Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 07:32 PM   #31
v_gan
I can go the distance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpndka View Post
Great review so far! Looking forward to next installment. Thanks!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenvenza View Post
I dont know what it was about the veggie burgers at Pop! - But I think it was the best veggie burger I have ever eaten! So good!
Seriously! That was a really good veggie burger. If I have other choices, I'll pick anything but a veggie burger, but this one was really good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistlewhileyouwork View Post
Great review!! This is really going to help DH and I plan where we would like to eat in August. THANKS!!

Question... Did you call ahead and talk to any of the chefs and let them know that you were vegan and vegetarian?
No, I didn't call ahead. I always mean to, and I was especially planning on calling ahead for 'Ohana. But we've never had any trouble before, so I don't really see the benefit of it. I suppose if you were wanting a certain soup or some other dish made without dairy or with vegetable stock it may be worth it, though. I remember reading that someone had gotten a chef to make a batch of the strawberry soup at 1900 Park Fare without the dairy.

All I ever do is have them note 'vegan' and 'vegetarian' when I'm making our ADRs. I was given a hint that they aren't able to note 'vegan' on reservations, so you should note that you have an allergy to dairy, egg, and shellfish. But I regret to say that this really just created confusion when the chef came. They all knew what vegan meant, and they were happy to help us with that. So I'll just continue to note 'vegan' on our ADRs in the future, which they are able to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmears View Post
Great reviews and photos so far. I'm looking forward to rest of your dining reviews. Thanks for posting!
Thanks for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsturtle View Post
great reviews and really nice photos!!! looking forward to crystal palace. loving the vegetarian reviews. these are a great help as my sister is vegetarian and her husband vegan- i need to consider options for them on our upcoming trip. anxiously standing by for your next review....

thanks!!!
Crystal Palace review will be up tonight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tloveswdw View Post
This is a great TR! We are a veggie family, (we strive to lead a vegan life), so this is great to read!

Great pics!
Thank you! I'm glad you're enjoying it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiglet View Post
Great reviews!
Thanks!
WDW - Pop Century Resort - May 2010 (21 years old)
WDW - Caribbean Beach Resort - March 2010 (21 years old)
WDW - Pop Century Resort - May 2009 (20 years old)
Universal Orlando - Offsite - October 2008 - (20 years old)
WDW, Univeral Orlando - All Star Movies - September 2007 (19 years old)
WDW, Univeral Orlando - All Star Music - July 2002 (14 years old)
WDW, Univeral Orlando - Offsite - January 2001 (13 years old)
Disneyland, Universal Hollywood - Offsite - January 2000 (12 years old)
WDW, Universal Orlando, Sea World - Offsite - January 1991 (3 years old)

Spring 2014 Disney College Program Blog (Concierge): Going the Distance - My Disney College Program Experience

Vegan and Vegetarian Dining Reviews
More Vegan and Vegetarian Dining Reviews
Two Vegans, Too Much Food
Even More Vegan and Vegetarian Dining Reviews
Old 05-23-2009, 08:18 PM   #32
v_gan
I can go the distance!

Day 4 - Crystal Palace

Today was our full Magic Kingdom day! So, of course, this was our first day of rain Luckily that didn't start till later in the day!

We just barely made it in time to watch the opening show. After the show, we got a few Photopass pictures made and headed to our #1 Must-Do: Pirates of the Caribbean. After Pirates, we headed to Frontierland and got Fastpasses for BTMRR, then got in line. We were able to ride twice without getting off! It was great On our way to Liberty Squaure, we ran into Donald in his Davy Crockett outfit, so we stopped for pictures. Then we rode our all-time favorite: The Haunted Mansion. After HM, it was Peter Pan FPs, Carousel, Snow White, Mickey and Minnie's houses, the train, Splash Mountain (we got lucky and got there right after they re-opened after being broken down - so no line!), and Splash FPs.

Then we headed to the Crystal Palace for our 11:45 ADR!

It was a madhouse at the podium for a while, since I suppose they had opened for lunch just a short time before. But we found a seat on the porch and waited for our names to be called:

View from our seats:

Tip: Be sure you either get a seat or stand close to the podium/entrance, or you won't hear you name being called. It's very loud out there, so it's hard to hear the hostess. We barely heard her when our name was called, but luckily Jon noticed. We only waited about 10 minutes.

We were led into the dining room on the left upon entering the restaurant, and our table had been decorated with confetti in the shape of a heart!

Our server saw me taking pictures of the table, so he offered to take one of the two of us:

Here are some pictures of the view from our table..

To the left:

To the right:

Out the window:

Random pictures taken throughout the restaurant:

Topiaries directly in front of you upon entering.

Looking up upon entering:

Buffet area details:

Our server initially didn't notice the dietary requirments on our ticket. He came back after taking our drink orders and asked if we would like to see a chef. I said yes, and the chef came out a few minutes later. He walked us through the buffet, noting what was vegan and what wasn't. I don't believe I was offered any type of dessert (like non-dairy ice cream) here, but I can't remember.

When we got back to our seats, Eeyore was coming around. So we waited for him before going back to the buffet. Time to whip out those autograph books!

Pictures with the characters:

Eeyore

Tigger

Piglet

Pooh

(Horrible picture of me, by the way)

All the characters spent just as much time with us as any of the kids in the room. It was a lot of fun, and I enjoyed finally getting to meet P-p-piglet

I'm at my picture limit, so the food will be showcased in the next post!

Crystal Palace, continued next!

Spring 2014 Disney College Program Blog (Concierge): Going the Distance - My Disney College Program Experience

Last edited by v_gan; 08-07-2009 at 02:36 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-23-2009, 08:29 PM   #33
gardengirl628
I'm sorry I bit you....and pulled your hair....and punched you in the face.

That's not a bad picture of you!!! All those pictures are great! Can't wait for more!

Dana
WDW-offsite 1977, 1984; Dixie Landings November 1998; CSR June 2007; AKL November/December 2009; BWV/Western Magic/BLT February 2011; BCV July 2011; BLT/3 day Dream October 2012; HHI April 2013; BW August 2013
Old 05-23-2009, 08:58 PM   #34
v_gan
I can go the distance!

Day 4 - Crystal Palce (cont.)

We didn't wait for all the characters to come by before hitting the buffet, by the way. I just wanted to get all those out of the way before jumbling all the pictures of food and characters together

So we'll start off with pictures of the buffet!

The buffet area, as a whole. Both sides were identical, except for some differences in the dessert sections.

The breads. Ok, either all of these were vegan, or just the first ones on the left were. I can't remember which the chef said. But I do know that I only got the first one. So either it was just that one, or I didn't want to fill up on bread

Variety of salads. Vegan items: Moroccan Couscous and Parsley salad, Soybean salad, Seedless Cucumber and Pickled Ginger salad. Everything else either had cheese, dairy, or meat.

Close-up of the three vegan items.

Moving on to the hot foods..

Vegan items: Broccoli with Puri Puri and Key Lime Ponzo (no clue what this is), and Fall Vegetables with Arugula Oil

Vegan items: Curry Vegetables with Rice Noodles

Vegan items: Cinnamon and Lemon-Infused Basmati Rice, Ratatouille

My first plate:

Consists of: roll, soybean salad, broccoli, curry noodles, cucumber and ginger salad, fall vegetables, and the couscous salad

The roll was just a roll. Nothing special. While the soybean salad was nice, I didn't get seconds. I loved the broccoli! It was cooked perfectly. There are few things greater than perfectly cooked broccoli. Again, I love noodles. So the curry noodles were great. The cucumber and ginger salad was nice and fresh, but I didn't want more after that. I liked the fall vegetables because they were nice and crisp. And I honestly can't remember anything about the couscous salad.

Jon's first plate:

(So sad, I know) Consists of: Salad with some kind of dressing, a pickle spear, a slice of bread, broccoli, and a tiny helping of macaroni and cheese. I heard no comments about these items, except that the broccoli was good. I can't imagine any of the other items being anything special.

My second plate:

Consists of: More broccoli, curry noodles, and fall vegetables. This time I got some of the basmati rice and the ratatouille. Ohh, I wish I had gotten these two on my first plate! The ratatouille was SO good, especially mixed with the rice! I really, really liked them both. This was a fantastic plate of food. All my favorites together on one plate

Jon's second plate:

(Can you tell who the food-lover is by now?) Consists of: Mashed potatoes, broccoli, and ratatouille. No comments!

I wasn't going to let another buffet go by without getting some kind of dessert, so I decided to get a small plate of fruit:

Grapes and strawberries

I walked with Jon to the dessert section so he could get some goodies:

No vegan items here. Only the fruit!

Jon's desserts, as a whole:

I included this to show the soft-serve ice cream with chocolate sprinkles he got.

Here's a close-up of the rest:

Consists of: Boston cream pie, lemon square, strawberries, and some apple crisp (I believe). I think he said he liked the apple crisp the best.

After we finished our desserts (yes, after we finished our desserts), our server brought us this:

A cupcake and a card with all the character's signatures!

Here's the inside of the card.

It was a very nice gesture, but the cupcake was definitely straight out of the freezer. Jon just picked the icing off and set it aside so he could just eat the cake portion. Didn't want to seem rude, you know

So, we took some last minute pictures:

And headed out the door!

Verdict: Crystal Palace has awesome food for vegans and vegetarians. Definitely not as much variety as Tusker House or Boma (which I'll review soon!), but it's the best TS lunch option for a day at the Magic Kingdom. As much as I love the themeing of Liberty Tree Tavern, I would have to say that CP is my favorite table service restaurant in the park now.

Coming Up: Columbia Harbor House and Pop food court

Old 05-23-2009, 09:44 PM   #35
mmmears
DIS Veteran

I'm loving your dining reviews and photos -- you're showing many items that no-one ever shows on the reviews and that & your descriptions really make this a great thread! Thank you for sharing! While we are not vegetarians, we are not big meat-eaters and try to order the healthier items when we go out, so this is really helping me pick which restaurants we want to try out on our next trip to WDW.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
Old 05-24-2009, 08:12 PM   #36
disnut1149
DIS Veteran

Hi
Thanks for your great reviews!! You are such a cute couple!! I don't eat any meat, so I'm always happy when I see some vegetarian reviews.
1972 Offsite, 1978 Offsite, 1980 Dutch Inn, 1989 Comfort Inn, 1990 CBR, 1993 Peabody, 1996 AllStar Sports, 1997 Dixie Landings, 2000 Holiday Inn Family Suites, 2001 Marriott World Center, 2004 Pop Century, 2005 Pop Century, 2006 Pop Century Aug & Dec, 2007 Pop Century Aug & CSR Dec., 2008 WL & POFQ Aug. & AS Sports Dec., 2009 Pop Aug., Pop Oct & CBR Dec., 2010 POR Sept & CBR Oct., 2011 CSR May & Pop & Akl
Nov., 2014 CSR Sept., 2015 AS Sports Aug.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:46 PM   #37
Laura
Wonders if the Tag Fairy takes requests?
Vegetarians unite!
Only uses the "best rigging"

Your reviews are awesome! And I love your photos with Pooh and friends. So cute!
Old 05-30-2009, 03:31 PM   #38
v_gan
I can go the distance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardengirl628 View Post
That's not a bad picture of you!!! All those pictures are great! Can't wait for more!
Thanks! I'll be adding a new post today

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmears View Post
I'm loving your dining reviews and photos -- you're showing many items that no-one ever shows on the reviews and that & your descriptions really make this a great thread! Thank you for sharing! While we are not vegetarians, we are not big meat-eaters and try to order the healthier items when we go out, so this is really helping me pick which restaurants we want to try out on our next trip to WDW.
I'm glad you're enjoying the reviews!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut1149 View Post
Hi
Thanks for your great reviews!! You are such a cute couple!! I don't eat any meat, so I'm always happy when I see some vegetarian reviews.
Aw, thanks I'm glad you're liking the reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura View Post
Your reviews are awesome! And I love your photos with Pooh and friends. So cute!
Thanks!

Old 05-30-2009, 04:04 PM   #39
v_gan
I can go the distance!

Day 4 - Columbia Harbor House

After Crystal Palace, we headed to Tomorrowland and grabbed some FPs for Buzz and then went to the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor. This was our first time trying this attraction, and we loved it! We weren't expecting much at all, but we thought it was hilarious and we laughed the whole time. I got put up on the screen as the person who "Likes to be the center of attention" haha. After Tomorrowland, we went to get FPs for Winnie the Pooh and got some "Suprise Fastpasses" for Mickey's Phillarmagic. We didn't need them, as the wait was only 5 minutes all day. But they were cool to keep as a souvenir!

One of my main goals for today was to see Jack Sparrow, since I have a slight obsession (complete understatement there) with the POTC movies. So we got to Adventureland about 15 minutes before the Pirate Tutorial and found our spots. Our Jack Sparrow didn't smile very much, but he didn't look bad at all It was a good show, overall. I ended up getting picked to join Jack's crew at the end of the show (I got picked on our last trip, too!). It's so nice to know (and have documentation) that I'm under the protection of the one and only Captain Jack Sparrow. *sigh*

On our way to dinner in Liberty Square, we stopped to watch the Country Bears. I hadn't seen the show in years, and me and Jon had never gone to see it together, so it was a lot of fun. Oh, yes, this is a dining review! Back to the main topic: Food.

We had to eat dinner early today, since Columbia Harbor House closed at 5:00, and I just had to eat here during our trip. And, really, I love this place. But how many signs does one restaurant need?

Hahaha. So excessive, but I love them all!

We arrived at CHH around 4:30 and it wasn't crowded at all.

The only downside to the restaurant not being crowded is that the upstairs dining area was roped off I was really looking forward to eating up there. Oh well.

So, we got in line and ordered our food:

I found us a little nook to eat in while Jon waited on his order:

I only chose this area because you could see the Haunted Mansion outside the window:

Well, and because it was empty.

I ordered the Lighthouse Sandwich without the broccoli slaw (contains dairy), a bowl of Vegetarian Chili, and a Diet Coke.

I forgot to say whether I wanted fries or chips, so they gave me chips. I wanted fries, but that was my fault. At least these were the good chips, and not something icky like Lays.

Jon just ordered a bowl of chili because he was still full from lunch. Heck, I was still full, too, but I wanted that sandwich!

Awesome sandwich, as usual! I love their hummus, and the bread was wonderfully toasty.

Vegetarian Chili. Super warm and yummy! I always forget that the chili is topped with those little crackers.

The crackers *do* contain dairy, so if you don't want them on there, be sure to order them without! I just scooped mine into Jon's bowl. haha.

Verdict: Columbia Harbor House is my favorite counter service restaurant in the Magic Kingdom. The food is warm and comforting, and I absolutely love it's location and theming. If you can eat upstairs, do it! It offers a great view of Liberty Square. Thumbs up to CHH for remaining awesome throughout the years

Coming Up: Pop Century Food Court late night snack

Old 05-30-2009, 06:54 PM   #40
jmkford4
Mouseketeer

I love your reviews! I am vegetarian bordering on vegan and it is so nice to hear about all the good food. We are going for our very first trip, and I am pleasantly surprised to hear I don't have to eat salad and fries every day!

Planning our first LARGE FAMILY trip for 2015
Old 05-30-2009, 06:54 PM   #41
Walt Disney Worlders
Mouseketeer

Thumbs up

Great review! Looking forward to reading more.

Interesting about the noting vegan thing. I'm glad to hear that they changed it since last fall. Every CM I spoke with last fall I was told it could not be done. Seemed silly at the time, but who knows!
Old 05-31-2009, 08:11 AM   #42
Whistlewhileyouwork
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Disney Worlders View Post
Great review! Looking forward to reading more.

Interesting about the noting vegan thing. I'm glad to hear that they changed it since last fall. Every CM I spoke with last fall I was told it could not be done. Seemed silly at the time, but who knows!
Nice blog!

UPCOMING TRIP: SSR 12/22-1/2/2010

Me:28 DH:29
Old 05-31-2009, 08:54 AM   #43
torsie24
Or I could call it the postalabration
Now I know to wear flip flops!
Got engaged on a trip to Disneyland Paris

Great review so far!!!

Thank you so much for all the veggie info! We don't eat much meat at all, so this is very helpful for us!

Wonderful photos too!

WDW: 1994-I Drive / 2009-AKL / 2011-Disney Wedding -AKL-GF RPC-BW-BLT
DLRP 1997-HNY / 2000-SL / 2008-SL / 2009-DLH / 2012-HNY
DLR: 2005-Day Trip
Old 05-31-2009, 09:33 AM   #44
PrincessEeyore
"All it takes is faith and trust and a little bit of pixie dust."

Thank you so much for the detailed reviews! While I'm not vegan, just vegetarian, I'm only 16 so my parents' don't really take my diet into consideration when we vacation. Your reviews are very helpful and the pictures are gorgeous! You've made me veryyy excited for my trip to WDW in October.
Looking forward to the next update!

Old 06-01-2009, 12:35 AM   #45
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Great reviews! We have a vegan in the family, so this is really helpful info!!! I like to make sure that everyone will be happy with the dining choices.

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: