Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2009, 12:02 PM   #16
Stitchfans
Tres Charming
I cry at a drop of a hat
55 scares me
Can you dip the shortbread in chocolate?
*~*The T.F*~*
let the stupidity begin!

only 10 years old. so sad!
Old 06-04-2009, 12:05 PM   #17
LuvOrlando
DIS Veteran

-
1993 WDL & WDW PORR for Honeymoon,94 PORR,95 OKW,96 PORR,98 Hilton, 2000 PORR,03Poly&Univ Porto, 04 WL & 04 Cont & Univ Porto,05 AKL&Univ Porto & Poly,06PORR&UnivRP, 07AKL&UnivPorto&Poly,10Hilton&PORFQ,11Hilton&Poly, 12Poly,13CB&Univ Porto (I think I'm missing a few trips in there LOL)

Last edited by LuvOrlando; 10-23-2011 at 03:44 PM.
LuvOrlando is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-04-2009, 12:30 PM   #18
agnes!
*sigh*
He had a yowl that could peel paper
I would never joke around about making money
My AI Loser Tag

My sympathies to the family & friends of the little boy. Here's his picture:

Kind of scary that there were 20-25 students in the pool area AND 12 chaperones AND 2 teachers...that's more than a 2-1 ratio of adults/children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvOrlando View Post
... I would, however, recommend a buddy system with the restrooms because there are many many teens roaming around who take day bus trips without adults.... JMO
My rule when chaperoning on school trips and in Girl Scouts was "3(or however many were in the small-group) go in? Then 3 *better* come out."

We had always emphasized this but all it took, on an overnight camping-trip, was for one little Brownie to get left behind at the bathroom by some careless friends (what made it really scary for her is that it was after dark)...
NEVER *ever* happened again in any group I had responsibility for.

agnes!

*this* spot still sacred to
Those no longer here - you are not forgotten...........
(also remembering all the pets who have owned me, including "James", "Sugar", "Gabriel" & "Nancy")
Thanks to Grumpy Pirate I sometimes do have a seasonal smilie. I also remember when American Idol was GOOD.
Do not read beauty magazines...they will only make you feel UGLY.
agnes! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:35 PM   #19
MrsPete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie824 View Post
Thats so sad.

See, as a parent, I may be one of the few, but at 5th grade I don't think the kids need to be going out of town or overnights or anything like that on fields trips. I don't even like it at high school age. Its just not needed.
I agree.

Church groups, scout groups -- those are smaller in number, and the kids know their leaders better. That's a different story. The supervision is better -- or, if it's not better, the parents should be involved enough to recognize it. But school groups are just too large and too disorganized, while the number of teachers available to chaperone is too small. I don't know why schools have decided in the last couple years that they "should" offer overnight field trips.

My daughters' middle school tends to take an excessive number of trips -- some overnight, some quite expensive -- and I have not been impressed with the numbers of supervising adults. I've said no a couple times, and she's thought it was awfully unfair.
MrsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:36 PM   #20
Jynohn
DIS Veteran

This thread makes me so sad. My son's teammate drowned while they were at football camp in Maine two years ago. I'll never forget getting the phone call, my husband and I were at Disney at the time.

Prayers for this poor boy's family and all of his classmates.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:39 PM   #21
yoopermom
Suffers from too many teenage Stephen King influences

Thanks, Agnes, for posting the pic, look at that sweet face

This got me to thinking, DS's school a few years back changed their Mackinac Island trip into a "one day" trip. They leave at 4 a.m. and don't get home until midnight, but at least they're not sleeping/swimming somewhere in a situation that could go bad. They take a charter bus, so everyone is comfortable and can sleep on it, too.

Terri
yoopermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:46 PM   #22
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

Terribly sad.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:09 PM   #23
Luv2Scrap
The only way is if you have the Gypsy
Y'all are going to get me in so much trouble with my supervisor!
The new baby was much more interactive

That is absolutely heartbreaking! My son's 5th grade class did an end of the year trip to a lake last year. I was really uncomfortable with it being in a lake as opposed to a pool, but I realize that even a pool can be dangerous.

there was an incident here a year or so ago that a couple families were partying at a hotel pool and one of their very young children drowned right in front of them. I just don't understand how that can happen. I barely even took my eyes off my son while he was in swim lessons!
Nov '09 Pop - free dining
Aug '10 CSR - Free dining and BCV for our first DVC trip home!
Jan '12 CSR - Free dining
Luv2Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:29 PM   #24
Geoff_M
DIS Veteran, DVC Member, "Cum Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc"

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnes! View Post
Kind of scary that there were 20-25 students in the pool area AND 12 chaperones AND 2 teachers...that's more than a 2-1 ratio of adults/children.
We had a student drown here a couple three years ago at the end-of-the-year pool party at one of our middle school pools. There were two classes of 5th graders, IIRC, swimming at the pool while teachers, some parent chaperons AND certified lifeguards supervised the party. Unfortunately, one boy slipped underwater unnoticed and laid there for several minutes before he was spotted. Police investigation determined that the supervision was in place at the time, there was not excessive "horseplay" involved, the pool was under its swimmer capacity, and proper procedures were being followed. It was a terrible accident.

In addition to the family of the child, keep the teachers and parents in mind too. The lifeguards in the above case were high-schoolers and my wife knows the family of one of them. Their child had to deal with a lot of emotional problems due to the fact that they internalized a lot of "guilt" that the boy's death was "their fault" even though they had been cleared by the investigation.

"Cry 'Havoc', and let slip Tomas Holmstrom!!!"

"In-a da crease... Out-a da crease... In-a da crease... Out-a da crease!!!!"

"Way, way back many centuries ago... Not long after the Bible began..."

Last edited by Geoff_M; 06-04-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Geoff_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:33 PM   #25
C.Ann
We'll remember when...
No time for green bananas
When the going gets tough, she gets the Palmolive!!
If I knew we were going to be graded here, I might try harder

So sad.. Every parents worse nightmare..
----------------------------------------

"I wrote your name in the sand,
but the waves washed it away.
I wrote your name in the sky,
but the wind blew it away.
So I wrote your name in my heart,
and thatís where it will stay.."

"We won't be sad, we'll be glad
for all the life we've had
and we'll remember when...."
C.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:05 PM   #26
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

So sad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie824 View Post
...but at 5th grade I don't think the kids need to be going out of town or overnights or anything like that on fields trips. I don't even like it at high school age. Its just not needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPete View Post
I don't know why schools have decided in the last couple years that they "should" offer overnight field trips.
FWIW back in the 70s our elementary school (and surrounding ones as well) had a big week (I think) camp for the 5th graders. It's still going on now, as far as I know. We slept in cabins, we hiked, played...I'm sure we swam though I have no memory of it. It was a very fun experience and quite a big deal in that you knew in 5th grade you'd go, and you looked forward to it growing up.

Of course, it's different for me to think of my 5th grade experience, vs thinking of sending DS off somewhere when he's 10.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:28 PM   #27
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

How awful. My heart goes out to his family.

My dd has a class trip planned for Monday and they will be using the pool. I was already a nervous wreck, I really shouldn't have opened this thread
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:41 PM   #28
ClarabelleCowFan
Found Someone You Have
There's always a shortage of Barbie legs
I'm as coordinated as a drunk duck
Has never owned a guinea pig
If I see a vein I'm done!

He is adorable. What a tragedy!
Old 06-04-2009, 02:43 PM   #29
hrh_disney_queen
My DH has the hots for Stacey
Momma wuvs her little kitty-kitty, oh yes she does, oh, yes she does
I knew what he was before I touched him, just never thought they could MOVE that fast

That is so tragic. Everyone is going to be affected by this, I hope there are counselors at the school to help. Looking at that boy's empty desk is going to be heartbreaking.

I let my DS11 go on his first overnight away from us a few weeks ago. It was an overnight to WDW, arriving at Epcot around noon for the rest of the night, then sleeping at an offsite hotel, going back to spend the entire day at AK. Then on the bus at 5 and home at 10. This was a perfect way for us to start this away from home process. The student to chaperone ratio was 4/1, they were never ever allowed to go anywhere alone, no "meet you back here in 30 minutes" stuff. They all had to sleep together and do everything together in their small group. They were not allowed to swim, they didn't have time anyway, but it was stressed in the handouts there would be no swimming. (That doesn't count the drenching they got in the parks-it rained A LOT!)

The school does this every year for the outgoing 5th graders. I didn't want him to go at first, in fact tried to talk him out of it several times. But he really wanted to go. And after the meetings with the teachers and tour group, I felt comfortable and confident with the school, parents,. and tour group taking care of my son for one night. I don't think I would have wanted him away for longer than that. BTW, he had a ball...they all did. There were two tour buses-both full.

"There's such a thing as good grief. Just ask Charlie Brown." Michael Scott..................Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.
hrh_disney_queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:47 PM   #30
hentob
Sanita clogs are fabulous
It was the best surprise
He knows to turn his ringer off

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvOrlando View Post
If it makes you feel any better, I've been to Dorney Park many, many times and can tell you the lifeguards watching over the water areas are extremely vigilant. They stand over the pool area and do not hesitate to intervene if rough housing of any kind goes on in the water.
With that being said, there has been a drowning death at Dorney in the past

I worked there years ago and these lifeguards are just kids themselves...getting paid a low wage.

Dorney's Wild Water Kingdom is PACKED with children that are bussed in day after day. Many of these kids are not able to swim, yet there parents let them come and do the water park

I would NOT rely on any lifeguard. I would make sure my child was a VERY strong swimmer before I sent him/her on a swim trip without me. Even then, I would not be sure I would allow them to go

Those poor parents
hentob is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: