Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #2401
Angelrose
Likes to dance in golden sun beams
Knows too many details about Gnarf, Fnarfle, Grotchy and Ronkle....yep, she needs help!! ;)
Drives me even crazier than I am

Oh my goodness, what a storm we had. I've been without power for over 24 hours. The hottest days of the year without AC!

I went over to Chucks early Saturday morning. They had no power either. I had no idea the storm was so bad. They were trees down in Port, but thankfully not on my property. As I went down the road I could see lots of trees down and no traffic lights. Karen and I were starving and Chuck was on his way to help a friend move. So I went to the grocery store to pick up some OJ which I need and some bagels and tuna.

I stopped at McD's for breakfast. OMG it was a madhouse. Everybody and their grandmother was there. I had to go through the drive through because there were no parking places left. It took me around 45 minutes to get through the line and had to pray that some kind soul would let me change lanes so I could get out. I will never do that again!

Chuck was still home getting the generator working so they could have power for the freezer in the garage and the fridge inside, plus a small fan.

Karen and I tried to keep the kids occupied. Around lunch time I went home to pack an overnight bag because Chuck insisted he didn't want to go driving anywhere because people were driving like maniacs. So I went home, packed my jammies and bath stuff and covered the pool and went right back.

I read for a while and took a very quick cold bath. We all slept down in the basement where it was nice and cool. Karen and I slept in recliners, Chuck slept on an air mattress and the kids slept on the floor.

I don't think anyone slept really well. I got up a bit before 6 and got dressed to go home. I figured I would swim and keep cool. When I got home I got the nice surprise that my electricity was back on. I didn't lose much. I lost a small pork tenderloin and a pot roast. I don't want to take a chance with partially thawed raw meat. I also lost half a container of OJ and some almond milk. I went grocery shopping this morning too and got everything I needed for the week.

I got in the pool and vacuumed up all the dirt and leaves and swam for an hour. Chuck called to say that Karen and the kids would come over for the afternoon to keep cool. He had to stay and keep watch on the generator.

Karen did a load of wash and the kids played on my organ for a while. I got Jesse settled with some Disney dvd's and I read while Karen and Zoey took a little nap. Zoey isn't feeling well. She has a temperature. But she was pretty good-natured the whole time.

They went home around 5. Poor Zoey's temp was 103. They finally got their power back on around 7 tonight. I'm glad about that. Karen will be taking Zoey to the dr tomorrow. I plan to spend a whole lot of time in the pool tomorrow for sure.

There are still a LOT of people without power tonight and I feel bad for them. It was one mean storm.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #2402
minniecarousel
Chris Isaak fan
I'll take my earthquakes over tornadoes & hurricanes any day!
What's up with ruining corn by "creaming" it?

eek! - that sounds awful. We rarely get power outages here and never get summer storms. That's such a foreign concept to me. Sounds like a lot of people were without electricity. Glad you got yours back.

Hope Zoey checks out well.

Bathroom demolition starts this week!

minniecarousel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #2403
Angelrose
Knows too many details about Gnarf, Fnarfle, Grotchy and Ronkle....yep, she needs help!! ;)

Thanks minniecarousel. We were very lucky here. There are still thousands without power. The latest is that they hope everyone will have power by midnight of the 4th.

Zoey still has a fever and the minute clinic has closed. She will have to wait until she can get in to see her pediatrician. Hopefully tomorrow.

Good luck on the new bathroom!
Old 07-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #2404
snapppyd

Is the daughter a member of the Dis?
Every day seems to be April Fool's Day on the Dis lately

Location: Donna Reedville Mind Blown, Reeking Lumstown, OlderthanDirtboro, Only post the good ones, They Must be done away with at all costs,USA

Hope everyone is doing well, just got back to NY and my computer.

DH's contract expired and the company locked them out. So not technically a strike - we have no medical coverage and no income. Tomorrow he is scheduled to picket. The sad thing is he could have retired on June 1st and we decided to wait for the new contract. The news is not covering the story, which is weird because it is one of the biggest utility companies there is.

We did have a great 4th of July, I'll post videos tomorrow.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #2405
Angelrose

Oh snappyd, I am so sorry to hear about your husband's company locking them out. That is just awful. Hope things work out for you both.

Glad you had a great 4th. Mine was very quiet. Except for the goofy neighbors who just HAVE to shoot off fireworks every weekend, not just the 4th.

Zoey is all better from the bad ear infection she had. I babysat for them on Friday so Chuck and Karen could have dinner out. I had such fun. As I was putting them to bed, Jesse told me "when you come back the next day, we will go downstairs and build a castle and then we will play with cars, then we will come upstairs and have lunch. No we will go to that place where I get raviolis (Olive Garden), then we will come home and I will take a nap and you will go home". LOL He had it all planned out. Funny that he didn't include his sister in those plans. He colored a picture for me and put his name on it and spelled out gadnmom. Pretty close to grandmom for a 4 year old. I have it hanging on my fridge.

Zoey scribbled a picture for me too. She was so proud of it.

Jesse asked me why I wore lipstick. Karen never wears it, but she doesn't have to. Her lips are naturally red. I told Jesse that wearing lipstick makes me feel pretty, like a princess. Zoey turns to me and says, "I'm a princess". That's what I call her. I really hate to put the kids to bed when they should. I somehow let them stay up an extra 15 minutes or so, but don't tell Karen. I will be fired!
Old 07-17-2012, 09:20 AM   #2406
snapppyd

Location: Donna Reedville Mind Blown, Reeking Lumstown, OlderthanDirtboro, Only post the good ones, They Must be done away with at all costs,USA

Just a quick hello, I'm in NY for a day. DH is still locked out; picketing again today. They did reinstate our health coverage, thank goodness. Still waiting for unemployment, we are in week 3 of the lockout.

Hope everyone is enjoying their summer, it is supposed to be in the mid '90's again today
Old 07-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #2407
Angelrose

So sorry to hear that the lockout is still going on. Hope it ends soon.

I am finally back online. I noticed that I couldn't really get connected last night. Everything was super slow and I couldn't get on the DIS.

This morning I noticed I didn't have phone service. I called Comcast and got a very nice lady who was very patient with me. Turns out it was just my modem that went off. All I had to do was unplug it and plug it back on and everything was back to normal. Well, as normal as it can get with me.

Friday morning I went to Hallmark to get my Christmas ornaments. That was fun. I swam for a couple of hours in the afternoon and then had dinner with Chuck, Karen and the grandkids at Olive Garden. I had so much fun. The kids were so good too.

Then we stopped at Hallmark so they could get their ornaments. I showed Karen what I got for the kids for Christmas. I always get them an ornament every year. I managed to find another ornament that I couldn't live without too. We had lots of laughs. Jesse picked out an ornament that was $25. He was told NO by daddy. I had already bought his ornament. But in October when they come out with the rest of the ornaments I will probably get that one for him for free. I'll have 10 ornaments by then.

After that we came home and put the kids to bed and I went home. It was a full day.

Saturday I went with my cousin Joan for lunch. We were going to be very good and go to Saladworks. We got there and decided we'd rather be bad and go to Red Robin. LOL I had my usual bacon cheeseburger, onion rings instead of fries and that sinful salted caramel milkshake.

Then we went to see Magic Mike. The acting was abysmal, the storyline, non existent, but the dance numbers were EXCELLENT. There should have been much more of that and less of the story. Well, I guess we know how my mind works.

After the movie we swam in her pool for a couple of hours and then I went home. I tried watching some of my CSI Miami episodes. I fell asleep, so I rewound or whatever you call it with dvd's. Darned if I didn't fall asleep again. Third time I managed to see the end. I heard thunder so decided to read instead of getting online.

I gave that up soon after discovering that I read the same page for half an hour and still didn't know what was going on.

I really wanted to watch the news and see the weather report. Yep, I fell asleep and woke up after the sports. I gave up and went to bed.

Karen asked me if I wanted to go see Brave this coming weekend. Chuck is taking Jesse and Jesse asked if I could come too! Isn't that wonderful? I feel so special. I have no idea what the movie is about other than a girl with red hair has a bow and arrow. LOL I guess I will find out this weekend.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:50 PM   #2408
4 mickey
4 MICKEY

hi angelrose
You are keeping busy as always ..I also have to stop by our hallmark stores for some disney ornaments ..not that my tree isnt full enough lol..but one can never resist some cute disney ornaments ..
when I read how happy seing your grandkids makes you I think of me I also love to spend time with them they are the lights of our lives right ??
have a nice summer !!
4 mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #2409
4nana
God Bless America, Land of the Free, Because of the Brave. Godspeed and thanks to our troops and their families for their sacrifices.

Angelrose

Glad to hear you continue to be a busy lady and enjoying life, specially with your sweeties Jesse and Zoey . We are indeed fortunate to be blessed with such wonderful families and precious grands ~ for that's what keeps our world turning and keeps us young at heart !! We're enjoying two of our sweeties spending a couple nights, so fun times for ole fokes for sure . Let me know how you like 'Brave', because we have a couple lil redheads I think would enjoy it ~ the reviews I've heard so far are good!

Christmas already ~ sorry, just can't get in the mood with a hot humid 100* in Md . Stay cool in that pool girl!

Olive Garden... Red Robin ~ OMG you're making me hungry!?!

Snapppyd, bless your heart . Hugs and postive vibes headed your way, sure hope the lockout is settled soon, people are struggling enough as it is . Been there, done that, and didn't like that Tshirt at all ! Keep the faith ^j^
Blessed with 4 loving kiddos & IL's, 13 sweet grands, 50 Golden Years & Anniv. cruise gift....PRICELESS!!

There are two lasting bequests we can give our children & grandchildren: 'One is roots, the other is wings'.
~~~~~
Life is a journey ~ love makes the trip worthwhile

Grandchildren are God's reward for being a parent

"For He shall give the angels charge over thee, to keep thee safe in all thy ways" Psalms 91:11

For my dear Mom in heaven
4nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #2410
minniecarousel
Chris Isaak fan
I'll take my earthquakes over tornadoes & hurricanes any day!
What's up with ruining corn by "creaming" it?

Good morning ladies!

I love that you can spend so much time with your Grands, Angelrose. Your son & daughter-in-law are very special. And I know what you mean about trying to stay awake for TV shows - I'm always missing the endings.

Snappyd - that must be so frustrating. I hope your husband's work situation gets resolved soon.

minniecarousel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #2411
Angelrose

Good evening all. I do try and keep busy. It gives me something to look forward to every day. It is wonderful to have the grandkids to spend time with. They are indeed a blessing and helps me stay sane. I need to have those little hugs and smiles. I am so blessed to have such a wonderful family to rely on.

Karen is having a birthday party at the end of September for both kids. Zoey's is August 31 and Jesse is November 13. So we will have a Princess and Pirate themed party in the backyard. Hopefully they will be able to get the brick oven pizza guy come. He had this little brick oven on the back of his truck and makes the BEST personal size pizza in the world. I never eat pizza out, but I eat his. Really YUM. So that is something to look forward to.

As soon as the pool is closed around the 15th of September I will start to decorate for Halloween. That keeps me busy for a couple of days. The whole month of November I am busy decorating for Christmas. My tree takes me at least 3 days to decorate. A few hours each day and I am done. My tree is so full, but I always find room for more decorations each year. I think that is my favorite part of Christmas, decorating the tree.

I'm not doing well with Weight Watchers. I have gained almost 3 pounds in the last 3 weeks! I have fallen into my old bad habits and can't seem to stop. I've really got to start tracking everything again. I have been such a bad girl. Got to get back in the groove. I don't want to go back to where I was.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #2412
snapppyd

Just another drive-by! Dh is picketing again today, week 4 of the lockout with no resolution in sight I stopped by the apartment to pick up the mail and water the plants. I don't have computer access in NJ, so unless he goes back to work I won't be around again til next week.

I've gained two pounds with him being home all the time, this has to end soon, LOL!

Hope all of you are enjoying your summer, it's going by so fast!
Old 07-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #2413
Angelrose

Oh snappyd I am so sorry this has gone on so long. I keep hoping to hear some good news from you soon.

I broke a tooth on Saturday night. So I called yesterday and they were able to fit me in today because of a cancellation. I was lucky. He did a wonderful job and saved the tooth. There wasn't much tooth left. He said I have to super careful because the temp is just sitting there glued to the little bit of tooth left. Even after I get the crown on (in three weeks) I still have to be careful because the tooth could break under the crown.

Then the really painful part. The bill. It was $1015! EEEEEEEEEKKK They said I could get a discount of a whole 5% if I paid in cash next time. OH YIPPITY SKIPPITY! A whole 5%! Well, I guess that is better than nothing, so I will probably do that for the last half.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:58 PM   #2414
Angelrose

Today was my 47th anniversary. I can't believe my love is not here to celebrate it with me. He was such a softy and would get me the most beautiful cards. I miss him.

But I think he said hello to me today.

When we would be in the pool, Ron always wore a straw hat. There was always a dragonfly who would perch on his hat and take a little ride with him back and forth in the pool and then fly off. They would never come close to me.

Well, today, a dragonfly came within a couple of inches of my nose. Just fluttered there for a moment and then flew off. I think that was my Ron saying HI and Happy Anniversary.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #2415
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelrose View Post
Today was my 47th anniversary. I can't believe my love is not here to celebrate it with me. He was such a softy and would get me the most beautiful cards. I miss him.

But I think he said hello to me today.

When we would be in the pool, Ron always wore a straw hat. There was always a dragonfly who would perch on his hat and take a little ride with him back and forth in the pool and then fly off. They would never come close to me.

Well, today, a dragonfly came within a couple of inches of my nose. Just fluttered there for a moment and then flew off. I think that was my Ron saying HI and Happy Anniversary.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: