Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2009, 07:36 PM   #151
longing2Batdisney
DIS Veteran

Great idea on the camera!! :thubsup2
I'm the one who is always taking the pics; Danny never even attempts to pick up the camera--so I'm hardly ever in the pics (which most of the time is OK--but sometimes it would be nice to have a few candid shots).
Old 07-13-2009, 01:41 PM   #152
crocko
DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longing2Batdisney View Post
Great idea on the camera!! :thubsup2
I'm the one who is always taking the pics; Danny never even attempts to pick up the camera--so I'm hardly ever in the pics (which most of the time is OK--but sometimes it would be nice to have a few candid shots).
yeah -- going to try and get some candid shots....hoping to get some great reactions from the kids.
Saratoga Springs (2008, 2011)
Animal Kingdom Lodge (2009)
Old Key West (2009)
Beach Club (2010, 2011)
Wilderness Lodge (2011)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-13-2009, 01:45 PM   #153
crocko
DVC Member

This weekend we had a garage sale.

Ugh!! It was around 105 degrees for the high this weekend. Luckily, we were at my parents house and they have good shade thanks to big trees. Nevertheless, this was our worst garage sale ever. Hardly anyone came by. Last time that we do a mid-summer sale like this. We still have quite a bit left, so we boxed it up and will give it another go in October we're thinking.

Luckily, we made enough for Bridgette to finish "paying off" her trip she took with her sister to Forks back in April.
The kids did a good job selling their toys.....made a combined $44, so $22 a piece which they have said they want to save for their Disney trip.
Old Key West (2009)
Beach Club (2010, 2011)
Wilderness Lodge (2011)
Old 07-13-2009, 02:23 PM   #154
stacikristine
DIS Veteran

Yay for the camera! Sorry about the garage sale. Yeah, I'm kinda with everyone that didn't show up--I don't think I could brave the weather for some garage sales. Did you all get the rain these past few weeks?

Upcoming: Dec 2012 Animal Kingdom VillasSept 2009 Animal Kingdom Villas (PTR) (TR: 1st Trip as Mr. & Mrs.) Oct 2006 POP Century June 2003 Fort Wilderness Campground July 1989 Off-site

Old 07-15-2009, 02:16 PM   #155
crocko
DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacikristine View Post
Yay for the camera! Sorry about the garage sale. Yeah, I'm kinda with everyone that didn't show up--I don't think I could brave the weather for some garage sales. Did you all get the rain these past few weeks?
We haven't had much rain in the last.....well, the last while.

Last night we went clothes shopping (some of it specifically for Disney trip).

I added 2 pairs of shorts to my collection.
Joshua and Samantha each added a pair of comfy shoes.
Bridgette has added a plethora of cute, clearance clothes.
-- shopped at Kohl's....had a 30% off entire purchase sticker --
Old Key West (2009)
Beach Club (2010, 2011)
Wilderness Lodge (2011)
Old 07-15-2009, 02:30 PM   #156
crocko
DVC Member

Time to get back to PTR discussion.

Going to start working on my "gameplan" for each day of the trip. The fact that we have booked a bounceback trip for just me and Bridgette is really going to help us put energy into making sure we do all the things the kids will really enjoy on this September trip.

So....

Day 1 (Arrival Day)

My parents and sister will be getting into MCO at about 1pm, I believe. Our plane is currently scheduled to arrive at 1:55pm. So, they will just wait around for us to get there and we will all get on the Magical Express together.

We will then enjoy the fun Disney video as we take our 30-minute trip to Kidani Village.

Hopefully, we'll make it to the resort by about 3:30. Get checked in, check out the rooms and do a little sight-seeing around.

For arrival night, we have a 7:10 ADR at 'Ohana. So, my thinking is that by 5:00-5:30ish we'll get on a bus to Magic Kingdom. The kids will be able to get a sneak preview glimpse of the park and the castle.
Depending on how much time we have. The plan is to take the monorail to check out the Grand Floridian and Contemporary before dinner. Then, probably around 6:45pm, we'll finish whatever we're doing and head over to the Polynesian.

Have a great dinner, check out the Poly a little bit....take the monorail back to Magic Kingdom and then catch a bus back to AKL. In hopes of getting some good rest to start the trip, we'll try to get to bed in good time this first night.

Potential punctures in the plan:
-- The plane. On our last trip, the connecting flight in Houston was delayed almost 2 hours. If something like that happens again, we'll be pressed to pretty much check-in and quickly get over to dinner.

Most moveable mission:
-- Checking out the MK hotels. If need be, checking out the GF and Contemporary can most easily be scratched....as we'll be on the monorail at other times on the trip and could add this to the itinerary later.

Adventuresome ad hoc add-on:
-- Magic Kingdom entrance. Theoretically, the idea is to not enter a park until the following morning. BUT....my sister, my mom, Bridgette, and I have annual passes. The kids and my dad have 10-day park hopper passes. We're only staying 9 nights, which means we could go to a park every full day of the trip, plus the arrival and departure dates. Will we be tempted to take a sneaky trip into MK while we're so close? I don't know!!
Old Key West (2009)
Beach Club (2010, 2011)
Wilderness Lodge (2011)
Old 07-16-2009, 09:22 AM   #157
stacikristine
DIS Veteran

Sounds great so far! I'm anxious to hear how you like 'Ohana! We weren't able to get in at a decent tmie there, so we're trying Kona instead. I think your kids would LOVE to go to MK for a little bit on the first day!!

Upcoming: Dec 2012 Animal Kingdom VillasSept 2009 Animal Kingdom Villas (PTR) (TR: 1st Trip as Mr. & Mrs.) Oct 2006 POP Century June 2003 Fort Wilderness Campground July 1989 Off-site

Old 07-17-2009, 09:00 AM   #158
crocko
DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacikristine View Post
Sounds great so far! I'm anxious to hear how you like 'Ohana! We weren't able to get in at a decent tmie there, so we're trying Kona instead. I think your kids would LOVE to go to MK for a little bit on the first day!!
Well, I've been to 'Ohana before and we absolutely loved it. Now, the menu has probably changed since then, but still expecting it to be good.

From what I've heard of Kona, though, it sounds very good to.

And yes....MK on that first night is VERY tempting.
Old Key West (2009)
Beach Club (2010, 2011)
Wilderness Lodge (2011)
Old 07-17-2009, 09:08 AM   #159
crocko
DVC Member

Yesterday was Thursday, which means one week closer....

9 WEEKS TO GO!!!

AND...it means another letter to start.

The Letter R

Ride: Walt Disney World Railroad (the kids are excited about riding the train over to Toontown)
Non-ride: Rafiki's Planet Watch (This is a pretty fun area and both Bridgette and I think the kids can have some fun back here)
Characters: Rhino, Ryan (HSM), Rusty, Russell, Ramone, Randall, Remy, Roo, Rabbit, Robin Hood, Rex, Rocket (Einsteins)

PLUS, TODAY IS JULY 17TH....WHICH MEANS

2 MONTHS UNTIL DISNEY WORLD!!
:ba nana:
Old Key West (2009)
Beach Club (2010, 2011)
Wilderness Lodge (2011)
Old 07-17-2009, 01:17 PM   #160
crocko
DVC Member

Last night we watched Snow White as our finish-off for the letter Q

(Would have watched Hunchback of Notre Dame [for Quasimodo] but they've watched it recently and I could tell Joshua didn't really enjoy it much).
So, Snow White since it has the evil Queen in it.

In general, the kids don't always do as well with the older movies, so wasn't sure what to think about this one for them. Samantha fell asleep before it started and missed the whole thing. So, as a "princess" movie, was expecting Joshua to get bored. He stayed attentive throughout, though, and laughed ALOT at the dwarves. His favorites were Dopey and Sneezy. It was so exciting to see him enjoying those characters, despite their 72 years of existence.

Joshua usually gets "closed-down" and sad about "death-scenes" (did not handle Charlotte's Web very well....poor guy) so wasn't sure what he'd think at the end of Snow White, when it looks like she was dead.
The scene where the dwarfs have put her in a glass coffin and are mourning her, I look over at Joshua....he looks over at me and says "Is it over? Now what can we do?"
Haha.....so much for Snow White! Apparently no emotional attachment, there. LOL
Old Key West (2009)
Beach Club (2010, 2011)
Wilderness Lodge (2011)
Old 07-17-2009, 04:23 PM   #161
longing2Batdisney
DIS Veteran

I understand what you mean about the older movies...
they are hit or miss with Ashton, also... he liked Pinocchio ??, did not like Snow White (the little girl I watch was afraid of the evil Queen), liked Alice in Wonderland, and believe it or not he does not care for 101 Dalmations (but loves just about every dog movie he has ever seen, cartoon or real characters). we had tried all the older movies for nap time before he left for WDW this past May.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:46 PM   #162
crocko
DVC Member

Quote:
I understand what you mean about the older movies...
they are hit or miss with Ashton, also... he liked Pinocchio ??, did not like Snow White (the little girl I watch was afraid of the evil Queen), liked Alice in Wonderland, and believe it or not he does not care for 101 Dalmations (but loves just about every dog movie he has ever seen, cartoon or real characters). we had tried all the older movies for nap time before he left for WDW this past May.
very funny what kids will like/not like.

I know with Joshua, anything live-action will bore him pretty quickly (which is why we put in POTC last night at bedtime, during a Slumber Party night). He watched for a little, but zonked out pretty quickly.
Old Key West (2009)
Beach Club (2010, 2011)
Wilderness Lodge (2011)
Old 07-20-2009, 12:58 PM   #163
longing2Batdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocko View Post
very funny what kids will like/not like.

I know with Joshua, anything live-action will bore him pretty quickly (which is why we put in POTC last night at bedtime, during a Slumber Party night). He watched for a little, but zonked out pretty quickly.
how funny...Ashton is into live action flicks at the moment
his three favorite: Babe
Nim's Island ??
Journey to the Center of the Earth ???
I can see Babe, but the other two--???
he does like POTC --when I let him watch; he also seems to like Harry Potter go figure
Old 07-20-2009, 01:15 PM   #164
crocko
DVC Member

Day 2 Gameplan

Day 2 (Magic Kingdom!!)

Hopefully, we will all get some good sleep that first night at Kidani Village. My wife, kids, and I will be in one room in a king bed. We tried this on our St. Louis trip and it worked out well. (If they're just going to wind up in our bed eventually, might as well have a king-size) On this first, full day we will start out with an 8:20 ADR at the Crystal Palace for a yummy and fun character breakfast to see Pooh, Tigger, Piglet, and Eeyore.

I'm very excited about this. I've never had a reservation for a restaurant before park opening time. Ready for the opportunity to walk down Main Street with hardly anyone around as we take in the splendor of Cinderella's Castle. Not sure when they'll let us enter for an 8:20 ressie, but hopefully a few minutes early

This will be our first of 4 character breakfasts on the trip, so hoping that the kids really enjoy it (even if they don't eat much food.....I know I will!). Afterward, it will be time to head into the rest of the park. Park should be opened to all by the time we get out and our goal is to hit Peter Pan's Flight. Bridgette and I love this ride and want it to be Joshua and Samantha's first Disney ride.

Next...my thinking is that I'll rush over to Pooh's ride and grab FP's and we'll all get in line at Dumbo (unless it is already super-crazy at that point). If it is not too long, then with Pooh FP's in hand, we'll be in good shape to get 3 very popular Fantasyland rides knocked out with relative ease. Staying in Fantasyland, we'll then hit IASW and Philharmagic (hope the kids keep their glasses on and enjoy this -- I love this show!). That will still leave the Tea Cups, the Carousel and Snow White's ride. Hopefully by this time, we'll have a feel on whether the kids can handle Snow White or not.
Depending on how the day goes, we may hit Pooh's Playful Spot at some point, too (and depending on temperatures).

With Fantasyland in the bag, I expect will head eastward. North or south, though? Just depends. If Toontown isn't crazy, I'm sure the kids would love to ride the Barnstormer and see some friends (whether they be fairies, princesses, or mice). If too crazy, then we can head south to Tomorrowland.
Now, after Pooh's FP's, I'll probably try and pick a good time to hustle down to Buzz's ride and grab some FP's there, too.....so, hopefully we'd be able to ride it atleast once pretty easily. Other big goals in Tomorrowland include Laugh Floor and Astro Orbiter.

At this point, no idea how long these goals would take to accomplish and until we get there, no idea what kind of stops/rests we'll need to take for the kids. Besides simply having a ton of fun, my other main goal this day is to go ahead and stick around MK long enough to catch the 3 o'clock parade. Come 2:30-2:45, we'll probably stop whatever we're doing and go find our favorite parade spot (maybe I could sneak over to Jungle Cruise to grab some FP's)

Regardless, I want to make sure we hit this parade....that way on our first full day, we'll get a feel for how the kids like parades. When the parade is over, we'll be basically done with MK for the day. I'm sure the kids will be tired, plus this day (Sep. 18th) is a MNSSHP night and I'd like to get headed out before the Party rush builds up too much.

The rest of the day? Probably head from MK back to the resort and then at some point during the evening, head on over to Downtown Disney. We love DTD and definitely want to get our first of several stops to it accomplished early on -- get an idea of what's available and possibly pick up some fun toys for the kids to have the rest of the trip. VERY GOOD chance that this night we will be eating at Earl of Sandwich. Yum!
Lunch? I skipped it didn't I. Based on our main focus of FantasyLand, my guess is we'll wind up at the Village Haus for lunch on this day.
Breakfast buffet - pizza - turkey & swiss sandwich..........Call me silly, but THAT is my kind of food day

Potential punctures in the plan:
-- The crowds. I've never been in September and I've never been with kids before. Things could take longer than I expect, but that's cool....we'll get done what we can. BUT, the big puncture would be the line at Peter Pan's Flight when we get to it after breakfast. We want it to be Disney Ride #1, but if the line is already crazy, then I think we'll have to adjust....grab a FP for it.....and move on. I can handle it (will have to mention this to Bridgette to make sure she's emotionally prepared, though)

Most moveable mission:
-- Parade? I've already mentioned that if need be, we can get flexible with Peter Pan. Otherwise, there is not too much set-in-stone...basically do as much FL, TT, and TL that we can. The evening....see no reason while DTD should get ruined. So, the thing that could get "moved" this day could be the parade. Ideally, we'll do just fine hanging around the park until 3pm. Again, first time with kids, so if crankiness gets too crazy, we'll we may have to leave earlier and try the parade later on.....although, I've done lots of stuff & had lots of busy days with my kids and don't see this being an issue.

Adventuresome ad hoc add-on:
-- A flight? What time wil get to DTD? How nice will the evening be? Don't know....but if we have plenty of time and energy, this night could definitely work out to be a good night to try and get on Characters in Flight. I would love to get the chance to do this and want Bridgette to get an opportunity to try out some 18x zoom pics on the WDW scenery.
Old Key West (2009)
Beach Club (2010, 2011)
Wilderness Lodge (2011)
Old 07-20-2009, 01:17 PM   #165
crocko
DVC Member

Quote:
how funny...Ashton is into live action flicks at the moment
his three favorite: Babe
Nim's Island ??
Journey to the Center of the Earth ???
I can see Babe, but the other two--???
he does like POTC --when I let him watch; he also seems to like Harry Potter go figure
Have yet to see any of those first 3 you mentioned.

As an adult, how would you rate them for enjoyability?
Old Key West (2009)
Beach Club (2010, 2011)
Wilderness Lodge (2011)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: