Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
LeahA
DIS Veteran

Akl-kidani-2 bedroom-savanna-fabulous!

The first thing I noticed when walking into Kidani's lobby was that it was small. It didn't really bother me, but it was smaller than the massive lobby at Jambo House. We checked in around 1:00p.m. our room wasn't ready yet so we went out onto the balconies off the lobby to take our first view in of the savanna. Huge rocking chairs were outside and it was so peaceful. We took this opportunity to look at all the African Art that is displayed. Some CM's explained some of the pieces while others showed my kids how to play some African games in the library off the lobby.

We ate at Sanaa restaurant and I was in love with my meal. I had the Atlantic Char, under their sustainable fish entree. It was so yummy! When we were done eating our room was ready.

We entered our room, and headed for the balcony to look out at the Savanna and, nothing, no animals. After being there a few days we realized that being on a Savanna does not mean the animals are 24/7 in front of your room. But, every day around 5p.m. they would all come over, eat, roam around and leave. Hence, sunset savanna, towards late afternoon they would show up like clockwork.

Our room was clean and had everything we need, and yes, it's dark. You need to have the lights on, dark appliances, countertops, furniture. We stayed 8 nights and we were still flicking on switches in our room that wouldn't operate anything, but it was no big deal!!!

I loved the bed, firm but not too hard, I loved the small smooshy pillows as well. I loved the shower, my lord, I didn't want to get out. My kids loved the jacuzzi tub!

We did cook breakfast in our room and found it had everything you needed to cook if you wanted too. I loved having the washer/dryer.

We did get the extra towel/trash service after day 4 or 5, I don't remember. Because we are DVC members we did not get daily maid service, but that was fine, we're not slobs!

We went to community hall one day, the kids wanted to play pool, my youngest played play station. We didn't stay long. We saw the arcade but didn't play in it. We went to Kidani pool and even though it seemed smaller than Jambo House pool it had a longer, taller slide. They have a great smaller kids area to play in the water. They have 2 hot tubs, pool bar. We saw the Health Club but, didn't use it.

The busses were fine. Mostly picked up and dropped off at Kidani first. Once or twice had to stand, no big deal. Service was good, only 1 day had to wait long for a bus. Bus rides to parks were fine, not extremely long.

We walked to Jambo house 2 times, once to the pool and once for Boma, on one trip a CM saw us walking and picked us up in her golf cart.

We really had a fabulous vacation, we really love AKL, Kidani is nice and quiet, where Boma is nice but just a little bit more busy.

My one bit of advice is if you book Savanna, make sure you know what savanna you are on and what time of day do the animals come over to your area. Do not think it's going to be 24/7 of animals, it's not. If you are going to be gone at a specific time of day, you might miss the animals, and that would stink if you pay extra just to have some magical animal experience!

Had a blast, will be back!
Old 03-29-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
Tnkrbelle565
DIS Veteran

Am i first?????
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2010, 01:30 PM   #3
Greyhound22
Mouseketeer

We were there last week as well (Sunset Savannah). I was ticked off most times I walked onto our balcany. NO ANIMALS! I keep reading people say "I would not go to AKL, unless I stay on a Savannah". I was one of those people until this past week. I used all of those extra points to see a few cattle for an hour a day. I can see all of the cattle I want by driving around my hometown (Central Illinois). Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Kidani. But, I probably will be staying off of the Savannah next time around. We also were picked up by a CM on our walk to Jambo for a swim. That was a nice surprise. Hope you enjoyed your stay as much as we did (except for the lack of animals).

Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city." -George Burns
Me DW DD15::::: DD13
Old 03-29-2010, 08:51 PM   #4
LeahA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound22 View Post
We were there last week as well (Sunset Savannah). I was ticked off most times I walked onto our balcany. NO ANIMALS! I keep reading people say "I would not go to AKL, unless I stay on a Savannah". I was one of those people until this past week. I used all of those extra points to see a few cattle for an hour a day. I can see all of the cattle I want by driving around my hometown (Central Illinois). Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Kidani. But, I probably will be staying off of the Savannah next time around. We also were picked up by a CM on our walk to Jambo for a swim. That was a nice surprise. Hope you enjoyed your stay as much as we did (except for the lack of animals).
We saw the majority of our animals around late afternoon, we did see some giraffe and other stuff, I actually thought it was going to be an all day thing! I probably wouldn't care if I didn't have savanna in the future, once was enough.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: