Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2009, 12:09 AM   #31
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docter419 View Post
Don't worry about waking up early on your vacation. Its a must for Disneyland!
Thanks for the encouragement Doctor419. I think I can wake up early...we'll see about DW and DN. I'm more worried that I won't be able to sleep because I'm so excited.

I enjoyed your honeymoon TR. ESPN Zone is one of my favorite places, too.

Last edited by Hawleys; 06-30-2009 at 12:09 AM. Reason: because i still can't spell
Hawleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:12 AM   #32
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dwellers View Post
I've been off the boards for a little pre-vacation vacation trip. Living large at a resort pool for a few days. Our Target has Disney themed Pez dispensers. And the Dollar Spot at Target had all sorts of Disney items just last week. My 12 year old son suggests Pirates stuff.
I will head over to Target and look for the Disney themed Pez dispensers. That sounds just perfect.

A pre-vacation trip sounds great! Can you share your location (besides poolside, of course )?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-30-2009, 12:18 PM   #33
Desert Dwellers
Mouseketeer

We skipped down to Tucson for a few days and stayed at the Loews Ventana Canyon. The kids and I were poolside, while Mr. Dwellers played golf. Tucson is still plenty warm, but it's a good 10 degrees cooler than Phoenix. I checked weather for Anaheim this week - it's supposed to be 81 degrees!!!
Desert Dwellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:12 AM   #34
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We skipped down to Tucson for a few days and stayed at the Loews Ventana Canyon. The kids and I were poolside, while Mr. Dwellers played golf. Tucson is still plenty warm, but it's a good 10 degrees cooler than Phoenix. I checked weather for Anaheim this week - it's supposed to be 81 degrees!!!
Wow, I looked at the this resort online and it is beautiful. Hopefully, you will be rested and relaxed for your next travels. Have an incredible trip to Disneyland TOMORROW! Can't wait to read about it.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:38 PM   #35
yupikgal
DIS Veteran

Basketballmom, we are going to be there the exact dates that you are! Are you staying at Ho Jo's again? The last time we were in California was 1999, our kids were 7 and 4, now they are 17 and 14!! What a big change..I'm still not exactly sure where we are staying, I am thinking the Fairfield Inn or the Homewood Suites, we need somewhere where we can have 3 separate beds (1 for me and DH, 1 each for the kids, since they are too big to sleep together now) I'm glad to say that you like the summer, because we've never been there then, and I was kind of scared but it sounds like it will work out as long as we take long breaks in between visits!

Can't wait!!

Kelly from the 49th state

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballmom View Post
I just had to reply and say.......YAY August!!! We are going too! August 8-13.

Our last 3 trips were the last week of July, 2005, first week of August, 2006, and the weekend after Labor day, 2007. I will say that we LOVED being there in the summer! We are get to the parks at opening kind of people, and also the go-go-go type! Yeah, it is busy, but everything is open, the park hours are longer.....and you can take a 3-4 hour afternoon break and still get tons done!! Also, breaking up walking and riding with a show is a good way to cool down and rest your feet! Aladdin, Billy Hill, Turtle Talk with Crush....and others....good way to take a break!

We stayed at the HOJO in 2006. I don't remember the convenience store being super shocking expensive....I do remember it was nice and had lots of stuff! Milk, fruit, snacks, drinks....I think we even needed something random like nail clippers and they had them. The walk to the park was nice too.

So what are we down to?? 67 days??
DL, CA, DD Feb 23-26, 2012 Paradise Pier!!
Going back to DL & Southern California! 5/26-6/10, 2011
Anaheim/Disneyland/Las Vegas! May 21-June 3, 2010
Disneyland, California Adventure (Anaheim) San Diego August 8-12, 13-16, 2009
Disneyworld, D Wonder & Universal Studios: Oct. 2003
Polynesian Resort, Royal Pacific Resort
Disneyland: November 1999
Disneyworld: October 1994

yupikgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:04 PM   #36
yupikgal
DIS Veteran

Ride Max sounds great!

I went to the website, and I'm sure that we will be purchasing this, especially seeing as we have never been to DL in the summer...what a great idea! Thanks everyone!!

Quote:
Algorithms are cool! I love RideMax, esp. in summer. We pay so much to visit Disneyland, I want to make sure we are efficient in our touring. But I want to have fun, as well.

Just plug in those attractions that are absolutely must do. It will increase your enjoyment because your wait times are minimized. Schedule in large breaks during the day to allow for free time and exploration. RideMax can work, even with different vacation personalities.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:42 PM   #37
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yupikgal View Post
I went to the website, and I'm sure that we will be purchasing this, especially seeing as we have never been to DL in the summer...what a great idea! Thanks everyone!!
I have been playing around with Ridemax for the last couple weeks and it is just awesome. Even if we don't follow the plans exactly it gives a really good idea of the best time of day to visit different attractions and how to use FastPass to your advantage.

They are also going to make a version for the iPhone, if you are lucky enough to have one.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:47 PM   #38
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

August Ridemax data are available

Yea!

The August Ridemax data are available and I have been spending way too much time making itineraries and backup itineraries. Planning is half the fun, right?

In other really exciting news, it looks like we will be buying AP passes while we are at DLR after all.

Our friend KS was visiting us a few weeks ago and I was telling her about our trip in August. She is a PhD student at UC Santa Cruz and decided that she should really visit Disneyland before she gets her degree and heads off to who knows where. Of course I invited her to come with us. Everyone loves Disneyland, right? The more the merrier right? Well...not according to DW.

DW has been wanting to take this trip with our nephew for many years and has been looking forward to spending some quality time with him. He lives in Indiana and we only see him about once a year. She let me know that she would like our trip to be just the three of us so that the focus in on Baedyn. Isn't she an awesome aunt?!?

So...I had to call KS and explain the situation. She is a lovely person and she was really understanding. Since August wasn't going to work, we talked about going sometime in the fall, maybe in October for Gay Days. And since we are going again, it just makes financial sense to buy the AP. While I am so excited to be able to plan a second trip, I am a bit worried about the finances. The main reason we decided not to get APs was because DW is taking an 8% pay cut this year. On the bright side, she is keeping her job. We are going to have do some serious penny pinching to save the money for this trip.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:13 PM   #39
Desert Dwellers
Mouseketeer

Hawleys, I am back home now. I'm surrounded by piles of laundry. Yesterday I downloaded pictures from the two cameras onto the computer, so this afternoon I hope to post my trip report with some of the better pics.

But the crowds were fine. I really was expecting the worst, but it was great. New Orleans Square gets crazy right before Fantasmic, so most nights we stayed away.

Ridemax worked great! The first day we were ahead a half hour to an hour. We had to make adjustments along the way because rides would close down for a while.

But after a while, you get the flow of the fast passes, and I could work a system of always having a current fast pass, so the last day, we didn't even use the Ridemax. I know a lot of people just collect fast passes during the morning and use them in the evening after they've expired. I don't know if it's my OCD, but I was unable to do that. I was compelled to use them during the window of time printed on the ticket. Oy.

You know, I'm jealous that you haven't taken your August trip yet, and you're already planning the second trip!
Old 07-21-2009, 05:12 PM   #40
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hawleys, I am back home now. I'm surrounded by piles of laundry. Yesterday I downloaded pictures from the two cameras onto the computer, so this afternoon I hope to post my trip report with some of the better pics.

But the crowds were fine. I really was expecting the worst, but it was great. New Orleans Square gets crazy right before Fantasmic, so most nights we stayed away.

Ridemax worked great! The first day we were ahead a half hour to an hour. We had to make adjustments along the way because rides would close down for a while.

But after a while, you get the flow of the fast passes, and I could work a system of always having a current fast pass, so the last day, we didn't even use the Ridemax. I know a lot of people just collect fast passes during the morning and use them in the evening after they've expired. I don't know if it's my OCD, but I was unable to do that. I was compelled to use them during the window of time printed on the ticket. Oy.

You know, I'm jealous that you haven't taken your August trip yet, and you're already planning the second trip!
Hi DesertDwellers. Thanks for the info on Ridemax and crowds and especially the tip about avoiding New Orleans square if we are not going to Fantasmic. I'm prepared to use Fastpass after the expiration window but I understand the OCD tendencies. I've loaded Ridemax onto my laptop so that I can do last minute reworking while we are at DLR.

The pictures you posted in your trip report were great! Hopefully, by now you have plowed through the post-trip laundry. (love this icon)

Things are shaping up nicely for the October trip. I haven't purchased flights yet but there are some great deals (~$160 RT). I did book the Desert Inn and Suites because there didn't seem to be many hotels available (Hojo's and Fairfield Inn are completely booked!!). The big thing between now and October will be saving money.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:29 PM   #41
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

Some itinerary changes

A quick refresher...we arrive at LAX around 9:30am on August 8th and we are taking the Disneyland Express to the Hojo. I'm hoping that we will get to the hotel by 11 or 11:30am to drop off our bags. Or maybe check in but it will be so early that I'm not really holding my breath on that one. The old plan was to drop off the bags, grab a bite to eat, get our park tickets (we have vouchers from Ares travel so we have to wait in line) and then jump on the bus to head off to Buena Park for to surprise the nephew with a 3:30 show at Medieval Times.

I got a call from Medieval Times a few days ago to let me know that the 3:30pm show had been canceled. We have been rescheduled for the 6:30pm show. At first I was kind of bummed but then I realized that this will leave us several hours on Saturday afternoon to go to the parks.

So here's the big decision--should we go to Disneyland or Disney California Adventure? What says the wisdom of the Dis?

Disneyland is, well, DISNEYLAND! But it could be wicked crowded on a Saturday afternoon and we will have no fastpasses.

DCA will be less crowded and fastpasses will still be available. Do you think we could have a good time spending 3 or 4 hours at DCA? I was thinking about going to see Alladin. It might be nice to relax in some AC after being up at the crack of dawn to catch our flight.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:52 AM   #42
Desert Dwellers
Mouseketeer

On our last visit we stayed away from the parks on Saturday, it was July 4, so I can't say how bad a Saturday could be. But I didn't think the crowds were bad on Sunday.

My family really liked DCA. Along with Aladdin, Disney Animation is a great place to relax out of the sun. We really enjoyed the Animation Academy. The Muppet 4-D show is pretty fun as well. I think you could find a lot to do at DCA to fill four hours.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:24 PM   #43
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My family really liked DCA. Along with Aladdin, Disney Animation is a great place to relax out of the sun. We really enjoyed the Animation Academy. The Muppet 4-D show is pretty fun as well. I think you could find a lot to do at DCA to fill four hours.
Disney Animation is a great idea!
Old 07-25-2009, 01:23 AM   #44
yupikgal
DIS Veteran

Hawleys, we will be getting there on the 8th also, same time, 930a, but to the John Wayne airport, which (hopefully) should get us to our hotel by 1030? I'm just guessing. I haven't planned as far ahead as you have, I don't even know how we are getting to our hotel yet (Fairfield) maybe the Supershuttle? We haven't been to DL for 10 years, looking forward to it!!! We will probably also do DCA Saturday, since we've never been and the last time we were there it was just in the process of being built! Probably eat lunch there, I assume, since it will probably be that time of day by the time we get in. Any suggestions for places you've researched? I still have to buy our park passes! I'm waaaayyyy behind! I did buy our baseball (Angels) game tickets for an evening game for Monday the 10th! Yippeee!!

Old 07-25-2009, 10:57 AM   #45
Disneygal27
Mouseketeer

I just read your trip report, and it has me super excited for my first DLR trip (Aug 9-14 ) I think you'd have a great time at DCA for a few hours, even if you can't get on tons of headliner attractions, it seems like they have lots of little attractions to enjoy, plus just the fact that you're at the park.....

also, what did you end up getting your nephew for the pre-trip surprise? if he likes to draw, perhaps some sort of disney drawing kit would be an idea (not only for pre-trip excitement, but to keep him entertained on the plane, or during midday breaks). can't wait to hear how things turn out for you!
Disneygal27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: