Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2009, 02:40 AM   #1
Artoo
Mom to a beautiful African Grey

Question Seriously, are the ANY good weeks in December to go?

My mom casually mentioned to me yesterday that she was thinking about taking a trip to WDW this December. Of course, she had to practically pull my arm to get me interested (yeah, right!). As self-designated pre-planner, I just have to know if the entire month of December is a bust due to crowds. I've only been there only right after Christmas, but was too young to notice.
Stories, advice, photos of crowds, etc. would be greatly apprreciated! Thanks!!!

Artoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:55 AM   #2
dolphindan1
What is a Tag?
dang no TAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artoo View Post
My mom casually mentioned to me yesterday that she was thinking about taking a trip to WDW this December. Of course, she had to practically pull my arm to get me interested (yeah, right!). As self-designated pre-planner, I just have to know if the entire month of December is a bust due to crowds. I've only been there only right after Christmas, but was too young to notice.
Stories, advice, photos of crowds, etc. would be greatly apprreciated! Thanks!!!
We always go early Dec and its great...about 7 trips...true crowds have grown in the past 10 years but our longest wait this past Dec was 20 minutes for TSM and we rode 3 times in that day. We did see Soarin at 60 minutes about 7pm one night but sat there eating and it dropped to 30 minutes and in reality only took about 20...TT was at 35 the whole day at Epcot...Also we usually go the 2nd week of Dec which is POP week and there are no issues with that. This past year we went the week before Christmas week and crowds did grow the last weekend and I did find it a bit more crowded than the week earlier the year before...

I wouldnt hesitate to go again in early Dec and wanted to this year but my wifes job said no Dec vacations...so We are planning the week bfore Thanksgiving week...I hope its the same or better crowd wise
dolphindan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-21-2009, 03:56 AM   #3
ty93850
Mouseketeer

I belive I read in the Unoffical Guide that the week right after Thanksgiving is a slow week. I have not been there during that time so can not say for sure.
2003 Wilderness lodge took the girls first trip to the world
1995 off site epcot only
1994 off site first trip for my wife majic kingdom
1980 contempary
1977 first trip
ty93850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:57 AM   #4
dolphindan1
What is a Tag?
dang no TAG

Oh yeah we collected FP's but only used them a few times I came home with a handful of unused FP's as they just were not needed. I even gave some away.
dolphindan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:14 AM   #5
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

The first 3 weeks up till about December 19th are great.Once the 19th comes crowds build to absolute peak.Disney is the busiest all year during Christmas-New Years
Old 05-21-2009, 04:31 AM   #6
P.I. Squirrel
DIS Veteran

IMO, early December is the best time of year to go to WDW. Crowds are lighter. The weather is cooler with less humidity. The parks close earlier this time of year, so you have an opportunity to do other things outside the park. The decorations are up. The Osborne Lights are at DHS.

I could go on and on....

Even Christmas week would not be what I would consider awful crowds, with the exception of Christmas Day. They are heavy, but similar to a summer holiday.

P.I. Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:44 AM   #7
ms*mountaineer
DIS Veteran

Early december was very nice! our trip overlapped a few days with the Pop Warner crowd, but we didn't notice them at all. The weather was all over the place (cool one day, hot another) - but the crowds were very manageable. Just to walk around the parks you would say "wow this is crowded!" but we didn't have a bit of trouble riding what we wanted with hardly any line (maybe folks weren't riding much!). We did use FPs wisely and started our days early.
ms*mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:21 AM   #8
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

Just beware the Cheerleaders and/or Pop Warner. Notorious for ruining many a Disney family vacation.
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:04 AM   #9
Ron from Michigan
Our first Grandchild !!!

We have gone the first two weeks of December since 1990 and always had a great time. The parks are never that busy (except for the weekends). We will be there again this year for 10 days.
Ron from Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:08 AM   #10
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleromulus View Post
Just beware the Cheerleaders and/or Pop Warner. Notorious for ruining many a Disney family vacation.
I've gone during PW and never had a problem, but I stayed at Boardwalk. They usually stay at All Stars or Port Orleans. The first full week of December usually is not bad crowd wise.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:31 AM   #11
CarolAnnB
DIS Veteran

We have gone early December and it was a wonderful time to visit. The only thing I have seen is that on the weekend that they tape the Christmas Parade, which I think last year was the first weekend, was very very crowded in the Magic Kingdom. I have not been there for that, that is just what I saw on some threads in the past.

So sad ~ no countdown
CarolAnnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:57 AM   #12
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

Very first week in December! We went in 2007 and it was amazing. NO lines, NO crowds (except on the last weekend we were there at MK), and the whole place is already decorated for Christmas. Yes, Pop Warner shows up in the middle of that week usually but we were at Pop Century and I think they all normally stay in the All Stars with some overflow to Pop. it REALLY wasn't bad at all. I think the last day we were there we saw a gaggle of little cheerleaders, that's it? I highly recommend going then! Also, avoid the park that is filming the Christmas parade and you'll be fine.
disneygirlinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:24 AM   #13
CathieArms
DIS Veteran

A few years ago, we went the first or second week of December and it was DEAD. We didn't have *any* wait on *any* rides. Many times the expected wait time would say "30 minutes" or whatever, but we'd get in line and zoom straight to the front. No need for fastpasses or anything. It was awesome. Also, we didn't have *any* ADRs and were able to call that morning or afternoon for ADRs and got in with no problem at all.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:58 AM   #14
vatali
Mouseketeer

We have gone every year except last year for quite a while now around the week of XMAS. We have done 17-26 mostly. Once we did 19-27. I can tell you that the 17-24 is perfectly fine. Maybe a little crowded, but nothing that I wasn't prepared for. On the 25th you need to have a game plan. We always do MK. it is the one day we plan our EMH. after about 11 it really bogs down there. If you have already seen the parade, best to go back to the hotel and enjoy a private XMAS at that point. 26-27 is simply insane. the best description I can give you is that in MK, it took 45 mins to go from the entrance to the end of main street with a stroller. After doing that once, we vowed to never go back after XMAS. Usually the 26th is downtown disney, then airport day for us.

May 04 - Off-site, Dec 06 - POR, Dec 07 - POFQ, Dec 09 - POR, Dec 11 - POFQ, Dec 12 - Contemporary, April 14 - DLR
vatali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:41 AM   #15
zackiedawg
WEDway Peoplemover Rider

Early December isn't bad at all. The parks are never empty anymore, but they aren't anywhere near peak. I use MK as a judge of the crowd level, since afternoons there tend to be one of the most crowded parks on a weekend.

Here's Dec 9, 2007:

Here's Dec 14, 2008:

Compared to July 2008:

It's not bad in early December at all. And the Pop Warner thing usually never bothers me - I've been there at the same time for 3 years...and as long as you're not staying in the same resort, I don't see any issues at all. They don't really make any difference in park crowds, other than the fact that more of the young girls in the parks are wearing cheerleader uniforms or tops. Waits for most rides are in the 15min-30min arena, with the super-popular rides getting up to 45min on standby. That means moderate to average crowds, as opposed to low or high crowds.

Tags
crowds, december, helppp!!!!!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: