come back I'll do a summary of what secrets we did or didn't find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angies1274 View Post
Great update! I have a to-do list about as long as yours for our trip in August There's not much time left--Here's hoping we can get everything done!!

We haven't been to either of the waterparks yet. I know the boys would love to go, but we are not going to be there long enough this year. I'm excited to find out what you think of Typhoon Lagoon!!!!

Yay!!! A Party at Chef Mickey's How fun!!! We love it there!! I don't know if I told you--but I was able to get a lunch ADR there!!! We are so excited as I had been trying for weeks to get a dinner with no luck.

I will have to look for some more fun finds in the Disney book that I have and share them... Loving all your "tips, and finds", I'm looking forward to checking them out.
Yay on the Chef Mickey lunch ADR! I wish I could get into the online ressies and scope out what might be there. Oh well.

Yes, please.. share whatever else you find! I went to the Chapters bookstore with my DS13 and was most un-impressed with the book selection they had. Seems everyone else beat me to the punch and snagged all the good ones. Snooze you looze
Old 06-29-2009, 08:56 AM   #157
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Good Morning!! Well, I was looking through my Disney book last night and came across some fun finds in Typhoon Lagoon. Here it goes......
-At the Happy Landings snack bar, there is a spot that lets you squirt water at Castaway Creek floaters.
-The Surf pool wall appears to be a levee that's ready to burst. The wooden planks spill water between the seams.
-At the front of the park, there is a message that is spelled out by the nautical flags, (hanging to the right of the turnstiles)--it reads "Piranha in Pool".
-Look for the alligator totem pole under the clock tower near Lagoona Gator's shack.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:15 PM   #158
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angies1274 View Post
Good Morning!! Well, I was looking through my Disney book last night and came across some fun finds in Typhoon Lagoon. Here it goes......
-At the Happy Landings snack bar, there is a spot that lets you squirt water at Castaway Creek floaters.
-The Surf pool wall appears to be a levee that's ready to burst. The wooden planks spill water between the seams.
-At the front of the park, there is a message that is spelled out by the nautical flags, (hanging to the right of the turnstiles)--it reads "Piranha in Pool".
-Look for the alligator totem pole under the clock tower near Lagoona Gator's shack.
I'll look for all of these!

I went shopping this weekend and can check off some items! I added just one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_Mom View Post
Here's my to-do list with several more I know I'm likely missing. Feel free to add to it DISers!

BUY:
- plane kits for the kids
- bathing suits for all of us
- shirts to make for the kids
- new sandals and pool shoes - DONE
- toiletries and travel size items - DONE
- lots and lots of batteries - DONE
- misting fans - DONE
- stroller - DONE
- new camera bag
- rapid disolve allergy meds - DONE
- glow sticks/necklaces
- waterproof disposable cameras - DONE
- new fishing licence holder
- wipes
- goggles - DONE

DO:
- mousekeeping envelopes
- gratuity envelopes
- request 80's/90's section of POP
- crosswords/trivia questions booklet put together
- picture itinerary put together
- confirm extra hours at parks
- confirm ADRs
- gather addresses for post cards
- organize all travel docs
- print off small size park maps
- add some occasions to our ADRs
- scavenger hunt for Epcot WS

I can do it right?
Old 06-29-2009, 12:49 PM   #159
MinnieNurse
DIS Veteran

I think I need to make me a list. I used to do that in the past but thought I new what to do without it. Maybe that is why I am filling disorganized this trip.

Looks like you are getting it all done.

I am still trying to decide on the mist fans. We took them the time we went in June and didnt really use them alot and they kept leaking in my bag. August just seems like it is going to be so hot and I would rather buy them now for a lot less money. DH says we dont need them, but he is outside all the time. I am the whimpy one!

Last edited by MinnieNurse; 06-29-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:59 PM   #160
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think I need to make me a list. I used to do that in the past but thought I new what to do without it. Maybe that is why I am filling disorganized this trip.

Looks like you are getting it all done.

I am still trying to decide on the mist fans. We took them the time we went in June and didnt really use them alot and they kept leaking in my bag. August just seems like it is going to be so hot and I would rather by them now for a lot less money. DH says we dont need them, but he is outside all the time. I am the whimpy one!
I debated on getting them too, but I remember looking longingly at other people who had them on our last trip. Bring one for you and Lance to share and if your DH uses it you can secretly smile an "I told you so" smile
Old 06-29-2009, 07:54 PM   #161
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

47 Sleeps!!!

OK, how about a quick recap before Day 5 ?

Saturday 8/15
We fly out of Buffalo at 12:25pm and arrive in Orlando at 3pm! We Magically Express to Pop and have a leisurely evening around the pool and in the room. (I gotta remember to put our bathing suits in our carry-on this time!) We're here!

Sunday 8/16
Ariana and I have a special 10am breakfast at Cinderella's Royal Table and then we meet up with the boys for the rest of our EMH day at Magic Kingdom. Dinner will probably be at our fav Cosmic Ray's where I will look for talking trash cans

Monday 8/17
We'll try lunch at the Flame Tree BBQ if the birds leave us alone, and spend the EMH day at Animal Kingdom. We may call it an early day and do some resort hopping

Tuesday 8/18
The first of our two days at Epcot with EMH. The boys and I will check out a new place for us, Teppan Edo at 1:30pm and I hope to have a scavenger hunt for the kids.

Wednesday 8/19
Our first time to Typhoon Lagoon! Nervous about this one but we'll make it work. Party time at 8pm at Chef Mickey's for Alex's birthday and graduation celebration!

Which brings us to........

Day 5!!!

I'm really looking forward to this day. Well, I'm really looking forward to everyday but you know what I mean. We'll be coming off of a great celebration the night before at Chef Mickey's and I think we'll have had a great sleep from all the water fun. On this morning, we're going to an all time favorite breakfast of ours, Ohana with Lilo & Stitch. We love the yummy breakfast juice and the food is always great, but the parade and character visits is where they have the most fun. The last time we were there, they were doing renovations so I'm anxious to see the result. This time too, I am determined to tour the resort a little more. I've heard they have Dole Whips there too so we may grab one if we liked the ones we tried at MK.

After Ohana, we're off to Downtown Disney and Disney Quest. This and the two water parks are where I think Alex will have the most fun. He loves trying new things and he loves the kind of stuff they have there. What I think will end up happening is the boys will be immersed in all the fun stuff there and Ariana and I will end up leaving to go shopping . And now you see why I'm looking forward to this day. All the shops to check out, the new balloon ride to watch, all the pins to look at! We've never been to Goofy's so we have to check that out for sure and I know there's tons more to see too. On other visits to DTD, we've typically gone straight to the Lego store and given cursory once overs to the other shops. Not this time! What's my theme this year? Say it with me... RELAXATION!!

Some where in all this funness, we have a dinner reservation at Planet Hollywood and I'm looking forward to that too because we haven't been before. The DH and I have been to the Planet Hollywood in Niagara Falls back when we were first married, but I can barely remember what it looked like. Then after dinner, we can shop some more or go back to Disney Quest or just head back to Pop for a swim and a early night. We'll see! We may feel the need to be rested up for our next day of more new adventures!!

Let's see what other hints and tips I can dig up....

Epcot -- Look for the twinkling sidewalks after dark on the right hand path after the Epcot ball. View the American flag that was taken from the rubble of 9/11 in the American pavilion.

Magic Kingdom -- In the line area for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, look for the crate that says "Lytum & Hyde Explosives Company".

LL, here's one for you for the Haunted Mansion -- The architecture of the HM is very easy to recognize as chess pieces. The architect was famous for it and added it to the building. The only piece missing from the outside is the Knight, because its always (K)night inside!

Next up.... Day 6 stormy weather!
Old 06-29-2009, 08:50 PM   #163
MinnieNurse
DIS Veteran

Plans look good. Oh, you will love Goofy's. I first heard about it before my last trip. I love it now, it will always be a must do for us now.

We did Planet Hollywood in either 2006 or 2007, cant remember. I was really worried about it because I had read some bad reviews. We loved it. We had burgers and they were good. The inside is just awesome.

Yay for 47 sleeps!!
Old 06-29-2009, 09:00 PM   #164
JPFamilyMom
DIS Veteran

Location: That place between sleep and awake, where you can still remember dreaming

Day 5 sounds like fun, we didn't spend much time in down town Disney when we went on our honeymoon, we did go to DisneyQuest on the day we left though and that was a lot of fun, but my boys will be too young for a place like that. I'm sure your boys will have a blast though.

You have me interested in the Ohana breakfast now. I'll have to check it out online again, because I had ruled it out for what reason I can't think of right now

Day 6- hmmm I'm intrigued
June 2004:ASsports -honeymoon Jan 2011: Kidani -Spectrum Moms take on the World March 2011: rental house- boys first trip Sept 2012: AoA-Cars Suite -UFT (ultimate field trip) Sept 2013: AoA-Lion King suite- MNSSHP May 2014:ASsports- Star Wars Weekends December 2014: POP- Tis the season to be jolly

Old 06-29-2009, 10:27 PM   #165
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lallie View Post
That is a great HM tip! I think relaxation days are key to enjoying Disney !
I'm going to need a binder for all the hints and tips I'm collecting. Organized in list fashion of course

Quote:
Plans look good. Oh, you will love Goofy's. I first heard about it before my last trip. I love it now, it will always be a must do for us now.

We did Planet Hollywood in either 2006 or 2007, cant remember. I was really worried about it because I had read some bad reviews. We loved it. We had burgers and they were good. The inside is just awesome.

Yay for 47 sleeps!!
I'm warning the DH this will be a slow paced trip and I'll be taking lots of pics and seeing lots of things we've missed before. He's a FAST walker and just has a destination in mind and goes for it. By the time he realizes he's left me behind again I can usually grab a snack, take a quick bathroom break...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFamilyMom View Post
Day 5 sounds like fun, we didn't spend much time in down town Disney when we went on our honeymoon, we did go to DisneyQuest on the day we left though and that was a lot of fun, but my boys will be too young for a place like that. I'm sure your boys will have a blast though.

You have me interested in the Ohana breakfast now. I'll have to check it out online again, because I had ruled it out for what reason I can't think of right now

Day 6- hmmm I'm intrigued
Ohana breakfast is a must do for my family.

Tags
ptr, sleeps, tracy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: