Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
WLfamily
Mouseketeer

What do you mean your throat hurts?!? Your throat can't hurt, we're at Disney!!

This is my first attempt at a trip report so I can't promise how it will turn out. For those who choose to follow along with me on this journey, I will do my best to keep you entertained. Several of my friends from the July board already know the cast in this story, but for the rest of you let me fill in the blanks.
Me (41) ~ Disney Fanatic
DH (42) ~ Loves Disney too but not as much as me
DS (14) ~ Stuck somewhere between mom and dad
DD (10) ~ Following in my footsteps

A little backstory: Our first trip to Disney was way back in 2002. I had never been before but always dreamed about it. Dh had been once as a child, when there was only MK, and didn't understand why I would want to travel nine hours to an amusement park. At this time ds was 6 and dd was 3 so I convinced him it would be a great vacation for the kids. To make a long story short...booked vacation, then discounts came out, changed dates of vacation, got a great deal, went for 6 nights at the Wilderness Lodge with water parks and park hoppers (there was no dp back in those days), and I was there on my 34 birthday! Keep in mind we knew "nothing" about Disney, total newbies. Driving up to the Lodge my dh reached over, patted my leg, and said "You did good honey." !!!! From that moment on we were sold! No turning back now.

Now for this trip. This is trip number three for us. We have stayed at WL on the first two trips and as much as we say we want to stay somewhere else, we are too chicken to try somewhere else. Now I'm an obsessive planner. I book a year out and spend an entire year researching, making notes, planning, changing plans, driving people crazy, etc. This trip we decided to be brave and we booked CB in a pirate room. That lasted about a month and I got nervous that it wouldn't live up to my expectations so I changed. We had always said we would like to try the Beach Club so, I booked it. That lasted about three weeks and I changed again, to WL. Now you're thinking I'm done right? Wrong. I am still researching and decide that I can save money by going back to a moderate. I change WL to POR telling my family it will be fun to try some place new! I am really trying to convience myself, not them, but at least I'm trying. Well by now I am sure you have figured out that I didn't stay with that resort, I chickened out and went back to ole' faithful WL. I think I changed our reservation a total of five times when all was said and done.

So we are booked to stay at WL July 19-26 with 8 day park hoppers and dining plan. We normally leave our house around mid-night and drive all night, it takes us about nine hours to get there. When the kids were younger they would sleep on the way there, but last year when we went to the beach we tried this and guess what? They don't sleep anymore!!!! So dh comes up with a new plan. He decides that we leave Sat. morning instead of Sat. night and find somewhere to stay for one night. This way the kids are exhausted when we arrive, but can get a good nights sleep before we check into the Lodge and start our park days. Great idea! And since we have always wanted to try some place new to stay I found this the perfect way to do just that! So I booked a one night stay at the Pop. Now we will be leaving on July 18 and staying one night at the Pop, checking out on the 19th and heading over to WL until the 26th.

Next up...trip down, our Pop stay, and day one of parks. And I promise pictures will be in this next part also.

July 2009 Trip Report~
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2251346
Old 08-07-2009, 12:56 PM   #2
tinkerbell60
DIS Veteran

Looking forward to reading your trip report! We stayed at WL the first several trips - even in the same room - 6020 in the North wing. As much as we love the Lodge - as our kids have gotten older it has been nicer to spread out - the rooms at some of the other Deluxes are bigger OR DH likes getting 2 rooms at Pop.
Register to remove

Old 08-07-2009, 01:03 PM   #3
Born 2B a Princess
DIS Veteran

I'm in!! You and Nikki have me very curious now about WL...I hope I have time to go look around there on our next trip.

July 2009 TR (unfinished): http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2249276
Disneyland, '83, '85, Grad Night '89
POP, Jul '07 / CBR, Jul '09 / ASMo, Oct '09 / Offsite, Nov '10
DTD hotels, Apr '11 / ASSp, Oct '11 / POP, Dec '11
CS, Sept '13
???, Jun '13
Old 08-07-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
meanmom121
DIS Veteran

JUmping on board
Old 08-07-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

I'm a July thread member and thought I would join since we were there some of the same dates. I understand about changing resorts. We have now stayed at POR 3 times and AS Music once. This last trip we were booked for Shades of Green, but then decided to switch to POR. We are going back Labor Day and staying at CBR in a Pirate Room. Curious to see if we like it or not. I've stuck with it since I am surprising my DS with the pirate room. I've kept that secret almost a year now.

Looking forward to more of your TR.
POR July 2006;POR June 13-21 2008;ASM Sept 26-28 2008;RPR July 14-16, 2009;POR July 16-21 2009;CBR Sept 4-7, 2009, POFQ Thanksgiving 2009, AKKV June 5-6, 2010, POFQ July 2010, AS Sports Sept 2010, POFQ Jan 2011, BLT Feb 2011, POP Apr 2011, SoG May 2011, POR July 2011, POR and POP Aug 2012, CSR Oct 2012, POR Sept 2013, GF Sept 2014

My DH wants another trip to WDW?!?! MNSSHP, F&W, and Diagon Alley A PTR for Sept 2014

Minions take over the MK and cause havoc at Gringott's A Sept 2014 TR
Old 08-07-2009, 02:12 PM   #6
WLfamily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell60 View Post
Looking forward to reading your trip report! We stayed at WL the first several trips - even in the same room - 6020 in the North wing. As much as we love the Lodge - as our kids have gotten older it has been nicer to spread out - the rooms at some of the other Deluxes are bigger OR DH likes getting 2 rooms at Pop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2B a Princess View Post
I'm in!! You and Nikki have me very curious now about WL...I hope I have time to go look around there on our next trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmom121 View Post
JUmping on board
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmskinner View Post
I'm a July thread member and thought I would join since we were there some of the same dates. I understand about changing resorts. We have now stayed at POR 3 times and AS Music once. This last trip we were booked for Shades of Green, but then decided to switch to POR. We are going back Labor Day and staying at CBR in a Pirate Room. Curious to see if we like it or not. I've stuck with it since I am surprising my DS with the pirate room. I've kept that secret almost a year now.

Looking forward to more of your TR.

Thanks for following me over guys, your so sweet!! I hope I don't disappoint!
July 2009 Trip Report~
Old 08-07-2009, 03:03 PM   #7
WLfamily
Mouseketeer

We are ten days away from leaving and ds isn't feeling well. First sign something is wrong: he gets up at 8:30am during summer vacation. Anyone with a teenager knows this just doesn't happen. Second sign something is wrong: he asks me to take him to the doctor. We get to the doctor and he tests positive for strep throat and a sinus infection. No big deal, we still have ten days before we leave. The doc puts him on antibiotics and by the next day he is feeling somewhat better. He takes his last dose of medicine on Friday and he seems to be fully recovered, thank goodness! Of course we find out later that is not really true, stay tuned.

We left our house at 4:30am and headed off to Florida!! Trip there was really very uneventful. No major problems, just the regular "he touched me!" "she touched me first!" stuff. So dh threatens to leave them both on the side of the road and they quiet down a little. Then the rain starts. First a few sprinkles, then the bottom fell out. At times it was so hard we could barely see. We are hoping our first day won't be a rain out.

After nine long hours we finally make it!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

July 2009 Trip Report~
Old 08-07-2009, 03:13 PM   #8
GiGiJoeysMom
Mouseketeer

OMG, love love love your title, I think I actually said those exact words on our last trip. Your son is my son's age, but my little girl is only 6, but the back seat drive sounds about the same. I think that is why my husband is researching an RV for our next Disney trip. Maybe we can actually seperate them by a room. Can't wait to hear more.

Kim

Me:

DH:

DS:

DDrincess:
Old 08-07-2009, 04:38 PM   #9
WLfamily
Mouseketeer

I'm sorry the pictures are soooo large! I'm really bad at downloading pictures anyway, so the fact that I got them on here at all is a miracle.

Everyone was tired from the trip, and dh and I were stressed from all the rain. Not to mention we were all starving because all we had eaten were some crackers and snacks I packed, no real meal. We checked into the Pop and looked around the lobby a bit. It was waaayy different than WL! But different can be good too. We were given a room in the 50's building and our door opened up to overlook the bowling ball pool. Now if we were going to stay any length of time I would not recommend this room, a little loud. But being that we were only there one night and our main idea was to let the kids swim and then sleep, this room location couldn't have been more perfect.

We put our bags in our room, I only packed one bag for this night so I wouldn't have to drag a weeks worth of luggage in. We then headed out to catch a bus to Downtown Disney to grab something to eat. This is where we noticed our "first" major difference in resorts. Now I have no problem with a bus every now and then, keeping in mind that we have been spoiled with boats and monorails, but we waited forever for this bus!!!! Okay, bus gets there and we are off to DD.

We decided to eat at Earl of Sandwich, had never been there before but heard good things about it on the Dis! This meal was out of pocket because dp and vacation pkg. don't start until we check in at the Lodge. I loved this place!!! Very good sandwiches and not too expensive. I don't think I would waste a CS credit on it though, probably just pay out of pocket if we were to eat here again. I do recommend it to anyone who needs to grab a quick bite at DD. I didn't take any pics of food, sorry.

We finished eating and walked around DD a bit. The kids were tired and all they wanted to do was swim. So we decided to head back to the Pop for the night. Well here we go with the buses again. We got to the bus stop at DD and waited, and waited, and waited some more. I counted four buses for every other resort come and go as we waited, now this includes buses for the All Star Resorts as well. Finally our bus arrives, we all stand and line up, it unloads, the driver closes the door, AND DRIVES OFF!!!
So, everyone kinda stares at each other and shakes their heads, what else you gonna do at this point? We wait again, and wait and wait. All in all we waited about 30 minutes for a bus to come along to take us back to Pop. When it finally arrived I lost track of how many stops it made before our final destination. Like I said before, I know we have been spoiled with transportation, but this was a bit much in my opinion.

We get back to Pop and the kids change into their suits and off to the pool. The had a great time swimming, and I sat and watched and met some very nice people. After they got out we walked to the food court/gift shop area. It was a madhouse!! You could barely move around in there. My ds gave up and he and dh went back to the room. DD and I stayed and grabbed a few snacks, I was determined to get a piece of that tye-dye cheesecake I had been hearing about. We joined them in the room, ate our snacks, showered and went to bed. And for those of you wondering, yes the cheesecake was everything it had been promised to be.

All in all we had a good stay at the Pop. I am very glad we decided to stay there and try some place new. Will we stay there again? No, I'm afraid not. About an hour into our stay both kids said they were ready to go to WL. As we checked out the next morning my dh looked at me and said, "We are officially resort snobs!" Always kinda thought that but now we know for sure. I think all the resorts at Disney have great things to offer and are very nice in different ways. Just for our family our resort stay is a huge part of our vacation and Disney just doesn't "feel" like Disney to us until we walk through those Lodge doors and here them say, "Welcome Home!"

I have decided to post pictures after I post the sections of my report so that my words are not running off the page and making it hard for you to read.
July 2009 Trip Report~

Last edited by WLfamily; 08-07-2009 at 05:03 PM. Reason: I can't spell!
Old 08-07-2009, 04:47 PM   #10
WLfamily
Mouseketeer

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
July 2009 Trip Report~
Old 08-07-2009, 04:50 PM   #11
WLfamily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGiJoeysMom View Post
OMG, love love love your title, I think I actually said those exact words on our last trip. Your son is my son's age, but my little girl is only 6, but the back seat drive sounds about the same. I think that is why my husband is researching an RV for our next Disney trip. Maybe we can actually seperate them by a room. Can't wait to hear more.

Kim

Thank you Kim! I thought that would be the perfect title considering the events of the trip. You will find out about those soon.
July 2009 Trip Report~
Old 08-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #12
MickeyisBeast
Some people just don't understand what Mr. Tom Morrow meant to me
I think you need some ICE for that burn!
This is sooo Tinsel

I'm loving your TR, so far! It's very good!

1999-Day Trip // 2000-Day Trip // 2002-Day Trip // 2006-Offsite // 2008-Contemporary // 2009-All Star // 2009-Polynesian // 2009-POR
// 2010-Coronado // 2010-Pop Century // 2010-Grand Floridian // 2011-CBR+Polynesian // 2012-Pop Century // 2012-Contemporary

Old 08-07-2009, 05:00 PM   #13
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

Within 10 minutes of walking into our room at AS Music my DH said, "I can handle this for a day or two, but we go back to a moderate for anything longer." I guess we are hotel snobs also.

Buses have always been hit or miss for us, even when we are trying to leave the parks to go to ADR's.

You were so smart to pack one bag for that night. As we loaded our truck I realized I should have separated our Universal stuff and WDW stuff so we wouldn't have to carry all of our luggage into both hotels.

Great pics!
POR July 2006;POR June 13-21 2008;ASM Sept 26-28 2008;RPR July 14-16, 2009;POR July 16-21 2009;CBR Sept 4-7, 2009, POFQ Thanksgiving 2009, AKKV June 5-6, 2010, POFQ July 2010, AS Sports Sept 2010, POFQ Jan 2011, BLT Feb 2011, POP Apr 2011, SoG May 2011, POR July 2011, POR and POP Aug 2012, CSR Oct 2012, POR Sept 2013, GF Sept 2014

My DH wants another trip to WDW?!?! MNSSHP, F&W, and Diagon Alley A PTR for Sept 2014

Minions take over the MK and cause havoc at Gringott's A Sept 2014 TR
Old 08-07-2009, 08:46 PM   #14
katiebelle21
DIS Veteran

Great start! I followed you over from the July board.

Quote:
Now for this trip. This is trip number three for us. We have stayed at WL on the first two trips and as much as we say we want to stay somewhere else, we are too chicken to try somewhere else.
My husband and I are the same way with the Beach Club. We said we were going to try some place else, but at the last minute switched back!
Old 08-07-2009, 10:38 PM   #15
WLfamily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyisBeast View Post
I'm loving your TR, so far! It's very good!

Thank you so much!! It's nice and scary to have an audience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmskinner View Post
Within 10 minutes of walking into our room at AS Music my DH said, "I can handle this for a day or two, but we go back to a moderate for anything longer." I guess we are hotel snobs also.

Buses have always been hit or miss for us, even when we are trying to leave the parks to go to ADR's.

You were so smart to pack one bag for that night. As we loaded our truck I realized I should have separated our Universal stuff and WDW stuff so we wouldn't have to carry all of our luggage into both hotels.

Great pics!
I guess there are worse things to be in life than resort snobs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiebelle21 View Post
Great start! I followed you over from the July board.

My husband and I are the same way with the Beach Club. We said we were going to try some place else, but at the last minute switched back!

Thanks for coming over! I'm glad to find others who understand the whole "afraid to stay anywhere different" thing.
July 2009 Trip Report~

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: