Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2009, 07:53 AM   #91
Figaro's paws
Mouseketeer

I'm joining in! How are you on page 6 already?! xx

Disneyland Paris 1997 (off site) Disneyland Paris 1998 (off site)
WDW May 2009 - POP (1st trip to the World)
WDW Disneymoon May 2010 - POP
WDW SSR Jan 2011
WDW POP May 2012
WDW SSR Feb 2013

Figaro's paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:00 AM   #92
Figaro's paws
Mouseketeer

Hmm, just answered my own question by actually reading the posts rather then commenting at the end! You DO have a fan club! Rightly so too!
Also need to update my ticker - only wish it were true!!

Disneyland Paris 1997 (off site) Disneyland Paris 1998 (off site)
WDW May 2009 - POP (1st trip to the World)
WDW Disneymoon May 2010 - POP
WDW SSR Jan 2011
WDW POP May 2012
WDW SSR Feb 2013

Figaro's paws is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-01-2009, 08:49 AM   #93
1girl1boy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh's-Honey-Pot View Post
WOW!! I can't believe how many responses I've had already!! Thank you! Let me get this posted, and then I will answer you!

So let us begin with the first evening!

By the time we sorted out the problems with the room it was getting on for 7.30, and we were feeling the travel, so we decided just to stay on site. We walked down to the Riverside Mill at Port Orleans Riverside, as I had read about the make your own pasta dishes. This looked pretty good up close so I went for it! There are loads of meats, veg and sauces to choose from; I went for chicken, penne pasta, mushrooms, prochuttio ham, and broccoli in a creamy alfredo sauce, with mountains of cheese on top. This came with a bread stick. It only takes a few minutes to make and you can see them doing it. Portions are HUGE! I really, really enjoyed this. Creamy, tasty, and loads of pasta – just the comfort food I was craving. The bread stick was dry so I left that. I give it 8.5/10 (loses a bit for the breadsticks, and found a bone in the chicken!).

MYO Pasta

Tony went for a pepperoni pizza, with some breadsticks and a marinara dipping sauce. He said this was moist and tomatoey, and not dry and gives it 8/10. The bread sticks were a bit dry and get 6/10.

Pizza & breadsticks

Dessert time!!!! No guesses as to what I would have – the one reason I wanted to stay at Riverside! The Magic Cookie Bar. A graham cracker base, covered in choc chips, coconut, nuts and condensed milk, and then baked. DIVINE!!! I ate about half with dinner, and then put the rest in the fridge in our room and ate over the next couple of days. Ok, I ate it the next morning as a pre-run snack, but who’s judging?! Its actually even nicer chilled, so try that! 10/10!

Giant choc cake front, and magic cookie bar

Tony went for the chocolate cake which was moist and rich and gets 8.5/10.

We hadn’t bought the refillable mugs at this point, as we weren’t sure where we were going to end up staying, so the server gave us free cups to use the soda machines, rather than charging us – I love Disney!

And that was our first night – we were very pleased so far!

Coming tomorrow – not a full Disney day . Sassagoula Floatworks for breakfast, starbucks snack, Earl of Sandwich lunch and Tony Romas dinner.

Little bonus picture – on the way to the airport in the UK we stopped for a Krispy Kreme dinner! Yummo!!!
1st time checking in and you seem to have quite a fan club too bad they can't get to hear the English accent while you type. I get people just ask me to talk to hear my accent LOL.

Anyway on to the real topic of discussion I am booked in with my DH, DD & DS to POFQ in August and am intrigues by the pasta station you described. Is it a TS or CS? I am on free dining.

Thanks for the details great to hear opinions of fellow DISers

May 97 - Off Site
Feb 98 - Coronado
Sept 06 - All Stars Movie (Kids 1st trip)
Xmas 08 - CBR (Kids Christmas Trip)
Aug 09 - POFQ (DS 4th Birthday Trip)
1girl1boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:51 AM   #94
Nix
Earning My Ears

Om nom nom nom, that pasta looks nummy, and the cookie bar...*Drools* I'm on board, nice to see some fellow brit reviews!

Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:05 AM   #95
Eeyore's Tailfinder
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the EoS tip!! I'm telling you, that's really going to come in handy!!

I'll have left my bikinis there, only to come back laden with EoS!

Disney Wedding ~ 11th Aug 2010 ~ WP/Sonoma/Napa/Whitehall DP

Nov 1999 - DLRP (Offsite) Jan 2006 - DLRP (Magic Circus) Jan 2007 - DLRP (DreamCastle) Aug 2007 - WDW (21 Nights: Sheraton Studio City, Universal's RPR, ASMo) Jan 2008 - DLRP (Hotel Santa Fe) Aug 2008 - WDW (21 Nights: POFQ & POLY CL) & 4-Night Bahamian DCL (Disney Wonder) June 2009 - Cheeky Trip Offsite (10 Nights: Wedding Site Visit) Aug 2010 - Our WDW Wedding & Honeymoon (23 Nights: Wilderness Lodge, Grand Floridian RPC MKV, Sheraton Four Points Sinatra Suite, Universal RPR, 4-Night Bahamian Disney Wonder, AKL CL SV & Contemporary CL MKV) May 2011 - Last Minute Early Anniversary & DH B'day Trip (14 Nights: Pop Century) Jan 2013 - Last Minute Birthday Trip (14 Nights: Pop Century) Sept 2014 - Trip with Friends (24 Nights: Fairfield Suites Seaworld, Universal RPR, Westgate Palace, Old Key West, 5 days Atlanta, Art of Animation)

DINING REPORTS: Aug 07: We Ate WDW COMPLETED! Aug 08:Don't Tell Me How To Eat Donuts
Eeyore's Tailfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:14 AM   #96
DISDANCEMOM
Mouseketeer

Quote:
No digestives dont quite cut it!! We are seriously deprived over here! The one supermarket which did Reese's cups doesn't do them any more Thank goodness for the lovely people we cruised with - they filled my fish extender with them!!

Oh I can't believe you were a cast member - I would love that! Did you get discounts on vacations?

I hope you get some ideas! Where are your favourite places to eat currently?

Yes...I definately miss the discounts I got as a Cast Member! As a matter of fact, I just said to my dh last night...maybe I should go get a part time job at the Disney Store to help with the cost of this trip. He didn't think that was such a good idea though...apparently he thinks I would spend more than I make and that would negate any saving we would get on our trip. Not to mention the fact that then I couldn't even go on the trip...vacation in the month of December is not happening if you work in retail!

As for our favourite restaurants...with the kids we seem to do a lot of character meals...they love them (who am I kidding...we love them too!) But this year we are doing "Date Night" and going to Schula's at the Dolphin for dinner. I will be our 13th anniversary while we are in the World so my dh wants to do something "just the 2 of us". He chose Schula's b/c he is a big NFL fan and loves him some steak! So the kiddies will go to Camp Dolphin (child care facility at the Dolphin) for a couple of hours and we will have Date Night!

DISDANCEMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:16 AM   #97
mi*vida*loca
DIS Veteran

Can't wait to read them!!

mi*vida*loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:41 AM   #98
gardengirl628
I'm sorry I bit you....and pulled your hair....and punched you in the face.

Yeah!!!! I'm so looking forward to another of your reports, Sonya! You rock!

Dana
WDW-offsite 1977, 1984; Dixie Landings November 1998; CSR June 2007; AKL November/December 2009; BWV/Western Magic/BLT February 2011; BCV July 2011; BLT/3 day Dream October 2012; HHI April 2013; BW August 2013
gardengirl628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:06 AM   #99
Wish I was in WDW
Earning My Ears

This is my first time ever posting on someone else's thread but I had to jump in and say that I LOVED your last report, it was the first one I'd ever read! We are very similar in our approach to holiday dining... quantity rather than quality!!! Bring it on, I can't wait to read all about it! I'm off again in September and you have been to many of my (hopeful) choices!

If you're after fantastic discounts in WDW, you should do what I did and go off on the International Program and spend a year in Epcot! Not only do you get to go and work there every day, but you also get free entry into all of the other parks!!! What could be better? How about discounts on dining and merchandise? Oh yes!!!! Needless to say, it makes my boring job back in the UK seem even worse! How could it possibly be better than working for the Mouse?!?!
Old 06-01-2009, 12:45 PM   #100
dznyacct
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Helloooooooo and welcome to my brand new food report! I had great fun writing last years, so I’m back for another go!

MEDICAL DISCLAIMER!! I am afraid to say you are not going to see much healthy food over the course of this review. There is, however, a medical reason!!! Yes, I am able to justify the diet you are about to see before you! I suffer a bit of an ongoing tummy problem, which has been getting a lot worse lately. When I went to the doctor he asked me about my diet. I proudly (and a little smugly) told him that I eat about 8 portions of fruit and veg a day. He advised me that this is “too healthy” and I needed to cut back.

Well, as you will see, I am never one to ignore doctor’s orders!!!!!!!!!

So let me introduce us, I am Sonya and my DH is Tony. We have been together 7 years, been to Disney 6 times in that time (in 2004 I won a holiday to Australia so we couldn’t go to Florida . . . ironically I only entered the competition to try and win the 2nd prize which was cash, in order to pay for a Florida trip!), and in 2006 we got married in Disney’s wedding pavilion. We love us a bit of Disney.

Things we don’t like – seafood and small portions, so you won’t see much of them here! Apart from that we are pretty much anything goes, diet-wise!

This year’s trip was quite long! We spent two weeks in Orlando from May 2nd – 16th, and then a week on the Disney Magic cruising the Western Caribbean! That’s a lot of food . . . that’s a lot of weight to gain. Tony has already weighed himself . . . it wasn’t pretty. I am holding off for a week or so!

This is us on the formal night on board. Hi there!!

Had a bit of a rough start to the trip – we were meant to be staying at Port Orleans Riverside . . . when we arrived they told us Virgin (our TA’s) had cancelled the booking 10 days earlier, and the hotel was full!!!!! Thank goodness for Disney customer service is all I can say. They found us a room at French Quarter (where we stayed last year and loved) and we decided to stay there for the full two weeks (nearer to the beignets!!). Took a few days for the TA to sort out the dining plan (which we were on for the first time) and our park tickets, as they were cancelled as well, but we got there in the end! And yes, there is a 6 page complaint letter in the post to our travel agents as we speak!!! And no, stress doesn’t put us off our food!

So without further ado, a list below of the places we will be reviewing! We went to a mix of old and new places (to us) this year, and have a new surprise favourite!

Table Service
Boma – breakfast and dinner
Le Cellier – lunch
T-Rex – dinner
California Grill - dinner
Ohanas – dinner
50’s Primetime – dinner
Kona Café – breakfast
The Wave - dinner
1900 Park Faire – dinner
Chefs De France – lunch
Nine Dragons – dinner
Crystal Palace – dinner
Beaches n Cream – lunch and dinner
Chef Mickey – breakfast
Grand Floridian café – lunch
Raglan Road – dinner
House of Blues

Counter Service
Riverside Mill Food court – dinner - page 3
Sassagoula Floatworks – breakfast (many times!)
Earl of Sandwich – lunch (4 times)
Cookes of Dublin – lunch
Wolfgang Puck Express – breakfast and lunch
Peco Bills - lunch
Pizzafari – lunch
Captain Cook’s – breakfast
Casey’s - lunch

Snacks
Ghirardelli’s (about 25 times!)
Sunshine Seasons
Goofy’s Candy Store
Main Street Bakery (too many times!)
Mini Donut Hut - Blizzard Beach
Kaka Gori
Kringla Bakeri
Riverside Mill food court
Popcorn stand
Icecream stand in AK
Dinosaur Gerties
Anandapur Icecream Truck
Pretzel stand
Sleepy Hollow

Off-site
Tony Romas - dinner
Market Street Café, Celebration – lunch
Buffalo Wild Wings – lunch
Starbucks – snack

Plus 7 nights of fabulous food onboard the Disney Magic!

Hope some of you can join me for these reviews! Will get the first review up tomorrow!

Hi Sonya ~ I'm here . Can't wait to catch up on your report. You do such an entertaining job . Can't wait for your review from our cruise . ~ Kathy
Old 06-01-2009, 02:03 PM   #101
coconutsunshine
DIS Veteran

I just wanted to say that I too am loving your report!!

I can't believe you can't get graham cracker crumbs where you live. You'll have to give us your address so we can mail you some!!! I make magic cookies every Christmas, it wouldn't be Christmas without them!!

Can't wait to read more
Old 06-01-2009, 02:17 PM   #102
gemmybear83
I would blame it all on Bob
Awww I love the first day
You could stay behind after your meal and have another drink

I am so sorry you had such bad problems with Virgin

However, I am totally signed up to this food report
Old 06-01-2009, 02:19 PM   #103
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

great start for your report! I am looking forward to read about all those meals!!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:37 PM   #104
Pooh's-Honey-Pot
Disney Bride June 19th 2006

POFQ Food Court, Earl of Sandwich and Tony Romas

May 3rd.

We woke up starving thanks to the time difference – we were already ready for lunch! I had to nibble my magic cookie bar before I even had the strength to get dressed.

We had Boma booked for breakfast – I was so excited to try this, having had to miss our ADR last year when Tony over indulged on chilli at Trails End the night before and was up unwell all night . . .!

Of course Virgin – our travel agents - had other ideas!!! Breakfast was booked for 8.50 (I had called earlier to see if they could fit us in a little later, but they only had 10.30 which was too late). We went to see Virgin at POR at 8am to sort out the problems with our room thinking that would be plenty of time. Yup you guessed it – we were still there at 9am! No Boma for me again (well actually we booked an ADR for later in the vacation, but so not the point!).

So a food court breakfast it was, and what else would we choose but Sassagoula Floatworks at POFQ and the beignets. Tony announced he wasn’t really bothered about eating them and couldn’t remember why we had liked them so much . . . he then took a bite and joy spread over his face! It is hard to describe why these are good – they are basically just deep fried pastry with an inch of icing sugar over them! But good they are!!! So light and sweet – mmmmmmm! I ate one and Tony had two, and then we had some very exciting Special K to go with them! I gave them 9 out of ten, and Tony gave them 10. Not exactly Boma, but at least it meant we had room for lunch!

Beignets

We went shopping for the morning and stopped at Starbucks for a quick pick-me-up, and decided to share a cinnamon bun. This was very disappointing – dry and they didn’t even warm it up! I only had a little bit of it. I give it 5 and Tony (who consumed the rest of it!) gave it 7.

Then on to lunch, and the love of our lunchtime lives – The Earl! We LOVE this place! I had my usual The Original (fresh roasted beef, cheddar and creamy horseradish sauce ) and Tony had the Full Montague (roast beef and turkey with cheddar and Swiss cheese, romaine lettuce, tomato and Earl's mustard ). We also shared a brownie and pack of chips. This was EXCELLENT! The bread was light and the filling very plentiful – loads of thinly sliced beef and creamy horseradish. I give my sandwich 10/10. Tony gave his 9/10, and the brownie 10/10. The brownie seemed a tiny bit drier than I am used to (they improve as our visits increase), but the chips were light and crunchy. Over all excellent and lived up to expectations.

The Original, plus brownie

The Full Montague and chips

Dinner was . . . off-site. I know! I’m sorry but I just had to get my rib rations started! So we headed over to an old favourite, Tony Romas on I-Drive. Very un-amused when we arrived to find they had taken wings off the menu?! What sort of rib restaurant doesn’t serve wings?!!! I was not happy! I asked about this and was informed they do have them, just the boneless ones – they called them “Boneless Buffalo Bites”. Now I have a rule – “if it ain't got bones then it isn’t a wing” – however I was desperate enough to try them. So to start we ordered the alleged wings and half an onion loaf (Giant hand-cut Spanish onions, breaded, deep fried and served with our house BBQ dipping sauce). The onion loaf was superb – we didn’t have one last year and I had forgotten how good it was. Really crisps battered onion, and lovely tasty fresh dip – 10/10 for that. The wings were another matter – they were just pieces of breast meat in breadcrumbs. That’s not a wing! I only ate a couple. Tony said they were good but a bit dry.

Onion Loaf

Imposter wings

On to entrees. We both ordered full racks of ribs – Tony had original sauce whereas I went for Blue Smokies. I had baked potato and broccoli. Tony went for fries and corn. When his came the server had ordered corn fritter casserole rather than corn on the cob! I really liked it though – tasted just like cornbread. This was all really good! The ribs were fall off the bone. I know I promised to try somewhere that wasn’t a chain this year; but we really enjoy it here! Maybe next year though, unless the wings come back on the menu! As a whole I gave the meal 9/10, and Tony gave it 9.5/10.

Just to show you the size of the plates!

Up next! Hotel breakfast, Sunshine Seasons snack, Le Cellier lunch, and T-Rex dinner.

Disney trips:- 1989 - WDW Off Site; 1990 - DLR off site; 1997 - Disneyland Paris off site; 1997 -WDW off site; 2002 - WDW off site; 2003 - WDW off site; 2005 - WDW AS Movies; 2006 - WDW CBR (Disneymoon and Disney Wedding Pavillion Bride!); 2007 -DLR off site; 2008 - WDW POFQ; 2009 - DCL-A week on the Disney Magic (Western) + WDW POFQ; 2010 - Disneyland Paris Hotel Cheyenne; 2010 - WDW Saratoga Springs Resort / Universal RPR 2010 -Pop Century; 2012 - Fantasy cruise

Take a peek at my 2009 reviews "But We Haven't Lost Last Years Weight Yet"! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post32039625
Check out my 2008 food report "Gluttony . . . Pure Gluttony" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1837106
2010 food review - "The Piggies are back . . . and this time they're hungry" http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post38731959
Pooh's-Honey-Pot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:53 PM   #105
torsie24
Or I could call it the postalabration
Now I know to wear flip flops!
Got engaged on a trip to Disneyland Paris

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!

I'm so excited to see you updated!!

Mmmmmmmm, the Earl looks sooooo good! I cannot believe the size of those ribs!!!

Can't wait for more!!

(Also - i'd go for WDW at christmas! I know you'll be on a DCL boat, but the med vs. WDW is a no brainer for me!!)

WDW: 1994-I Drive / 2009-AKL / 2011-Disney Wedding -AKL-GF RPC-BW-BLT
DLRP 1997-HNY / 2000-SL / 2008-SL / 2009-DLH / 2012-HNY
DLR: 2005-Day Trip
torsie24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: