Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2009, 11:17 AM   #1471
racefanof88
DIS Veteran

Lisa, I can't wait to hear if Hunter was chosen or not. Dallas wanted to try in July, but by the time we were finished eating it was going to be a wait of about an hour before the next training session so we missed it.

I know you are so ready for this next trip to get started . I'm excited for you . I do have to say though I hope you start your TR as soon as you get home because it is now my daily habit to come over to your report to look for your next post .

I know this trip will be extra special .

24 TRIPS AND COUNTING
Old 08-03-2009, 11:28 AM   #1472
aaaateamsgrandma
DIS Veteran

Dana

You should really give it a try. Alex had a ball. He is 10 and tall for his age. We were kind of surprised he got picked. They normally go with the 7-10 year olds. I have tricks that can help as I'm sure all of those Diser's can tell you.

Ginny

Follow this link to see my TR. Rain, Surprise Birthdays, Rain, First Visits and did I mention Rain?

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2211283&
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-03-2009, 12:34 PM   #1473
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Since we weren't planning on staying long at Hollywood Studios, I put just the camera and video camera in the backpack. I had to go through security with the backpack so I told John and Hunter to go ahead of me and I'd catch up. Security took just a few minutes so I was able to catch with them while in line to get in. Of course, this would be the morning that the finger scan thingie took forever to scan Hunter's fingers. They tried it three times when the castmember finally just told him to go through.

We took the first left and went by Hollywood and Vine to get to The Jedi Training Academy. There was absolutely no one other there yet so I backtracked and we to the nearest store to get a times guide. We still had a little while before it started. We looked around in the Star Tours store for a few minutes but Hunter was really too excited to pay attention to what he was looking at. So, we went back outside and saw that a small crowd had gathered around the Jedi Training Academy stage.

Hunter got in amongst the other kids and, not long after, a few castmembers came out and told the parents that they'd have to leave their kids and stand over to the side because the show was going to start soon.

For those of you who don't know how the training academy works, let me fill you in. All of the kids stand in front of and to one side of the training academy stage. Then this guy (Hunter would kill me if he could read this because I know the guy has a name but I am soooo not a Star Wars fan) who apparently some kind of training master comes out and does this spiel about how they need to train new Jedi's to help battle Darth Vader. He walks around and looks out into the crowd of kids and picks out about a dozen to participate. The ones that are chosen are given robes and go on stage where they are given lightsabers. Then the Jedi Master starts training the kids on how to use their lightsabers. After a little while, Darth Vader comes out and each child gets to fight him with their new lightsaber skills.

So, we've been standing there quite some time when the Jedi Master guy comes out and starts picking kids from the audience. Hunter is holding his hand up over his head and screaming "pick me". Kids all around him are getting chosen but then, the picking is over and Hunter is still standing in the audience. Bummer! He watches the show for a while and then comes over to where we are standing. I give him a hug 'cause I could tell he was really disappointed. John looks at me. I look at him. I pull out the Times Guide and see that another show is scheduled for later in the morning. Yep, we were gonna try again.

In the meanwhile, John and Hunter go over to see Sounds Dangerous while I sit outside on a bench and people watch. You know how I like to people watch.

Once Sounds Dangerous was over, we go back over to the training academy stage and this time there are just two families there. Hunter gets to stand center stage. Surely, he's going to get picked this time. While waiting for the show to start, Hunter starts up a conversation with the little boy to the left of him and then the little boy to the right of him. Soon, they were all chatting up a storm as the crowds behind and beside them grew.

The Jedi Master comes out and starts his speech again and then, again, starts picking kids from the crowd. This time, Hunter jumps up and down and waves his hands in the air. Wouldn't you know it....both boys beside him get chosen. Both of them! Hunter doesn't. Crap and double crap! His expression just broke my heart. While he wiggled his way through the crowds, John says "what time is the next show?". Man are we softies!

We told Hunter that we only had time for him to try just once more. Just once and that was it. We absolutely had to get on the road home. We jumped in line for Star Tours because the wait was short. We had a little bit more time to kill so we walked over and looked around at the Indiana Jones cart things. Bought nothin' but did waste some time.

Again, we go back to the training academy stage and Hunter was front and center and there was no one else in the crowd. I had an idea so I told John I'd be right back. John talked with a castmember while I was gone and told her that this was Hunter's 3rd time today to try to get chosen. I ran into the nearest bathroom, pulled off about a two foot long piece of handtowel/napkin. I took it outside and pulled out a bright red marker from the backpack. On the napkin I wrote "Third Times The Charm!". I rolled it up and walked back over to Hunter and gave it to him. I told him to unroll it when it the Jedi Master came out and then hold it up over his head and jump up and down.

To say I was anxious/nervous for Hunter is an understatement. I knew that this would be the last chance for him to get chosen. John took out the video camera and I had the camera ready just in case. I could see Hunter's lips moving and realized that he was saying "Please let me get picked." over and over again. If he didn't get picked, he was going to be heartbroken.

Here are two pictures I took while we waited:

The music started, the Jedi Master came out and started picking kids. Hunter unrolled his banner and started jumping up and down with it. One, two, three, four, five kids got chosen and I was getting worried and then......the Jedi Master chose......Hunter! Hunter leaned over and handed the banner to his dad and up he went onto the stage. I don't think he could have been smiling any bigger. He was sooo happy!

The Jedi Master guy walked around and told them something about the importance of the training, yada yada yada.....

Next, they gave the kids their training lightsabers and taught them some moves:

Then, more music and the Storm Troopers came out:

From admist the smokes comes Darth Vader who taunted the crowd. (This picture is blurry...sorry)

The Jedi Master and his helper pull the kids aside and told them they have to use their new skills to fight Darth Vader.

All but two kids go before Hunter and finally it's his turn:

He goes through all but one of his newly taught moves and it thunders. The Jedi Master stops Hunter mid-swing. Notice Hunter's p.o'd face:

The Jedi Master announces that the show must end because of incliment weather. We all look up to the sky and see that it did look like it'd start raining soon.

The kids were ushered to the side to take off their robes and give back their lightsabers. Then, they gave them all Jedi Training diplomas.

We asked Hunter how he liked it and he said he LOVED it even though he didn't get to throw that last swing in. We put the cameras in the backpack and started our walk out of the park. Hunter unrolled his diploma which was tied with a ribbon. He was grinning from ear to ear. So worth the half day we spent in Hollywood Studios.

We made our way to the front of the park and over to the tram loading area. Hunter wouldn't let me put his diploma in the backpack because it might get smooshed. We hopped on a tram and rode it to where our car was parked which was, of course, almost all the way down to the end of the row. Just as we got to the car, it started sprinkling rain. Perfect timing.

Hunter put his diploma safely on the little ledge on the backseat, we buckled in and pulled out of the parking lot. We waved goodbye to Hollywood Studios but this time with smiles on our faces because Hunter had finally gotten chosen.

******I am going to stop here. I've got to get a little work done. I do have one more installment to post though.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 08-03-2009, 12:35 PM   #1474
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeew80 View Post
LOL! My parents are the same exact way! Whenever they go on any kind of road trip they HAVE to wash the car!!!
I think I totally forgot to respond to your post. I am sorry. John refuses to get on the road without washing the car. It's funny because we have, literally, been in a drive through carwash while it was sprinkling. Gotta have a clean car before hitting the road.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!

Old 08-03-2009, 12:39 PM   #1475
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefanof88 View Post
Lisa, I can't wait to hear if Hunter was chosen or not. Dallas wanted to try in July, but by the time we were finished eating it was going to be a wait of about an hour before the next training session so we missed it.

I know you are so ready for this next trip to get started . I'm excited for you . I do have to say though I hope you start your TR as soon as you get home because it is now my daily habit to come over to your report to look for your next post .

I know this trip will be extra special .
Dana, I just posted the results of whether or not Hunter got chosen. You really should let Dallas give it a try. Hunter had the best time.

And, yes, I am getting pumped about our trip. We hit the road as soon as I get off work this Wednesday. I'll definitely be doing a trip report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaateamsgrandma View Post
Dana

You should really give it a try. Alex had a ball. He is 10 and tall for his age. We were kind of surprised he got picked. They normally go with the 7-10 year olds. I have tricks that can help as I'm sure all of those Diser's can tell you.

Ginny
Ginny, I agree. As you can see from my last installment, there are certain things you can do to draw attention to your child.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:57 PM   #1476
aprilisis

Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
I know...me either. At least I'll come back from another Disney trip soon and can start all over again.

By the way, how are you liking the discussion boards over here? They are lot more fun that the Intercot boards aren't they!
I have to say that I am a lot more comfortable posting here. I'm always worried about offending everyone over there!
By the way, you are inspiring me to write a trip report for my September -October trip.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:07 PM   #1477
dismagiclover
Mrs. Darling: Mom to Wendy, John & Michael

Hunter got chosen! And you really are the best parents in the world trying 3 times. FYI when we were there in June they didn't group all the kids together and ask the parents to move out of the way when they did the picking. They just picked kids from the crowd though most of the kids they picked were up front. They must have recently changed. What a bummer for those last 2 kids that didn't fight Vader because of the "inclement weather." It sure seems like they could have at least let all the kids fight Anyway, I'm glad your story had a happy ending
Old 08-03-2009, 01:10 PM   #1478
Jareds_mommy
DIS Veteran

I am so happy he got picked
DS tried twice last time but didn't
Old 08-03-2009, 01:26 PM   #1479
dd50
DIS Veteran

Doesn't every one get there car washed and oil changed before a trip? That is on my to do list with many other things.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:34 PM   #1480
longing2Batdisney
DIS Veteran

Danny changes the oil, washes the car--usually a wax job if we are in our car, skips it if in the truck, rotate the tires and than does it all again when we get home...my dad does it all also. I just figured everyone does these things...

Lisa, sounds like it was a very magical ending to a wonderful surprise vacation :
So, glad Hunter had he wish to complete his quest on having magical adventure in the land of magic...

Last edited by longing2Batdisney; 08-03-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:37 PM   #1481
retiredkid
Your shots make me want to try again at night
This is gonna be good I can tell

So glad that Hunter got picked. He looks so happy!

And he sure rocked that light sabre!!!
Old 08-03-2009, 01:39 PM   #1482
longing2Batdisney
DIS Veteran

LISA AND TO ALL YOUR FOLLOWERS WHO ARE LEAVING IN THE UPCOMING WEEK

I WISH YOU A VERY SAFE AND MAGICAL on your DISNEY ADVENTURE; for those of us left behind this go round we can't wait for you to come back and share your pictures and adventures with us.

Connie
Old 08-03-2009, 01:52 PM   #1483
aaaateamsgrandma
DIS Veteran

You are the best parents in the world. I know that had to make for one long trip home but WOW. It takes such a little to make a child happy, no matter what the age. Totally awesome. He looked so pleased with himself, as he should be. He was fantastic. I love that first picture and that grin is grand. I was so hoping he would get picked. It is such a disappointment for those kids that don't get chosen I sometimes wish they had a different system. I do think the cm's are careful to watch at each session and can see if some of the kids have been several times so not to pick the same kids twice. I know they announce if you have done it previously to let other kids have a chance. As a matter of fact he picked a boy that had done it earlier in the day and evidently someone said something in his earpiece and he said sorry but not twice in the same day.

Follow this link to see my TR. Rain, Surprise Birthdays, Rain, First Visits and did I mention Rain?

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2211283&
Old 08-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #1484
Villainess
Fantasy and reality often overlap - Walt Disney

Woo Hoo! Hunter got chosen!!!!

Old 08-03-2009, 03:42 PM   #1485
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Yay!!!for Hunter getting chosen!!! Third time is a charm!!! What great parent's you are to keep trying so that Hunter wouldn't be disappointed!! He looked so happy in the pictures!!! After the second time, I must admit I was starting to get a little worried....but so glad it worked out!!
Great update, Lisa!! I'm looking forward to your last installment, but sad that you TR is coming to an end!!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: