Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2014, 10:12 AM   #1
Rafiki31
Mouseketeer

Feeling sad . Please don't text and drive

Lost a family member in a horrible car crash. She was hit by a young man who was texting and driving, crossed the middle and hit her head on. He survived. Her kids lost their mom, her husband lost his soulmate. Our whole family is trying to accept our new reality. And living so far away, I feel so sad that we haven't been able to visit in a few years. So now, we will make time to go to the funeral. Just awful.

Take a minute to hug your loved ones. Take time to plan to visit. Or make a phone call. Trust me, I wish we would have put it on the credit card and went to visit. We kept saying next year, next time, when we have more money/time whatever. Don't put it off. You might not get another chance.

And please PUT YOUR PHONE AWAY. Don't text and drive. I can't help but wonder what text was so important it led to this.
Rafiki31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:18 AM   #2
Donnainnj
Loves having an AP
Has lost about 4 toppers

I am so sorry for your loss. Donna
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2014, 10:23 AM   #3
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

So sorry.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:44 AM   #4
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

The phone manufactures can help us out.

I have a speedometer app which means the phone can tell how fast you are going.

The phone manufactures can build it into the phone that when a certain speed is reached the text feature is disabled.

I would say the speed should be walking.

Safety is more important than texting.
manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:49 AM   #5
rgf207
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by manning View Post

The phone manufactures can build it into the phone that when a certain speed is reached the text feature is disabled.

It's education that we need and stricter fines. It needs to be outlawed on all 50 states. Apps won't work. They never will. There's so much more than on phones these days than just texting. Email, GPS, Facebook, Twitter. You can't rely on an app to stop this. Plus you can't have an app or feature that disables texting at certain speeds. What about passengers in cars, trains, buses, subways etc. That won't work

2002 - Off Site;2004 - Off Site;March 2005 - AKL;Sept 2005 - PoP, POR, ASMo;May 2006 - POR;June 2007 - BCV;June 2008 - SSR; March 2009 - SSR; August 2009 - SSR, AKV; Feb 2010 - VWL; Jun 2010 - BCV; Feb 2011 - AKV; June 2012 - BLT
rgf207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:49 AM   #6
mnrose
DIS Veteran

So sorry. I wish I had a dime for every time I'm driving and see someone texting. I'd be very wealthy indeed. It is ridiculous. Unfortunately, people all agree it's a good idea to stop texting FOR OTHER PEOPLE. But, they also think "they" can do it safely.

No. There is no such thing as 'safe' texting. I wish when you were caught doing it, it would be an AUTOMATIC revocation of your license. It is shown to be MORE dangerous than drunk driving. In my state, drunk driving = automatic license suspension. Same should go here.

Enforce that a few times and *maybe* we'd get somewhere.

So sad. Again, so sorry your family has to experience this senseless loss.
mnrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:56 AM   #7
lynxstch
Love that Figment!
Turkey, Clay, and my favorite all time christmas song..all on the same day..it doesn't get any better!
Learned the hard way not to store meltables in the oven

So very sorry for your loss
Old 11-25-2014, 03:53 PM   #8
CPT Tripss
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Other than letting the user know a call, call not text, came in the phone should be deactivated as soon as the ignition is switched on.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:40 PM   #9
ThurlFan
Grim Ghost

First, condolences on your loss, Rafiki31. There are no words.

The problem with these automated solutions is how will the phone know whether you're driving or a passenger. And if you're driving and it's your phone how would it know a passenger isn't doing the typing on your behalf?

The bottom line is people have to understand the danger and behave accordingly. Whether that's accomplished though education or the criminal justice system or some combination I couldn't begin to tell you. Look at the drunk driving stats and see how well we're (not) doing with that - and we've been fighting that battle a lot longer.
ThurlFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:13 PM   #10
marmalade
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnrose View Post
So sorry. I wish I had a dime for every time I'm driving and see someone texting. I'd be very wealthy indeed. It is ridiculous. Unfortunately, people all agree it's a good idea to stop texting FOR OTHER PEOPLE. But, they also think "they" can do it safely.

No. There is no such thing as 'safe' texting. I wish when you were caught doing it, it would be an AUTOMATIC revocation of your license. It is shown to be MORE dangerous than drunk driving. In my state, drunk driving = automatic license suspension. Same should go here.

Enforce that a few times and *maybe* we'd get somewhere.

So sad. Again, so sorry your family has to experience this senseless loss.
I am surprised at how many older people (should know better by now) I see texting while driving. Or people with kids in their car staring down at their laps.

I'm so sorry OP for your loss, this is such a preventable tragedy.
marmalade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:02 PM   #11
Lionqueen2
DIS Veteran

I am so sorry for you loss. This story is just so sad. My heart goes out to your family.

Seeing people text while driving irks me so much. It is so dangerous. Yesterday, we were driving down the highway and saw a car drifting from one side of a lane to the other side sometimes crossing the lane lines. When we finally thought it was safe to go around, it was clear the driver was texting since he was looking at his lap as his car was going down the road.
Lionqueen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:46 PM   #12
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgf207 View Post
It's education that we need and stricter fines. It needs to be outlawed on all 50 states. Apps won't work. They never will. There's so much more than on phones these days than just texting. Email, GPS, Facebook, Twitter. You can't rely on an app to stop this. Plus you can't have an app or feature that disables texting at certain speeds. What about passengers in cars, trains, buses, subways etc. That won't work
I'm talking about the feature built into the phone without the ability to override it. I only mention the app to make aware it can be done. you want them to design it so all the features you mention disabled when you get above a certain.

Enforcement..... Our state has a tough law banning texting. Also while driving the phone can only be use hands free. Guess what, there are large numbers of people still doing it.

Law enforcement is using every trick in the book. Even as far as riding in semis so they can look down into the vehicles. So if you get chased down by a semi you know your in trouble. I know they use a chase car.
manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:19 PM   #13
marmalade
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm talking about the feature built into the phone without the ability to override it. I only mention the app to make aware it can be done. you want them to design it so all the features you mention disabled when you get above a certain.

Enforcement..... Our state has a tough law banning texting. Also while driving the phone can only be use hands free. Guess what, there are large numbers of people still doing it.

Law enforcement is using every trick in the book. Even as far as riding in semis so they can look down into the vehicles. So if you get chased down by a semi you know your in trouble. I know they use a chase car.
I don't see something like this happening ever. There isn't always only one person in the car, or what if someone is traveling by bus. Something like this wouldn't allow passengers access to their phones. This one thing alone is enough to never have this mandatory in phones.
marmalade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:02 PM   #14
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

I work in a trauma center. We get a lot of texting driving accidents. That's pretty much most of what I see. Lots of broken bones and traumatic brain injuries. Everyone knows it's bad, but thinks *they* can still do it safely. Op I am so sorry for your loss. I'm not sure what it is going to take to stop. People are really in denial.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:12 PM   #15
ebtbmom
DIS Veteran

Really sorry for your loss and thanks for the reminder. I don't text and drive but I do mess with my navigation and drive and really what's the difference? It will even ask me if I'm a passenger in an effort to save me from myself but I lie to it.

We all need to be more aware and less distracted when behind the wheel!
11/2004 1st trip, ASM,11/2006 2nd trip, POP,6/2008 day trip DLR,11/2008 3rd trip, POP,1/2010 DLR at DLH!,1/2011 1st solo POFQ, 11/2011 POR, 3/2012 B-day trip! 10/2012 POP, 6/2013 day trip DLP 11/2013 POP 2/2014 CSR 2nd solo! 10/2014 CBR
ebtbmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: