Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2009, 11:18 PM   #1
TnTWalter
DIS Veteran

Can I still visit Disney Resorts even though offsite?

I had planned on spending an afternoon at Ft Wilderness to check out for future camping stay [if I can talk DH into it].

I thought it would be fun to do the cane pole fishing [$4 per person], visit the free petting zoo, perhaps even take a hay ride [inexpensive..] or just roam around.

I initially planned on the campfire singalong but found out it's Disney resort guests only. No biggie.

But it made me wonder...I'm assuming I could do the above items but hadn't really thought about it.

Is it ok to visit? Can we pay for the fishing and the hayride and visit the animals or no?

Also I read they offer free parking at Ft Wilderness. Is this true as well?

Thanks so much!!

April 2011 Offsite @ Bonnet Creek
June 2009 Offsite @ Windsor Hills followed by Beach Week @ Anna Maria Island
October 2007 Hawaii @ POLY
January 2006 Connecting Rooms @ POP 50s Sect.
TnTWalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:45 PM   #2
kokomos
Mouseketeer

Yes, you can visit any of the resorts and as far as I know you can do the campfire singalong unless that has been changed. Just tell them you are there to check things out and they will give you a temp parking pass for free.
kokomos is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-25-2009, 11:56 PM   #3
TnTWalter
DIS Veteran

allears.net said it was open to all disney resort guests. i didn't want to break the rules.

Thanks!

Old 05-26-2009, 03:53 AM   #4
johnkhan
Earning My Ears

Yes no problem, you can visit.
johnkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:31 PM   #5
Lisa P.
DIS Veteran

I've read reports that they no longer have a petting zoo, just the pony rides. Haven't seen for myself. They don't ask for resort ID for the campfire sing-along or rentals. Just don't use the pools - that's always the main issue with offsiters. Have a fun visit!!!
Too many WDW/Orlando visits to count, since 1972, both onsite & offsite - havin' fun!
Lisa P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:36 AM   #6
TnTWalter
DIS Veteran

We're going later today and will report back...hoping to do campfire sing-along. We will not use the pools. I promise. I just have always wanted to check it out...thought the sing-along would be a great last night free treat....

And the day activites sound fun too...

And I read that we can do trails take-out...perfect....get pizza for kids and something for us...

I'll report later.

Trish

Old 06-05-2009, 07:42 AM   #7
goofy5
Mouseketeer

oh! wow thanks for info. I didn't know you could do that
goofy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:57 AM   #8
HeatherPage
Proud mommy, wife and WDW fan!
I didn't realize I had stumbled onto here

I was thinking of us doing that our last day in town 6/18. I was even thinking of renting a golf cart there that day, driving around checking out the pony and horse stable areas, checking out the animals, going down to the beach, playground, etc. Then maybe eating at Crockett's(sp) Tavern (or Trails End if we can get a reservation) and finishing up at the campfire and movie (that night The Incredibles is playing!).

Anyway, I figured it would be a relaxing end to our week in Orlando. I say go for it!

HeatherPage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:05 AM   #9
VAN
DIS Veteran

Just some thoughts from someone who has stayed at Ft Wilderness many, many times.

I find it a bit unsettling that people would treat the resort like a public park. Camping is a bit different than staying in a resort in that unless you have a big rig, you cannot lock your items up like you can with a hotel room.

If the campground has a lot of people using the facilities that have not paid to stay there and/or are not even staying at a WDW resort (hence they would hang-out at their own resorts most of the time), as a camper I would be a bit uncomfortable that items could disappear from my spot by someone just "visiting."

I know it can happen regardless and that valuables should be locked in your car, etc.; however, we pay quite a bit of money to camp there and I'm not particularly happy to hear that people plan to come and enjoy the amenities like it is a public park!

I know this may not be a popular opinion, especially for those who have never camped either at Ft. Wilderness or anywhere else ... but that is my opinion. That is why Ft. Wilderness has a guardhouse that you must pass through like the other resorts.

Again, I hope Ft. Wilderness is not viewed as a PUBLIC recreational park. It is not. Those staying there pay almost and sometimes more than the value resorts for a campsite.

Suggestion: If you do want to visit a beautiful and very public park, try Celebration.
VAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:27 AM   #10
reelmom
If I don't get tagged, I am gonna hold my breath until I am blue!
Didn't work. The tag turned blue instead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTWalter View Post
We're going later today and will report back...hoping to do campfire sing-along. We will not use the pools. I promise. I just have always wanted to check it out...thought the sing-along would be a great last night free treat....

And the day activites sound fun too...

And I read that we can do trails take-out...perfect....get pizza for kids and something for us...

I'll report later.

Trish
I can't wait to hear how it went. We are looking for some stuff do do on our last day and this would be perfect.
reelmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:14 AM   #11
HeatherPage

Have a great time everyone!

Old 06-06-2009, 09:50 PM   #12
HeatherPage

By the way "Van"...I am staying at a Disney resort the day I may be visiting Ft. Wilderness. I will not be there to root around your campsite or steal any of your belongings and as Disney has no problem with onsite guests touring their other resort areas as long as there is no "illegal" pool hopping involved, I will go with their final consensus.

Thanks for your concern though.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:12 PM   #13
csss31399
Mouseketeer

Isn't Hoop de Doo Revue and Mickey's BBQ at Ft. Wilderness? I don't think they could book up three shows a night with only Fort guests.

Trish, thanks for all your info this week. We are coming next week and you have given me a great preview into WH and Disney.
csss31399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:01 AM   #14
MomofKatie
Maybe if you leave some chocolate under your pillow the Tag Fairy will visit you!
In the second grade I looked like a mini senior citizen!
"Dairy World?" "Fairy World." "OH, DARN IT!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTWalter View Post
allears.net said it was open to all disney resort guests. i didn't want to break the rules.

Thanks!
The WDW Resort encompasses the resort hotels and the theme parks. If you are visiting the theme parks, even if you are staying at an offsite hotel, you ARE a WDW Resort guest.

Disney allows guests not staying at FW to use the amenities (except the pool) there- if they didn't want others to do so, they wouldn't allow them on FW property without proper ID.
MomofKatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:25 PM   #15
TnTWalter
DIS Veteran

Hey all....sorry I failed to report back! I posted on camping board and

forgot to post here!
Here's my thread with pics!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2196347