Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2009, 09:00 AM   #61
mikelan6
World Traveler, Usually Optimistic

I must have misplaced by Gay Card ... can someone please explain the "Drink your juice, Shelby" thing to me?
Old 06-12-2009, 09:15 AM   #62
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelan6 View Post
I must have misplaced by Gay Card ... can someone please explain the "Drink your juice, Shelby" thing to me?
I am glad that I am not the only one who doesn't get it. I thought since I was a straight woman, that it had to be a totally gay thing. So, can someone enlighten us?
Register to remove

Old 06-12-2009, 09:34 AM   #63
colaboy29
Mouseketeer

It's a line from one of the most quoted-by-gay-men films of all time: Steel Magnolias!

It's what M'Lynn (Sally Field) says to her daughter Shelby (Julia Roberts) right after Shelby has had a diabetic episode (foreshadowing things to come in the film). Shelby is recovering but upset that her mom is treating her like a child and M'Lynn tells her to drink her juice.

I've heard of gay men having their gay cards revoked and toaster ovens taken away for not having seen this film.

"There! My secret is out! I am having an affair with a Mercedes Benz!"
Old 06-12-2009, 09:41 AM   #64
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

Thanks for clearing that up. I have seen that movie several times and I still didn't make the connection. Weezer is my fav character in that movie. My nieces tell me that I will be like that when I am really old.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:45 AM   #65
colaboy29
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor3297 View Post
Thanks for clearing that up. I have seen that movie several times and I still didn't make the connection. Weezer is my fav character in that movie. My nieces tell me that I will be like that when I am really old.
I don't know if that's a good thing to be called, or a bad thing.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:06 AM   #66
mikelan6
World Traveler, Usually Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by colaboy29 View Post
It's a line from one of the most quoted-by-gay-men films of all time: Steel Magnolias!

It's what M'Lynn (Sally Field) says to her daughter Shelby (Julia Roberts) right after Shelby has had a diabetic episode (foreshadowing things to come in the film). Shelby is recovering but upset that her mom is treating her like a child and M'Lynn tells her to drink her juice.

I've heard of gay men having their gay cards revoked and toaster ovens taken away for not having seen this film.

"There! My secret is out! I am having an affair with a Mercedes Benz!"
Well, I did see the movie and it's a great film and all, but I still don't get how it's such a great line. I also don't have track lighting in my home. Who do I return my Gay Card to?
Old 06-12-2009, 12:27 PM   #67
colaboy29
Mouseketeer

Well, part of it is that it's a line from Steel Magnolias and you don't see many shirts like that. But check out this Zazzle.com page for some made by the public.

The other is the circumstances of the scene in the film. You would say that line to someone when you want to be condescending to them AND tell them to shut-up at the same time.

And no need to hand in your card. Jus watch the film again and study that scene.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:26 PM   #68
SeattleRedBear
Mouseketeer
An old floorboard creeks, but the frog was in the crick!

Quote:
The other is the circumstances of the scene in the film. You would say that line to someone when you want to be condescending to them AND tell them to shut-up at the same time.
One of my favorite lines to use with DHB when he's cranky

"Butcha are, Blanche….ya are in that wheelchair!"

I'll be using it a lot on our next trip to the World as one of our friends has occasional foot/knee problems and we will be taking a wheelchair for her.
Disneyland Paris: 1999, 2001

Dreaming for Tokyo and Hong Kong....
SeattleRedBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:31 PM   #69
colaboy29
Mouseketeer

That's so cruel....but funny!
Old 06-12-2009, 01:36 PM   #70
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't know if that's a good thing to be called, or a bad thing.

They think I am odd and nuts already, so from them it is a good thing. This way they have a crazy aunt they can talk about at parties.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:59 PM   #71
bonybroad
I'm addicted to smilies!

Another straight girl chiming in....
We were there Thurs thru Thurs last week. I saw one group of people wearing red shrts. I also saw groups of tie-dyed shirts, lime green shirts, orange shirts, family vacation shirts, etc.
Should I have been treating the red shirts differently? Cuz all I did was smile and go about my business. Just like the other color shirts.
People need to remember to mind their own business, and if something offends you, look at something else.
bonybroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:55 PM   #72
jenn&nelsonrego
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP Happiness is marrying someone you can annoy for the rest of your life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonybroad View Post
Should I have been treating the red shirts differently?
From one straight girl to another... Respect is good.

Quote:
Cuz all I did was smile and go about my business. Just like the other color shirts.

Quote:
People need to remember to mind their own business, and if something offends you, look at something else.
Well mind their own business and get over themselves!
Old 06-13-2009, 08:24 PM   #73
Sphyrna
DIS Veteran

I uploaded some of my pics to the photobucket page, finally

http://s650.photobucket.com/albums/uu230/wdwgd2009/
Sphyrna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:01 AM   #74
maleficent's goon
Earning My Ears

I think that Mariachi band was on my plane back home to CA--they had won some competition while there. They weren't any more annoying then your typical teenagers but it made for a VERY looooooooong flight...especially with their need to play musical chairs. Thank merciful god nobody asked them to break out a tune!
maleficent's goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:21 AM   #75
inkkognito
I shall call him Mini-Me
I fart cigarette-scented farts!

DH had a funny post-Gay Days experience at SeaWorld today. He was on a man date with a straight friend (who ironically works in Disney Entertainment), and they were waiting in line to ride Atlantis. They were chatting about Gay Days, and there was a gay couple in front of them whose ears perked up, and they all spent the remainder of their wait time chatting. DH will talk anyone's ear off, gay or straight, but he didn't realize one little fact that his friend pointed out later...that the guys thought they were a couple too! DH has great gaydar but he can be quite oblivious to other things. Oh well, it doesn't bother him to be mistaken for a gay guy...every year he proudly wears red at MK in support and he did get goo goo eyes from one guy there this year, hee hee.
inkkognito is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: