Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2009, 04:58 PM   #16
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dwellers View Post
I lurked here for a long time too before ever posting. The sense of community on this board was a deciding factor to finally post. We're going in July, so I am also wary about the crowds, but I think it's doable with all the great tips and good planning.

Your nephew has pretty cool aunts!!
Thanks for edit Desert Dwellers! Now I have some pictures up, too.
Hawleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:30 PM   #17
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

Ridemax

I could go on rides all day and I work as a statistician so when I read about Ridemax I knew there was no way I was going to DL without it. Ridemax has caused a bit of tension with DW as she is more laid back in the planning department.

On our honeymoon, she instituted the “planned, unplanned time” rule which required that some part of each day of our honeymoon remain as free time. This compromise worked really well and we had an awesome trip.

DW is desperately afraid that Ridemax is going to plan every moment of our vacation. I think that the compromise will be to strictly follow Ridemax plans in the mornings so that we can collect many Fastpasses. Afternoons and evenings will be more freeform, using our Fastpasses and also using Ridemax to tell us which rides will have reasonable waits in the evenings.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-05-2009, 04:24 PM   #18
Desert Dwellers
Mouseketeer

Algorithms are cool! I love RideMax, esp. in summer. We pay so much to visit Disneyland, I want to make sure we are efficient in our touring. But I want to have fun, as well.

Just plug in those attractions that are absolutely must do. It will increase your enjoyment because your wait times are minimized. Schedule in large breaks during the day to allow for free time and exploration. RideMax can work, even with different vacation personalities.
Desert Dwellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:20 PM   #19
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dwellers View Post
Algorithms are cool! I love RideMax, esp. in summer. We pay so much to visit Disneyland, I want to make sure we are efficient in our touring. But I want to have fun, as well.

Just plug in those attractions that are absolutely must do. It will increase your enjoyment because your wait times are minimized. Schedule in large breaks during the day to allow for free time and exploration. RideMax can work, even with different vacation personalities.
Like you said, I think we can make Ridemax work with our different vacation personalities. I was showing DW how many rides we are going to get on using Ridemax and she was starting to get into it. Splash Mountain twice a day? We can do that!

I wrote to Disney Guest Communications a few days ago and they sent me a paper map of the parks. We had such a good time looking at the map and DW was asking about a bunch of rides that I didn't think she was interested in at all.

She is so pumped to go on Heimlich's Chew Chew Train! Now, I know this is a "kids" ride but have been dying to go on it and now DW has put it on the "must do" list as well. Such a good match.

Next up: PS at Blue Bayou...tomorrow is the first day we can try to get them. I will keep you all posted.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #20
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

Blue Bayou reservation

I called on Monday for a Blue Bayou reservation for August 9th. No dice until Tuesday. Tuesday was an all day event at work. I would be away from the house from 7am until 11pm. As I got on the train, I was thinking all kinds of anxious thoughts. What if I didn't get a chance to sneak away for a few minutes and make a call? What if by the time I called there were no reservations left?

I called at 10:25am and was put on hold...couldn't wait, too busy at work. Biting nails until lunch time when I can make another call. Finally get a CM who asks for name (Hawleys), date (Aug 9), lunch or dinner (lunch), time (11:30am), party size (3), adults (2), children(1), highchair (no) and boom...I've got a PS!

I told the DW this morning and she is very excited as this it the one restaurant that she really wanted to visit.

I think that all our reserved activities are set up. Now it is time to start my TO DO lists. Getting so excited.

Last edited by Hawleys; 06-10-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:50 PM   #21
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

Must Do Rides at Disneyland

Since I am a ride fanatic my first list will be must do rides.

Twice a day rides
Splash Mountain
Matterhorn

Once a day rides
Buzz Lightyear
Space Mountain
Big Thunder Mountain
Pirates
Haunted Mansion
Teacups (yes, Teacups!)

Once a visit rides
Jungle Cruise
Winnie the Pooh
IASWAA
Mr. Toad
Star Tours
Indy (I confess that I have only been on Indy once but I just didn't get it. Too much jerking and too many weird lights...I felt like I could never tell what was happening. But I will go on it again in August and maybe I will enjoy it more.)

New rides this visit
Roger Rabbit
Tiki Room
Peter Pan
Tom Sawyer's island (does this qualify as a ride?)
Disneyland Train

What other favorites am I missing?
Old 06-12-2009, 06:32 PM   #22
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

Must Do Activities For Our Nephew

Jedi Training Academy
Our nephew is a huge Star Wars fan. We will be making a sign and going back until he makes it onstage.

Animation Building at DCA
Did I mention the nephew is a bit of a geek (in a good way )? He loves to draw monsters and reads manga like mad. I hope he enjoys learning how to draw a Disney character.

Alladin
Being a geek in a good ways means acting in all the school plays and taking theater classes all summer so there is no way we are missing this show.

Matterhorn
Baedyn LOVED the Matterhorn on his last Disney visit at 6 years old. We will be riding it several times.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:53 AM   #23
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

Happy Dance

There is only one date posted in August for the Entertainment Book Rate at the Hojo and it just happens to be one of our nights. I got on the phone today and changed my reservation.

I think this is a sign that it's going to be a fantastic trip!
Old 06-17-2009, 03:46 PM   #24
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

Need Ideas for pre-trip get excited package

I've decided to sent my nephew a package with a few things to get him excited about one week before we leave. Nothing fancy, just little things to keep him entertained on his plane rides.

Baedyn will be in Seattle with his Gramma for 2 weeks before our trip and then she will fly down to San Francisco with him. They will spend a day visiting Gramma's side of the family and then we will take him on the plane to LA.

Here's what I'm thinking so far:

Gum
Skittles
Yes and Know Invisible Ink book
Spiderman Comic books
Disney stickers

It would be nice to have something Disney besides the stickers to put in. I was thinking about mouse ears but DW thought it would be fun to let Baedyn pick out his own ears and I agree.

Any suggestions on a small Disney-themed gift for an almost 10 year old boy?
Old 06-22-2009, 09:54 PM   #25
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

bags bags bags

I've been thinking about what I will need to take into the park with me and what size bag to carry it in.

Very small water bottle
Very small bottle of sunscreen
Allergy meds for the nephew
Emergency snacks
bandaids
sunglasses
minimal wallet (credit card, hotel key, id, cash)
chapstick
park hoppers and fastpasses
cell phone

Here's a photo of my new Disneyland bag! It's a Sherpani over the shoulder bag that I got at REI this weekend.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:04 AM   #26
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

I forgot the most important thing on my list...
PLANS!
Old 06-27-2009, 06:09 PM   #27
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

No AP pass

I had been talking to DW about upgrading to an AP pass while we were at DLR in August. It doesn't look like that is going to happen.

We just found out that DW will be getting an 8% pay cut. Thank you State of California. It was going to cost us about $600 to do a budget trip in October, including the cost of APs, flights and some super cheap accommodations. With the pay cut and our already scheduled relatively expensive trip in August there is just no way we can do it.

I'm so bummed. On the bright side, DW says that if our August trip goes well, she will do a three day weekend for Gay Days 2010. That's 16 months away...I can plan that.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:44 PM   #28
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

Orphaned thread?

Has my thread been orphaned? Are you out there reading? If you are, delurk and come on in. I'm friendly and I need some help from all the DIS mamas. My nephew is 9 almost 10 and I would love to send him a small Disney themed gift as part of his pre-trip care package. Any ideas?

Last edited by Hawleys; 06-29-2009 at 05:44 PM. Reason: because i can't spell
Old 06-29-2009, 06:03 PM   #29
Docter419
Your host, Ronnie Reagan!

Don't worry about waking up early on your vacation. Its a must for Disneyland!
Docter419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:58 PM   #30
Desert Dwellers
Mouseketeer

I've been off the boards for a little pre-vacation vacation trip. Living large at a resort pool for a few days. Our Target has Disney themed Pez dispensers. And the Dollar Spot at Target had all sorts of Disney items just last week. My 12 year old son suggests Pirates stuff.

Also, love your Disneyland bag. The color is great!
Desert Dwellers is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: