Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
jsrj21
Frathouse

Just for Fun - Orlando Magic to the NBA FInals!

I will preface this by saying that I am a NY Knick fan and really down on the NBA as the players are spoiled brats. However, I just had to post this because I remember Pete "discussing" the whole new Orlando Magic Arena idea and then they go and beat the Cleveland Cavaliers to go to the NBA Finals against the LA Lakers. I watched the game yesterday and thought of him when the Orlando Magic won. Again, my allegiance is to my horrible New York Knicks so this is no knock; just fun!

Have a great Sunday everyone!

Joe
jsrj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
wdwfreeksince88
Only An Hour From The House Of Mouse

There is that dead horse again lets beat it some more
Old 05-31-2009, 04:33 PM   #3
schoen
DIS Veteran

Not so much a dead horse... They have never BEEN to the finals before! I think it is pretty exciting. They had to beat a pretty tough team. I will be cheering for them for sure!!!! Yay Magic!!! it is so fun to rally behind a team, even for fair weathered fans! This will be fun for Orando! I know, because it was great for detroit a few years ago!
schoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:43 PM   #4
ADP
I'm a huggin' foolWon't some sweet mama come and take a chance with me

Let me first say I think the NBA is a bad product to begin with. I would love to see the Magic win the championship only because I'm sick and tired of the same NBA teams winning the championship year after year. Case in point...This is the Lakers 30th trip to the NBA Finals.

I think the league and NBA cities have bigger "fish to fry" than worrying about new arenas. They need to worry about saving certain franchises.

I think the real question about the NBA Finals should be which Disney city is going to triumph?
Orlando - Walt Disney World or Los Angelas - Disneyland
Maybe we should start a poll.
ADP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
Chairman Clench
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoen View Post
They have never BEEN to the finals before! I think it is pretty exciting.
Nope, in 95 they made the Finals, but were swept by the Houston Rockets. Remember at the Disney MGM Studios they had goggles up on the Earful Tower that were in honor of starting Power Forward Horace Grant.

This year's team is a lot better than the 95 edition though and should be a lot more competitive. It's going to be tough to win, but I'm going to do everything in my power to make it to one of the possible 3 home games during this series. This is one of the biggest non theme park related events to hit the city in its history. Hopefully Dwight and the boys can pull through!

It will be very interesting to see if the Disney marketing people take full advantage of this. You've got LA (Disneyland) vs. Orlando (WDW) playing in the NBA Finals on ABC (Disney). If the marketing folks are worth anything, they will find a way to really push the parks here. This is a huge marketing opportunity.
Chairman Clench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:41 PM   #6
kafitty
yep, that almost sent snot flying out of my nose

BEAT L.A.! BEAT L.A.! BEAT L.A.! (Yes...jaded Boston fan here!)

it is pretty funny, that Pete goes on a rant that nobody cares about the Magic, and then they end up garnering all this attention by actually being good.

"I believe in naps."
kafitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:25 AM   #7
challer
Hey EPCOT! Fix the jumping fountains already!!!

No matter what happens in NBA Finals, Disney Wins.

LA (Disneyland) vs. Orlando (WDW)
Games on ABC & ESPN (Disney owned networks)
Old 06-02-2009, 01:04 AM   #8
Chairman Clench
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafitty View Post
it is pretty funny, that Pete goes on a rant that nobody cares about the Magic, and then they end up garnering all this attention by actually being good.
Good article with a similar theme from ESPN today:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...1&sportCat=nba

Whenever I tell people I live in Orlando, Fla., they usually assume Mickey Mouse and Goofy are my neighbors and everyone here walks around eating funnel cakes without shoes.

That's everyone's impression of Orlando. It's a Mickey Mouse town -- literally. No soul or identity of its own. Just a bunch of country folks and Northeasterners and Midwesterners that never left because they got great suntans and great deals at the seven billion outlet malls here.

But now, Orlando has a chance to change perceptions. The Magic's surprise appearance in the NBA Finals is giving this city the rare opportunity to create a stronger sports identity.

This town doesn't get any respect as a credible sports city because it's a one-team town and most people are under the impression that any real sports town should have more than just one professional sport.

That's fair. I was sports spoiled before moving here four years ago, and I admit the most difficult adjustment was living in a city with one professional option. Also, seeing bugs the size of Cadillac Escalades.

But the Magic's playoff run exposed that there's a strong sports heartbeat here -- one that doesn't just palpitate for the Florida Gators, Miami Dolphins and Tampa Bay Bucs. After the Magic clinched their spot in the Finals, the fans made ***** of themselves, flooding the streets and drunkenly climbing light posts in downtown Orlando.

Considering how irrelevant the Magic were when I got here, it was a welcome sight.

Just as the Magic have grown up in the playoffs, so has its fan base. Before, if you went to Magic games, it wasn't uncommon to see more fans wearing jerseys from the opposing team than the Magic players.

Give credit to Dwight Howard because he's helped change a lot of that. Now the hottest item in town might be a Superman cape.

There's no reason Orlando can't become a Green Bay or San Antonio, a city that attains sports legitimacy off the strength of its one professional team.

I'm not saying the Magic will ever have a legacy equal to the Packers, but if you think about what the franchise has accomplished after just 20 years of existence, sports legitimacy for this city is more than attainable.

The Magic almost achieved it 15 years ago. They last appeared in the Finals in 1995, and if Shaq had stayed, they would have been a fixture on the sports map. Howard is picking up where Shaq left off, only this time he could deliver the string of championships that the original Superman never did.

That's not such a crazy idea when you consider Howard's youth, and that he's a big man in a league that has very few. But Orlando's biggest issue is fighting the perception that since Shaq left, it's a small-time place that can't accomplish anything big -- including maintaining the interest of a star of Howard's caliber. Kobe Bryant's reputation is on the line in the NBA Finals, but so is Orlando's. I'm sure as the Finals progress, the national pundits and columnists will unfavorably compare Orlando to Los Angeles. I enjoy living here, but even I know International Drive and Rodeo Drive are as far apart as chainsaws and butter knives.

But as much as Shaq dogged the city when he left, he still has a home here and has expressed interest in one day owning the team. Tiger Woods lives here, too, and you've got to trust the judgment of someone who has won as much as Woods. This place grows on you. Stay here long enough and eventually you begin to think, "Hey, I'm really digging the fact that it's been 104 degrees and 2,000 percent humidity for 75 consecutive days."

Will Orlando ever have the sports cachet of Boston or New York? No. But it can be known for something other than being the hometown of a famous mouse.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:56 AM   #9
Disney Anna
DIS Veteran

Lakers and Disneyland RULE!!!!
Disneyland: Entire life; too many visits to count; Premium AP holder since 95. All-Star Music: Sept/Oct. 1999 (Whole Family).Wilderness Lodge: May 2000 (with Sis and her pals).Wilderness Lodge: Sept. 2001 (w/Sis, niece and nephew).All-Star Music: Sept. 2003 (Sisters trip).Wilderness Lodge: May 2004 (40th B/D extravaganza).Port Orleans Riverside: May 2006 (Sisters trip).Saratoga Springs/PO R-side: Nov 2006 (Aunt, Uncle). Pop Century: March 2007 (Spring Training trip). Port Orleans Riverside: January 2008 (unexpected solo trip). Port Orleans Riverside: Sept 2008 (sis), May 2009 (DH) Jan 2010 (solo). Pop Century Dec 2011 (DIS Harry Potter)
[IMG]http://www.*******************/bawb.jpg[/IMG]"]
Disney Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:13 AM   #10
Chairman Clench
Earning My Ears

http://thedisneyblog.com/2009/06/03/...-nba-playoffs/

I knew Disney wouldn't pass this great opportunity. Hopefully they'll also work this angle in the pregame show tomorrow night. This is fantastic marketing for the resorts.

Can't wait to see the Castle in Blue and Silver in a few days!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: