Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2009, 04:15 PM   #16
crocko
DVC Member

Okay, I've told you about our "26 Weeks of Disney" project. So, let me catch you up on what all we've discussed during this project so far:

Letter A
Ride - Astro Orbiter (we love rockets)
Non-Ride - Animal Kingdom Lodge (yay, we're staying here)
Characters: Alice, Aladdin, Ariel, Arthur, Archimedes, Abu, Aurora, Andy, and Annie (Little Einsteins)

Letter B
Ride - Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin (we love Buzz)
Non-Ride - Backlot Express (I love burgers and I love this place. Bridgette went over the menu with Joshua and he picked out what he is going to eat and then drew a picture of his meal, lol)
Characters: Bambi, Beast, Belle, Brer Bear, Brer Fox, Brer Rabbit, Baloo, Bagheera, Buzz, Bernard, Bianca, Bashful, Boo, Bolt, Bullseye, Buster, Basil (Great Mouse Detective)

Letter C
Ride - Cinderella's Carousel
Non-Ride - Cinderella's Castle (we went and saw UP on Monday and at the beginning of every Disney movie, of course, is the castle...Samantha says, "Disney World!")
Characters: Candace, Carl (Phineas & Ferb), Chip (Chip & Dale), Chip (Beauty and the Beast), Crush, Clarabelle, Cogsworth, Cinderella, Chicken Little, Cheshire Cat, Cruella de Vil, Chad (High School Musical -- because Samantha LOVES the HSM movies)

Letter D
Ride - Dumbo the Flying Elephant (Samantha is excited about this)
Non-ride - Dinoland USA (if not too hot, I could see us definitely spending some good time here)
Characters: Dusty (Handy Manny), Dewey, Donald Duck, Daisy Duck, Dale, Dory, Doc Hudson, Doofenschmirtz, Darby, Dumbo, Doc (Snow White), Dodger, Dopey, Dalmatians, Duchess, Dot, Dash, Dug

Okay.....gonna have to cliffhang you at the letter D.

(For the record, we are currently on week "L" -- which means less than 15 weeks to go!!)

Tomorrow is Samantha's 3-year old birthday party. Hope to have some pics to post come Monday.
Saratoga Springs (2008, 2011)
Animal Kingdom Lodge (2009)
Old Key West (2009)
Beach Club (2010, 2011)
Wilderness Lodge (2011)

Last edited by crocko; 06-08-2009 at 10:32 AM. Reason: oops....we're actually on week "L"
Old 06-08-2009, 08:29 AM   #17
cheap traveler
DIS Veteran

Location: A tiny town not even on the map, between Albany and NYC

Great job with the letters!! There are a lot of characters I would never think of. Do you conjure these out of your memory or is google helping?

One note on Dinoland, it is great even if it is hot. The playground area has water and fans to keep you cool. And the CMs are great! Last year my DD2 at the time went down a slide and I didn't know where she came out. I was up on top looking down trying to find her, and I saw her walk out the gate! A CM was standing right there and walked her back in. Scary but the CMs in that area are wonderful

Needless to say I won't be letting her out of my sight this year

Me31 DD10 DD7
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-08-2009, 09:44 AM   #18
crocko
DVC Member

Thanks for the advice. Since the kids won't be able to ride Primeval Whirl (and I definitely plan on riding it) I'm hoping they can spend some time having fun in the rest of DinoLand.

As for characters for each letter, quite a bit of research has gone into it.
First, I found ScrapSayings. It has been helpful, but is only so-so up-to-date.
Then, I found this person's flickr photos in which "they" post pics (by alphabet) of any character they've been photo'ed with. Very cool to see the variety of characters that have been at the parks the past decade.
Later, I found this HooZoo List. It has a lot of characters, but most are from the comic books...so have only used a few from that list since my kids aren't into the comics yet.
Recently I found this site and am thankful. Not completely up-to-date for new movies, but has a great list of characters by alphabet.

I've used these lists and then for newer movies and shows, I've just mentally gone through the main characters that I know my kids would be interested in. From UP, I'm specifically making sure to add Carl, Dug, Kevin, and Russell.
Old Key West (2009)
Beach Club (2010, 2011)
Wilderness Lodge (2011)
Old 06-08-2009, 11:23 AM   #19
chicagoshannon
DIS Veteran

I totally forgot to subscribe the other day. I was wondering why I didn't have any updates. LOL I'm subsribed now! I'm getting some wonderful teaching ideas from you for my 2year old.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:38 PM   #20
crocko
DVC Member

Okay, I mentioned at the end of the day Friday that Saturday would be Samantha's 3-year old birthday party. So, my next update is going to be about her party.

Theme: Alice in Wonderland

Below are a few pics of the cake and cookie decorations.

We also did our best to appropriately decorate the area with other Wonderland items (teapots, red roses...including some white ones being painted red, cards, flamingos, and the lamps that hang above the Mad Hatter's table)

For the computer wallpaper, I found this "famous" pic that I thought was appropriate:

Now for the birthday girl!
Before getting dressed, I caught a silly pic of her wearing the Mad Hatter's hat (well, our closest rendition of the hat)

and for party time, Alice!

During the party, Samantha and her friends had time to color some Alice in Wonderland coloring pages, decorate their own cookies, and of course...there was the blowing out of the candles

The boys -- as the party was winding down, Joshua got into his own "fun gear". Meanwhile, yours truly (the Mad Hatter) is relaxing and watching the good times.

Last pic...the kids got a few minutes to go play outside on our playground. Here is a cute pic of Samantha and her friend (also dressed up as Alice)

It was a good party. Our friend made the cake and we were very excited at how good a job she did....plus, it tasted really good. Many presents were opened, including probably her favorite...the karaoke High School Musical microphone. It includes 10 of the top HSM songs that she can sing along with into her microphone. In reality, she dances along to them more than she sings...that's okay -- Mom and Dad don't mind doing the singing.

Fun weekend....of course, just keeps me wishing the Countdown to Disney would move more quickly.
Old Key West (2009)
Beach Club (2010, 2011)
Wilderness Lodge (2011)
Old 06-08-2009, 03:47 PM   #21
crocko
DVC Member

Going to try and get caught up on some more of the letters we have already covered. I left off with the letter "D" last.

Letter E
Ride - Spaceship Earth (hey...Earth starts with E)
Non-ride - Epcot (later in the PTR, I'll let you know our gameplan for how to tackle this big park)
Characters: Eve, Eeyore, Eric, Esmeralda, Ed (Lion King), Edgar (Aristocats), Eilonwy, Emile, Edna

Letter F
Ride - Gran Fiesta Tour (Fiesta! Some people don't like the new changes to this Mexico ride, but I like it. I love Donald and have no problem with putting some new life into a ride that had gotten somewhat boring)
Non-ride - FASTPASS (problem now, is making my son understand that not on every ride can we take the shortcut line)
Characters: Ferb, Fillmore, Flo, Flounder, Friar Tuck, Flower, Figment, Flicker, Felipe, Frollo, Figaro, Flik, Ferdinand

Letter G
Ride - Goofy's Barnstormer (hoping kids will like this "rollercoaster")
Non-ride - Gates (showed pics of all the entrances to the parks. We'll be doing rope drops, so we'll have to get used to seeing these gates)
Characters: Gabriella, Guido, Goofy, Gaston, Gus Gus, Gepetto, Grumpy, Gopher, Gyro Gearloose, Genie, Goliath (JoJo), Giselle (Enchanted)

Letter H
Ride - Honey, I Shrunk the Kids Set (not exactly a ride, but a play attraction atleast...should be interesting since my kids are anti-bugs)
Non-ride - Hollywood Studios (depending on popularity of DHS shows, we could stay really busy trying to get everything done at this fun park)
Characters: Huey, Capt. Hook, Hercules, Hades, Happy, Hamm, Hopper, Heimlich, Horace Horsecollar

Well, there's 4 more letters. I will try to get I through J done tomorrow...which will at least get me caught up to where we're currently at.

Old Key West (2009)
Beach Club (2010, 2011)
Wilderness Lodge (2011)
Old 06-09-2009, 08:40 AM   #22
mom2mek
Obsessed with Disney

Oh my goodness! What a fabulous pre-trip! Your ideas are great! My sister homeschools, as does one of my best friends - kudos to you for doing that! I think it's fabulous!!

That birthday looks amazing - how creative you guys are! The cake looks so cute and I love all of the "eat me" cookies and "drink me" drinks!

You have a beautiful family and I'm sure you are going to have a wonderful trip! I'm so glad I popped over and started reading!

Sara
Old 06-09-2009, 09:09 AM   #23
crocko
DVC Member

Trip planning udpate:

Yesterday (thanks to an ebay seller tip from "cheap traveler") I ordered 20 Disney pins for us to trade when we go on our trip. I'll try to update with a picture once the pins arrive.

Last night's discussions. Bridgette and I discussed T-shirt designs. Thanks to our own creativity and wonderful designs by DISigners...we're working on what kind of T-shirts we might want to make for our trip. Also trying to decide on the best method of making them.

Should we try to do it ourselves? Use an Internet custom T-shirt website? Still trying to figure it out.
Old Key West (2009)
Beach Club (2010, 2011)
Wilderness Lodge (2011)
Old 06-09-2009, 09:10 AM   #24
crocko
DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2mek View Post
Oh my goodness! What a fabulous pre-trip! Your ideas are great! My sister homeschools, as does one of my best friends - kudos to you for doing that! I think it's fabulous!!

That birthday looks amazing - how creative you guys are! The cake looks so cute and I love all of the "eat me" cookies and "drink me" drinks!

You have a beautiful family and I'm sure you are going to have a wonderful trip! I'm so glad I popped over and started reading!

Sara
Thanks, Sara.

Glad to have you on board.....I know that your current pics from your report are keeping my Disney-itis alive and flaring.
Old Key West (2009)
Beach Club (2010, 2011)
Wilderness Lodge (2011)
Old 06-09-2009, 11:46 AM   #25
cheap traveler
DIS Veteran

Hey thanks for the mention!! I have been trying to get a picture of my pins, but I have to do it when the kids are asleep. So Sunday I can't find the camera, Monday the battery is dead, wonder what tonight will bring.

I absolutely love the birthday cake, and you daughter looks so cute in her Alice dress. My DD would love a Cinderella party, but she is with her father on her birthday and a big party isn't in the budget this year. There is always next year.

I will love to see if we both got the same pins. Mine are mostly pirate theme. There is only one we might keep - it's dumbo and just too cute.

Can't wait to hear more of your letters

Me31 DD10 DD7
Old 06-09-2009, 04:02 PM   #26
crocko
DVC Member

Okay, time to get caught up on our weekly letter projects.

Letter I
Ride - it's a small world (figuring that Samantha will like this one)
Non-ride - Innoventions (though we skipped this on our quick December trip, I've always enjoyed Innoventions and think Joshua will have a lot of fun in here)
Characters: Mr. Incredible, Mrs. Incredible, Iago, Ichabod, Isabella (Phineas & Ferb)

Letter J
Ride - Jungle Cruise (Samantha loves elephants! [Note: our Oklahoma City elephants are currently in Tulsa so they can have babies...we miss them)
Non-ride - Jedi Training Academy (Joshua will love this. From what I've read, I'm going to prepare him in case he doesn't get picked...if not...try, try again!)
Characters: Jeremy (Phineas & Ferb), Jessie, Jacques, Jiminy Cricket, Jane (Tarzan), JoJo, Prince John, Jafar, Jasmine, Jose Carioca, June (Einsteins)

Letter K
Ride - Kilimanjaro Safari (I think kids will really love seeing animals while riding)
Non-ride - Kidcot (Both kids, especially Joshua, love crafts...so think Kidcot will help them enjoy our time spent in the World Showcase)
Characters: Kelsi (HSM), Kelly (Handy Manny), The King, Kanga, Kaa, Kuzco, Kronk, Kit Cloudkicker, Kim Possible, Kermit the Frog, Koda, Kevin (UP)

Letter L
Ride - Living with the Land (I love this ride! Also think kids will have fun seeing the different things that Disney has growing)
Non-ride - LEGO Imagination Center (Joshua loves LEGOs and will no doubt have a good time playing and planning purchases in this area)
Characters: Lopart (Handy Manny), Lightning McQueen, Luigi (Cars), Ludgwin Von Drake, Louie (nephew), Lilo, Lumierre, Lady, Little John, Leo (Einsteins), Linguini, Launchpad McQuack, Lewis (Meet the Robinsons)

Well, that gets us caught up. The kids are currently working on the letter L until we start M on Thursday. From this point on, each week, I'll update with info about whatever letter we are starting (and yes, some letters down the homestretch get tricky).

Still to come....initial gameplan for our 10 days in Disney......
Old Key West (2009)
Beach Club (2010, 2011)
Wilderness Lodge (2011)

Last edited by crocko; 06-09-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:08 PM   #27
crocko
DVC Member

Oh and today is an important day

1) My wife and I are celebrating our 8th Wedding Anniversary today!!!

2) We have now reached the 100 Days until Disney mark!!
Old Key West (2009)
Beach Club (2010, 2011)
Wilderness Lodge (2011)
Old 06-10-2009, 10:45 AM   #28
cheap traveler
DIS Veteran

Sorry I missed it yesterday, Happy Anniversary:yay

Isn't it great to be out of 3 digit numbers?! I am down to 70 and loving it.

Can't wait to hear your plans

Me31 DD10 DD7
Old 06-10-2009, 11:12 AM   #29
shordiebecka
DIS Veteran

hey! i just found your trip report. I just have to compliment you on all the academics that you do with your children at a young age! I have a bachelors degree in early childhood education and have worked with all ages of children for over 5 years and it's very rare to find someone who is so invested in their child's education at such a young age. Can't wait to hear more about your trip!
1990-Carribean Beach**1992- Port Orleans** 1996-All Star Music** 2000-Off Site** 2001- Port Orleans/DCL** 2003 AKL/DCL** 2005- Boardwalk Inn** 2006- All Star Music**2008 All Star Sports**2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge** 2009 CSR Holiday Trip** 2009 Beach Club Holiday Trip**2010 POR Fall Trip (Engaged!)**2012 Wilderness lodge (expecting a baby!)**2014 Boardwalk Villas (With a 9 month old!)

UP NEXT: November 2014- Art of Animation!!!
Old 06-10-2009, 11:18 AM   #30
crocko
DVC Member

This morning has been productive as far as getting some important "details" lined up for the trip.

First, my sister booked our Magical Express today. The tags will be coming to her address about 6 weeks before our trip. Luckily, that 6 weeks will be plenty of time to get our tags from her (in Plano, TX) to the rest of us (in Moore, OK).
-- EXCITED ABOUT GETTING ON THAT BUS!! --

Also, we finally got around to getting park tickets for the kids. Since Bridgette and I went on the short December trip last year, we went ahead and got annual passes for that trip so that we wouldn't have to purchase tickets two separate times (good savings!). So, we have our passes for the September trip, but the kids don't have tickets yet. So, Bridgette got online this morning and ordered two 10-day park-hopper tickets.
-- YAY, THE KIDS WILL ACTUALLY BE ALLOWED INTO THE PARKS NOW!! --

Also confirmed that the strollers we will be bringing can go on the plane with us for no extra charge. Good.
Old Key West (2009)
Beach Club (2010, 2011)
Wilderness Lodge (2011)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: