Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
FairyDust2008
DIS Veteran

Question about Beach & Disneyland

Okay, so we can't come to California for our 1st time and not see the Pacific Ocean. We are arriving in the morning to LAX. How would you suggest we see the ocean before driving to Disneyland? Would you rent a car and take a scenic route to Disneyland? Is that possible? The problem is we will be coming straight from the airport with luggage, etc and this might be our only time to see the ocean before starting our trip/vacation at Disneyland. Or would you suggest taking one of our days and doing the beach during our trip? I just hate to waste a day of Disneyland fun because all I want to do is walk in the sand, put my feet in the Pacific, snap some pics and see some stuff around the beach. I'm stumped on how to plan this. When we went to Orlando to WDW last year, we didn't do the beach but we have been to beaches on the East Coast soooooooooooo much that it wasn't a necessity. However, that being said, we have never seen the Pacific Ocean so we don't want to leave California without seeing it. I've heard Newport is the closest too. I'm just trying to plan out. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. THANKS SO MUCH DISBOARDERS
FairyDust2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds

I would look up Huntington Beach and make the trip there if you have the time. Not a long drive and a great beach to play at. Eat at Ruby's.

Jack
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-25-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
FairyDust2008
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the suggestion of Huntington Beach. We thought of that area as well and after looking, I think I've decided on Huntington. Thanks also for the dining suggestion. Very cute place! I think we may just take one of our down days and make it a beach day and see some sights outside of Disneyland. That still leaves us 5 days at Disneyland. I think the break for the beach will be a nice treat! Our family adores the beach so it will be great fun for us to be at the ocean and to see the Pacific to boot, oh..............I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks again for the reply!
Old 05-25-2009, 12:34 PM   #4
FairyDust2008
DIS Veteran

Plus, we'll be tired from an early flight and time zone change and I think it would be better to head right to Disneyland and get settled, have a nice dinner at Disneyland and get ready for our 1st day of park fun!!! The break in the week heading to the beach is a good plan for us so we are going with that I still would love to see some more tips, responses if anyone would care to chime in-THANKS!
Old 05-25-2009, 12:38 PM   #5
MagicalMomAZ
DIS Veteran

I don't know how much time you need...but I need a LOT. So we always take our last day to hit the beach & chill.

Some info for you to google:

Huntington Beach has ample parking ($10/day) - it's HUGE & besides Ruby's (burgers) on the pier there's 2 great sit down restaurants on the boardwalk. Also there's a concession stand.

Newport Beach is the next one down & parking can be tough but you can rent bikes to ride the boardwalk & there are a LOT of awesome dining near the pier. Ruby's too. The Crab Cooker is my favorite.

And then there's Balboa Beach, this is on the NB peninsula - across the road from the beach is the Fun Zone & boats take you to Catalina or just a tour around the bay. Waves can be HUGE here & this is where "The Wedge" is - the surfers like it. Parking here I THINK is $8/day, again ample parking. Ruby's at this pier too!

MY PERSONAL choice is to take a full day. Some days we did all 3 beaches, some days just one. Often we just rent a house near one of them & skip DL! But it REALLY is a nice way to end a hectic vacation bc let's face it, no matter how much you love Disney, it can still be overstimulating at times - the beach is a nice way to round it out.

Disneyland Adventures so far:

'80 - '83 - '87 - '89 - '93 - '96 - '97 - '02 - '08 - '10
DD, 14yo: '02 - '08 - '10 - '12(school)
DS, 8yo '08 - '10

Last edited by MagicalMomAZ; 05-25-2009 at 12:44 PM.
MagicalMomAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:12 PM   #6
Canyon girl
Disney Homeschool Mom

We are taking one day to go to HB. We are just going to rent a car for that one day from Alamo at DTD.

Give me a Dole Whip and a Churro, and I'm a happy camper!

My Little Corner of the Internet

DLR - NYE 1990/1991, WDW - 1991/1992, WDW - 1996, DLR DLH CL - Sept. 2007, DLR GCH - Oct. 2008, DLR DLH - Feb. 2009, WDW CR Tower - Nov/Dec 2009, DLR HOJOs/GCH - Nov. 2010 for 15th Anniversary!!! DLR PPH - Feb 2011 Mom & Kids Trip May 2011 - Star Tours Preview Event DLR PPH - Sept. 2011
Canyon girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:15 PM   #7
DisneyFairytale
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyDust2008 View Post
Okay, so we can't come to California for our 1st time and not see the Pacific Ocean. We are arriving in the morning to LAX. How would you suggest we see the ocean before driving to Disneyland? Would you rent a car and take a scenic route to Disneyland? Is that possible? The problem is we will be coming straight from the airport with luggage, etc and this might be our only time to see the ocean before starting our trip/vacation at Disneyland. Or would you suggest taking one of our days and doing the beach during our trip? I just hate to waste a day of Disneyland fun because all I want to do is walk in the sand, put my feet in the Pacific, snap some pics and see some stuff around the beach. I'm stumped on how to plan this. When we went to Orlando to WDW last year, we didn't do the beach but we have been to beaches on the East Coast soooooooooooo much that it wasn't a necessity. However, that being said, we have never seen the Pacific Ocean so we don't want to leave California without seeing it. I've heard Newport is the closest too. I'm just trying to plan out. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. THANKS SO MUCH DISBOARDERS
Regardless of which disrection you end up driving to, the beach isn't a long ways away and is outstanding! I wouldn't take an entire day off, a couple of hours will be enough to enjoy the beach and the sand.
DisneyFairytale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:55 PM   #8
TamiV
Mouseketeer

We're taking a day off from the Parks to enjoy California as well. DS wants to see Hollywood and the Walk of Fame - we've been before but he was too little to remember, we'll eat at In-n-Out burger - never been, and we're thinking the Santa Monica pier. It's farther away, but we're planning to have dinner with some friends in LA so it's not far from then. Atill debating on which beach is best, think I'll google them all and then decide!
Old 05-25-2009, 09:52 PM   #9
MagicalMomAZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamiV View Post
we'll eat at In-n-Out burger - never been,

There's a SECRET to In-N-Out....
http://www.badmouth.net/in-n-outs-secret-menu/

Disneyland Adventures so far:

'80 - '83 - '87 - '89 - '93 - '96 - '97 - '02 - '08 - '10
DD, 14yo: '02 - '08 - '10 - '12(school)
DS, 8yo '08 - '10
MagicalMomAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:02 PM   #10
mechurchlady
DIS Veteran

Actually some things about In N Out. They will not fry burgers in the deep fryer. Their french fry cookers are dedicated soy and gluten free friers. The protein style is an excellent burger as I am gluten free and only get sick there if some idiot does not watch out for cross contamination.
mechurchlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:51 AM   #11
keptwoman
Mouseketeer

Ohhh good to know. Thanks!
Old 05-26-2009, 08:18 AM   #12
TamiV
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicalMomAZ View Post
There's a SECRET to In-N-Out....
http://www.badmouth.net/in-n-outs-secret-menu/
MMMM...those pictures made me really hungry!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: