Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2009, 12:23 PM   #31
crocko
DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shordiebecka View Post
hey! i just found your trip report. I just have to compliment you on all the academics that you do with your children at a young age! I have a bachelors degree in early childhood education and have worked with all ages of children for over 5 years and it's very rare to find someone who is so invested in their child's education at such a young age. Can't wait to hear more about your trip!
Thanks! Joshua seems to enjoy learning for the most part...especially Math and anything project-related.
Samantha....she's such a "pretty girl." She'll give learning a try but gets bored quickly. I think we just have to get used to hear learning style. A) she's still young...just turned 3 and B) she's a good listener. When we read books outloud, she'll be "messing around" but she does a good job of answering the "are-you-paying-attention questions." That's weird to me, because I'm a visual learner, but she may end up being an auditory learner.
Saratoga Springs (2008, 2011)
Animal Kingdom Lodge (2009)
Old Key West (2009)
Beach Club (2010, 2011)
Wilderness Lodge (2011)
Old 06-11-2009, 10:38 AM   #32
crocko
DVC Member

Another Thursday is upon us, which means we are 1 week closer to the trip and a new letter gets started.

Today, the kids will be starting a week's worth of "M"

The Letter M
Ride - Mad Hatter's Tea Party (Samantha will probably want to spin slowly)
Non-ride - Monorail (hopefully we'll get a couple chances to ride the Monorail)
Characters: Mittens, Manny, Mater, Mac, Marlin, Mike Wazowski (on the Disney day-by-day calendar today), MO (Wall-E), Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Meghara, Mowgli, Mufasa, Mulan, Mushu, Maid Marian, Merlin, Mad Hatter, Maleficient, Mary Poppins, Marie, Milo Thatch

Later today....plan on revealing our gameplan.
Old Key West (2009)
Beach Club (2010, 2011)
Wilderness Lodge (2011)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-11-2009, 04:50 PM   #33
crocko
DVC Member

Well, today ended up being busier than I was hoping, but I've been promising an itinerary and I'm GOING TO DELIVER!!

Alright, here we go --

Sep 17, Thu) Leave OKC at 6:30am...stop in Houston...then finish in Orlando. (Originally, we were to arrive at about 12:30pm, but flight changed and now it is almost 2:00pm) less Disney time. This will be the kids' first time in a plane. Hopefully we get smooth flights and not too much time taxi'ing around. Rest of the day = check-in at AKV, dinner at 'Ohana, check out the resort.

Sep 18, Fri) 8am at Crystal Palace and MK day. We wanted to make sure the first park for the kids is Magic Kingdom. And Crystal Palace before the park opens sounds like a great way to start that day. Try to stick around for 3 o'clock parade, then head out. Probably also try to hit Downtown Disney during the evening.

Sep 19, Sat) 8am rope drop at Hollywood Studios! Probably go until kids get tired, take a break and then finish the day at MK for Spectro/Wishes.

Sep 20, Sun) Epcot day. This will probably be the only day we aren't at a park at/before opening time. We will get some good rest, but still get around in good enough time to make what will hopefully be a 10am slot for Akershus breakfast. Afterward, the rest of the day will be spent focusing on the World Showcase.

Sep 21, Mon) 8am rope drop at Animal Kingdom! We will have a late breakfast at Tusker House. Will try to do all we can at AK this day and stay toward closing. Then, Bridgette, my dad, and my sister will have dinner at Boma, while my mom, the kids, and I find a fun CS place to eat. Probably spend rest of the night playing at the resort.

TRIP = HALFWAY OVER ALRIGHT TEAM, FINISH STRONG!!

Sep 22, Tue) 8am rope drop at Epcot! Focus of the day will be Future World. Try to get through all we can and then take a break. Come back during the evening to do a few more things and get ready for Illuminations.

Sep 23, Wed) 9am rope drop at HS. Do whatever we really liked or didn't get to...try to stick around for the 3 o'clock parade. Evening = ?

Sep 24, Thu) 8am rope drop at Magic Kingdom! That's all I got....just have a great day!!

Sep 25, Fri) [last full day] This will be the separate day. My wife and the kids doing are own thing. My sister and parents doing their own thing. We will start the morning with an 8am Play 'n' Dine breakfast. Then, the rest of the day is letting the kids tell us what they really want to do. As for my family...they will start the day at Kona Cafe and probably get over to Epcot at some point to take in a little bit of the first day of Food & Wine Festival.

Sep 26, Sat) [leaving day] Plane leaves at 6pm...so, probably plan on being ready for the bus by 3pm. That gives us a lot of time to play! Probably another morning/afternoon of park-hopping/shopping before the Magical ride back to MCO.

Gonna be a great trip! 14 weeks to go!!
Old Key West (2009)
Beach Club (2010, 2011)
Wilderness Lodge (2011)
Old 06-11-2009, 07:28 PM   #34
chicagoshannon
DIS Veteran

That looks like a great plan! When can you make your ADR's?
Old 06-12-2009, 09:10 AM   #35
crocko
DVC Member

Friday, June 19th.....so one more week to go.

Since we're going DVC, we're not doing the Free Dining deal. We looked at just simply buying the CS-dining plan, but b/c of our eating style and the fact that we've got 6 TS meals we want to do, mathematically it just didn't make sense to me -- maybe on another trip.

One's I'm most worried about are 'Ohana that first night and Crystal Palace the morning of the 18th. Not only are both popular, but they are also right at the beginning of the trip, so earlier trip-goers can be booking those slots due to the 90+10 rule.
Old Key West (2009)
Beach Club (2010, 2011)
Wilderness Lodge (2011)
Old 06-12-2009, 10:14 AM   #36
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Your kids are adorable!! And wow, you guys went all out for her birthday party. That is some cake!! I love that you're doing a letter of the week countdown to Disney. What a great idea!

How excited are you about staying at AKV? We're staying for two nights at the end of our trip and I absolutely cannot wait! It looks gorgeous and I've never stayed deluxe before!

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu/DCL ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
Old 06-12-2009, 10:18 AM   #37
crocko
DVC Member

VERY Excited about staying at AKV (that's right...banana dance-excited)

Last summer, when plans were very preliminary, I wasn't sure where my parents and sis would be staying, but my family of 4 was planning on staying at All-Star Movies (where my wife and I stayed in 2002).
Then, my sister joins DVC and says she will be able to get us a 2-bedroom suite at Animal Kingdom which is getting new villas. Awesome!!!!

So, with the savings from not having to pay at Movies....we bought my sister's airline ticket and are figuring out something else cool to do for her.

But yes...very excited about staying there. I've visited AKL before and it is beautiful, plus pictures of the new rooms look great!
Old Key West (2009)
Beach Club (2010, 2011)
Wilderness Lodge (2011)
Old 06-12-2009, 10:30 AM   #38
jenny105
DIS Veteran

That's so funny because originally we were going to spend our last two nights at ASMo! I upgraded as a surprise for my DBf.

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu/DCL ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
Old 06-12-2009, 03:00 PM   #39
crocko
DVC Member

Samantha update!

The kids decided they wanted haircuts, so Bridgette took them both today. For Samantha, who just turned 3, this is actually her first ever haircut. Her Aunt comes over occassionally to clip her bangs, but she's never had a full haircut before.

Here's the pic she sent after they got home (earlier this afternoon):

[proud daddy moment] oh, she's so cute!

I miss them. Won't see them at all today.
Why?
Well, our anniversary was Tuesday, but due to Vacation Bible School this week we didn't get to celebrate that night. So, in a couple hours, Bridgette is shipping the kids off to my parents for the night. Then later, we'll have a nice dinner and go see a late-night showing of Star Trek.
Old Key West (2009)
Beach Club (2010, 2011)
Wilderness Lodge (2011)
Old 06-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #40
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Aw, cute!

Happy Anniversary! Have a great night. Star Trek was amazing.

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Old 06-12-2009, 03:36 PM   #41
cheap traveler
DIS Veteran

Location: A tiny town not even on the map, between Albany and NYC

Love the new haircut! My older DD was almost 3 1/2 before she got her first real haircut. My DD3 just recently got hers cut, and it seems that all hairdressers cut little girls bangs too short. Luckily my DDs hair grows really fast, and now a few weeks later she needs it cut again.

The itinerary looks great. I haven't done park-hoppers in a few years, mostly because I end up pusing us way too hard when I can go everywhere.

Have a great week waiting for ADR-day

Me31 DD10 DD7
Old 06-12-2009, 03:37 PM   #42
cheap traveler
DIS Veteran

Location: A tiny town not even on the map, between Albany and NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny105 View Post
Aw, cute!

Happy Anniversary! Have a great night. Star Trek was amazing.
Hey I love your ticker!! I didn't know it was so close. That just made my day

Me31 DD10 DD7
Old 06-12-2009, 04:07 PM   #43
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap traveler View Post
Hey I love your ticker!! I didn't know it was so close. That just made my day
Thanks! I think it's even closer because I made it when it was slated to open July 17. I believe it's now opening July 15.

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Old 06-13-2009, 03:19 PM   #44
disneylovinfamily
DIS Veteran

followed you over from my ptr you kids are so cute! Roseanna had an Alice party last year too and wore the same dress. Love all the homeschool activities you are doing, so fun!
Old 06-15-2009, 10:50 AM   #45
crocko
DVC Member

Okay, I have an addition to our projects to add.

Along with the "school" projects for each letter, the kids have also been getting to watch a movie each week as well when they finish their projects.

A thru L, here's what they've watched so far:

A - Aladdin
B - Bolt (timing of its release worked out perfectly)

C - Cinderella
D - Dumbo
E - Enchanted (to my surprise, Samantha LOVES Giselle...particularly, animated Giselle)
F - Fox and the Hound
G - Extremely Goofy Movie (they'd already seen the first one)
H - Hunchback of Notre Dame
I - Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
J - Jungle Book 2 (whenever we watched Jungle Book, kids were fairly bored...but Joshua LOVES this one....has asked to rewatch it several times)
K - Emperor's New Groove (Kuzco and Kronk's first movie!)

L - Lilo & Stitch

Up to this point, Samantha has mainly just been doing coloring and trying to learn her letters, but last night she decided she wanted to do Math Problems.
So, while Bridgette did math problems with Joshua, Samantha and I worked on the Disney/Pixar Cars counting workbook. She's so funny...educationally, she's a very smart girl with no memory.
But....she's getting there.

Actually, the thing I'm learning with her is how to handle mistakes. Man, she gets VERY emotional when she does something wrong. I was working on our pre-K Bible studies this weekend and we made an extra copy so Samantha could follow along. I told her to color a picture and then looked over to Joshua...when I looked back, she had colored not only the picture but half of the page...so, without thinking I said, "Samantha, no. Not all over." Well, out came the bottom lip and she climbed up on to the couch to pout....5 minutes later she had calmed down and came back. Then, when we were done she asked if I was mad at her (ugh....what a heartbreaker)

SO.........when working with her counting last night, whenever she counted too far or made "a very interesting version of a circle" I made sure that any correction came with a big smile. She can handle it as long as it looks like we're all having fun still.

Thanks for listening to my story.
Only 4 days until ADR's can be made!!!!
Old Key West (2009)
Beach Club (2010, 2011)
Wilderness Lodge (2011)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: