Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2009, 10:59 AM   #1636
DisneymoonJess07
I <3 Disney - can I go back now??

Hope you are able to catch up well today! I'm sure there's lots to do!

PTR: MAY we go to Disney? Yes we MAY! May 2014
Our Trip Report: "Say Hi to Mickey for me!" - A Disneymoon Two Years in the Making *unfinished*
Our Pre-Trip Report - 2nd Anniversary Disneymoon Sept. 2009
Booed by n2wdisneyw!
1991 - offsite , 1994 - offsite , 1996 - offsite , 1999 - ASSp , 2009 - POR! w/free dining! 2014 - ?
Old 08-17-2009, 11:21 AM   #1637
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Morning everyone! I hate to report that I'm back to the same old grind.....work. But, I've gotta work to keep food on the table, a child in college and save a little moola for our next Disney trip.

Hunter missed his first half day of school Friday but went to school today. He was super pumped up about starting a new school but called his Mamaw a little after 8:00 a.m. What was the problem? He wasn't supposed to go to school today. Just the 7th and 8th graders went today...not the 6th graders.

Not a great way to start a new school year but at least he was able to get his schedule. He was excited to see that he got his first elective....."strings". That means, I am going to have to rent some sort of instrument.

From what I can tell, it seems that I only lost 176 pictures. Thank goodness Lacey had her camera with her so I have some backup. She doesn't take a whole lotta pictures like her Mama does and they aren't the same kinds of things that I take pictures of but at least I have some.

I will definitely be taking the camera to the camera shop this weekend. I can't even get the dumb thing to turn on now so there's something really wrong with it.

I brought my new camera to work with me (priorities ) and am now downloading the 800+ that were on the one memory card I brought with me.

Work isn't too bad. When I turned on my computer, the settings were all changed. I don't know about you guys but if I were somebody who was just filling in, I wouldn't go and change up the computer settings.

Anyway, the clients and my boss are glad that I'm back. I have already starting prepping the bossman for next year's trip. We really don't want to go back in August again. It was super hot and sweaty. I don't sweat a lot but on some days, I could feel trickles of sweat on me. Yuck! I want to go back the last week of May through the first week of June like we did for years and years.

John and I actually talked about the possibility of homeschooling Hunter. That way, we could go on vacation any time we liked. It's something we are just throwing around in our minds right now.

I'm going to get back to work a little bit but will definitely be back.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-17-2009, 11:34 AM   #1638
aaaateamsgrandma
DIS Veteran

We are so glad to have you back. We did manage to chat without you but it was not the same.

I hate that about your pictures. We still have a roll of film missing from our cruise 5 years ago.

I would say no to messing with someone's computer settings but if you remember who worked for you I bet you aren't really surprised.

Poor Hunter. Funny but too bad for him he had to get up when he could have had one more sleep day.

There are a lot of homeschool moms on Dis. I personally have several friends that have done it and they say the work part is fun but they hate they miss activities. Our area has a home school football, basketball, soccer and baseball team tho. They use our school cause we have the newest stadium, lighted soccer fields, biggest gym and new baseball fields. The school gets some extra money and our booster club works concessions for the extra money.

Follow this link to see my TR. Rain, Surprise Birthdays, Rain, First Visits and did I mention Rain?

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2211283&
Old 08-17-2009, 11:43 AM   #1639
lisalonglash
I have a thing for actors nobody else thinks are yummalicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
We're home! Got in about 45 minutes ago. I'll be back later tomorrow (well, actually today) to post more.

Chat with ya'll tomorrow!

P.S. Guess what my first purchase was?!?! The 2009 Mickey plush for Mr. Ashton!
Welcome home!! Nice purchase!

Quote:
I'm about to play around with my camera. Guess what......it died on me mid-trip. And, yes, it deleted about 170 pictures. Ughhhhh! John and I made a trip to WalMart in Kissimmee at 2:00 a.m. Yes, I said 2:00 a.m.!

I've already washed 3 loads of clothes and am about to put in load number 4. I'll be back in a little while to give a few more details.
Oh no, I'm sorry about your camera problems You went to W-M at 2:00AM? Ah yes, post-vacation laundry - blech!
Me and dh Ds#1(14yo) Ds#2(11yo)

September 2013 - Disney World w/FD (POFQ)
September 2009 - Disney World w/FD(ASMu)
October 2008 - Disney World (ASSp)
May 2007 - Disneyland Resort Paris (off-site in Paris)
Old 08-17-2009, 12:33 PM   #1640
MICKEY4EVER!
Are we there yet?

Yes, I can imagine that someone changing my computer settings would be a bit annoying when I returned to work. I wouldn't have done that, knowing that my work was temporary.

Still stinks that you lost all of those pictures, but hopefully they can be recovered. We are all on pins and needles, I think, awaiting your first installment!!!! It's so wonderful to have you back!

"The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you."

"You can't keep trouble from visitin, but you don't have to offer it no chair."
Old 08-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #1641
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Morning everyone! I hate to report that I'm back to the same old grind.....work. But, I've gotta work to keep food on the table, a child in college and save a little moola for our next Disney trip.

Hunter missed his first half day of school Friday but went to school today. He was super pumped up about starting a new school but called his Mamaw a little after 8:00 a.m. What was the problem? He wasn't supposed to go to school today. Just the 7th and 8th graders went today...not the 6th graders.

Not a great way to start a new school year but at least he was able to get his schedule. He was excited to see that he got his first elective....."strings". That means, I am going to have to rent some sort of instrument.

From what I can tell, it seems that I only lost 176 pictures. Thank goodness Lacey had her camera with her so I have some backup. She doesn't take a whole lotta pictures like her Mama does and they aren't the same kinds of things that I take pictures of but at least I have some.

I will definitely be taking the camera to the camera shop this weekend. I can't even get the dumb thing to turn on now so there's something really wrong with it.

I brought my new camera to work with me (priorities ) and am now downloading the 800+ that were on the one memory card I brought with me.

Work isn't too bad. When I turned on my computer, the settings were all changed. I don't know about you guys but if I were somebody who was just filling in, I wouldn't go and change up the computer settings.

Anyway, the clients and my boss are glad that I'm back. I have already starting prepping the bossman for next year's trip. We really don't want to go back in August again. It was super hot and sweaty. I don't sweat a lot but on some days, I could feel trickles of sweat on me. Yuck! I want to go back the last week of May through the first week of June like we did for years and years.

John and I actually talked about the possibility of homeschooling Hunter. That way, we could go on vacation any time we liked. It's something we are just throwing around in our minds right now.

I'm going to get back to work a little bit but will definitely be back.

Welcome back! I would be supremely annoyed if someone touched my settings. I get annoyed if someone touches my computer at all!

I admire people who homeschool. I couldn't do it (and I have to work lol) but I can see some of the advantages of it!

Your comment about the August heat is my big hang up with going then but I'm not sure we are going to have much of a choice! We'll see... Looking forward to hearing about your trip! And happy that the loss wasn't huge...although 176 is still a lot of pics!
Old 08-17-2009, 01:03 PM   #1642
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalonglash View Post
Welcome home!! Nice purchase!

Oh no, I'm sorry about your camera problems You went to W-M at 2:00AM? Ah yes, post-vacation laundry - blech!
The 2009 Mickey plush was the very first thing I saw when I walked into Old Port Royale. I just knew that I had to get it for my fellow Diser.

The camera started acting up a bit a few days before it finally just shut down completely. At first, I thought it was the batteries so I put in more. Then, it did it again the next morning. I knew that I didn't run down batteries in just one day. It finally went kerplunk during our Hollywood Studios day.

The next morning, we were headed to Typhoon Lagoon so I didn't really need the camera. But, John wanted to go ahead and get one. Well, we didn't leave Hollywood Studios until Midnight. We got to the room about 30 minutes later. We discussed whether or not to find a WalMart. I looked in the phone book and there were about 2 dozen WalMarts in the Kissimmee/Orlando area. I called one of them and they gave me directions.

At 1:20 a.m., we left Lacey and Hunter in the room and went off on our trek to find WalMart. We drove around for what seemed like forever and didn't find it. We turned back around and took another road which we thought led to another WalMart. We drove around again and didn't find it. We finally pulled into a Walgreen's and the lady said there was one just down the road from where we used to stay on West Irlo Bronson. We pulled into WalMart around 2:00 a.m. We looked at a bunch of the cameras and then the lady who checked us out couldn't figure out that we didn't want the extended warranty. Had to wait for a CM to come along and void out the whole thing and start all over again. Ultimately, we got checked out and were back at the resort just shy of 3:00 a.m.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICKEY4EVER! View Post
Yes, I can imagine that someone changing my computer settings would be a bit annoying when I returned to work. I wouldn't have done that, knowing that my work was temporary.

Still stinks that you lost all of those pictures, but hopefully they can be recovered. We are all on pins and needles, I think, awaiting your first installment!!!! It's so wonderful to have you back!
The more I look at the pictures that I have, the more I think maybe it was mostly old pictures that were lost. I haven't gone through them all yet though.

Although I hate coming back to "the real world", I am glad to be back and posting on the disboards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Welcome back! I would be supremely annoyed if someone touched my settings. I get annoyed if someone touches my computer at all!

I admire people who homeschool. I couldn't do it (and I have to work lol) but I can see some of the advantages of it!

Your comment about the August heat is my big hang up with going then but I'm not sure we are going to have much of a choice! We'll see... Looking forward to hearing about your trip! And happy that the loss wasn't huge...although 176 is still a lot of pics!
The girl was only here for 5 full days and she messed with the computer settings. She didn't even type one letter or memo so I don't know why she had to fiddle with my computer. Oh well, won't do any good to fuss 'cause she's the boss's sister.

Like I said, we are bouncing around the idea of homeschooling. Hunter has a whole lot of friends at church who he sees every Wednesday night. He also plays football for the private school he used to attend so he'd be able to still have a lot of interaction with his friends. The only problem is it's been so long since I've been in school, I would probably need homeschooling before I could homeschool him.

I don't remember the August heat being that bad in 2008 but in 2009 it was soooo hot to me. And, I am an outside person who is used to record temperatures and humidity.

I'm going to try to shoot for the last week of May/first week of June, 2010 for our return. I started trying to get John into thinking about doing a Disney land/sea cruise in 2010. Don't know if it's gonna happen but I'm still going to check into it.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 08-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #1643
MadilynnsMomma
...first star to the right, and straight on til morning...

Quote:
You could have a whole month of Disney curriculum followed with a field trip to Disney!!!

Join the 2012 MNSSHP Guest List Now!!!

Old 08-17-2009, 04:08 PM   #1644
MK2010
Mouseketeer

We are a homeschooling family. the History of Disney does count as the history component. For science he can figure how many Gs different rides pull and exactly how that affects the human body. As for math "If monorail A left Epcot at 1:15 and monorail B...."
Besides as long as a kid learns how to book and orchestrate a Disney vacation what more is there to life? (Just make sure he marries rich )
ASMu 2009
Old 08-17-2009, 04:38 PM   #1645
longing2Batdisney
DIS Veteran

So, far only on your first post from this AM. We homeschooled Gwendolyn (7,8,9) & Dayne (3,4,5). They missed the interaction of being w/other kids (we homeschooled with another family but they wanted to be with other kids, too) I tried to find local groups but it was not that big at the time. NOW, they have wonderful groups and awesome high school groups where the parents take a different subject and the kids move from one place to another daily...you would work with the teacher one day and week and peer learing the other four for each subject. the reason I know this is Dayne hated HS when he started. Now I wish I would have let him, just that Dayne was my problem child; he does EVERTHING later. But, we did love it, and they have alot of great circullium (spelling) out there. We loved A Beka Books!!

So, sorry to hear about your camera...hope when they try to fix it they can find some/all for you.
That would have ruined my entire day to come back to work and have my computer rearranged...

OK let me go and read your next post.

Last edited by longing2Batdisney; 08-17-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:53 PM   #1646
longing2Batdisney
DIS Veteran

I am thinking about homeschooling Ashton or catholic school. Still need to check into the lower grade homeschool local group. My only recommendation to homeschooling before you start is find a really good group to work with. I helped Gwendolyn w/alot of her work but most of her work was done w/the help of teachers by computer. I paid for her work to be recorded and graded (so, it considered correspondence high school) when she transferred into the high school they added it to her transcript and she just had to test out of the subjects she had already taken (she had said was easy--everything but French). Dayne was actually a year ahead on science and history when he returned so he had to repeat (which I'm sure was a good thing).
When we went to WDW in 2001 we incorporated into our lessons that year, geography (that was alot of fun). Science/math

good luck with the decision; it is a very personal one; and if it is something that Hunter is interested in it can be a wonderful experience... Oh and buy the way LSU has a wonderful High school correspondence and you can earn a LA state diploma through them (it is different than an actual diploma; but if you go that route check it out)!!
Old 08-17-2009, 07:55 PM   #1647
racefanof88
DIS Veteran

Lisa, I am glad you are back. I have totally missed you and your posts. I'm glad ya'll had a safe trip.

I homeschool Dallas and we really enjoy it. We belong to a homeschool group that we go on field trips with and have park days. Some of my facebook friends are a part of that group. We can learn at our own pace and that makes it much easier for us.

I am anxiously .

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3261767 Hey save some of that, it has to last us a week.....March 22-March 28th, 2014 Trip Report

24 TRIPS AND COUNTING
Old 08-17-2009, 07:57 PM   #1648
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Hi Lisa!!

So sorry about the lost pictures. I hope you are able to retrieve them.

We have also considered homeschooling our boys. But since I returned to school last fall and still have another year left. We're not sure how it would work right now. But it's definitely something we would very much like to do in the near future.

The heat is the only thing I'm not looking forward to on our trip since I'm so used to the beautiful weather we usually see in April. But...hey I'll be at Disney next week so I know I'll be happy no matter what!!!

Old 08-17-2009, 10:25 PM   #1649
hhockman
DIS Veteran

I'm so glad you're back (though I know you're not!). We missed you. I'm looking forward to reading your first installment. I hope you didn't loose too many pictures.

As far as Homeschooling, I've definitely thought about it too. Especially when we still lived in Florida. I think the boys would enjoy it, and I'm certified to teach Elementary and Middle School. Our problem is 1) if we're ever going to get out of my parents' house we can't afford it, and 2) I don't seem to have the patience with my own children that I have with other people's. I think you would be great though! I'm interested to hear what you decide.

Hope you got at least a little rest in today too!
Old 08-18-2009, 11:09 AM   #1650
aaaateamsgrandma
DIS Veteran

Good mornng Lisa. Hope your day is more calm and you are back in the "groove". That is the worst part of coming back. Getting organized again.

Have a good one.

Ginny

Follow this link to see my TR. Rain, Surprise Birthdays, Rain, First Visits and did I mention Rain?

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2211283&

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: