Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2009, 04:23 PM   #151
DisneyTiger
Life is what happens between trips to Disney World

Quote:
Originally Posted by jana616 View Post
No, not TMI at all! That's exactly what I am trying to figure out. I was kind of thinking the same sizes you did, so it's good to know I'm on the right track. I have all the disigns I've found/requested all saved in My Pictures on my computer. So if I understand correctly (and please tell me if I don't!), I just print them onto the transfer paper I ordered (like regular paper, just like yours), trim around them, and iron them on, right?

The papers I ordered are supposed to be easier to transfer than the Avery, etc. ones in the stores, plus I guess they're less likely to crack, bleed through... IDK, enough people swore by them that I bit the bullet and ordered them. And I tried to make it easy on myself and pick bordered box-style designs for all my colored shirts (so no intricate cutting around), and then for the ones going on white shirts, I should be able to just trim closely, right?

Please, please tell me if I am not understanding this stuff well. I don't want to waste time, transfer paper, or shirts. Every other thing I have made for this trip has been harder and took longer than I expected, so naturally, I am terrified for the shirt making!

Thanks!
Ok, I personally don't find the whole iron on process to be very hard, but it is time consuming. I have done my share of shirts though, but even on my first one, it wasn't that hard. Here is the transfer paper that I use from Michael's..

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/d...ductNum=gc0433

I too make my designs easy by having a box around them. Even if I get a design from a DISiger and it doesn't have a box, I'll add one in Microsoft Paint. Even I can figure that out You just run the paper through your printer, let it dry for a few minutes, peel the backing off, lay the graphic on your t-shirt, put the piece of parchment type paper that comes with the transfers over the graphic and iron. There are directions on how to do all of this in the package. I think it costs like $7.99 for 5 sheets and they're 8.5 X 11 which means you can get 2 5X7's out of one sheet.

Now, explain to me how you "ordered" your transfers. Did you actually pay someone to do them? Do you know what kind of paper they're on? Just curious. I have to say that the last ones I made did run a bit but I think it was the printer that I used. It was my sisters because mine died. I don't know if itwas the ink or the paper. I have all of our shirts from the first trip and they'll fine. I think it was the ink.

And I so hope I'm not stressing you out with this! I'm sure they'll be there in plenty of time and easy to do. I'd be happy to help you out with any other questions! And I would love to see your graphics. Or are they a suprise??
Old 08-24-2009, 05:35 PM   #152
jana616
DIS Veteran

OK, major problem...what I ordered was transfer paper. Just the plain, blank paper for me to print my own transfers using the DISigns from here. When they didn't come today, I e-mailed the woman who sells them and asked to clarify the address, as well as ask where she was shipping from. She replied, and mailed them to my address from 3 years ago! So I won't ever get them, right? I've replied and asked that if they will just come back to her, can I cancel the order. If she has to start from scratch with sending them, then I will never get them in time. I don't really know how this happened. I paid with Paypal, and apparently my "home" address is my current one, but my confirmed address is the old one and that's the one attached to the bank acccount used (which I don't get since the bank uses our correct address, but whatever). So I guess this is my fault, and I don't know if she'll do anything to help me out. Anyway, I'll see how nice she is about it. So I guess I will be getting those sheets from Michaels in the meantime. Oh, I am so bummed!

2009 PTR! 100 Days til Our First Family Trip!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2190617

Last edited by jana616; 08-24-2009 at 06:00 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-24-2009, 06:57 PM   #153
DisneyTiger

Oh no!!!! Well, I'm glad you called to check on them! What kind of paper is it?I'm very curious! That is so frustrating! I hope she has pity on you! If not, the paper I told you about works just fine. Have no fear
Old 08-24-2009, 07:41 PM   #154
mommyof2Pirates
DIS Veteran

Loved all your projects, especially the autograph books. They all look great.

Love the 1st day of preK pic too. So exciting yet so sad that your baby is growing up. I know the feeling. Ryan starts in his Pre-K classroom next monday. You would think I wouldnt be bothered since hes been in daycare since he was an infant but I feel sad too that he is just getting so big so fast. Where does the time go?

Good luck with the paper. I am sure it will work out ok. Sorry I cant offer much advice since Ive never done transfers before but I bet the store bought stuff will be ok.

And look at the bright side. Only 14 days til disney
Old 08-24-2009, 08:14 PM   #155
jana616
DIS Veteran

CRISIS AVERTED!!! After 3 hours of phone calls and e-mails, I finally got ahold of the current owner of our old house, and she actually received it and was holding it for a few days just in case I tried to find it! I can't believe it! She's going to leave it on her front porch and I can get it tomorrow. I am so relieved; I'm pretty sure I was having some heart problems while this was sorted out.

And for the record, Amy (aka the transfer lady) was awesome in her response. She was willing to send out a second set for just the cost of shipping, and hope the other set was returned to her. Pretty great!

So hopefully I can post tomorrow with a couple of shirt pictures!

Old 08-24-2009, 08:20 PM   #156
princesspaige
DIS Veteran

Quote:
CRISIS AVERTED!!! After 3 hours of phone calls and e-mails, I finally got ahold of the current owner of our old house, and she actually received it and was holding it for a few days just in case I tried to find it! I can't believe it! She's going to leave it on her front porch and I can get it tomorrow. I am so relieved; I'm pretty sure I was having some heart problems while this was sorted out.

And for the record, Amy (aka the transfer lady) was awesome in her response. She was willing to send out a second set for just the cost of shipping, and hope the other set was returned to her. Pretty great!

Whew! I am glad you were able to track down your papers! The projects you have completed so far look awesome.

Can you believe you have 14 more days to go! I am down to 12...I keep thinking to myself "is it ever going to get here?" and then suddenly I am "OMG, I can check in on-line in 2 days!"

Me DD
Old 08-24-2009, 10:14 PM   #157
jana616
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspaige View Post
Whew! I am glad you were able to track down your papers! The projects you have completed so far look awesome.

Can you believe you have 14 more days to go! I am down to 12...I keep thinking to myself "is it ever going to get here?" and then suddenly I am "OMG, I can check in on-line in 2 days!"
Woo hoo for 12 days! That's nothing! Have you got everything ready? Any last minute details you're still working on?

Old 08-25-2009, 07:21 AM   #158
DisneyTiger

Soooo glad this worked out for you! You'll be a busy bee today
Old 08-25-2009, 10:16 AM   #159
Macduffy
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Phew... that was a close one! But it all works out in the end. I'm glad you don't have to use the Michael's paper - I did once and it was HORRIBLE!!! I ordered from Amy as well
Keep up the great work! Hope the boys are doing well

This is you. This is your badness level. It's unusually high from someone your size. - Lilo to Stitch
Old 08-25-2009, 08:00 PM   #160
mommyof2Pirates
DIS Veteran

Sounds like you have gotten some disney magic already. I am so glad you were able to get the transfers and get started on your shirts. Cant wait to see them.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:24 PM   #161
jana616
DIS Veteran

Progress made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macduffy View Post
Phew... that was a close one! But it all works out in the end. I'm glad you don't have to use the Michael's paper - I did once and it was HORRIBLE!!! I ordered from Amy as well
Keep up the great work! Hope the boys are doing well
You will LOVE Amy's transfers. They are awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyTiger View Post
Soooo glad this worked out for you! You'll be a busy bee today
I was!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof2Pirates View Post
Sounds like you have gotten some disney magic already. I am so glad you were able to get the transfers and get started on your shirts. Cant wait to see them.
Alright, so of course things didn't work out quite as easily as I thought they would. What else is new?!

I went to pick up the transfers after I dropped the boys off at preschool. The current owner had said she would leave them on the front porch. Of course, I get there and they are not outside and she's gone. I was super bummed because 1) I wasted a trip there, and 2) Chad's mom took the boys straight from school, so I had the day to work on them. I gave it until 3 or so, and called her again. She was like, "Oh, I forgot to put them out and won't be home for 2 days. Can I just mail them to you?" Uh, NO! Luckily, our old neighbor, whom we are still friends with, had a key, went into her house, and got them (with her permission, of course!). But I didn't get them until 5:30 today, so that part stunk.

Anyway, all that to say...I've made 6 shirts so far. They are way easier than I thought. Well, actually I made 7. When I started thinking I was never going to get Amy's transfers, I used an old one I had from a Hobby Lobby pack. Let me tell you, having used both, Amy's are worth every penny! That one was very faded, and had to be flipped, and just didn't look right, so I pitched that one and re-did it. The ones I've done with Amy's paper look awesome, and they are so much easier! I did have one problem. I used a design with a blue border, and then a white background with Mickey in a knight's costume, and it says, "Prince in Training." Super cute. But on Cooper's, the red shirt that it went on bled through the white background. It's not terrible, and not bad enough that I'm not going to use it, but still... Luckily I am far from a perfectionist, and I'm short on transfer paper!

I had been holding off on ordering the other t-shirts I needed, just in case this was super hard and I didn't want to do many. Now I know I it, and I wish I could make shirts for all of us each day. Not going to happen, but that's okay! 18 will be plenty, and if I have extra paper I can do a couple more for Chad (who, shockingly, seems into the shirts!).

What has everyone else been up to?

Old 08-25-2009, 10:03 PM   #162
mommyof2Pirates
DIS Veteran

Well it sounds like its all starting to come together. Glad you finally got the paper and that it was worth the hassle. The prince in training shirt sounds adorable. I bet no one will even notice the imperfection.

I finally sat down tonight and typed up my final packing list with the items still needed typed in red. I had stuff written all over the place and feel so much better now that Ive made a formal check list. I also went online and stopped our mail for the week we are gone.

I am still working on- my planner, DH and my costume for MNSSHP, money envelopes, getting a bag together for donovan (dog), clean out our basement so the oil company can do our yearly check on the oil burner (getting this done the day before we leave), LAUNDRY, and whatever else new I can think of in the next 3 1/2 weeks.

Have fun making the rest of the tshirts. I am anxiously awaiting the pics
Old 08-25-2009, 10:22 PM   #163
jana616
DIS Veteran

Thanks, it is finally starting to come together. And I am realizing that it's a darn good thing I didn't start making shirts before I did, or we would have 100 of them! It is SOOO fun to make them. I did one more tonight, a Playhouse Disney one for Griffin (waiting on Cooper's shirt to come), and it's my favorite so far. I will post pics soon. I felt like I should get them all done first, but it's mean of me to make you all wait, isn't it?

Sounds like you are being super productive and organized! Good for you! I need to figure out what I have left to buy. I got the other rain cover today, and went through and determined what snacks we are bringing (fruit snacks, goldfish and raisins for the kids), plus Chad and I decided what we are going to eat for breakfasts in the room (raisin toast, little cereal boxes for the kids, and maybe bagels, plus I'm bringing some Pop Tarts just in case).

I'm struggling right now with what needs to go in my park bag each day. Does anyone have ideas, especially with two small kids, one of whom is in diapers? All ideas greatly appreciated!

Old 08-26-2009, 01:00 PM   #164
jana616
DIS Veteran

Let's talk food!

Enough of the t-shirt talk...I fear it may be getting old! Let's talk about something more fun...like food! I food. So does my DH (though he's so disgustingly skinny, you'd never know it, some things are not fair!), and ours moms are pretty big fans as well. My boys like the junk food, but not so much real food with any nutritional value. Anyway, I was reading my Unofficial Guide today, thumbing through the CS restaurant descriptions, and I realized I don't have those picked out! Shocking, I know!

Here's a quick summary of our plans so far, just to recap:

Monday: arrive, swim, lunch at POP, nap, MK. Dinner at CP 6:30
Tuesday: MK, dinner at 'Ohana 5 pm pm (where for lunch?)
Wednesday: DHS, brunch at H&V 11 am (where for dinner?)
Thursday: Epcot, lunch at Le Cellier 11:45 am (where for dinner?)
Friday: AK, breakfast at TH 8 am (where for lunch?). Dinner at POP
Saturday: open (probably Epcot), then DTD and T-Rex for dinner. Where for a 2nd CS at Epcot, if that's where we go?
Sunday: MK, 'Ohana brunch 10:55 am, Chef Mickey's dinner 5:30. No CS that day.
Monday: Flight home at 12:15. Breakfast at POP.

So, what CS should we consider? What places did you really like? And also, what snacks are can't miss? I have school bread, Dole Whip, and an ice cream sandwich from Main Street Bakery on my list, but what else? We have 21 snacks to devour!

Alright, let's all drool together!

Old 08-27-2009, 06:40 AM   #165
jana616
DIS Veteran

Alright, is it possible to smell through the computer? Because I'm starting to think I must be stinky, or just really, really boring! No one has commented in a couple of days, not even when I tried to start a discussion of food! And we all know food gets everyone talking!

If anyone is still reading along, can you let me know? If no one is, that's okay, I know we're all busy getting ready! But at least I'll know that I'm just talking to myself!

If anyone is interested, I'm still trying to figure out the park bag situation and also snacks and CS meal choices. OK, discuss amongst yourselves!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: