Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2009, 10:53 AM   #61
disneylovinfamily
DIS Veteran

Love teh shirt! Love the DISigners! We have had family shirts on some trips and always get alot of compliments.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:29 PM   #62
crocko
DVC Member

Update on ADR research.

Again, thanks to the new online system, in the morning I'm testing availability of Crystal Palace and Ohana to get a feeling of whether we should get our goal slots.

This morning, I checked about 3 hours after phone lines opened up.

At that point, both restaurants were available for reservations within 15 minutes of my preferred time slot. Very good!
With my sister calling first thing on Friday morning, I'm feeling pretty confident. I'll still research again tomorrow. Have to feed my Disney planning addiction somehow.
Saratoga Springs (2008, 2011)
Animal Kingdom Lodge (2009)
Old Key West (2009)
Beach Club (2010, 2011)
Wilderness Lodge (2011)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-17-2009, 02:05 PM   #63
crocko
DVC Member

Okay....gonna spend a few posts discussing something I look forward to on this trip.

PIN TRADING!

I've taken pictures of all my Disney pins and will be presenting them with my thoughts. What do I like best? What do I want to keep? What gets put in the bag to be traded!?

First, I mentioned that I recently acquired 20 Disney pins from ebay. They made it here on Monday, so I will start with showing the 20 pins I most recently purchased (for only $22 total!!)

Okay....7 of the 20 were from this really cute Pirates of the Caribbean collection. Chip, Dale, Donald, Goofy, Mickey, Minnie, and Pluto. These are very cute and my wife likes them as well. We'll probably actually end up keeping these 7. [From what I can tell...this is the complete 7-pin set...originally sold for $29.99]

Next....7 pins -- Muppets characters wearing Mickey ears -- Animal, Bunson, Beaker, Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie, and Gonzo. [Another 7-pin set that originally sold for $29.99] They are cute and it is fun that I have the whole set...but am willing to trade these. Probably wouldn't be first to trade...but, I'll probably end up taking them with me.

Then....the other 6 pins. Tinker Bell wearing a Goofy hat. Mickey as Sorcerer's Apprentice. Pluto pin. Dumbo pin. Blue fairy pin. Weird circle-shaped Mickey pin. Except that I might end up giving the Tink pin to my sister-in-law, all of these are definitely open for trading. (Good! That's why I bought these in the first place).

So, from that batch....probably 12 pins ready to take with me to trade.

Up next....the pins I already owned -->
Old Key West (2009)
Beach Club (2010, 2011)
Wilderness Lodge (2011)

Last edited by crocko; 06-17-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:01 PM   #64
disneylovinfamily
DIS Veteran

Love the pirate pins! I want them! Was this a grab bag type of thing where you didn't knwo what you were getting? Could you pm me the seller info?
Old 06-17-2009, 03:07 PM   #65
crocko
DVC Member

Just sent you a pm.
Old Key West (2009)
Beach Club (2010, 2011)
Wilderness Lodge (2011)
Old 06-18-2009, 09:14 AM   #66
crocko
DVC Member

13 WEEKS TO GO!!!

Which means that on the Disney Alphabet countdown we are now halfway through.

Last night, Joshua and Samantha watched their "M" movie as they finished off that letter.
They watched Mulan. (I don't think this is one of Joshua's favorites)

Now on to the letter N

The Letter N
Ride - Seas with Nemo & Friends (Expecting both the kids to really enjoy this ride....plus the Bruce afterward)
Non-ride - Norway (As a specific country, Norway represents going to the Wolrd Showcase, but I picked it specifically because we will be going there to have a character breakfast...Akershus)
Characters: Nemo, Nala, Neera (Dinosaur), Nana (Peter Pan), Noni (Lilo & Stitch), Nanny (Dalmatians)

Now....off to do my research for the day on ADR's.
Old Key West (2009)
Beach Club (2010, 2011)
Wilderness Lodge (2011)
Old 06-18-2009, 09:19 AM   #67
crocko
DVC Member

ADR research update:

It is over 3 hours after phone lines opened up this morning.
Crystal Palace still had 8:20am availability (so not bad)
Ohana had availability only 5 minutes off of what I asked for. Excellent!

Tomorrow's the big day....Less than 21 hours until my sister gets on the phone.
Old Key West (2009)
Beach Club (2010, 2011)
Wilderness Lodge (2011)
Old 06-18-2009, 09:47 AM   #68
crocko
DVC Member

Okay....with those posts out of the way, back to presenting my pins:

8 pins on this pic:
Mickey behind a star depicting the state flag of Oklahoma. As someone who has lived in Oklahoma all my life, this is a cool one and a keeper.
Buzz Lightyear pin. Cool character...will probably depend on the kids. If they want it, we'll keep...otherwise, I'm willing to trade.
Belle portrait. I like Belle and this is a nice pin, but I'd be willing to trade....have to get by the girls first. Bridgette loves Belle and Samantha told me last night she wants to collect princesses. So, we'll see.
Tinkerbell pin. I'm definitely up for trading this one....again, what will Samantha say?
Fantasia 1940 poster. I love Disney movie posters and because of that will probably hold on to this one.
Talespin pin. Hmm....this is a tough one. I loved those old Disney shows when I was growing up. Probably have to keep this one.
The Parent Trap! pin. It's a cool pin...and I like the original movie, but doesn't fit into any collection I foresee having. Probably a trader.
Lumierre and Cogsworth, Be Our Guest. Hmm....very nice pin from a movie that both Bridgette and I really like. In the end, probably leave this decision up to Bridgette.

7 pins on this pic:
Phoebus and Esmeralda heart pin. Nice pin, but no sentimental value. Let's take it to WDW!
Merlin 1963 pin. I love this movie! Executive decision -- this pin stays.
Donald Duck drum pin. I love Donald Duck....will be on the lookout for Donald pins....so this one is a keeper.
Scrooge McDuck checking out a coin. If there were a character to rival my love of Donald it would be Scrooge. Anything with Scrooge I find on the trip will be snatched up by me. This one is a keeper.
Buzz and Woody, "You've Got a Friend in Me". Very nice pin. Hmm....I'm up in the air...probably rely on family's thoughts.
Monster's Inc pin. Same as previous....(maybe I should start a Pixar collection)
Toy Story 2, "When Somebody Loves You". Another Pixar! Bridgette likes this song a lot....probably a keeper.

6 pins on this pic:
Pumbaa and Timon. Cool pin...but unless kids want it, I'd be willing to trade.
Tarzan and Jane, Two Worlds pin. Good movie and great song (by the way, today is Tarzan's 10th anniversary) Not sure about this one....probable trade, but I'm going to have to ruminate about it.
Figaro 1940 pin. If it were up to me, this pin would be traded...but Bridgette loves Figaro...so probably going into her keeper pile.
Emperor's New Groove 2000 pin. I love this movie. Another executive decision. This one stays.
Touchdown Mickey 1932 pin. Cool pin.....probably will be decided by rather I want to have a "sports" collection or not.
Peter Pan, Return to Neverland pin. Nice pin....not sure on this one...family??

5 new pins on this pic (already looked at Figaro and Peter Pan):
Donald Duck golfing. Donald = keeper.
Grumpy breaking golf club. This is a keeper. We got this one either after or because of playing miniature golf (either 2001 or 2002). Bridgette isn't the best and she used to be on a big Grumpy kick. So this is a good "memory pin".
Mickey and Donald, 1983 pin. (looked up info on this one) This is one of the 100 Years of Dreams pins. Once again...Donald = keeper. (plus Donald + Mickey...cool!)
Babes in Toyland pin. Another childhood favorite movie of mine. Maybe that's a good name for a mini-collection. Keeper.
Beauty and the Beast in mirror. I'd be willing to trade, but maybe Bridgette wants a B&B collection.

Wow...this is really fun, haven't looked at these in a long time...but it's getting me really excited.

More pins to come!
Old Key West (2009)
Beach Club (2010, 2011)
Wilderness Lodge (2011)
Old 06-18-2009, 10:21 AM   #69
cheap traveler
DIS Veteran

Location: A tiny town not even on the map, between Albany and NYC

Ok, where have I been? I never saw anything past page 3!! Now that I have woken up, I love your pins. We did the same thing with our old ones. All 3 of us sat down and went throught them to see what was for trading, what was for keeping. There was very little argument overall.
There were 2 princess ones that I wanted in the the trade pile but the girls didn't. I reminded them that our objective is to collect a full-body pin of each princess. These are head only shots, so they are out.
We did get all the same pins from e-bay. Glad you liked them and got some traders.

Loving the letter updates! Good luck tomorrow morning with your ADRs

Me31 DD10 DD7
Old 06-18-2009, 10:25 AM   #70
crocko
DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap traveler View Post
We did the same thing with our old ones. All 3 of us sat down and went throught them to see what was for trading, what was for keeping. There was very little argument overall.
There were 2 princess ones that I wanted in the the trade pile but the girls didn't. I reminded them that our objective is to collect a full-body pin of each princess. These are head only shots, so they are out.
Very cool. I'm looking forward to all 4 of us gathering together and going through all these. If the kids start deciding every pin is a keeper, I'll probably have to work on helping them figure out what specifically they want to "collect." Not sure about Joshua, but as of right now, I think Samantha will be leaning towards Princesses (Ariel, specifically) and anything High School Musical. LOL -- man, I've got a girly girl.
Old Key West (2009)
Beach Club (2010, 2011)
Wilderness Lodge (2011)
Old 06-18-2009, 12:11 PM   #71
stacikristine
DIS Veteran

All of your pins look great! How fun. I'm thankful for your ADR research too. It looks like I won't be doing online booking anyway, because I rented from a DVC member, and they can't book 90+10...So I'll have to call. So you're pretty confident in the old fashioned phone system? I'm nervous about some of my popular ones! Maybe it'll free the phone lines up since people can book online... Tell your sister good luck!!!

Upcoming: Dec 2012 Animal Kingdom VillasSept 2009 Animal Kingdom Villas (PTR) (TR: 1st Trip as Mr. & Mrs.) Oct 2006 POP Century June 2003 Fort Wilderness Campground July 1989 Off-site

Old 06-18-2009, 01:52 PM   #72
crocko
DVC Member

Pin Fever is setting in.......on to the next batch!

8 pins in this pic:
Disney, Alameda Street entrance. This is a neat one, but not something I plan on getting more of. So, probably going to put in the trade pile.
Disney's All-Star Resorts. In 2002, Bridgette and I stayed at the All-Star Movies resort. So, unless I can find specifically a Movies pin...I'll keep this one as a trip souvenir.
Fox & the Hound, Best of friends, spinny pin. Cute movie...but not necessarily a keeper for me. Not certain, but probably going to put in trade pile.
Trashin the Camp. I absolutely love this song. Cute pin as well. Going to keep this one.
Cince de Mayo, May 5 2002. Got this one on our 2002 trip...I don't think we were there on May 5th, but shortly after. So....at this point, I'm leaning towards keeper.
Daisy Power. LOL -- very funny that I have this one. I'm MORE than willing to trade it....(as long as I can get it past those pesky girls).
Animal Kingdom, Backstage Safari. Can't read it all, but I believe this is the pin we got for doing the Backstage Safari tour at AK. It was a fun tour and definitely want to keep this souvenir.
Uncle Scrooge, face. Remember the rule? Scrooge = keeper.

6 pins in this pic:
Ariel & Eric, "Kiss the Girl". I'm not afraid to admit that this is one of my favorite Disney songs. Plus, I know Samantha wants Ariel pins...so, I'll let her add this one to her collection.
Pluto's Christmas Tree, 1952. I believe this is another one of those 100 Years of Memories pins. Unless Bridgette likes it because it is Christmas-themed, I say Trade It!
April Fool's 2002, Goofy dressed like Mickey. Another one we managed to pick up in May 2002. It is a silly pin, but I like holiday pins...and it is from a year we were there. Probably a keeper.
Mickey Mouse 1940, Comics & Stories. KEEPER!! I LOVE Disney comics!! Any pin comic book related will definitely be a keeper/want to acquire.
Mickey Mouse, First Comic Strip 1940. Neat pin. Doesn't really fit into a collection, but a cool historical pin. Probably a keeper.
House of Mouse pin. Sorry this one is hard to see. Fun pin, but probably going in the trade pile.

5 pins in this pic:
Dumbo & Mrs. Jumbo pin. It's a very sweet pin, but I'm up for trading if I don't get vetoed.
Mickey Thru the Mirror 1936. I do like this short, but am willing to trade.
McDonald's Bug's Life pin. I used to love McDonald's but don't eat there near as much these days...I'm willing to trade this one.
100 Years, Mickey pin. One of the 100 Years of Memories pins. In some ways it is ugly, but also cool. We were at WDW in 2001, so this one is a nice souvenir pin to keep.
Walt Disney, locket pin. Another cool Disney pin to commemorate his 100th birthday in 2001. Keeper.

6 pins in this pic:
Darkwing Duck, 1991. This is a tough one. I like Darkwing....but.... Well, probably depends on what I decide to do with Talespin. Probably will either keep or trade both....leaning towards keep.
Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers, 1989. Same boat for this pin. Plus, I really like Chip & Dale. Also, as a kid, I have memories of being in Old Port Royale at Caribbean Beach for breakfast and watching Rescue Rangers on one of the TV's in there. Good times!
The Black Cauldron. Part of me wants to keep this just because this is an under-appreciated Disney movie. Hmm.....I'll think about it.
Team Disney Building. I love this building at WDW. But, do I need it? I'll discuss with the family and go from there.
100 Years of Magic pin. Another fun souvenir pin from our 2001 Disneymoon. Plus, I see Donald on it. Keeper!
Buzz Lightyear. Cool Buzz pin. I'll leave this one up to Joshua. Of the two Buzz pins so far, I definitely like this one better.

LOL....while at lunch today, all I could think about was pins. Somebody slap me!

By the way, just over 16 hours until ADR's.

More pins to come later today/tomorrow....
Old Key West (2009)
Beach Club (2010, 2011)
Wilderness Lodge (2011)
Old 06-19-2009, 07:40 AM   #73
cheap traveler
DIS Veteran

Location: A tiny town not even on the map, between Albany and NYC

Hey, watching for your ADRs. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!!

Me31 DD10 DD7
Old 06-19-2009, 07:55 AM   #74
crocko
DVC Member

90 DAYS TO GO!!!! WOOHOO!!!!

Now the planning can REALLY get serious.

As listed previously, my hopes for ADR's:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocko View Post

Here's our current meal planning (summarized):

Sep 17 (THU) - 'Ohana @ 7pm (anywhere from 6:30-8:00 ressie will be fine)
Sep 18 (FRI) - Crystal Palace @ 8am (latest we want to start is 8:45)
Sep 20 (SUN) - Akershus @ 10am (anywhere 9:30-whenever is fine)
Sep 21 (MON) - Tusker House @ 10:30am (basically as late as we can get)
Sep 21 (MON) - Boma @ 6pm (anytime 6 or after is fine)
Sep 25 (FRI) - Play 'N' Dine @ 8am (as early as possible, basically)

What did we get?

Sep 17 (THU) - 'Ohana @ 7:10pm (Excellent!)
Sep 18 (FRI) - Crystal Palace @ 8:20am (Not very first thing, but still early and before the park opens up. Should finish right at or shortly after park opens. Whew!)
Sep 20 (SUN) - Akershus @ 9:35am (A little earlier than we were going for, but no big deal...glad to get this place for this day)
Sep 21 (MON) - Tusker House @ 10:00am (Perfect! We'll have @ 1 1/2 hours to do park stuff before we have to worry about heading toward Africa for breakfast.)
Sep 21 (MON) - Boma @ 7:00pm (Very good. Plan is to spend all day at AK...then head back to the Lodge, relax, and not be rushed for the 3 attendees of this meal to get to their ressie)
Sep 25 (FRI) - Play 'N' Dine @ 8:05am (Haha! We managed to get a first thing reservation. This will be just me, wife, and kids. We'll have a nice early, relaxed breakfast and then we can let the kids direct the rest of the day)
Sep 25 (FRI) - Kona Cafe @ 8:20am (Meanwhile, my sis and parents will be heading over to Poly for their breakfast...afterward, I think they plan on taking in Day 1 of the Food & Wine Festival at some point)

Yay!!!! Got everything we wanted within 25 minutes of our desired times.

As I said above...now we can get really serious about planning.

Note: as many times as I've been to Disney World, I have actually never been to the Crystal Palace

Very excited about this being our first experience on our first full day.
Old Key West (2009)
Beach Club (2010, 2011)
Wilderness Lodge (2011)
Old 06-19-2009, 08:48 AM   #75
stacikristine
DIS Veteran

Congrats on getting such great ADRs!!!! That's awesome! I must say, it's reassuring to know that your sister did the old-fashioned calling and got such great results! I'm not so nervous about mine now! Oh--and your pins are so great! You have a ton!

Upcoming: Dec 2012 Animal Kingdom VillasSept 2009 Animal Kingdom Villas (PTR) (TR: 1st Trip as Mr. & Mrs.) Oct 2006 POP Century June 2003 Fort Wilderness Campground July 1989 Off-site

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: