Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2009, 11:48 AM   #76
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annnewjerz View Post
1. Wired cable release. I have a wireless remote for my camera to use for fireworks, group shots, light painting, etc. and it has been nothing but a headache. It only works sometimes, you have to be standing in front of the camera for the sensor to pick it up. It's been a headache already and I haven't even used it on Bulb which requires the remote to work not once, but twice for one shot......I can't see that happening. I can see me standing there watching wishes with one shot containing every firework that is set off because I couldn't get my shutter to close.

6. Memory cards. I need to buy some new 4gb SDHC memory cards. I don't need them for our October trip, but we are skipping the laptop since we're only going for three days and I figure that since this is my first trip to Disney with a dSLR, having extra memory can't hurt.
I haven't gotten the wireless remote yet because after reading about it I thought that would be exactly what would happen. Since it's an IR remote, you have to point it exactly at the right spot. I do have the Canon wired remote and it works great.

I also picked up two more 8GB SDHC cards. Newegg had A-Data (I've heard of the brand, but never used it before) class 6 cards for $15 a piece. I had two already, but that would limit me to 1000 pictures (RAW files). I'm not sure that would be enough! 2000 seems like a more reasonable limit.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:21 PM   #77
annnewjerz
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot241 View Post
I haven't gotten the wireless remote yet because after reading about it I thought that would be exactly what would happen. Since it's an IR remote, you have to point it exactly at the right spot. I do have the Canon wired remote and it works great.

I also picked up two more 8GB SDHC cards. Newegg had A-Data (I've heard of the brand, but never used it before) class 6 cards for $15 a piece. I had two already, but that would limit me to 1000 pictures (RAW files). I'm not sure that would be enough! 2000 seems like a more reasonable limit.
I think I must have gotten a dud wireless remote for my camera. I got the same one everyone else uses made by Nikon for about $15 and I have to stand right next to the camera---aim it at the exact spot the sensor is and half the time even that doesn't work. Needless to say it has made for some really frustrating times when trying to use my camera on a tripod in the pitch black. The wired remote might be a little more limiting in the fact that I can't get in a picture with it---but that's not what I use the remote and tripod for anyway.

I'll have to check out the deal you got on NewEgg. I already have 22gb of memory, but one of my 4gb cards is corrupt (or at least I'm pretty sure it is) and while I'm sure 18gb would be way more than I need for a three day trip, I'm going to purchase more for our December trip anyway, so I might as well get it now.
Register to remove

Old 08-24-2009, 04:26 PM   #78
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Oooh! I like the sound of that lense pen! Do they work for rinkydink "prosumer" cameras, or just them DSLRS?
Old 08-24-2009, 07:53 PM   #79
annnewjerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
Oooh! I like the sound of that lense pen! Do they work for rinkydink "prosumer" cameras, or just them DSLRS?
They do indeed work for "rinkydink prosumer cameras." Here is the one I use, although there are many brands other than Nikon, of course.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:28 AM   #80
annnewjerz

I've been seriously slacking on this October PTR---but with the trip getting so close I figured it was time to start with the updates again. This one is kind of a mix-up of multiple random topics that have been floating around in my head for some time now, rather than a separate post for each.

1. I ordered a new lens yesterday and should have it today, just in time to have a full month or so of playing/practicing/learning to make sure I can put it to good use in The World. I also borrowed a lens from a very kind fellow DISer, Karyl (spinetnglr) that I plan to bring with me for our weekend trip and return to her when we meet up at MNSSHP on the 18th. Relating to photography, I also purchased a bunch of things on my "To Buy" list for the trip. I got some film, a new lens pen, some memory cards, a cable release for night shots and a new scanner. I asked for a new backpack, a second battery and a new filter for my birthday and if all goes well, I will have those before leaving on the 17th.

2. They extended the Wishes dessert party. For any of you who don't know what that is, it's a private party at the Tomorrowland Terrace Noodle Station. They set out all different kinds of desserts and drinks, and you get to have a special spot to view Wishes from, rather than being trampled on Main Street. I was considering trying to get us a reservation for this for the night of my birthday, but we already have dinner reservations at The Plaza and to pay $20 something more per person just to sit at some tables, snack on desserts and see Wishes seems a little wasteful for this trip. If they extend it into December, maaaaaybe I'll consider doing it then as something nice for my Mom.

3. I think I've resigned myself to the fact that we will be flying out of Baltimore. I booked on Southwest from Baltimore, which is 2 hours from our house, because they have $49 flights each way. I was secretly hoping that Southwest from Philadelphia would drop to $79 or less each way since that's only 35 minutes from our house, but they haven't yet (at least not for non-stop prime time flights)---so I think we'll just stick with Baltimore. It's only an hour and a half further, and the original plan was to drive ALL THE WAY to WDW and back in 3 days, so I think the extra 1.5 hours in the car should be more than tolerable.

4. Speaking of flights, I need to book my Magical Express still. I have no idea how to do this since usually we book a package instead of a room-only, but how hard can it be, right?? I'm sure someone can help me with it.

I think that'll be it for now. There's a lot going on and with my 90 day period approaching for our trip in December, I'm much more focused on that trip for the time being. Once I sign on and make all of our ADRs next weekend on the 13th, I'm hoping I can come back and pay this PTR a little bit more attention since this trip is only 43 days away now!!!!
Old 09-03-2009, 10:57 AM   #81
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

For Magical Express you can just call Disney normal reservation line and they can connect you. I believe they can also add the info onto the reservation themselves.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:01 AM   #82
annnewjerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygirlinnj View Post
For Magical Express you can just call Disney normal reservation line and they can connect you. I believe they can also add the info onto the reservation themselves.
Well, our course you can!! I knew that, I was just trying to keep my PTR readers on their toes.

Thanks for the info, I'll have to give em a call on lunch after I check Southwest just ooooone last time.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:26 AM   #83
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
I've been seriously slacking on this October PTR---but with the trip getting so close I figured it was time to start with the updates again. This one is kind of a mix-up of multiple random topics that have been floating around in my head for some time now, rather than a separate post for each.

1. I ordered a new lens yesterday and should have it today, just in time to have a full month or so of playing/practicing/learning to make sure I can put it to good use in The World. I also borrowed a lens from a very kind fellow DISer, Karyl (spinetnglr) that I plan to bring with me for our weekend trip and return to her when we meet up at MNSSHP on the 18th. Relating to photography, I also purchased a bunch of things on my "To Buy" list for the trip. I got some film, a new lens pen, some memory cards, a cable release for night shots and a new scanner. I asked for a new backpack, a second battery and a new filter for my birthday and if all goes well, I will have those before leaving on the 17th.
New lens?!?! What kind? Also, what lens are you borrowing?

Film... what's that? Something to put over the lens?

If I were to get anything else, it would probably be a circular polarizer for the Sigma 30mm, but it's too late to order one now.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:31 AM   #84
annnewjerz

Quote:
New lens?!?! What kind? Also, what lens are you borrowing?

Film... what's that? Something to put over the lens?

If I were to get anything else, it would probably be a circular polarizer for the Sigma 30mm, but it's too late to order one now.
Yes, new lens. I got the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 UWA lens. It had been on backorder FOREVER and I started to think I might have to get the Sigma 10-20 instead, which wasn't really what I wanted, but B&H finally got some in stock and one day later, it's here!

I'm borrowing the Nikon 10.5mm fisheye lens. It's a lot of fun, but definitely a "specialty" lens. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can get with it in WDW, since a lot of the stuff I've shot around here with it has been less than interesting.

It's never too late to order something new. That's what overnight shipping from B&H, Adorama or Amazon is for
Old 09-03-2009, 11:38 AM   #85
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Yes, new lens. I got the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 UWA lens. It had been on backorder FOREVER and I started to think I might have to get the Sigma 10-20 instead, which wasn't really what I wanted, but B&H finally got some in stock and one day later, it's here!

I'm borrowing the Nikon 10.5mm fisheye lens. It's a lot of fun, but definitely a "specialty" lens. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can get with it in WDW, since a lot of the stuff I've shot around here with it has been less than interesting.
I took a look at that Tokina. Might be something to get down the line. What I really need is a good telephoto first.

A fisheye looks like fun, but that'll be something for later too.

Amazon has me spoiled in not paying for shipping at all most of the time, so I hate paying a lot for shipping. CP is going to have to wait (besides, I don't need to spend $80 on a filter right now... that $80 will probably be spent in WDW).
Old 09-03-2009, 11:46 AM   #86
annnewjerz

Quote:
I took a look at that Tokina. Might be something to get down the line. What I really need is a good telephoto first.
That's next on my list, the 80-200 f/2.8. I have the 18-200 right now which is a good all-purpose walk-around lens, but it leaves a little to be desired.

Quote:
Amazon has me spoiled in not paying for shipping at all most of the time, so I hate paying a lot for shipping. CP is going to have to wait (besides, I don't need to spend $80 on a filter right now... that $80 will probably be spent in WDW).
Same here, I always use the free shipping from Amazon because it comes most times from Delaware or Pennsylvania and will get here for me next-day or second-day regardless.

You can definitely spend less than $80 on a CP filter. I posted a thread a while back and got recommendations and right now Adorama has a Tiffen 77mm CP (which I believe might be the size you need for the Sigma 30) for $35 on sale.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:01 PM   #87
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
That's next on my list, the 80-200 f/2.8. I have the 18-200 right now which is a good all-purpose walk-around lens, but it leaves a little to be desired.

Same here, I always use the free shipping from Amazon because it comes most times from Delaware or Pennsylvania and will get here for me next-day or second-day regardless.

You can definitely spend less than $80 on a CP filter. I posted a thread a while back and got recommendations and right now Adorama has a Tiffen 77mm CP (which I believe might be the size you need for the Sigma 30) for $35 on sale.
It's 62mm, but Adorama does have a Tiffen for $26.50. I wonder how much shipping is...

ETA: $36.85 for Next Day!!! That's more than the cost of the filter! Well, forget that... I don't trust getting 2-day shipping.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:07 PM   #88
annnewjerz

Quote:
It's 62mm, but Adorama does have a Tiffen for $26.50. I wonder how much shipping is...
Well if for some strange reason you decide to get one, don't forget to get some step-up/down rings so you can use it on your kit lens as well.

ETA: They have the same filter on Amazon.com for $29 and it's only $17 for next day shipping
Old 09-08-2009, 11:12 AM   #89
annnewjerz

So it's time to get back on the ball with this PTR. I have been slacking, because the 90 day mark for our December trip is rapidly approaching---this coming Sunday I get to make my ADRs

First and foremost, I hope everyone had a great holiday weekend. Ours was way too busy and the three days just flew by. We had a family picnic on Saturday, another on Sunday and a cook-out with the neighbors on Monday. Doesn't sound like too much, but add that to the housework, the cooking for the picnics, etc. and it was exhausting!!

I can't believe Summer is pretty much over already. I didn't step foot on the New Jersey shore even once this whole season, and considering they found medical waste on the beaches this weekend (i.e. needles, feminine hygiene products, etc.) I'm kind of happy I didn't.

Yesterday we had the dogs out back to give them their last treat of the summer, a watermelon that had been sitting on the counter getting ripe for a few weeks. They loved it and per a request over on the Photo Board's "Pets" thread---I documented it.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:05 AM   #90
KathyRN137
...and the greatest of these is Love

Great doggie pix, Ann!

Good luck with your ADRs Sunday!

Kathy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: