DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2009, 04:53 PM   #1
Jim Kosinski
Earning My Ears

Non disney resorts

How come there is so little discussion on non disney resort use of points
Jim Kosinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:20 PM   #2
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

Because many of DVC members bought to use their points at WDW. For most, trading out is not a good use of the points.

I don't know much about other timeshare programs, but from what I have read from DVC members on this board who do, there are other programs out there that are much better suited for travel outside WDW.

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-01-2009, 06:18 PM   #3
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

The use of points for non-DVC alternatives does come up frequently here, as well as inquiries about specific choices of resorts available for DVC points.

There are a number of very knowledgeable folks on the subject of non-DVC timeshares here. If you have a specific question, post it in a thread and I'm sure you'll get a lot of good input.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:43 PM   #4
oakmanner

DVC Member, Disney Cast Member, D23 Member, Disney Movie Club Member...

Because we LOVE Disney! If I were really interested in vacationing in destinations other than Disney I would have purchased an interest in a cheaper timeshare program.

1998- Dixie Landings, 2000- Dixie Landings, 2001- DLR, 2002- DLR, 2002- Port Orleans Riverside, 2003- Port Orleans Riverside, 2003- Pop Century, 2004- Pop Century,
2006- Pop Century, 2007- Port Orleans Riverside, 2008- Land & Sea; Beach Club & Disney Wonder, 2008- Saratoga Springs,
2009-Saratoga Springs, 2010- Animal Kingdom Villas
oakmanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:52 PM   #5
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Every booking you do outside of DVC resorts costs $95 plus a whole lot more points than the DVC villa would require.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:38 PM   #6
Disney_Villain

DVC member since 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakmanner View Post
Because we LOVE Disney! If I were really interested in vacationing in destinations other than Disney I would have purchased an interest in a cheaper timeshare program.
That goes for us as well!

I am sick "up to here" of hearing promos for ABD and the World Passport Collection. Asking us to give up our "Disney" vacations for super-priced (high points) non-Disney vacations does not sell well with us Disney nutcases.

Last edited by Disney_Villain; 06-01-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Disney_Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:02 AM   #7
Lisa P.
DIS Veteran

Some people who want to vacation in other timeshare locations have sought out information on them at general timeshare-oriented forums. There's lots of info available at TUG - Timeshare Users Group and at TS4Ms - Timeshare Forums.

No matter where you own, you'll often get the most "bang for your buck" by using it at your home resort and sister resorts within your timeshare system. So many here wisely use their DVC points for DVC vacations. But when you want something different, learn more about your options at a TS website. HTH!
Lisa P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:00 AM   #8
agottl2
Earning My Ears

This thread troubles me and make me unsure - I am STRONGLY considering DVC. This is all I have been talking about with my wife who is not sold on the idea of DVC or timeshares in general. We are from New York and I think there is a good chance that we'll get to disney every other year. On the off years, we had planned on using DVC to travel to other places which has been my selling point to my wife, because she does not want to do Disney every year. I think a timeshare is a great thing for my family because I have a newborn, 1 1/2 year old, and 3 year old and I don't want to be in a small hotel room while vacationing. I also insist on being on Disney property when I do visit Disney. Is DVC not for me?
agottl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:16 AM   #9
CMOORE185
HH 240 Points, SSR 260 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by agottl2 View Post
This thread troubles me and make me unsure - I am STRONGLY considering DVC. This is all I have been talking about with my wife who is not sold on the idea of DVC or timeshares in general. We are from New York and I think there is a good chance that we'll get to disney every other year. On the off years, we had planned on using DVC to travel to other places which has been my selling point to my wife, because she does not want to do Disney every year. I think a timeshare is a great thing for my family because I have a newborn, 1 1/2 year old, and 3 year old and I don't want to be in a small hotel room while vacationing. I also insist on being on Disney property when I do visit Disney. Is DVC not for me?
While we mainly use our points for DVC, we have used them for non DVC a few times and been very happy with it. We stayed at the Broadmoor at Colorado Springs and at Shutters on the Beach in Santa Monica. These were 5 star resorts and although not villas they were fantastic and well worth our points.
CMOORE185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:17 AM   #10
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
DVC is a very good value when used at the DVC properties, in the sense that if you want to stay in villa-style accommodations at WDW and DVC's other locations, ownership will cost you far less than paying cash for those same reservations.

Now, for trading out for timeshares outside of DVC....not such a good value at all. You can buy timeshares that are far, far, cheaper than DVC that will get you into those same locations, and you can buy timeshares that will let you trade into a better level of resort than DVC will.

Since you can bank and borrow with DVC, I'd recommend that you buy only enough points to cover your every-other-year DVC vacations. Then, investigate other timeshares on the resale market, and find one that suits your plans for your non-Disney vacations. I think you'll come out ahead financially, and in terms of flexibility.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:20 AM   #11
logan115
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If you're planning on going every other year, than just buy 1/2 as many points as you'll need for your average stay. For example, if you're stay would use 240 pts (rough average of 1 full week in a 1BR), you buy 120 points. Let's say you do that and plan on going next year. You bank your 2009 points, which gives you enough for your next trip in 2010 when you use your 2009 and 2010 points. In 2011, you want to go to Arizona (or anywhere non-Disney), you bank your 2011 points, and when you go back in 2012 you have 240 points to use (120 from 2011, 120 from 2012). Repeat this process for the next 40-50 years

Chris
logan115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:24 AM   #12
littlestar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne M View Post
DVC is a very good value when used at the DVC properties, in the sense that if you want to stay in villa-style accommodations at WDW and DVC's other locations, ownership will cost you far less than paying cash for those same reservations.

Now, for trading out for timeshares outside of DVC....not such a good value at all. You can buy timeshares that are far, far, cheaper than DVC that will get you into those same locations, and you can buy timeshares that will let you trade into a better level of resort than DVC will.

Since you can bank and borrow with DVC, I'd recommend that you buy only enough points to cover your every-other-year DVC vacations. Then, investigate other timeshares on the resale market, and find one that suits your plans for your non-Disney vacations. I think you'll come out ahead financially, and in terms of flexibility.
I agree completely with this post.

A good place to start investigating other systems to compliment DVC is the timeshare users group - tugbbs.com - every major brand/system is discussed on that board. We enjoy our DVC points and our EOY (every other year) Marriott timeshare bought resale. The two compliment each other quite nicely.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:06 PM   #13
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

We spent 160 points for a week in Cancun, and 160 points for a week (maybe it was 5 days for a 3BR-something like that) in Keystone-both were great. But even for every other year at WDW I would buy DVC no doubt.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:09 PM   #14
yekcoh_99
Mouseketeer

Lots of good stuff here thanks
yekcoh_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 03:46 PM   #15
vakamalua
DIS Veteran

Smile Imho

IMHO no one buys a timeshare (Disney or otherwise) for it's "good value." It is usually an emotional decision because you fall in love with a resort (or WDW). We have been in DVC since 1995 and have enjoyed it immensely without regard to whether something was, in others' opinion, "a good use of points."

We travel when and for how long fits our schedule and inclination, sometimes with friends or family, and have used our points in a variety of ways including many, many trips to a number of different DVC properties at WDW, DVC at HHI and VB, WDW concierge-level hotel stays, Disneyland California, 3 Disney Cruises, Tokyo Disney and the concierge collection. We are probably going to use DVC points for China with AbD next year. We also greatly enjoy traveling on non-DVC trips.

I say, relax and use your points to EXPLORE, HAVE FUN and MAKE MEMORIES no matter where you use them!
vakamalua is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: