Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Teen Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
sexymickey
Mouseketeer

Disney Weight Loss 2

Heyyah

I would like to lose weight before my trip to Disney at christmas.
Yes This is my second thread becase people were saying "you should eat more than 2 meals a day" so i started a new thread. so none of that on this one plz thnk uu!!!

so i would be grateful if you could help

p.s.Thnk uu

Whoever said nothing's impossible never tried to slam a revolving door
:P Roses are red...violets are blue...who cares...So ArE cRaYoNs :P
If swimming is so good for you're figure how do you explain whales?

I tried to slam a revolving door....yeah. Didn't work out so well.
sexymickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
saratogadreamin09
Derek Jeter = <33333333

not trying to be mean, but people were trying to tell you to eat more then two meals a day because it will help you lose weight
saratogadreamin09 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-25-2009, 06:03 PM   #3
♥disneygirl♥
Forever a Disney Princess ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratogadreamin09 View Post
not trying to be mean, but people were trying to tell you to eat more then two meals a day because it will help you lose weight
very true, you have to eat the calories to lose the calories

♥disneygirl♥ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:25 PM   #4
BabyPiglet
Stop Child Abuse NOW
I'm incredibly obsessive about keeping my fingernails clean
See, I have goals I want

You should eat more than two meals a day. It's really common sense. If you eat 5 small meals throughout the day, you store less fat and are simply less hungry.

If you don't want people's opinions, then don't ask.

Personally, next week I'm going on a low carb diet. It's mostly vegetables and lean meats. It's mostly just to start me off, then I'll start adding whole grains into my diet and some good fats like nuts.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:43 PM   #5
PAdisney1995
Can't wait till vacation

Everyone's allowed their own opinion, thought I don't agree with anyone that posted.
However I not getting into it

If you want to loss weight watch what you eat, and exercise. I do Pilates everyday except for Saturday. I also walk our dog and during the summer I'm outside all day.

PAdisney1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:35 PM   #6
Fatphil32
THIS is why you're fatknees are so risqué

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiglet View Post
You should eat more than two meals a day. It's really common sense. If you eat 5 small meals throughout the day, you store less fat and are simply less hungry.
-facepalm-

Everything you said cannot be proven at all by fact. What can be proven is this: fat oxidation is neither increased nor decreased by meal frequency... Translation: You don't burn more or less fat by eating more meals.

How you store less fat? You manipulate insulin levels and eat fewer calories than your body needs. The first one actually isn't quite required, but it helps.

Also, many people feel more full by eating one or two larger meals per day. I'm fasting between the hours of 8 p.m. and 2 p.m. and only eating two meals in about a five hour span. I feel so much fuller even as I get closer to my eating window. Feeling less hungry by eating more meals is purely based on a person to person standpoint.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:40 PM   #7
Fatphil32

Quote:
Personally, next week I'm going on a low carb diet. It's mostly vegetables and lean meats. It's mostly just to start me off, then I'll start adding whole grains into my diet and some good fats like nuts.
The point of a low-carb diet is to avoid insulin spikes. Even foods with whole grains can affect insulin. You want to put your body into ketosis on a low-carb diet, which is where your body uses fat as its main source of energy. It's called ketosis because the by-product of burning fat for energy are ketones.

Also, you want to include healthy fats at the start of your diet. If not, you're body will not go into ketosis quickly. If that happens, you'll start burning muscle for energy and you won't even believe how crappy you'll feel. It'll be absolutely terrible mentally and physically. A lot of healthy fats come from things like extra virgin olive oil, natural peanut butter, fish, nuts, ect. Basically, anything with unsaturated fats.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:42 PM   #8
BabyPiglet
Stop Child Abuse NOW
See, I have goals I want

It's know all around the diet world that eating many, small meals throughout the day is healthier. Am I a nutritionist? No. But it's just common sense.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:48 PM   #9
Fatphil32

Quote:
It's know all around the diet world that eating many, small meals throughout the day is healthier. Am I a nutritionist? No. But it's just common sense.
Common sense, eh? How's this then:

Quote:
Since I talked about meal frequency in the BFFM book review, and how 99% of diet/fitness books keeps reiterating the same old jargon about how several small meals a day 'stokes/fires up your metabolism', I thought I might as well go ahead and clear up the confusion surrounding this subject.

Below is an abbreviated (and unedited) excerpt from my upcoming book, with the working title 'The 16-8 System'. An extensive introduction to my approach can be found here.

(from a chapter called "Dispelling the Myths")

?Eating several small meals a day is superior to a few large meals a day?

Despite being a highly impractical meal pattern for many people, this is by far the most common diet myth around; not only in the fitness community, but also in the mass media. As a consequence, it?s also the hardest diet myth to kill, as it?s being perpetually kept alive and repeated ad infinitum by the supplement industry, nutritionists that can?t put the research into proper context and people that just keeps repeating what the others are saying. Let?s look at what the actual studies can tell us about this topic.

Meal frequency and TEF

You?ve probably heard that eating smalls meals throughout the day ?stokes the metabolic fire? or is the ideal way to eat in order to control cravings and blood sugar; as consequence, this should also be the ideal way to eat for fat burning purposes. This belief is partly based on a gross and blatantly incorrect interpretation of research concerning TEF (Thermic Effect of Food).

Besides body weight, activity patterns and genetics, TEF is part of the equation that determines your metabolic rate for each given day. Paradoxically, ingesting energy costs energy and TEF is the increase in metabolic rate above basal conditions due to the cost of processing food for storage and use (ref). Simply put, every time you eat, the body expends a certain percentage of energy just to process the food you just ate. TEF varies between the macronutrients; protein is given a value of 20-25%, carbs 5% and fat 2-3% (ref). In a mixed diet, TEF is usually estimated to 10% of the calorie intake.

So, every time you eat, TEF comes into play and your metabolic rate increases in response to the meal you just ate. The problem here is that the research has been presented in such a way that it has lead people to believe that the net effect of TEF of several small meals would be greater than that of a few, large meals.

You see, TEF is directly proportional to the calories contained in the meal you just ate (ref). Assuming a diet of 2400 calories, with the same macronutrient composition, eating six small meals of 400 calories or three big meals of 800 calories, TEF will be exactly the same at the end of the day. The only thing that will differ between each meal pattern is the pattern of the spikes; six small meals will equal six small spikes in metabolic rates, while three big meals will equal three big spikes.

So, while eating several small meals a day will per definition ?keep the metabolic furnace burning?, three big meals will ?keep the metabolic furnace blasting?.

How about fat burning? As researchers have found, substrate metabolism is largely dictated by the meal you just ate and the macronutrient composition of your diet - how you split your meals have no consequence for the amount of fat oxidized at the end of the day (ref). Simply put, if you eat six small meals throughout the day, you will store and burn less fat between the meals compared to three meals a day, while you will store and burn more fat with three meals a day. Substrate metabolism will be different, but the net effect will be the same on either meal pattern.

Note that I say ?store?, because fat storage and fat burning is an ongoing process ? with six small meals you will store less AND burn less, and with three meals a day you will store more AND burn more. This is important to remember, as it can and has been twisted into ?you will store more fat with three meals a day?. Sure, if you measure fat storage on a meal per meal basis, which is insane, but on the other hand you will burn more fat in between the meals. Whether you store or lose body fat at the end of the day is a consequence of intake minus expenditure; not meal frequency.

In conclusion, different meal splits have no effect on metabolic rate or fat metabolism.

I must admit that I?m a bit amazed at how people keep missing the boat when it comes to meal frequency and TEF. This myth is also prevalent in the minds of many professionals, which is even more confusing. The research is there, right in front of your eyes if you know where to look, and there?s been several large scale, meticulously controlled and well designed studies on the topic of meal frequency and TEF. And still, people keep believing that several small meals a day will increase your energy expenditure beyond what fewer, large meals will do.

Then again, the powers that be, in this case the supplement industry, loves the fact that the myth is being kept alive. What do people eat when they are being told that they should eat six meals a day? Well, it sure isn?t six home cooked meals. Rather, people are downing meal replacement products, protein shakes and bars in between the main meals. This is a billion dollar industry that is partly being kept alive by erroneous beliefs. Bodybuilding and fitness magazines usually have no interest in presenting accurate information about the topic, as they derive a large part of their financing from supplement ads. In fact, many magazine writers have a vested interest in keeping the myth alive as well, themselves being owners of supplement companies that make millions out of selling protein powders and meal replacement bars.

Is a high frequency meal plan ever warranted? Sure, if your energy expenditure is extremely high, it would probably be a lot more comfortable to consume your calories in several meals rather than a few very large ones. The 300 lbs off-season bodybuilder or endurance athlete that needs 5-6000 calories a day to maintain body weight would be better advised eating 6 meals of 1000 calories rather than 3 meals with 2000 calories. Some other instances, such as some teenagers having a hard time putting on weight, would also warrant a high frequency meal plan simply because it would be hard getting all the calories in three meals.

However, these cases represent a minority of people. Getting enough calories in few meals doesn?t seem to be a problem for the great majority, and going by the feedback the 16-8 system has been getting, it?s definitely a more comfortable way to eat for many people.

Studies cited for this excerpt (in no particular order)

Denzer CM - The effect of resistance exercise on the thermic effect of food - International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism

Bellisle F et al. Meal frequency and energy balance. Br J Nutr. 1997 Apr;77 Suppl 1:S57-70.

Westerterp KR et al. Influence of the feeding frequency on nutrient utilization in man: consequences for energy metabolism. Eur J Clin Nutr. 1991 Mar;45(3):161-9

Taylor MA , Garrow JS. Compared with nibbling, neither gorging nor a morning fast affect short-term energy balance in obese patients ina chamber calorimeter. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2001 Apr;25(4):519-28.

Jones PJ et al. Meal frequency influences circulating hormone levels but not lipogenesis rates in humans. Metabolism. 1995 Feb;44(2):218-23.
Just making sure you read the part where it said, "In conclusion, different meal splits have no effect on metabolic rate or fat metabolism."
Old 05-25-2009, 08:04 PM   #10
BabyPiglet
Stop Child Abuse NOW
See, I have goals I want

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatphil32 View Post
The point of a low-carb diet is to avoid insulin spikes. Even foods with whole grains can affect insulin. You want to put your body into ketosis on a low-carb diet, which is where your body uses fat as its main source of energy. It's called ketosis because the by-product of burning fat for energy are ketones.

Also, you want to include healthy fats at the start of your diet. If not, you're body will not go into ketosis quickly. If that happens, you'll start burning muscle for energy and you won't even believe how crappy you'll feel. It'll be absolutely terrible mentally and physically. A lot of healthy fats come from things like extra virgin olive oil, natural peanut butter, fish, nuts, ect. Basically, anything with unsaturated fats.
Look, I know what I'm talking about. I've researched this a lot. I know that your body will go into ketosis. But if you want to make a lifestyle change, you have to add grains into your diet.
Quote:
Common sense, eh? How's this then:

Just making sure you read the part where it said, "In conclusion, different meal splits have no effect on metabolic rate or fat metabolism."
Eating small meals more often with helps me with hunger cravings. There, better?
Old 05-25-2009, 08:10 PM   #11
Fatphil32

Quote:
Look, I know what I'm talking about. I've researched this a lot. I know that your body will go into ketosis. But if you want to make a lifestyle change, you have to add grains into your diet.

Eating small meals more often with helps me with hunger cravings. There, better?
Look, you must not... I mean, you're whole six meals a day increases fat loss was just proven wrong. I'm just trying to help and make sure you know what you're doing that way you don't mess up a low-carb diet. Messing one up is very dangerous. And grains aren't neccesary for a lifestyle change.

I'm sure it will help you, as it does with many. The point I'm trying to make is, people need to stop saying you have to have six meals a day, when I just completely proved that meal frequency is irrelevant when it comes to weight loss.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:30 PM   #12
BabyPiglet
Stop Child Abuse NOW
See, I have goals I want

Quote:
Look, you must not... I mean, you're whole six meals a day increases fat loss was just proven wrong. I'm just trying to help and make sure you know what you're doing that way you don't mess up a low-carb diet. Messing one up is very dangerous. And grains aren't neccesary for a lifestyle change.
Actually, if you want to make a lifestyle change, it's better for you to add grains into your diet. As long as you pick things that are high in fiber. Things like brown rice and whole wheat pasta are encourage on the later phases of this diet.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:34 PM   #13
Fatphil32

Quote:
Actually, if you want to make a lifestyle change, it's better for you to add grains into your diet. As long as you pick things that are high in fiber. Things like brown rice and whole wheat pasta are encourage on the later phases of this diet.
That's correct, if you're going by the nutrionist stand-point of "the best diet is a well-balanced diet." Which is what I now go by.

And may you link me to a website explaining your diet? I'd like to get a look. I recently got off the Anabolic Diet, where you actually spent Saturday and Sunday eating almost nothing but complex carbs. They replinished your glycogen storages and allowed me to continue weight lifting. Durng the week, it was high fat, high protein, and under 30 carbs.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:49 PM   #14
BabyPiglet
Stop Child Abuse NOW
See, I have goals I want

Quote:
That's correct, if you're going by the nutrionist stand-point of "the best diet is a well-balanced diet." Which is what I now go by.

And may you link me to a website explaining your diet? I'd like to get a look. I recently got off the Anabolic Diet, where you actually spent Saturday and Sunday eating almost nothing but complex carbs. They replinished your glycogen storages and allowed me to continue weight lifting. Durng the week, it was high fat, high protein, and under 30 carbs.
Atkins.

It's not the old version; they've revised it to be more healthy. It's now pretty balanced. It's based on vegetables and lean meats. You can have butter and such, but common sense tell me to avoid that, of course. You're supposed to have 20 net carbs a day (grams of carbs subtracted by fiber) and 12-15 of that is supposed to come from veggies.

www.atkins.com
Old 05-25-2009, 09:00 PM   #15
Fatphil32

Quote:
Atkins.

It's not the old version; they've revised it to be more healthy. It's now pretty balanced. It's based on vegetables and lean meats. You can have butter and such, but common sense tell me to avoid that, of course. You're supposed to have 20 net carbs a day (grams of carbs subtracted by fiber) and 12-15 of that is supposed to come from veggies.

www.atkins.com
Wow, the revised Atkins actually is healthy... I'm kind of surprised. Basically what it's doing is, taking out the carbs until you start to reach optimal weight, then slowly reintroducing them. Then eventually, they'll become part of your lifestyle again. And butter is actually healthy. Just make sure under the ingredients section it does not list partially hydrogenated oil. That's keyword for hidden trans fat. It's what is in any kind of peanut butter that's not natural. It will hinder fat loss.

Also, the whole lose weight in 14 days thing with them is such a marketing tool. I can garuntee you anyone who is eating carbs right now that will go onto that diet will lose weight immedaitely. That's because with only 20g of a carbs per day, you're body isn't going to store much water weight. With my low-carb diet, I lost six pounds in the first two days, all in water weight.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: