Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2009, 09:36 PM   #31
M-I-C-K-E-Y
DIS Veteran

Disney can ban bicycles, unicycles, tricycles, mopeds, soapbox derby cars, and other assorted wheeled vehicles, in addition to roller blades, roller skates, and wheeled tennis shoes. Why are segways any different??
Old 06-05-2009, 11:30 PM   #32
JeanfromBNA
"Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming!"

We did a Segway tour with DCL. One of the tour members lost control of her Segway and was injured (bruises and scrapes). My husband had to pull it off of her from where she had it jammed up against a tree with her leg under it.

We love Segways and have been on a few tours since our first in Epcot, but as Cheshire Figment states, Disney can't demand proof of disability now under the ADA, and I can't see how Disney would be able to check Segway experience unless somebody gives out Segway licenses.

1995 Disney Institute Treehouses 2005 Wilderness Lodge 2007 Yacht Club 2008 Coronado Springs 2008 Beach Club 2009 Grand Floridian 2009 Disney Wonder
2009 Disney Wonder 2009 Polynesian Resort 2011 Coronado Springs 2011 Portofino Bay Hotel UO 2012 Old Key West October, 2012, Proud new DVC AKL Kidani owners!May, 2013 Disney DreamSeptember, 2013 AulaniMarch, 2014 BWV October, 2014 AKV
JeanfromBNA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-06-2009, 12:11 AM   #33
KYMickey
Adding EARS to Kentucky!

Location: Louisville Kentucky, home of the Derby and the 2014 TPC championship!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowgod View Post
Once again, we have all of the non-segway people, claiming that the segway is dangerous to use in a pedestrian filled environment. Yes there are reports of Segways having accidents but those accidents involve other Segways, cars and other wheeled vehicles. Show me an accident involving a pedestrian and a Segway!
You're probably connect you won't find many (maybe none) incidents where a segway has injured a pedestrian. However there is a big reason for this, most Segways are not you in areas where there are many pedestrian. Ones that are are driven by highly trained individuals such as the CM's at Disney, police officers, etc. If the gates are once opened for Segways to be used in Disney I'm sure it won't be long before there will be injuries and lawsuits against Disney (not the operators).

I've ridden a segway several times quite proficiently but I certainly wouldn't want to drive one in the crowds at Disney! If you want to see some Segway accidents just take a look on Youtube!
Old 06-06-2009, 02:08 AM   #34
Expert_Glider
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsToad View Post
We have seen a couple of inexperienced people fall because they forgot to watch for the curbs and because they lost control going down hill and they couldn't slow down in time.
Making it seem like you are talking about Segway's at Disney is totally false. Disney (for the most part) has no "hills".

This is a farce and didn't happen.
Expert_Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:16 AM   #35
merryweather20
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert_Glider View Post
Making it seem like you are talking about Segway's at Disney is totally false. Disney (for the most part) has no "hills".

Walt Disney World has many hills, and there are curbs all over.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:31 AM   #36
livndisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:

While I understand this is a personal crusade for you. Just because you make a statement doesn't make it true. Disney in fact has many hills of varying degrees. One example is the ramp to the monorail at MK. Another is the ramp to the monorail at EPCOT. Living with the Land pavillion is a continuous hill (to say nothing of the incline to the entrance). The only way to access the lower portion of the building where most of the attraction is is by moving stairway or elevator.

Last edited by livndisney; 06-06-2009 at 10:26 AM. Reason: sp
livndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:48 AM   #37
MrsToad

Mouseketeer

Quote:

You are incorrect. For example, the Epcot Segway tour takes you through the gardens in Japan; you ride up the hill, over the little bridge, and back down the hill again. The tour also takes you down hill where you cross from France back to United Kingdom. I make mistakes sometimes, but I don't make up stories.
MrsToad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:29 PM   #38
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

It is interesting the "Expert Glider" is a new member and the only posts the person has are in this thread and a similar one in the disABILITIES Forum. It appears also that the person may be a member of DRAFT, which for some reason has a political agenda to push the use of Segways. There was a different person (Tarkus) from this organization a couple of years ago whose only posts involved Segways. So this person is really an outsisder and probably no actual interest in Disney.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! Currently at Everything Pop Merchandise after nine years in Guest Services/Ticket Sales.

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #39
zeroed
Kickin' it mad tiggerish, yo!

I don't blame Disney one bit. They have to protect themselves by preparing safety rules designed to save us and them from the lowest denominator of stupid guests.

The park already has too many ECVs crashing into kids or my ankles and mostly driven by folks who are obviously incapable of safely operating them. Disney should test the driver's ability to manipulate controls and steering before renting one.

Can you imagine how long the wait to board your resort bus would be as they load multiple ECVs and Segways? It's already ridiculous as it is.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:15 PM   #40
MartinaC
Mouseketeer

segway

Wow, Has anyone posting researched the price of a segway? The chance of 100's of people who own them ending up at a disney park at the same time is highly unlikely. As for renting one, all disney has to do is not allow a rental agency to have an agency on site (downtown disney). I myself have had to hurry out of the way of someone in a ecv numourus times. Motorize anything at disney is a hazard. I think the public thinks you can get these for $199 at the local wal-mart. Do some research. When you purchase a segway you get some instruction time at the dealer as well as an instruction video and manuel. With times the hard time hitting people are just lucky to have the money to get to take a vacation. If disney allowed segways I really don't think that the segway company is going to have an explosion on orders. People don't have the money to buy. Only people that have the need for it are going to make the sacrafice.
MartinaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:42 PM   #41
Snowgod
Blu-ray Movies - Wow!

The Segway is not certified as a medical device because Dean Kamen invented a wheelchair that can stand up and climb stairs. His deal with Johnson and Johnson allowed him to use this technology to build the SEGWAY Human Transporter. It did not allow them to market the SEGWAY as a medical device. There is no reason that it cannot be used as one if the disabled individual so chooses.

The SEGWAY center of gravity is approximately 7 inches off the ground.

Going down even the steepest hill on a SEGWAY requires just a slight pressure on your heels, This then charges the batteries. If you bend your knees and sit back a little you can stop fast enough to squeal the tires.

WDW has very few places that are not slightly up or down hill. Walt did this on intentionally beginning at Disneyland.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:23 PM   #42
KYMickey
Adding EARS to Kentucky!

Location: Louisville Kentucky, home of the Derby and the 2014 TPC championship!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinaC View Post
Wow, Has anyone posting researched the price of a segway? The chance of 100's of people who own them ending up at a disney park at the same time is highly unlikely. As for renting one, all disney has to do is not allow a rental agency to have an agency on site (downtown disney). I myself have had to hurry out of the way of someone in a ecv numourus times. Motorize anything at disney is a hazard. I think the public thinks you can get these for $199 at the local wal-mart. Do some research. When you purchase a segway you get some instruction time at the dealer as well as an instruction video and manuel. With times the hard time hitting people are just lucky to have the money to get to take a vacation. If disney allowed segways I really don't think that the segway company is going to have an explosion on orders. People don't have the money to buy. Only people that have the need for it are going to make the sacrafice.
I agree people are not going to go out and purchase Segways but I bet some local businesses will and began renting them to people to use in Disney. These people will have little or no training before they are let loose!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowgod View Post
The SEGWAY center of gravity is approximately 7 inches off the ground.
Yes, but the CG moves up significantly when somebody is on it and that person is what's going to cause the problem, not the Segway it self.

Last edited by KYMickey; 06-07-2009 at 08:03 AM.
KYMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:57 AM   #43
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

I hope they let them in WDW because I'm going to do everything possible to get hit by one and then sue sue sue like crazy. I'll hit the jackpot.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:16 AM   #44
zeroed
Kickin' it mad tiggerish, yo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut33 View Post
I hope they let them in WDW because I'm going to do everything possible to get hit by one and then sue sue sue like crazy. I'll hit the jackpot.
Hahaha...I thought I was the only one around here cynical enough to imagine someone doing this.

I would love to ride a Segway around Disney and if they win the lawsuit I will demand Disney allow me to ride one. I will claim a disability since my hemorrhoids won't let me sit on an ECV.

I will run over you if you want me to.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:35 AM   #45
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker, Fairly-Good Sailing Master, Recently Ordained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut33 View Post
1) Count me in !
2) We can make this a Class Action.
3) My golf pro says my swing problem is not keeping my right heel down.
4) This MUST be some kind of malady or disability.
5) Therefore, I should be entitled to use a Segway !
TheRustyScupper is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: