Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2009, 12:42 PM   #1
GrumpyUK
Mouseketeer

That was then, this is now. AKA If you can remember the Disney, you weren't there!

Who we be.

Me - Grumpy - dashingly attractive, debonair, witty (deluded)
He - Dopey - even tempered, patient…

I am an infrequent poster but a frequent lurker on these boards. I’ve been to see a Dr but apparently there’s not much that can be done for lurkiness. At least it doesn’t make you short sighted or give you hairy palms (then why, oh why, do I wear super-prescription spectacles and have to shave my hands three times a day? Answers on a postcard please).

This is somewhat odd post as it considers both our last vacation (ooh, getting with the natives already! Pass me the molasses. Are there any grits left?) and our upcoming trip.

Let me take you back to 2008. I’m going to count back from 100 to 1. 100, 99, 98...you are getting sleepy (believe me, you will), 97, 96. Cue wibbly-wobbly screen effect used on TV to show a flashback.

In 2008 I became super busy at work. So much so that I had give up my gym membership as I was never getting there. Signed up with the work gym instead but how often does that work? Spare half hour here and there? Cue hollow laughter. (Trust me this is relevant). Anyway we booked to spend 4 nights in New York and then 14 nights in WDW. It was our first time spending Christmas in the World and we had many plans. About a month before we left we saw a great deal for this year and booked to stay at the French Quarter (for the 1st time) with free dining. We leave on Thursday 17th September (3 more sleeps).

About a month before we left I noticed that my back had started to ache. Just thought that I was getting older and had been sitting awkwardly. Oh, if only I knew then what I know now!. 3 days before we were due to fly I woke in extreme pain. Went into work, bent double and having great trouble concentrating. It’ll pass I merrily thought. Next day, exactly the same. One day to go and I decide that I really should visit a Dr. See a nice locum who says that I there is a problem with one of the discs in my back. However, she says it’s fine to travel and writes a prescription for some very pretty pills. I pop to the chemist and pick up prescription and then, apparently, go to work. Did you notice the word ‘apparently’ then? Wow, the pills were strong. I went it, wrote a very complicated report and then went home and waited for Dopey to get home. We then got a cab to Heathrow and booked into a hotel overnight. The ’apparently’ was used as I have absolutely no memory of this. (Really strong pills!)

We fly off to the Big Apple and get a bus from the airport to out hotel. We stayed at the Hotel Metro as recommend by ArielJasmine, and it was super. Loved it. We were allocated a disabled room: on reflection this may have been because of my strange way of walking. Every third step my knee would give way and I’d swoop towards the pavement. I know that for my birthday treat we went to see Patti Lupone in Gypsy, which was wonderful. Unfortunately I have practically no other memory of our NY trip. Dopey will say to me, “remember when…”. With his help things do come back to me, but independently...nothing/nada/niente/nix/nulla (you get the idea).

Sadly this continued in WDW. I am aware (‘cos Dopey has told me) that we saw, and spoke to, Jules and Ian on a bus, and that they were lovely, but everything is very fuzzy. I send my abject apologies to them. I must have seemed bizarre in the extreme. Babbling incoherently and dribbling (them, not me!). This past Saturday we got the video camera out ready for this years trip. In the camera was the DVD of Christmas day. Oh, that‘s what we did! I remember that we had a terrible meal at LTT (which we usually like) and that we ended going back to the hotel in the early afternoon as I had to have a nap, and woke to watch the Incredibles on TV. I also remember being in the Animal Kingdom on one of the days after Christmas and it being hugely busy.

Back in the UK I toddle back to the Dr, who points out that when I am standing still my lower back is moving independently and sends me along to the pysiotherapist. I see a lovely lady 3 times a week for the next 4 months and all is well-ish now. For those of you who read all the trip reports look at Kev and Tammy Stringers European Cruise. I had the same problem in my back as Tammy had in her neck. Effectively the spongy bit in the discs of my lower back was leaking out and pressing against the nerves in my spine. This accounts for the pain and for the leg problems. I couldn’t walk more that half a mile without stopping. I’m pleased to say that I’ve just got back from the gym (oh yes, I make time for it now) and today I ran 7 miles (at 9.5kmph) without stopping.

So last years holiday was odd. Looking at the videos and talking to Dopey we had a great time..just wish I could remember it! And now we move onward.

So this Thursday (3 more sleeps) we fly to WDW! And BOY am I looking forward to this holiday! On Wednesday a friend drives us to Gatwick where we will use twilight check in, then book into our hotel just a short journey from the airport. Thursday we will mooch around the airport for a bit (I enjoy a good mooch. They seem to have gone out of fashion, which I think is a shame. Go on, treat yourself, have one now. No-one will see and I promise I won’t tell). Our flight leaves at 1 o’clock. Sitting in the plane seat for many hours will be a challenge but I’m confident that I will rise to it. Our plans are a lot more fluid this time. The only things we have booked are our meals (Le Cellier for the first time!) but otherwise we will just go with the flow. We’re looking forward to staying at the French Quarter, which looks beautiful. Having read the food reports posted by Poohs_Honey_Pot and marvelled at how those guys EAT (hats off), I shall be taking a leaf out of their book and using the running circuit at the resort. Take my word, there will be some major relaxing going on, on this vacation.

Thanks to all those who post reports or reply’s to various questions.

I believe that I now must complete a single digit dance!

Maybe Dopey can fill in the blanks
GrumpyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:10 PM   #2
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

Have a great trip Grumpy. Hopefully you'll come back with a few more memories of this one.

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
wickesy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-14-2009, 01:24 PM   #3
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

have a great time

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:27 PM   #4
SusanEllen
DIS Veteran

Hooray! Hooray! A cloudy day in Oklahoma just brightened when I read your report.

First, so glad you've made such a complete recovery (7 mile run must mean pain free).

Second, happy that someone is going to WDW in a matter of hours.

Third, you write such entertaining reports, I'm already looking forward to what you'll write for us about this trip. We'd like photos this time, please.

Have enough fun for all of us who are stuck at home.

PS What's wrong with grits? I hope that reference wasn't supposed to be defamatory because I'm one of those natives, Sugar.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:01 PM   #5
saratogagirl
I need books, and wine and Ian in order to survive
I couldnt wipe bottoms of strangers
I am strangely refreshed this morning ... and I am off to the butchers soon

It was lovely to meet you, I remember you getting on the bus and noticing that you seemed to be in a lot of pain, I believe your words were "Jules, it is Jules isn't it, you dont know who I am do you", to which I had a blank moment and then realisation hit and I replied "Dah Do Ron Ron, you must be Ron", it was so lovely to meet you, I believe we were on our way to Planet Hollywood whilst you were heading home to the All Stars, it was a real treat, I commented lots during the holiday about your amazing voice, you have a lovely voice. Dribbling, whats this about dribbling, I believe I had been to the margarita bar, but surely there was no dribble !!
Old 09-14-2009, 02:04 PM   #6
saratogagirl
I need books, and wine and Ian in order to survive
I couldnt wipe bottoms of strangers
I am strangely refreshed this morning ... and I am off to the butchers soon

also wanted to add that I am really pleased you are feeling better x
Old 09-14-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
howlongtillsummer?
DIS Veteran

Lovely writing! Looking forward to reading more
Disneyland Paris (Sequoia Lodge) - April 2009
Old Key West August 2010, 2011 & 2012
howlongtillsummer? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:13 AM   #8
Pegasus928
DIS Veteran

Hope you have a great, memorable, pain free (though if you plan on going round a running circuit while on holiday you must be a sucker for punishment) holiday.
Looking forward to reading about it when you return.
Pegasus928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:55 AM   #9
Kevin Stringer
Chat Host
Oddly concerned about an elephant living in his pyjamas
The TF would like to see Kevin’s rendition of 'Great balls of fire'

Have a wonderful time Grump.

You know, I always had you down as a moocher.

Kev
Kevin Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:06 AM   #10
GrumpyUK
Mouseketeer

Thanks for your comments.

Susan, I have to confess that I'm really not sure what grits are. I couldn't 'dis' them (as the young people seem to be saying) without truly knowing them!

Jules, forgive me, I didn't mean you were dribbling. I do remember that you were drooling though! My voice?! Please tell me that I didn't sing at you. I mean, the lighting demands I would make, not to mention the full orchestra, the costumes and the sets. They couldn't possibly have all squeezed on a Disney bus. Could they?

Kev, I have you down as a lurker. I've read all sorts of comments about you (mainly in the form of grafitti admitedly).

All, I am much better thogh stil have to take care. A couple of set backs this year but at the moment (cross all pertinent parts) I'm good.

2 sleeps!
GrumpyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:24 AM   #11
Jets fan
DIS Veteran

Hope you have a brilliant holiday

Tina
Jets fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:49 PM   #12
jtlover
DIS Veteran

Hope you both have a good holiday.

Cant wait for the trip report
Old 09-15-2009, 04:56 PM   #13
carolfoy
One has Ones hat and One's orf...
and she's back with a vengeance!
looks like someones reads the crap we write then!

ah Ronnie Ron, as with you I am also an infrequent poster these days, life eh? but was happy to log on and see a trippie by a great wit such as yourself, hope the trip brings you, as well as Dopey, some magical memories, enjoy POFQ, I know I did, and I will lurk and mooch on a more frequent basis to hopefully catch more of your trippie.
so glad you're feeling better
take care xx
Old 09-16-2009, 07:39 AM   #14
Tammy Stringer
I love babies - all milky and baby powdery
Do you knit, Barbara?
Up for the marquee option

Hooray another Grumpy trip report

Sorry to hear about your back problems - I do sympathise - whilst my neck problems seemed to have been getting better - too many heavy rucksacks at too many music festivals this year seem to have aggrevated my problem again and I am now suffering with numbness and pins and needles in my arms more than ever. So please take this as a warning and make sure Dopey carries all your cases and does all the heavy lifting.

Seriously though hope you have a wonderful holiday and can't wait to read all about your adventures.

Funnily enough Kev's nephew and girlfriend leave tomorrow for POFQ - their very first time at WDW. I love the atmosphere at POFQ and the boat to Downtown Disney is a real bonus.

Enjoy your meal at Le Cellier too - and don't forget to try the yummy cheddar cheese soup.

Have fun

Tammy
Tammy Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:50 AM   #15
VailaTigger
DIS Veteran

One more sleep!! Hope you have a fabulous time.

I empathise with those with back and neck problems, as I too have a "slipped disc" in my neck. Just be careful on some of those rides...
2010 - April, Pop Century, 2 weeks
2012 - September, Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2 weeks honeymoon
VailaTigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: