Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2009, 05:58 PM   #16
anetnmike
Why yes, I was named after a mousketeer!

RV, I agree, your intro to your TR is really awesome and very inspiring! Sometimes you just have to take that leap of faith and go for it. I could almost feel your wife's grief begin to lighten then minute you said you pushed that "book cruise" button!
The weeks of anticipation and planning (and list making) are terrific therapy!Not to mention the trip itself!
Old 05-30-2009, 07:54 PM   #17
RoyalVizier
I'm sorry... I'm a gutless flip-flopper
No wonder I never get my wife flowers... they're so complicated
My favorite spot is right in front of Italy
So Bleahlicious

Cruise Therapy: An Infusion of Magic
June 20th Eastern Caribbean DCL Cruise
Tortola * St. Thomas * Castaway Cay

Infuse – transitive verb
Pronunciation: \in-ˈfyüz\
Meaning: 1 a: to cause to be permeated with something that alters usually for the better.

The Ollie Factor

There has been one thing… one single thing that has kept my wife from coming completely unglued during all of this drama and trauma, and here it is:

No folks, it isn’t me, the loving and supportive husband, but it is the new pup of the house. His name is Ollie, and he is the sunshine, the omnipotent dapple lover-bean, the weenie of her eye, the seal-like elephant-eared babe, the darlingest doxie-lovin’ love pocket, and the love of her life. This pup has completely altered my wife’s life since his arrival into our household in October of 2007. She feels (and I admit I have to agree with her) that God brought the little sweet baby into our lives, that God had his little soul on hold just for her, so that she would have something to console her when the times began to get rough, because his arrival into our lives wasn’t expected or planned.

In early of October of 2007 my wife and daughter were browsing in a Christian bookstore, and they ran into a young college student who was perusing the shelves. She had a little dapple doxie in her arm and my wife and daughter went nuts over him. Upon catching sight of him in the young woman’s arms, they reacted the same way I react when someone dangles an Oreo Earthquake sundae from DQ in my line of sight. My wife and I had always talked about what breed of dog we would want when we were ready for another pup, and we had pretty much settled on a dachshund. So she got to talking to this young lady, and the young lady said that she would email my wife the breeder’s information that she got this little baby from. So they exchanged email addresses, gave the little baby a little more love, and then parted ways.

Well the next day, we got an email from this young lady, and basically, she wrote that she adopted the doxie because she had just experienced the untimely death of her brother, and she thought that taking care of a little baby pup would help her deal with the grief, but unfortunately it was having the opposite effect. Between her emotional upheaval and tending to her college courses, she was struggling to give the pup the home that he needed, so she knew how wild my wife went over him, so she asked us if we would take him. Well… that was it. My wife begged… and pleaded… and reasoned… and groveled at me. I watched her face and looked into her eyes as she reasoned with me, all the while attempting to block out the barking and ruckus and clickity-clacking of paws from our already established dogs, THREE OF THEM! Honestly, it didn’t really take all that much convincing. So this little dapple doxie fell into our lives.

Now, there are no words that I could type to fully express how my wife feels about this dog. She feels love and adoration towards this dog that is rivaled by no other. They depend on each other; communicate with each other in a way that I have never witnessed between K9 and human. They are inseparable. When I get out our monstrosity of a vacuum cleaner, she even protects him by carrying him around in his brand new baby sling:

Here is a little sample of what I hear throughout the day: (this must be read/said in the most repulsively sweetly honey-dripping baby talk humanly possible)

Oh you widdle baby cake. You widdle pocket full of love. He’s a widdle pocket full of love! Aren’t you? He just wants his momma. Oh my, baby loves love, the little love loves love. Oh baby, do you have a widdle fuzz-be in your widdle ear, let me get it. He’s a widdle snug bug, yes he is, I just want to kiss his little temple and give him kisses on his snoot.

Okay, you get the point, but believe me I could go on and ON and ON! So anyway…

The longest she has been away from Ollie is two nights, and you’d think that we had left the country and were never going to see him again. So this 7-night cruise is looming, and although she is excited and wants to go, there is trepidation and anxiety about leaving the baby alone with her mom. We know that he will be well taken care of, but she is going to miss him terribly. He sleeps with us in our bed every night. He roots his way under the covers and sleeps nestled at her side (meanwhile I’m clutching at the sheets trying to avoid plummeting to the floor).

So when I write the actual trip report I am going to keep track of how many times Ollie is mentioned during our week on the sea. At the top of my notebook I’m going to write, “I miss baby.” and keep little tick marks next to it. I’ve mentioned the insane amount of lists my wife has going. Well one item on one of those lists is to call AT&T to see what the ship to shore rates are so she can check on the little love pocket.

So that’s where we are… three weeks from today. The suitcase is in the middle of the bedroom. A duffle is on top of it already filled with a 4-load bottle of laundry detergent, a medical kit, and a nightlight.

The waiting game continues…

Up Next: A Late Start in Life
March 17th, 2007 - 7 Night Eastern Cruise Aboard the Disney Magic -Trip Report
June 20th, 2009 - 7 Night Eastern Cruise Aboard the Disney Magic - Trip Report
November 28th, 2010 - 4 Night Cruise Aboard the Disney Wonder
February 12, 2011 - 7 Night Eastern Cruise Aboard the Disney Magic
November 15th, 2014 - 7 Night Eastern Cruise Aboard the Disney Fantasy

Upcoming Sailings:
November 14th, 2015 - 7 Night Western Cruise Aboard the Disney Fantasy

Last edited by RoyalVizier; 05-31-2009 at 07:37 AM.
RoyalVizier is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-30-2009, 10:52 PM   #18
anetnmike

and a full color portrait of the pocket full of love ready to go with that luggage too!
who wouldn't fall in love with that adorable puppy? how can you possibly resist?
Old 05-31-2009, 05:50 AM   #19
TotallyAngelic
Disney Addict

So sorry to hear about the terrible time you folks have been having - it has really been tough for you. We have had a horrible time of it lately also- losing my Dad, Nan and my sister within a year, and I know what you mean about needing a vacation to preserve your sanity! Hopefully the Disney cruise will be just what you need to get you through all of this.

Looking forward to hearing all about your cruise - amazing writing style by the way!
TotallyAngelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:17 AM   #20
RoyalVizier
So Bleahlicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLccweems View Post
I'll be on the same cruise as you and your family! I sure hope I get a change to meet up with all of you.
Hey RL, I'm RV! It's getting close, isn't it?!

I shouldn't be too difficult to find. I'll be the one that has melted into a pool of serenity as the stress probably very literally seeps from my body by the Goofy pool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anetnmike View Post
and a full color portrait of the pocket full of love ready to go with that luggage too!
RIGHT! She just said yesterday that she needs to print a few pictures to take with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyAngelic View Post
Looking forward to hearing all about your cruise - amazing writing style by the way!
Thanks so much. Looking forward to sharing it!!

Upcoming Sailings:

Last edited by RoyalVizier; 06-01-2009 at 06:05 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:39 AM   #21
j2bmickey
Pirates and Disney is the life for me.

Just had to stop by and check the most recent postings. Wow!!!! Talk about a series of rough waves, and someone who needs a little Magic. Our prayers will be with you tonight.

On a lighter note, I will be most interested to see the post report and how Tortola compares to St Martin. Also, don't worry about rough weather. That was some of the best relaxing we did on our first cruise.

June 2010, First dive at EPCOT.
May 9-16th 2009, Disney 7-night Eastern, The triplets sail again Trip Report
Thanksgiving 2008, First trip to Disneyland.
October 20-27th 2007, Disney 7-night Western, First but by no means last Disney Cruise Trip Report
j2bmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:56 AM   #22
my3m
DIS Veteran

Another fan here, subscribing
Second Magic (Eastern) - "3rd DCL Cruise", 10/28-11/04, 2006
WDW/Universal Studios/Island of Pleasure 11/04-11, 2006

my3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:42 AM   #23
RoyalVizier
So Bleahlicious

Cruise Therapy: An Infusion of Magic
June 20th Eastern Caribbean DCL Cruise
Tortola * St. Thomas * Castaway Cay

Infuse – transitive verb
Pronunciation: \in-ˈfyüz\
Meaning: 1 a: to cause to be permeated with something that alters usually for the better.

A Late Start in Life

I live in Florida. I’ve been here for a little over eight years, so I am fairly well established into the Florida lifestyle: I go to the beach in the winter, I sweat in the summer and tend to stay indoors, I make it over to Disney World more often than most probably, I scream at I-4 traffic, but in one area I am sorely lacking. Flip Flops. I don’t wear flip flops (or sandals, whatever the correct term), and I have never ever ever owned a pair. It’s been tennis shoes all the way. Every kind of weather, every temperature, all tennis shoes all the time. That is… until now!

It finally happened. The other day, at age 32, I bought my first pair of flip flops. And get this… I also bought my second pair at the same time. So I am assuming, taking the rest of the male population into consideration, that I am getting a very late start in life. I know this. But here’s the thing… up until this point I hated flip flops. I just didn’t think they were comfortable. But I believe that I have discovered that I just never tried on the right pair of flip flops. When I think of “flip flops” I think of these three dollar plastic thingies. Those are what I have tried on in the past and you might as well have driven a nail into a 12X6” piece of plywood and fastened it to my feet with a rubber band. Talk about hard, and nasty, and uncomfortable, and they wouldn’t stay on. I’d walk like duck-boy on drugs, and forget about walking up or down stairs. If stairs were in the picture you’d better have an ambulance nearby.

So somehow it took me 32 years of life to discover that there are a different breed of flip flops. Flip flops that caress the foot, hug the toes on a light cushion of air, like walking on a cloud where angels frolic and sip fruit punch all day. Deluxe flippies, not three dollar plastic pain devices. We were out shopping at a local shoe store the other day. Wife and daughter were looking for some shoes to match brand new dresses for formal night so I let them do their thing and I wandered over to the men’s shoes. And there they were… Bluefin sandals of all kinds and a seed of intrigue and wonder burst within me. So I tried a pair on, just to see if my taste had changed over the latter portion of my flippie-free life. I slipped them on, and instead of cringing and wanting nothing more than to shake the vile monstrosities off of my feet, I melded into them, and when I took a few steps, it was okay, not cringe-inducing as I expected. So I tried on another, and another, and another. I had boxes and boxes strewn around me there in the aisle, and that was how my wife found me. My face froze. In all of my flippie euphoria I’d totally forgotten that I was in a public place and that she was nearby, and my face said as much. You’d think she’d have caught me in our pantry with about 253 boxes of Girl Scout thin mints scattered wildly about, all in different states of devourment.

She gave a start, gave a gasp, and nearly came to tears with happiness for she had been wanting me to have at least one pair to wear around the house or to the pool if nothing else and here I was, in a pair right there in front of her. It was as if she was seeing me for the first time. So I bought not one… but two pair. One casual and one a bit nicer.

So now, after living in Florida for eight years, and after three cruises, I now have cruise shoes! My wife can’t believe it. Now if I just go out and buy about five or sixteen or so more pair, then I’ll have just about as many as her.

Upcoming Sailings:
Old 06-02-2009, 08:54 AM   #24
OlliesMomma
Earning My Ears

In Defense of the Ollie Factor!

Hello All-
Thought it was about time that I got my own user name on the boards. It has been several years now and I have been living the DIS boards through my DH, RoyalVizier (RV).

Now just to clear a few things up....Yes, Ollie my most handsome baby dapple beanie boy has been what has kept me from going totally insane. DH is correct on that aspect. AND I can attest that ALL of DH's accusations ARE true as posted in the Ollie Factor!

Now as for the flip flop update?? Well, lets just say that it remains to be seen if DH will actually wear the two pairs of flip flops that he purchased?? If he wears them, I know that he can't do this little jig in them....

Hopefully, as time goes on he will get more and more used to them but for now I'm just counting down the days that he has to break them in!! 18 days and counting.....

It's ALL about the lil' Loveys! LoveyLoaves Rescue & Sanctuary
OlliesMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:23 AM   #25
anetnmike

Welcome to the DIS!
Sister, you do not have to justify your love or obsession for that adorable puppy You go girl!
I am still trying to figure out how your husband has lived in Fla all these years without letting his feet out of shoes to breathe! When I lived down there I never wanted to put shoes on!
Wow, you guys are gonna have to sunscreen those feet since they are going to be "out" now.
18 days is not very long to go!!!
Old 06-02-2009, 12:29 PM   #26
Evette
Mouseketeer

Location: Elgin, IL (formerly Anaheim, CA Home Of Disneyland)

Enjoying your pre-trip report very much. I'm sorry things have been rough for you and your family. I can't wait to hear how your cruise is since my family and I will be on the Sept. 12 Eastern to Tortola. This will be our first cruise and I'm very excited about it!

October 2014 - Aulani, July 2014 - VGC @ DLR, September 2012 - BLT, March 2012 - VGC @ DLR, June 2011 - Wonder To Alaska, November 2010 - BLT, September 2009 -Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean, September 2009 - SSR (1st time "home"), January 2008 - Wilderness Lodge, January 1998 - Off Site (Give Kids The World), Disneyland - Too many times to count (lived in Anaheim)
Evette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:00 PM   #27
MagicMe
DIS Veteran

yeah!!! Another RV trip report
Disney Dream/AKL - JUL14; Disney Fantasy - SEP12; Disney Dream/OKW - OCT11; Disney Wonder - Alaska AUG11; Disney Magic WBTA - Sep10; Disney Magic - Sep08; WL - Dec07-MVMCP; OKW - Oct/Nov06-MNSSHP; Disney Wonder - Aug06; OKW - Sept05; Disneyland - Jun04; Offsite - Dec03-MVMCP; Poly - Aug02; POR/Wonder - Aug00; POR - Jul99; And many more...

MagicMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:34 PM   #28
RoyalVizier
So Bleahlicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliesMomma View Post
Thought it was about time that I got my own user name on the boards. It has been several years now and I have been living the DIS boards through my DH, RoyalVizier (RV).
Oh dear... this can't be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anetnmike View Post
Sister, you do not have to justify your love or obsession for that adorable puppy You go girl!
I can see how this is gonna be right now. Ganged up on in my own thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evette View Post
I can't wait to hear how your cruise is since my family and I will be on the Sept. 12 Eastern to Tortola. This will be our first cruise and I'm very excited about it!
How exciting! I remember how I felt during the weeks leading up to our very first cruise! Awesome choice of DCL for your very first cruise ever! Good job! I'll try my best to give a complete and entertaining account of everything. If you need something to tide you over until I get back, our previous 7 night trip report from two years ago is down in my signature if you want to have a peek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMe View Post
yeah!!! Another RV trip report
Wow, fans!

This is super good practice for the paparazzi on Golden Mickey's night!

Upcoming Sailings:
Old 06-03-2009, 07:13 PM   #29
TiggersPal
I am an adventurer
I have to DIS to talk to my sister
Fabulous by 50!!!

Bump and subscribe

Here just making sure I'm subscribed when the writing begins again! Thanks RV - I can't wait for you to enjoy your trip!
Old 06-03-2009, 08:11 PM   #30
RoyalVizier
So Bleahlicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggersPal View Post
Thanks RV - I can't wait for you to enjoy your trip!
I can't wait either! Thanks for reading!

So today was a fairly miserable day until... IT TURNED INTO DOC DAY!

Docs and luggage tags came in the mail, and the sun broke through the clouds of idiocy that filled the day, and the angels sang.

Upcoming Sailings:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: