Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2009, 02:57 PM   #1
cherry-pops
Mouseketeer

Something Kinda Ooh! ~ Sept 2009 ~ Pre-Trip Report

[Cross-Posted to Main TR Board]

Hi Everyone! Welcome to my Pre-Trip Report.

I've been so nervous about writing this thread, I didn't know how I would start off! But, I'm just going to launch right into it and everything should just flow!

I'm Cheryl, I'm 24-years-old and I'm planning my sixth visit to Walt Disney World for September 2009. I will be joined by my boyfriend, James, also 24 - we have been together for 7 years this summer. We live together in Norfolk in the United Kingdom.

This is us last summer in the home team's changing room at the Arsenal Emirates Stadium in London:

Our trip is being funded by my generous parents. My dad is retiring this year and my mum has chosen to use some of his payout to treat me and James to a two week holiday to Florida.

James has never been before, infact he's only ever been on a plane once and that was when we went to Spain in 2003. He's a little nervous about the long flight, but I'm sure he'll be fine. I love flying and cannot really believe it's been six years since I last went on a holiday abroad!

As I mentioned before, this will be my sixth visit to WDW - I have been with my parents five times before in '94, '96, '98, 2000 and 2002. All were summer visits in May and June, apart from in 2002 when we spend the whole Christmas holiday there.

Here are some vintage WDW photos from my previous trips, I'm pictured as a young girl with my younger brother:

Now it's time for those all important details! The Where, When and How!

We're flying with Thomson Airways from East Midlands airport in the UK to Sanford, FL - our flight times are:
Leaving:
Depart East Midlands TUES-15-SEPT 13:00 BST
Arrive Sanford, FL TUES-15-SEPT 17:25 BST
Returning:
Depart Sanford, FL TUES-29-SEPT 19:15 BST
Arrive East Midlands WEDS-30-SEPT 08:35 BST

We're staying in the Staybridge Suites on International Drive. I've never stayed on I-Drive before, but visited many times for the shopping outlets. When I've been with my parents in the past we have always rented villas with private pools and rented a car. Although we did stay in apartments on our first trip in 1994, we stayed right next door to Old Town in Kissimee and have loved that place ever since.

We're not renting a car. I'm the only driver in our coupling and I've never driven internationally before, so the whole idea just makes me extremely nervous. I know that staying off Disney property and not renting a car is risky but it's our only option really because we didn't want to limit ourselves to Disney parks - we're planning to do everything while we're there. So, being on I-Drive it will feel like we're in the middle of everything! Our accommodation does lay on shuttle buses and I'm hoping that these are going to be reliable! I have researched the Lynx bus services as well as taxi prices, just in case!

That is all for Chapter One! I shall be back soon with some more updates!

Chapter Index
#01 Introduction
#02 Itinerary
#03 Coming Soon!

Last edited by cherry-pops; 06-08-2009 at 02:47 PM.
cherry-pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
gemmybear83
I would blame it all on Bob
Awww I love the first day
You could stay behind after your meal and have another drink

Some like a fantastic trip - and not long to go either

I am sure your boyfriend will love Florida - I've not heard of anyone who has been and has not liked it!
Register to remove

Old 05-31-2009, 04:33 PM   #3
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

Great start Cheryl, looking forward to reading more about your plans.

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
wickesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
suzycute
DIS Veteran

Sounds like you have a great trip organised! It will be fantastic to see WDW through the eyes of a newcomer! We will be there at the same time as you so look forward to see what you have planned!
Old 06-01-2009, 01:01 PM   #5
irongirlof12
Am I the only one who loves Quorn Sausages?
I would love to be at Ghiradelli's ice cream parlour with a massive choc sundae

how nice to fly from EMA. plans sound good
Old 06-01-2009, 03:21 PM   #6
jjk

Pete and I wait and watch some lovely baby lizards
I have always booked myself
"Play Up Pompey"

great start

2000 Disneyland paris 2003 Ramada inn 2004 Quality inn plaza2005 Cumbrian lakes2006 Emerald Island July and December2007 Emerald Island May and July2008 Emerald Island and Contemporary Resort2009 Saratoga Springs 2010 Animal Kingdom lodge2011HRH Animal KingdomLodge 2012Holiday inn Miami ocean front /Animal Kingdom lodge
jjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:10 AM   #7
jjpenguin
A penguin with mouse ears & wooden shoes?
I'm going to sulk!!

Looking forward to the rest of your planning and report. The Lynx buses are fine and are very cheap! I've used them quite a bit and they're reasonably on time. They're also phasing in new buses which are very nice. They also now stop at Downtown Disney which is handy.

Shuttles can be a bit restrictive so it's good to have other options.
July 1974 Offsite * Feb 1997 Offsite * Feb 1998 Offsite * Feb 1999 Offsite * Feb 2000 POFQ and Disney Wonder * March 2001 DLP Sequoia Lodge * Nov 2001 1st DVC trip VWL + OKW * March 2003 BWV + AKL Concierge * May 2004 HH + BCV for Star Wars Weekends * Nov 2004 OKW solo trip * Feb 2005 Disneyland * Sept 2005 DVC Member Cruise & Vero Beach * May 2006 Star Wars Weekends again, at BWV * Sept 2006 2nd Solo trip at ASMu and SSR * May 2007 Using up our AP at OKW - Pirates of the Caribbean Adventure on the 7 Seas Lagoon * Sept 2007 Very last minute quick fix solo trip at SSR! * Sept 2008 - DH and me at SSR

jjpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:14 PM   #8
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

love the title of your trippie and the vintage photos !

hope you both have a great time x

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:53 PM   #9
cherry-pops
Mouseketeer

Welcome everyone!

I'm so pleased I have some friends along for the planning ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzycute
We will be there at the same time as you so look forward to see what you have planned!
I have a rough itinerary, but everyday I think of something new. I'll post something soon so I'm kind of 'thinking out loud' with everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irongirlof12
how nice to fly from EMA.
I think this is very lucky! My parents live in the Midlands and we're staying with them on the day before we travel. My Dad is also taking us to the airport and picking us up when we get back......and paying for it too! lol. Poor ol' Dad! My Mum is making him do it! haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpenguin View Post
Looking forward to the rest of your planning and report. The Lynx buses are fine and are very cheap! I've used them quite a bit and they're reasonably on time. They're also phasing in new buses which are very nice. They also now stop at Downtown Disney which is handy.

Shuttles can be a bit restrictive so it's good to have other options.
Many thanks for this! The last thing I want to do is stress about transport. We have a savings tin that's just for extra transport and contingency, so we'll use taxi cabs if need be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalielongstaff
love the title of your trippie
I saw Girls Aloud in concert a few weeks ago. Gotta love 'em!

I'll write more soon; another Chapter tomorrow maybe.......

Old 06-03-2009, 06:10 AM   #10
Snowy-girls
Did you speak to a 'human being'?
As you can see, all I have is a load of gobble-de-gook writing

Great start Cheryl .Love the old pics+looking forward to reading more.My Hubby was a bit dubious when i suggested WDW for our belated Honeymoon in 2004,we went(yes i got my own way)+he LOVED it.x.

Sweet Kitty Dreams La-La,Smudge,Sam+Max.Together Again.11:3:94-20:5:08.x.x.29:4:93-17:3:09.x.x.29:4:93-21:7:10.x.x.11:3:94-2:3:12.x.x.

NOV90Sheraton Anaheim CaliforniaSEP93Quality Inn I-DriveSEP95Holiday Inn I-DriveSEP97Castle Inn+Suites AnaheimSEP98-Best Western AnaheimAUG03Quality Inn I-DriveApr/May04Holiday Inn I-DriveApr09Embassy Suites I-Drive SouthApr11Quality Inn Plaza+Pop.Aug13Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,CSR+AKL With Free QSDP.AUG15Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,RPR+21 nights at OKW With Free DDP.
Snowy-girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:44 PM   #11
cherry-pops
Mouseketeer

Chapter Two - Itinerary

I went shopping the other day and saw this t-shirt in Asda for £5! BARGAIN! I had to buy it for James - he's saving it for our holiday.

James and I were sat on our living room floor last night with some small pieces of paper and a chart trying to work out what things to do on which days. We came up with the following provisional itinerary' none of the extra ticketed events have been booked so this is all changeable.

Tuesday Sept 15
Day 0
- Fly Out

Wednesday Sept 16
Day 1
- Seaworld

Thursday Sept 17
Day 2
- Magic Kingdom

Friday Sept 18
Day 3
- Animal Kingdom

Saturday Sept 19
Day 4
- DisneyQuest, Downtown Disney, Shopping Outlets

Sunday Sept 20
Day 5
- Hot Air Balloon Ride, Typhoon Lagoon, Downtown Disney

Monday Sept 21
Day 6
- Universal Studios

Tuesday Sept 22
Day 7
-Blizzard Beach, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party

Wednesday Sept 23
Day 8
- EPCOT

Thursday Sept 24
Day 9
- Islands of Adventure, Universal Citywalk

Friday Sept 25
Day 10
- Disney's Hollywood Studios

Saturday Sept 26
Day 11
- Downtown Disney, Old Town Kissimee

Sunday Sept 27
Day 12
- Keys To The Kingdom Tour, Aquatica, Shopping Outlets

Monday Sept 28
Day 13
- Segway Experience @ EPCOT, Disney Park Hopping

Tuesday Sept 29
Day 14
- Fly Home

When it's written down like that it doesn't look like very much but I know we're going to have some really crazy days!

We tried to keep the big park days for weekdays incase it was busier on weekends.

Is there still things happening at Old Town in Kissimmee? It's been a few years since I last went! lol. I recall a classic car evening, is that Saturday night? Any info on Old Town is much appreciated because I love that place and want to have an evening strolling around there with James.

The only thing we're missing is Kennedy Space Center and because we're not driving that's the only thing with a huge question mark over how we'd go about getting there! I suppose we wouldn't know when the trips where until we got there and I want to have each day planned before we leave. I suppose some plans might change but a visit to Kennedy is a full day of your schedule which we'd find hard to spare when things start to get booked.

Last edited by cherry-pops; 06-08-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:12 PM   #12
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

There are a few sites where you can book Kennedy before you go:

All Orlando Tours

Gray Line

Viator

amongst others but to be honest I can't see where you would fit it in.

Keys To The Kingdom is great and we had great fun on the Segway Tour so I'm sure you will love them both.

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Old 09-13-2009, 05:46 AM   #13
cherry-pops
Mouseketeer

Two days to go and I finished the final plan yesterday! So many things have been changed and moved around in the time since I booked the trip. This is final and we're going to let weather and circumstance dictate the rest!

Tues Sept 15
- Fly out from East Midlands
- Check in to Staybridge Suites, I-Drive

Weds Sept 16
- Seaworld

Thurs Sept 17
- Animal Kingdom

Fri Sept 18
- Hollywood Studios
- Evening at Downtown Disney

Sat Sept 19
- Character Breakfast @ Cape May Cafe, Beach Club
- Morning at Downtown Disney
- Shopping at Prime Outlets

Sun Sept 20
- Typhoon Lagoon
- Hollywood Studios for Fantasmic

Mon Sept 21
- Magic Kingdom

Tues Sept 22
- Blizzard Beach
- Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party

Weds Sept 23
- Universal Studios

Thurs Sept 24
- Islands of Adventure

Fri Sept 25
- EPCOT

Sat Sept 26
- Aquatica
- Evening at Old Town, Kissiimee

Sun Sept 27
- Keys To The Kingdom tour, Magic Kingdom
- Shopping at Premium Outlets

Mon Sept 28
- Disney Park Hop day, catch up on missed shops & attractions

Tues Sept 29
- Fly back to East Midlands
[/COLOR]

Last edited by cherry-pops; 09-13-2009 at 05:53 AM.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:54 AM   #14
wickesy

Looks good Cheryl. Have a fantastic time!

Old 09-13-2009, 06:19 AM   #15
Pegasus928
DIS Veteran

I've just caught up with this PTR - sorry I missed it the first time around.

You have some great plans there and I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

I noticed your question regarding Old Town and can confirm that they do still do the Car and Bike nights on Thursday/Friday and Saturday.

You've probably found this site already but just in case....

http://www.old-town.com/
Pegasus928 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: