Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2009, 12:55 PM   #1
WDW TRIP NUT
Mouseketeer

What does 'position number' mean on SW boarding passes?

We haven't flown SW in a while. What does the position number mean on the boarding passes? Is that when you line up to board, or your seat number?
1982-off Site
1997-PO
1999-CR Tower
2001-Wilderness Lodge
2003-Polynesian
2003-Swan
2004-Akl
2005-Poly
2006-Poly
2008-Pop/Poly
2009-Coronado Springs
WDW TRIP NUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:23 PM   #2
funntheson
Earning My Ears

That is just for boarding. They will let you know where to line up. There are no reserved seats on Southwest.

March 1989 6 nights offsite after cruise (honeymoon)
Thanksgiving 2006 - Swan
7/25 - 7/29/08 - Swan Resort View
7/30 - 8/4/08 - Polynesian Theme Park View (Tahiti)
7/26 - 7/31/09 - Swan Resort View
7/31 - 8/5/09 - Polynesian Lagoon View Club Level
8/24 - 8/28/13 - Hard Rock Hotel
8/28 - 9/7/13 - Sheraton Vistana Village (2br condo)
funntheson is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-07-2009, 01:55 PM   #3
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Used to be SWA just gave you a letter for your boarding group (A, B or C) that let you know which group you would be boarding with.

This caused the formation of huge lines at the gate, because everyone knew the earlier you got in line, the better choice of seats you had. There were people sitting in groups on the floor like they were waiting to get into a concert or something.

The current procedure is that you will receive a position number determined by the time you check in. The A group will be numbered A 1 through A 60. A 1-15 are reserved for Business Select customers (who paid more to get a guaranteed A pass). So, the first person to check in for any given SWA flight who is not Business Select will be assigned position A-16. The next person will be A-17 and so on.

When you line up for boarding, each group will line up in numerical order - when the A group lines up, the first will be the Business Select group, then the rest of the A group starting with A-16 and going through A-60. When the A group boards the plane, the B boarding group will line up starting with B-1 and ending with B-60 and they will then board the plane in that order. Same with the C group.

This means no more lines forming in the airport hours before flight time, and no more worrying where you will end up in line - you know as soon as you have checked in and received your boarding number.

They are not seat numbers - when you board the plane, you may choose any open seat.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:27 PM   #4
WDW TRIP NUT
Mouseketeer

Oh Good! Thanks for the response! I have flown SW several times, just didn't know what the number meant. We have lined up according to A,B,or C only. This will help so much; now I won't have to sit in the floor one hour before boarding. ha ha
1982-off Site
1997-PO
1999-CR Tower
2001-Wilderness Lodge
2003-Polynesian
2003-Swan
2004-Akl
2005-Poly
2006-Poly
2008-Pop/Poly
2009-Coronado Springs
WDW TRIP NUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:54 AM   #5
inkkognito
I shall call him Mini-Me
I fart cigarette-scented farts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
The current procedure is that you will receive a position number determined by the time you check in. The A group will be numbered A 1 through A 60. A 1-15 are reserved for Business Select customers (who paid more to get a guaranteed A pass). So, the first person to check in for any given SWA flight who is not Business Select will be assigned position A-16. The next person will be A-17 and so on.
The first person to check in won't necessarily get A16. SW allots the numbers after Business Select to any A-Listers (SW frequent flyers) on the flight. If there are no A-Listers, you could still be in the teens. If not, the first person to check in is usually in the 20s.
inkkognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:34 PM   #6
ExPirateShopGirl
My posts are sanitized for your protection!
Oh, sorry. The dog just peed on it.

Those position numbers refer sepcifically to the positions of the kama sutra. You might be in for a pleasant flight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW TRIP NUT View Post
We haven't flown SW in a while. What does the position number mean on the boarding passes? Is that when you line up to board, or your seat number?
Old 06-09-2009, 09:59 AM   #7
welovedisneyx4
I have this sudden urge to put my hair up in a side ponytail!!!
It just seems they would be a constant wedgie?

Would you get that assigined # when you checked in on-line? Is it still to your advantage to check in 24 hours in advance? It has been 3 years since we flew SW.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:07 AM   #8
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by welovedisneyx4 View Post
Would you get that assigined # when you checked in on-line? Is it still to your advantage to check in 24 hours in advance? It has been 3 years since we flew SW.
Yes, your boarding letter/number is assigned at check in; and the earlier you check in the lower the number you will get. That's exactly why checking in as close to the 24-hour mark as possible is important.
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean

Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:22 AM   #9
welovedisneyx4
I have this sudden urge to put my hair up in a side ponytail!!!
It just seems they would be a constant wedgie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestocost View Post
Yes, your boarding letter/number is assigned at check in; and the earlier you check in the lower the number you will get. That's exactly why checking in as close to the 24-hour mark as possible is important.
Thanks!! I can handle that!
Old 06-09-2009, 10:45 AM   #10
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPirateShopGirl View Post
Those position numbers refer sepcifically to the positions of the kama sutra. You might be in for a pleasant flight.
That's one of the benefits open seating. You want to be sitting next to the right person.

The sequence number is used if the GA if SW needs to involuntarily bump a passenger. Generally SW doesn't give out more BPs then there are seats. You should panic if instead of a BP you get a paper that gets you through security and tells you to get your acutal BP at the gate.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:25 PM   #11
poohbear8
DIS Veteran

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but also have SW questions.

I've never flown SW before....but looking at a flight from IAD in early Oct. What are the chances that I wouldn't be able to get a seat near my DD? She's 12, so it wouldn't be the end of the world, but she would be annoyed if we weren't side by side.

Also, do the "fly anytime" rates allow for early check in? The info the FAQ section says you can check in early "if allowed", but I can't find out wouldn't be allowed.
poohbear8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:47 AM   #12
DisneyWalker44
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear8 View Post
What are the chances that I wouldn't be able to get a seat near my DD?
Almost zero. Only the last few people on the plane have trouble getting seats together. And even then they can usually move people around to get a parent and child to sit together. And while the odds aren't exactly zero, they aren't zero on other airlines either as they will sometimes have to move people out of reserved seats.

I'm a huge SW fan, been a frequent flier for years, and to be honest, I have no idea what early check-in is. But as long as you check in close to 24-hours in advance, you'll be fine.
DisneyWalker44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:48 AM   #13
poohbear8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyWalker44 View Post
Almost zero. Only the last few people on the plane have trouble getting seats together. And even then they can usually move people around to get a parent and child to sit together. And while the odds aren't exactly zero, they aren't zero on other airlines either as they will sometimes have to move people out of reserved seats.

I'm a huge SW fan, been a frequent flier for years, and to be honest, I have no idea what early check-in is. But as long as you check in close to 24-hours in advance, you'll be fine.
Thanks for the reply. I feel better now. I booked my flight down to MCO with South West. Return flight is still undecided. So, if I go with SW, how do I "check in" from ASMusic to fly home? I don't plan on taking my laptop.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:18 AM   #14
ahoff
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear8 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I feel better now. I booked my flight down to MCO with South West. Return flight is still undecided. So, if I go with SW, how do I "check in" from ASMusic to fly home? I don't plan on taking my laptop.

You can go to the hotel desk or any guest service desk and they will check you in. You just need the confirmation number.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:26 PM   #15
poohbear8
DIS Veteran

Fantastic! Thanks for the help.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: