Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2009, 11:47 AM   #31
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

A Stroll around Pop Century Resort....

Okay.... My DH got his stitches out yesterday and DS is feeling better and back to school today. So now I can sit down and take another stroll around Pop Century, but this time with you.

When I left off, we had just finished touring Animal Kingdom and decided to head back to the hotel for a swim. We had nothing else planned for this night. So we decided to take a swim, have some supper and then hang out around the resort. Here are a few pics arriving back at the hotel, and taking the long walk back to our room. (it wasn't too bad we just had to cut across the parking lot and walk up the stairs.) We were on the very top floor. You will see later why this was a good thing. Anyways here's the pics....

Our room was right by the rubix cube as you rounded the corner. Oh--80's section. Here are a few pics of inside the room.....

After changing into our swimsuits we headed for the pool. I got out to take a few pics of the computer pool...

After the boys got cooled off we decided to head back to the food court for something to eat. I got the Greek Salad, which I loved!!! It was very yummy!! DH got Chicken Alfredo, he loved this last year. But this year he said it was just okay--cold again but I guess that's to be expected when you have to get your food and then wait in line to pay for it. Then find a table etc., etc. I can't really remember what the boys got--probably chicken tenders, grapes, and a cookie? We really liked the convenience of the quick-service plan this time but the only thing we didn't really like was the selection that the boys had to choose from. I don't think they have ever ate so many carrots and grapes in their lives.
After dinner, we decided to take a stroll around the resort.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh172/angies1274/100_0721.jpg

To be continued on next post........

Last edited by Angies1274; 06-16-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:07 PM   #32
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

A Stroll around Pop Century Resort--PT.2

Oh I forgot to mention before that I had the Tie Dye Cheesecake for dessert. I love it!! It's so rich but really yummy!!! It was great that we took this walk around the resort. I am definitely not used to dessert at every meal. Although it was a nice treat at the time--I'm still trying to work that extra dessert off.
Some more pictures...

The boys loved this area!! I think it was in the 70's section? Correct me if I'm wrong. Anyways, we are hoping it was, because it's where we have requested to stay in August.
Playing on the Playground.......

Here are some extra pictures I found that I think the boys must have took sometime during the trip.

Later on that night.....this is what I meant when I said that it was a good thing that we were on the very top floor. We got to watch the fireworks every night from our room. I know they were far away and not like actually being in Epcot, but it was still pretty cool to us.

Next up----Magic Kingdom!!

Last edited by Angies1274; 06-16-2009 at 03:14 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-12-2009, 03:11 PM   #33
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

I just realized that I forgot to put a link up for my recent update.

I hope to get started on Magic Kingdom next week!!:cool1

Old 06-12-2009, 05:24 PM   #34
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

We stayed in the 80's section too! It was great to just cut across the parking lot to go right to the buses and main building.

To get to our room, we would go under the computer to the elevators to go up to the top floor.

I regretted not taking more pics of the resort, we didn't even walk around to see everything. Definately taking the time to do it this year.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:11 AM   #35
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_Mom View Post
We stayed in the 80's section too! It was great to just cut across the parking lot to go right to the buses and main building.

To get to our room, we would go under the computer to the elevators to go up to the top floor.

I regretted not taking more pics of the resort, we didn't even walk around to see everything. Definately taking the time to do it this year.
We have stayed in both the 80's and 90's section of the resort and we really like this area. It seems quieter and with cutting across the parking lot the walk isn't too bad. We have requested to stay in the 70's section in August because we have family staying with us and decided to stay in a preferred room this time to be even closer to the main hall.

We didn't get a chance on our first visit to take too many pictures either and this year although we got quite a few, there is still more I would like to take. On our first day during our trip in August, we're just going to hang around the resort. I noticed over on the Resorts board someone posted a Scavenger Hunt list. I thought it might be fun for the boys, so we'll see.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:28 PM   #36
mommytothreeboys
DIS Veteran

POP looks like so much fun! So much to look at!

With a family of 5, we've only ever stayed Moderate, but I'd love to try one of the values. Maybe someday if Jeff and I get to go on a 2nd honeymoon! (But them we may be tempted to stay Deluxe!)

Thanks for the great pictures!
Old 06-15-2009, 08:27 AM   #37
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytothreeboys View Post
POP looks like so much fun! So much to look at!

With a family of 5, we've only ever stayed Moderate, but I'd love to try one of the values. Maybe someday if Jeff and I get to go on a 2nd honeymoon! (But them we may be tempted to stay Deluxe!)

Thanks for the great pictures!
Pop is a lot of fun!! The boys really love it there!! We are hoping to talk them into staying at a Moderate next year. We'd love to stay at a Deluxe but I don't think the budget will allow, especially with two trips this year. Your pictures of POR look great. I may have to show DH.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:49 AM   #38
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Where dreams come true--a mini update:)

If you have been reading along, you know how anxious I have been to start my Magic Kingdom day. While I am in the process of gathering all my photos from this day, I thought I would share with all of you why I love Disney and especially Magic Kingdom so much. But also why despite loving something different about all the parks, to me our vacation never officially begins until I round the corner and catch a glimpse of the castle. It's the best feeling!! (I'm sure you all know what I mean....) It's definitely magical.

Last year was our very first visit to WDW. It was also the first time we had ever flown anywhere, DH included. I think growing up the farthest my family ventured was a three hour drive to visit relatives. Despite not ever going to WDW, I still developed a love for anything Disney. I remember grabbing some popcorn and sitting down with my parent's and brother to watch "Wonderful World of Disney" every weekend. I think I have collected every Disney movie over the years or at least tried to. I have even begun my own Disney Parks collection videos, as I have sent away for a new one every year for the last 10 years or so.... All with the hope of someday being able to get there.

So anyway, after dreaming, hoping, and planning-- in the summer of 2007, I finally convinced DH that if we didn't go now--that we never would. There would always be something holding us back but it was something we both knew we wanted to do for the boys. So we booked a package that very night and to seal the deal we purchased non-refundable plane tickets. There was no going back.......

Last year when we entered Magic Kingdom for the first time--It's hard to put into words what it meant. We were excited and amazed at all the sights and when we stood in front of the train station and watched the train pull in and got our first glimpse of Mickey Mouse, we both looked at each other and got it. It was exactly like we thought it would be but even better.

As you can imagine after all this, the thought of seeing the castle for the very first time in all my 34 years was beyond exciting. This was as we were just about to round the corner---

And finally my very first glimpse of the castle-- even with all the people in front of us--it brought a tear to my eye.

I knew at that moment, no matter what--we would find a way to come back.

So, fast-forward to almost exactly a year later and we were almost back to our very favorite place. Hmmmm.....Would this trip to Magic Kingdom be as wonderful as the first. You'll just have to wait and see........

One more picture......(I had fun playing around and just had to share)

to be continued......

Last edited by Angies1274; 06-16-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:11 PM   #39
mommytothreeboys
DIS Veteran

I totally get it! I hear people say they won't go because they don't like amusement parks or they don't want to stand in lines....it's just so much more than that. It's all about the feeling you get when you round the corner to see Cinderella Castle in the distance or hear the train whistle. It's seeing your kids enjoy being KIDS and embracing Mickey or Donald. It's the joy you get from the music of the afternoon parade or the smell of popcorn. I guess you either "get" it or you don't, but how sad if you don't! Great mini-update Angie!
Old 06-15-2009, 12:49 PM   #40
vassar36
Mouseketeer

Loving your trip report!!!

just found it this morning...

glad you had such a great time, can't wait for more.....

BLT March 2014
AKL/VWL June 2013 BWV/VWL Nov 2012 AKV March 2012 BCV June 2011
POFQ-March 2010 , VWL -March 2009 POP- April 2008 WL - July 2007 POP- May 2006 Contempary-1970-1980's FW- in the 1980's
Old 06-15-2009, 01:07 PM   #41
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. The first time we went (I've never seen them come out on the train by the way... that's awesome!) I cried like a baby seeing the castle.

OK..... so maybe everytime I've gone I cry like a baby seeing the castle, but to be fair, I never know when its going to be my last time. It's getting harder to handle the expense (winning lottery ticket anyone? ....anyone? <<crickets chirping>> ) but until then
Old 06-15-2009, 08:56 PM   #42
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytothreeboys View Post
I totally get it! I hear people say they won't go because they don't like amusement parks or they don't want to stand in lines....it's just so much more than that. It's all about the feeling you get when you round the corner to see Cinderella Castle in the distance or hear the train whistle. It's seeing your kids enjoy being KIDS and embracing Mickey or Donald. It's the joy you get from the music of the afternoon parade or the smell of popcorn. I guess you either "get" it or you don't, but how sad if you don't! Great mini-update Angie!
I know...it's so sad if you don't "get" it. A few years ago, my boss at the time had decided to take her daughter to WDW. She didn't plan anything and just went. I hadn't discovered the Disboards yet or I would have at least tried to help her. Anyways she came back and all she did was complain...it was too hot, too crowded, not worth the money etc, etc... I listened to her but being so in love with everything Disney, I just smiled but didn't say anything. Our trip was magical because we "got" it.... Just seeing my boys faces light up when they saw Goofy (their favorite) for the very first time or watching them brave BTMR (their first roller coaster) and love it!! There are so many reasons we love it!! I could go on all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vassar36 View Post
Loving your trip report!!!

just found it this morning...

glad you had such a great time, can't wait for more.....
I am so glad you stopped by!!! We did have a great trip!! So many great memories, and to think I spent so many months worrying about crowds, touring plans, etc... It was definitely worth it though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_Mom View Post
I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. The first time we went (I've never seen them come out on the train by the way... that's awesome!) I cried like a baby seeing the castle.

OK..... so maybe everytime I've gone I cry like a baby seeing the castle, but to be fair, I never know when its going to be my last time. It's getting harder to handle the expense (winning lottery ticket anyone? ....anyone? <<crickets chirping>> ) but until then
Isn't it an awesome feeling seeing the castle for the first time!! It seems more wonderful every time I see it. If that's possible? I know what you mean about the expenses. We are extremely fortunate to be able to take two trips this year. Ever since we came back last year from our first trip we have been trying to talk my parent's into coming with us. They finally agreed a week after we came back but my dad said if we were going to do it he wanted to do it this year as a surprise for my mom for their 35th wedding anniversary. So with a lot of planning and reorganizing we decided to head back in August. As of right now, we're not sure about next year's trip-- but we are hoping....... Hey, but the lottery idea sounds good to me. We can dream can't we!!!!

Old 06-16-2009, 02:57 PM   #43
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

I'm hoping to get another update up tomorrow afternoon. School is winding down for the boys. So it's getting pretty busy around here. Anyways, I noticed today when showing a friend my TR on her computer--(she has IE) that my pictures were all jumbled together. They are not like that on my computer...... or I would have fixed them sooner Sorry about that for anyone who was viewing them that way. It should be much easier now.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:50 PM   #44
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

It's a beautiful day!!! MK Day-Part 1

I'm so excited to be doing this update!!As you already know, I don't feel our vacation officially begins until Magic Kingdom. Everything about this park is so magical--the sights,the sounds, the smells and especially the look on my boys faces when they see their favorite character or ride their favorite ride. It's just awesome. Last year, was wonderful but we didn't get to experience a parade or even fireworks. So we were very anxious for this day to begin, we had many firsts that we wanted to accomplish. So let's begin...

Saturday, April 18th--Sometime around 5:30am I rolled out of bed, I was filled with lots of nervous anticipation. Even though everyone else was sleeping, I stumbled around in the dark, trying to gather all the days essentials--sunscreen-check, camera--check and so on and so on. It was basically just to keep me busy until everyone woke up. We wanted to get an early start because we were attempting our first EMH and on a Saturday, during Easter. Now everything I have read says to avoid EMH and especially on a Saturday, but we had good reason!!! (honest) The day before Magic Kingdom had EMH both for the morning and night, so we thought it would be much busier then. We were hoping that everyone was up really late at MK the night before and we would have the parks to ourselves. Okay, maybe not to ourselves but it would work. (or at least we were hoping it would.) You'll see.. Okay enough was enough, I was too excited and couldn't wait any longer I started moving things around rather loudly I might add, and then finally even switching on the TV to get their attention. They finally poked their heads up all groggy-like but after reminding them it was Magic Kingdom day!! They jumped out of bed--okay maybe not jumped but they started moving a little faster anyway.

Now, last year I didn't really know too much about photopass and although this year we didn't use it as much as I would have liked. I knew that I wanted a picture of all of us in front of the castle. I even purchased semi-matching shirts for this day.So I carefully handed the shirts out to the boys and reminded them to try and be careful at least until after the picture was taken. My plan was to have it taken when we first arrived at MK and I was pretty confident it would be fine.....
I should have known better..........

We were making extremely good time. We got to the food court around 6:30am. It might have been even a little earlier. I do remember that nothing was open yet, so we went over to grab some muffins for everyone and a fruit bowl to share and drinks for the boys. We stopped to grab some coffee and were off to find a seat. It was extremely quiet-- I took one bite of my muffin and looked up to see chocolate milk spill everywhere, the table, the chair but mostly all over my DS9 and his new shirt!! You remember the one for the pictures..... of course I knew it was just an accident--apparently he went to reach for some fruit and hit this milk by mistake. So we quickly grabbed our food and headed back to the room--where he changed into new clothes and I spent the next half hour scrubbing his shirt clean and blow drying it. Luckily it was his shorts that got the worse of it.

So finally at around 7:25am, we boarded the bus to Magic Kingdom, here's a picture of DH and the boys on the bus-

And in no time at all, we were pulling up to Magic Kingdom and making our way to the front gates--

We still had a few minutes before opening so the boys grabbed a hula-hoop and started playing--

Since it was an EMH there was no opening show on the train (we really missed that.) But, Mickey still came out and we did the countdown to the opening of the park. .......5,4,3,2,1--"Welcome to the Magic Kingdom Park" and that's all we heard as we started racing forward with the crowd to get inside. I'm sorry I don't have more pictures as we were walking toward the castle this time (by the way it had the same affect on me as last year) I decided to video this part instead but here's a few of the castle up close---We finally made it back!!!!

Here is the photopass picture that we got. (In all of our other pics, DS9 was looking away--he still did a little bit in this one but it's better than the others)

We decided that our first ride was going to be Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin. The boys love this ride and have a great time competing with each other to get the higher score. I actually think DH ended up with the highest--the boys were not happy. Mine was pretty pathetic so we'll go on... Here's some pictures from Tommorrowland-

After Buzz, we immediately headed up toward the castle to ride Winnie the Pooh--

As you can tell, I'm pretty far behind--but I was so busy taking pictures.
continued on next post.......

Last edited by Angies1274; 06-17-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:55 PM   #45
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

It's a beautiful day--continued

I ended up taking videos inside the ride, since no flash pictures are allowed (very understandable) Our next ride was Peter Pan's Flight we heard it got busy very quickly and thought we better ride it as soon as we could. It was our first time riding it and DS6 loved it. He was pointing at everything we saw. He had a great time!!!
We figured that we might as well hit IASW while we were right there. It was another first for us this year. (you are probably asking yourself..hmmm..what did they ride last year.) Despite having the song in my head for the rest of the day...just kidding, I couldn't resist. It was fun and relaxing ride. The boys liked it--the only thing that would have made it a little better is if we hadn't had some older kids sitting behind us, going on about how it was so boring...... oh well--we enjoyed it!! Some pictures....

By this time it was getting very close to nine o'clock so we decided to hang out near the entrance of Liberty Square so we could work our way over to BTMR when the rope dropped. At nine o'clock exactly the rope did drop and all I can say is WOW! Now I have ran for fastpasses before for Soarin', etc when the park first opens but never headed to ride after an EMH. People seemed to come from every direction all running to one place--Frontierland!! We grabbed the boys hands and followed the mass of people. I have to say, I breathed a sigh of relief when we actually made it there. Here are some pictures before we got on the ride--(taken with boys camera-I was videotaping again!!)

After the ride finished we grabbed some fastpasses to ride again later and hopped on the train to Toontown--

Once we arrived, we stopped to ride Goofy's Barnstormer--a couple times and then headed out to Mad Tea Party--
Some pics of Goofy's--

When I rode Mad Tea Party last year, it made me extremely dizzy so I decided to opt out this time--it did give me a great opportunity to take a lot of pictures!!!

The boys decided they wanted to ride the Tomorrowland Speedway, but I wasn't too sure. Let's just say that they both had a hard time keeping it straight and both DH and I agreed that we had spent more time being jerked back and forth than anything else. That's probably why they loved it so much!!!! Here's some pics-

We were almost able to use our fastpass for BTMR but we thought we would explore Mickey and Minnie's house first before we took the train back over to Frontierland.

Okay, so by this time it's probably only around 10:30 or so-- I think we have gotten a lot accomplished. We decide to take the train and head back to ride BTMR, stopping quickly to grab a fastpass for Splash Mountain on the way. We get in line for BTMR, excited to ride again and it takes off. The boys are screaming and have a great time, we start going up the hill and all of sudden the ride stops. I couldn't believe it--we were stuck and going up a hill--double
How long would it take before the ride started again? Would we ever get to ride Splash Mountain?? To be continued.............

Last edited by Angies1274; 06-17-2009 at 03:46 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: