Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2009, 05:51 AM   #46
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

I sincerely hope common sense will prevail and they won't loose Segway riders upon WDW.
It's not necessary.
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:00 AM   #47
Andrew Bichard
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinaC View Post
If disney allowed segways I really don't think that the segway company is going to have an explosion on orders. People don't have the money to buy. Only people that have the need for it are going to make the sacrifice.
I don't agree with your assumption. For the most part, the 'disabled' tend to earn less, have smaller incomes, have much higher living expnses and are less likely to be able to afford (or to rent) a Segway.

In my neighbourhood, you hardly ever see wheelchair users, largely because they don't have jobs, live on benefits, can't afford powerchairs or scooters and therefore don't go out often. I am lucky, despite my disability, to have a job and an income and just about managed to save enough to buy a powerchair, install a lift in my home, build a disabled access bathroom and buy myself a very expensive 'drive from wheelchair' adapted van. There is no way in the world I could afford a Segway as well (not that I could ride one).

There is a powerchair called an Ibot. (You can see one at Innoventions). It can stand up on two wheels like a Segway (I think it is made by the same company). I would really like the thrill of riding one. I don't need one, I just want to ride one. But the price of an Ibot is out of this world. I could never afford one!

It is nothing to do with making a sacrifice. Very few disabled could afford one.

Now I know that every diability is unique, but I must speculate as to what disability prevents walking and sitting but allows standing. What do these 'disabled' Segway users do when they are not riding around Disney parks? If they can't sit on an ECV, does that mean they have to stand up all day at their place of work, and all evening at home watching television? Do they have to remain standing at restaurants and in their hotel rooms at Disney?

Andrew

Last edited by Andrew Bichard; 06-09-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Andrew Bichard is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-09-2009, 07:18 AM   #48
KYMickey
Adding EARS to Kentucky!

Location: Louisville Kentucky, home of the Derby and the 2014 TPC championship!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bichard View Post
Now I know that every diability is unique, but I must speculate as to what disability prevents walking and sitting but allows standing. What do these IBOT users do when they are not at riding around Disney parks? If they can't sit on an ECV, does that mean they have to stand up all day at their place of work, and all evening at home watching television? Do they have to remain standing at restaurants and in their hotel rooms at Disney?
My thoughts exactly! People that want them don't really need them, they just want a toy! And don't care me any of that crap about quality of life. If they were truly handicapped they'd appreciate just getting out and doing things and wouldn't be worried about how they got around. They probably just have a bunion and want to look cool!

Just to let everyone know, I am presently handicapped and confined to a wheelchair. I'm just glad to travel and do things and could care less about how I get around, as long as I can.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #49
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroed View Post
Hahaha...I thought I was the only one around here cynical enough to imagine someone doing this.

I would love to ride a Segway around Disney and if they win the lawsuit I will demand Disney allow me to ride one. I will claim a disability since my hemorrhoids won't let me sit on an ECV.

I will run over you if you want me to.
Bring it on!! You can run into me on the bridge near France and I'll go flying off into the water. You'll hurt me real good and we'll be rich!!
Old 06-09-2009, 08:43 PM   #50
monkeyknuckler
Mouseketeer

Quote:
... I must speculate as to what disability prevents walking and sitting but allows standing.
Andrew
Some people have severe circulatory problems, not allowing them to walk any great distances, but able to stand just fine. My Dad has this condition, not sure if you would call it a disability or not. But I know with absolute certainty that he would mow down more than his fair share of people with a Segway.

2002 CBR, 2004 Poly, 2004 Swan and Wonder, 2005 DL, 2007 Poly, 2008 DL, 2008 WL, 2009 GF, 2009 SPR, 2010 BLT/AKV, 2010 DL VGC, 2011 Poly, Magic, PORFQ, BLT. 2012 BLT,AULANI,VGC, DL Htl, 2013 BLT, ABD K&L, DL Paris,2014 BLT, VBR.
monkeyknuckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:24 PM   #51
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
There is a powerchair called an Ibot. (You can see one at Innoventions). It can stand up on two wheels like a Segway (I think it is made by the same company). I would really like the thrill of riding one. I don't need one, I just want to ride one. But the price of an Ibot is out of this world. I could never afford one!

It is nothing to do with making a sacrifice. Very few disabled could afford one!

Andrew
A sad update to the IBOT
they are no longer being sold. The main reason was that people could not afford to buy one and their insurance would not pay for one because insurers did not see the value of the extra features the wheelchair had. It also requred some extra practice to learn how to use and only people with a certain set of abilities were able to use some of the features.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:58 PM   #52
TStrickland01
Houston we have a problem...

merryweather20 I agree with you completely. Having been in a wheelchair before there are two things. Most don't really understand how they interact with you even if it is inadvertant. And a Segway is over the top and this case should have been thrown out as specious, and now that a settlement has been rejected, the plaintiffs should have to pay Disney's court and attorney's fees.

'72,'83,'84,'06,'07,'08,'09,'10 (condo); '12 POP,'13 CBR
TStrickland01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:11 AM   #53
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

I'm having a problem with Disney paying each person $4,000 and they are using it for a Disney vacation. Why would you sue Disney then take a vacation there?
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:04 PM   #54
Andrew Bichard
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Disney Mom View Post
I'm having a problem with Disney paying each person $4,000 and they are using it for a Disney vacation. Why would you sue Disney then take a vacation there?
I'm just guessing here, but possibly Disney offered them a stay at Disney up to the value of $4000 in settlement. I would suspect that $4000 in cash was never on the table!

By offering a holiday rather than cash, Disney would take back a part of the compensation equivalent to their mark-up.

Andrew
Andrew Bichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:08 AM   #55
KYMickey
Adding EARS to Kentucky!

Location: Louisville Kentucky, home of the Derby and the 2014 TPC championship!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Disney Mom View Post
Maybe because the real reason for this suit was just to get money anyway? And since they're Disney fans anyway, where would you expect them to go with extra money? They probably you love Disney and just used this opportunity to make a few dollars.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: