Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2009, 09:16 PM   #16
2shortpeopleruleme
Mouseketeer

I love the report and your family is beautiful! The funny thing what you wrote about driving vs flying I had already PM'd you about that before I read! Too funny! I can't wait to read more!
Nov '04 FW Cabins, Sept 9/09 SSR Villa, Dec 11-18/10 off site. 6/27-7/2/11 CSR Mommy and Daddy ONLY trip! 1/9-1/18/14 Bonnet Creek!
Old 06-03-2009, 09:16 PM   #17
jana616
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadee_29 View Post
I saw your link over in the Sept hours thread and decided to peek in while we are *still* waiting for official hours to be released. I am having the same problems you are trying to figure out where to eat. I haven't been in over 20 years and couldn't tell you what places I ate at that long ago. I am going to keep checking in to see how your plans are coming along.

P.S. Your boys are just adorable.
Hi and ! Thanks for the compliment! I know, this waiting is making us crazy, isn't it? I've decided to just assume the hours we've gotten are correct and plan off of that. For the week we'll be there they seem to make sense. I was kind of bummed to see DHS close at 7. That seems really early to me!

What restaurants have you narrowed down to? I keep adding, not finalizing! I think Whispering Canyon sounds so fun, I'm trying to figure out a way to get that in there. The only place we're going that I'm not super excited about is Cape May Clambake, and I'm wondering if we could do WCC that evening at 7 or so, and just be done with the park by 6? Is that do-able? That's later than I was hoping to do dinners, but even CMC is going to have to be later than I'd like since we'll have to be all done with the park when we go (since it will be closed when we're done eating). I'm not planning on a nap break that day to maximize our park time, so I'm not sure how the kids will do late in the evening. Could get ugly! Unfortunately there aren't any lunches we want that day. DHS has been hard for me!

2009 PTR! 100 Days til Our First Family Trip!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2190617
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-03-2009, 09:25 PM   #18
jana616
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2shortpeopleruleme View Post
I love the report and your family is beautiful! The funny thing what you wrote about driving vs flying I had already PM'd you about that before I read! Too funny! I can't wait to read more!
Thanks for stopping here and reading! Your post pushed me to two pages-woo hoo! I'm excited to find someone whose trip dates are exactly the same as ours, we're right on the same schedule!

I'd really like to discuss my park plans now that we have hours, kind of, and get all the opinions I can, but I am throwing my best friend a baby shower and if I don't get the invites in the mail no one will show up and she'll be pretty disappointed! So I'm off to work on those (thanks Disney, if you'd gotten the hours up on the 1st I'd be in a much better place!) so then I can get back to the all important Disney planning

Hopefully tomorrow I can get those on here. Thanks to everyone who has read and replied...I don't feel quite as much like the loser talking to herself here now!!!

Old 06-03-2009, 11:10 PM   #19
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Great Report and your boys are so cute!!! We have been to Chef Mickey's for both breakfast and dinner, although we preferred dinner. We enjoyed the characters and atmosphere at both meals. I tried to get an ADR for dinner for our upcoming trip but unfortunately there was no openings
We were however able to get an ADR at Ohana's for breakfast. We went there last year and loved it!!!! We found it much more relaxed than Chef Mickey's-- plus it's served family style instead of a buffet and the character interaction is great there as well.

Last edited by Angies1274; 06-03-2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:57 AM   #20
slamgtr09
Earning My Ears

Good luck with the shower invites! I'm throwing my sister a baby shower too, so I'll be doing invites soon enough!
I'll just be here waiting patiently until you get back on with your planning!
Old 06-04-2009, 02:54 PM   #21
jana616
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angies1274 View Post
Great Report and your boys are so cute!!! We have been to Chef Mickey's for both breakfast and dinner, although we preferred dinner. We enjoyed the characters and atmosphere at both meals. I tried to get an ADR for dinner for our upcoming trip but unfortunately there was no openings
We were however able to get an ADR at Ohana's for breakfast. We went there last year and loved it!!!! We found it much more relaxed than Chef Mickey's-- plus it's served family style instead of a buffet and the character interaction is great there as well.
Hi Angie, ! I know we'll be happy with any of the 6 character meal choices we've narrowed it down to, so instead of stressing over which 4, I'm going to just wait and see how open times and dates shake out when we make our ADRs. I'm glad to hear another positive for 'Ohana breakfast-I tell you what, more people recommended that one to me on here than any other character meal. What are they putting in those eggs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamgtr09 View Post
Good luck with the shower invites! I'm throwing my sister a baby shower too, so I'll be doing invites soon enough!
I'll just be here waiting patiently until you get back on with your planning!
Yeah, this is the first shower I've ever thrown. My BFF has a son who's 6, and is expecting a little girl in August. I convinced that with 6 years in between and a different gender, a shower was in order! I made the invites myself. I'm a scrapbooker, and I have a Cricut, which is an expensive die cut machine I convinced my DH I needed, so I have to justify owning it by doing things like this with it, but man some invites from Target would have been easier! They did come out cute, I hope, and luckily I only needed to make 10. If she'd had a bigger list they definitely would have been store bought!!!

I'm working on posting park plans now! Thanks for reading!

Last edited by jana616; 06-04-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:25 PM   #22
jana616
DIS Veteran

Park Plans-Options A and B!

Well, although the ridiculous Disney site still has no hours up, I am going off of the TA list posted yesterday. We make our ADRs on Tuesday, so I wanted a few days to get a real plan in order. C'mon Disney, what is the deal?!

I have two plans, and I think I am leaning toward Plan A, because it leaves a little more downtime and we would hopefully be at each park on less crowded days. Basically we avoid all EMH (except our last night at MK), and Fantasmic. But then I started playing to try and work in AK on its PM EMH night, since I think we'll want lots of time there. And when I do that, I end up with Epcot on its PM EMH night as well. See the problem? Walking right into crowds when I was doing my best to avoid them! I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE for all you smart, experienced WDW veterans to look these over and see what you think.

Plan A:

Monday, 9/7-arrive MCO at 1:08. DME to POP, drop off stuff, then off to MK. Spend a few hours touring the park at a relaxed pace, dinner at Crystal Palace (back-up 'Ohana, Chef Mickeys), stay at the park til we feel ready to leave-we may try to see Spectro at 9, but probably not Wishes-I thought maybe I'd break the two up?

Tuesday, 9/8-MK for rope drop (shouldn't be too hard, they were up at 6:30 this morning). Not sure yet whether we will take resort breaks or not, I'm going to really just see how the boys do. Cooper is still a solid 2 hour+ napper at home, but he naps fairly well in the stroller and with short park hours I hate to give up lots of park time in transit. Just going to play that part by ear! Dinner at 'Ohana (Crystal Palace back-up)

Weds, 9/9-DHS for rope drop, stay til we're done, with dinner at Cape May Clambake (back-up Mama Melrose, 50s Primetime).

Thursday, 9/10-Epcot, not quite as concerned with rope drop here. Le Cellier for lunch (Tutto back-up), I think.

Friday, 9/11-AK day. Hoping for 8 am Tusker House breakfast, but if not, then as late as possible. It closes at 5, so we're planning a nice resort evening with plenty of pool time. The grandmas have offered to watch the kids so Chad and I can go out alone-trying to decide between MNSSHP or Night of Joy, if I can get him to agree to spend the money!

Saturday, 9/12-The morning is open for whatever we want to do. I think we will probably head back to AK or Epcot, or maybe split up and some do each. Then after a break we're planning on DTD to explore and T-Rex for dinner. I am SOOO excited to surprise Griffin with this!

Sunday, 9/13-MK day. Breakfast at 'Ohana (maybe 9ish?), then MK and a nice long afternoon break before heading back for dinner at Chef Mickeys (back-up 1900 Park Fare), and evening EMH at MK. My mom wants to head back to the hotel to watch the Bears play, so I think she is going to take Cooper with her to get him to bed earlier. That way we can stay for as long as Griffin is having fun-probably until the end!

Monday, 9/14- departure day Leave POP around 8:30 for MCO.

So that's the plan I think we are going to go with!

Plan B (a short version!) is:
Monday-MK same as above
Tuesday-DHS
Weds.-AK (PM EMH)
Thurs.-MK (open til 10)
Friday-Epcot (PM EMH)
Sat.-open/DTD
Sunday-MK (PM EMH)

So, a lot more park hours available, but 3 EMH parks instead of just the one. I worry with this one that if we go with this and end up not using the EMH (a strong possibility), we will be wading through increased crowds all day and kicking ourselves. Thoughts?

Whew...kids are up from naps and screaming for me. Guess I should go be a mom or something!

Old 06-04-2009, 07:21 PM   #23
kadee_29
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jana616 View Post
Hi and ! Thanks for the compliment! I know, this waiting is making us crazy, isn't it? I've decided to just assume the hours we've gotten are correct and plan off of that. For the week we'll be there they seem to make sense. I was kind of bummed to see DHS close at 7. That seems really early to me!

What restaurants have you narrowed down to? I keep adding, not finalizing! I think Whispering Canyon sounds so fun, I'm trying to figure out a way to get that in there. The only place we're going that I'm not super excited about is Cape May Clambake, and I'm wondering if we could do WCC that evening at 7 or so, and just be done with the park by 6? Is that do-able? That's later than I was hoping to do dinners, but even CMC is going to have to be later than I'd like since we'll have to be all done with the park when we go (since it will be closed when we're done eating). I'm not planning on a nap break that day to maximize our park time, so I'm not sure how the kids will do late in the evening. Could get ugly! Unfortunately there aren't any lunches we want that day. DHS has been hard for me!
I was a little disappointed with the shortened hours as well. I just asked a friend of mine if we would be bored at night but she said if we are out all day (which I am thinking that is what we will do) then we should be pretty beat by 7 or 8 so some down time in the hotel room at night will get us ready for the next day. I am having some issues figuring out what day to go to which park which in turn leads to where on earth we are going to eat that day. We don't have any lunch plans either. All the ones I have picked out are either breakfast or dinner. And I don't have any back-ups picked out yet. So far the places I have picked out are 'Ohana, Garden Grill, Boma, Chef Mickey's, Hollywood & Vine, and Crystal Palace. But of course this all could change at any time between now and June 22nd.

September, 2009 AKL
Old 06-04-2009, 08:44 PM   #24
jana616
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I was a little disappointed with the shortened hours as well. I just asked a friend of mine if we would be bored at night but she said if we are out all day (which I am thinking that is what we will do) then we should be pretty beat by 7 or 8 so some down time in the hotel room at night will get us ready for the next day. I am having some issues figuring out what day to go to which park which in turn leads to where on earth we are going to eat that day. We don't have any lunch plans either. All the ones I have picked out are either breakfast or dinner. And I don't have any back-ups picked out yet. So far the places I have picked out are 'Ohana, Garden Grill, Boma, Chef Mickey's, Hollywood & Vine, and Crystal Palace. But of course this all could change at any time between now and June 22nd.
You have some great picks! (At least based on reviews I see on here, I haven't eaten at any of them! Although honestly I've read so many reviews, seen so many pictures, and looked at the menus enough to feel like I have!) I'm thinking we're going to do the parks all day too, with no break, especially at AK and DHS. MK and Epcot have slightly longer hours, so we could take a break if we have to. Gonna play that one by ear! The only day I am just not happy with our meal plan is our DHS day. With it closing at 7, I either need to just 1) decide now that we will be done with the park by 5:30 or so and do dinner somewhere after, or 2) find a lunch in the park. My kids are not great restaurant patrons anyway , so I am worried about how they will do at a non-character meal at 7 at night. Just not sure how to work that day out. Now I am considering Mama Melrose, which we could do for lunch, but I know my mom liked the clambake idea...oh, the choices!!!

Old 06-04-2009, 09:07 PM   #25
princesspaige
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Alright, I am choosing not to feel like a total loser since no one else has said hello. I may be talking to myself, but that's okay!
I know what you mean...but I decided it didn't matter...afterall I find myself talking to myself at work so it should come as no surprise if I do it here on the dis.

I think it is great that you are making plans as to what days to visit which parks. I am making this our laid back trip. Afternoons spent at the hotel for pool and nap time...more for DH than DD. Other than ADR's, manatory pool time, and MNSSHP, we are not planning.

We thought about driving as well since it is just 3 of us...that lasted about 30 seconds before DH figurative slapped me silly.

I am excited to see how your planning progresses so I am staying tuned for more.

Me DD
Old 06-04-2009, 09:24 PM   #26
jana616
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspaige View Post
I know what you mean...but I decided it didn't matter...afterall I find myself talking to myself at work so it should come as no surprise if I do it here on the dis.

I think it is great that you are making plans as to what days to visit which parks. I am making this our laid back trip. Afternoons spent at the hotel for pool and nap time...more for DH than DD. Other than ADR's, manatory pool time, and MNSSHP, we are not planning.

We thought about driving as well since it is just 3 of us...that lasted about 30 seconds before DH figurative slapped me silly.

I am excited to see how your planning progresses so I am staying tuned for more.
! Glad you came over to check it out-another Hoosier is always welcome! I wish I could be laid back, but that's just not how I roll! I am OCD to the max when it comes to planning. I think I'll be able to go with the flow a bit once we're there, but I like to know that I have researched every last detail before we leave! I will keep checking in on yours as well!

Old 06-04-2009, 09:25 PM   #27
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
For the week we'll be there they seem to make sense. I was kind of bummed to see DHS close at 7. That seems really early to me!
Me too! That's my least favorite park to being with because it is so hard to plan and so hard to tour efficiently, and the short hours just make it worse! We're definitely going to have to do rope-drop on our DHS day, which will be a first for my family of night owls.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:29 PM   #28
kadee_29
Mouseketeer

Quote:
...oh, the choices!!!
I completely agree with this!! I have changed my mind so many times it's pathetic. And now with the shorter hours it's even harder. We are going to have the stroller for our youngest so we should be able to stay out most of each day. And remember that you will be take small breaks throughout the day for snacks and meals depending on what time of day your meals are.

September, 2009 AKL
Old 06-05-2009, 03:22 PM   #29
jana616
DIS Veteran

Confessions of a WDW trip Shopaholic!

So...as I have mentioned, we booked this trip back in November 2008. So I have had tons of time to prepare, and as any good woman knows, part of preparing for anything involves shopping!

I have tried to keep an eye open for little things that will make the trip more magical for us, and boy, I have found lots!!! Who knew there were so many cute things that 5 and 2 year old boys NEED for a trip to Disney World?

I started out stashing these things in a milk crate in our closet. That crate kept shrinking , and before I knew it, I moved them into a carry-on suitcase. But my bad luck has continued, because the carry-on has also shrunk , and I am pretty sure I am going to have whip out several Rubbermaid tubs soon!

No story of Disney purchases would be complete without pictures, so without further ado, here's what I have so far! Oh, and I am SO sorry for all the messed up picture sizes! I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm trying to learn!

First, let me just say how much I love Target. I have scored some really neat things there for very little money! In this picture are some Dollar Spot finds (snack containers, socks, temp. tattoos, flashlights). But there are also some clearanced after-Easter finds as well (Princess lollipops in holders, $.24; bubbles, $1.xx; sport water bottles filled with candy necklaces, $2.00)!! Oh, and Mickey fruit snacks, because...yum!

Next up are the various things I'm finding to try and keep the kids happy and content on the planes there, and in the restaurants, and wherever else the kids need to be happy and content! I love garage sales, and I've found Disney surprise ink books and a Minnie doodle pad there. The Mickey and Elmo surprise ink books were clearanced at JoAnn Fabrics! Shh...Cooper loves Elmo more than Mickey! Some of the other things were more Target $ Spot finds. But my favorite is the two spinning light-up toys. I found those at a Children's Consignment Sale I go to twice a year, and they were each $.25!!! I am hoping this will avoid paying $15 or whatever they cost when we get there!

These are the only two Disney shirts I've bought the boys so far. I really want to make them some from the Creative DISigns board designs, but at least they're a start. These were from when the Disney store had them 3/$12, gotta love that!

I think this might be my favorite purchase so far! Target (again, can you feel the love?) has a twice-annual toy clearance where things are 75% off. I found these there, and each one was $1.48. I bought two of each, and am planning on leaving them every other night or so for the boys to wake up to. I am so excited about doing the little magical things for them!!!

Okay, enough of my stash pictures! What have you all bought? Do you have a Disney crate, suitcase, or tub?

Old 06-05-2009, 03:28 PM   #30
jana616
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
Me too! That's my least favorite park to being with because it is so hard to plan and so hard to tour efficiently, and the short hours just make it worse! We're definitely going to have to do rope-drop on our DHS day, which will be a first for my family of night owls.
I think this is the one time in my life I will be happy to have kids who are up at the crack of dawn daily! I think we'll be able to make rope drop most mornings, and I'm planning that DHS rope drop is a must, so we can do TSMM without a carzy wait! I'm still not sure on dinner there yet; I better just make a decision and live with it!

Quote:
I completely agree with this!! I have changed my mind so many times it's pathetic. And now with the shorter hours it's even harder. We are going to have the stroller for our youngest so we should be able to stay out most of each day. And remember that you will be take small breaks throughout the day for snacks and meals depending on what time of day your meals are.
I know, the meal and snack breaks will be really nice, and I'm planning on some downtime with easier, quieter rides or water play areas too. I'm just not positive whether Cooper can get by with just stroller naps most days, or if the hotel break will be necessary. Time will tell, I guess!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: