Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 10:18 PM   #16
v_gan
I can go the distance!

Day 2 - The Plaza Restaurant

First off, let me say that I was really looking forward to eating at The Plaza. The outside of the restaurant as well as the decor inside were always so pretty when I saw them in pictures. I loved all the mirrors and the turqouise colors, with the golden light fixtures. So pretty!

We had reservations for 6:10. So, after we left AK, we headed to the Magic Kingdom for dinner and evening EMH. We arrived at the restaurant right at 6:10, but there was a line for check-in and the Move It, Shake It, Celebrate It parade was coming back up Main Street, so I walked over to take some pictures of that. I liked seeing Lumiere in the parade. That was neat.

I checked us in a few minutes after our reservation time, and we recieved our pager and found a seat.

We waited 20 minutes to be seated. It was pretty ridiculous. I mean, how long does it really take to either eat or make a sandwich? I think this was the longest wait we had on our trip, so we were already off to a bad start.

When we were finally to be seated, we had a grumpy old hag take us to our table, which was convenientally located 6 inches away from the swinging kitchen doors and 6 inches (if that) away from the table of another couple.

Picture of the doors directly to our right:

The grumpy old hag plopped this giant binder onto our table and told me to look through it and see what I wanted:

I thought this was completely rude and uncalled for. Do you see how big that thing is?! I had to look though that entire binder to find the ingredients for all the components of the vegetarian sandwich. A few minutes later, the woman came back and asked if I knew what I wanted. I told her I hadn't had time to look though the entire thing and she seemed aggravated and/or flustered and started quickly flipping through the binder, trying to show me different breads and basically nothingness. I was just embarrassed by the whole thing, to be honest.

She left, and I finally found the page with all the ingredients for the vegetarian sandwich:

Bread was out; it contained whey and was baked with cheese on top. Cheese was obviously a no-go, and the pesto also had cheese.

So I was left with the single choice of a baguette with hummus and vegetables. Now, normally this would make a pretty good sandwich. But not so at the Plaza Restaurant.

This is what I ended up with:

The bread was horribly dry and tasteless. The vegetables were cold and mushy. The hummus offered pretty much no flavor whatsoever. It was the most bland sandwich I have ever tasted in my life. The fries were good, but I ran out of ketchup and our server never brought me any more.

Jon got the regular vegetarian sandwich:

From the way he described it, it wasn't much better than what I recieved. Every time he picked it up, a tablespoon or two of liquid would drip out of the sandwich. It was disgusting. It looked like milky cheese water mixed with tomato juice. Ugh. So nasty.

This is me, almost humorously being completely dissappointed and sad about the whole experience:

I say humorously because this was a complete 180 of what our experience was like at Tusker House just a few hours earlier. It was crazy how different the service was between the two.

And this is Jon, being angry and upset at the restaurant for making me feel bad while we were inside the Magic Kingdom:

After our meal was over, we got our bill. It took forever to get a reciept, because our waiter obviously forgot about us. He walked by five times before he stopped and asked if everything was ok. I normally wouldn't care about geting a reciept, but I like keeping up with all my spending at Disney. It was horrible sitting there for such a long time after such an awful meal.

The only good thing about the whole experience was knowing that this was outside waiting for me when it was over:

Verdict: I will never step foot in this restaurant again. Never. It was embarassing and humiliating to be treated like that, and the food I recieved was absolutely horrible. We only left a one dollar tip, and while I felt bad doing it at that time.. Looking back, they didn't even deserve that. It was such an awful experience, and I'm just glad this was a one-time thing. Disney service is so much better than this, and I hope this was just my personal experience and not an everyday occurance.

Coming Up: Blizzard Beach snacks and more Pop Century food court! (aka the boring day of food).
WDW - Pop Century Resort - May 2010 (21 years old)
WDW - Caribbean Beach Resort - March 2010 (21 years old)
WDW - Pop Century Resort - May 2009 (20 years old)
Universal Orlando - Offsite - October 2008 - (20 years old)
WDW, Univeral Orlando - All Star Movies - September 2007 (19 years old)
WDW, Univeral Orlando - All Star Music - July 2002 (14 years old)
WDW, Univeral Orlando - Offsite - January 2001 (13 years old)
Disneyland, Universal Hollywood - Offsite - January 2000 (12 years old)
WDW, Universal Orlando, Sea World - Offsite - January 1991 (3 years old)

Spring 2014 Disney College Program Blog (Concierge): Going the Distance - My Disney College Program Experience

Vegan and Vegetarian Dining Reviews
More Vegan and Vegetarian Dining Reviews
Two Vegans, Too Much Food
Even More Vegan and Vegetarian Dining Reviews

Last edited by v_gan; 05-20-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:05 AM   #17
h0cusp0kus
Earning My Ears

Wow, your pictures are gorgeous! Great reviews so far
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-20-2009, 05:14 AM   #18
lisalisalisa
Mouseketeer

Great reviews and photos. We are a veggie family
Disneyland Paris - 1992 (opening week), 93,94,97,98,01,02,05,06,07,08,10,11 & Apr 12
WDW- 2001.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:21 PM   #19
budbeerlady
I call DH The STREAK!!
Sorry honey, no world series tonight, Poo Watch 2006 is going on!

I am so sorry your Plaza meal was so bad. There is NO excuse for how they acted, how hard is it to quick ask the kitchen what can they make that is Vegan?!??!? Since you have your receipt with info on it I would enclose a copy and write them about your experience. I had a good veggie sandwich there but it was a year ago, maybe it went down hill. For vegetarian at MK I stick with my favorites at Columbia Harbor.

Cannot wait to read the rest!!!!!
Nov 2013 1st Disney Run * Oct 2012 Dream'n Again * Oct 2011 Dd Birthday Cruise* Dec 2010 its all family! *August 2009 ASMu * Nov. 2008 Girls Trip POP * Aug 2008 CBR * Oct. 2007 POP for DD Birthday Trip * Dec. 2006 AKL * Dec. 2005 POFQ for 1st Family Trip* http://stretchingittotravel.wordpress.com/

Old 05-20-2009, 01:48 PM   #20
Jenvenza
Ratted out her husband's lack of pony knowledge for a tag!

Great reviews! I always love reading vegan and veggie reviews!
Old 05-20-2009, 01:58 PM   #21
gardengirl628
I'm sorry I bit you....and pulled your hair....and punched you in the face.

Just found your report! Great pictures and great reviews! Can't wait to read more!

Dana
WDW-offsite 1977, 1984; Dixie Landings November 1998; CSR June 2007; AKL November/December 2009; BWV/Western Magic/BLT February 2011; BCV July 2011; BLT/3 day Dream October 2012; HHI April 2013; BW August 2013
Old 05-20-2009, 07:56 PM   #22
v_gan
I can go the distance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0cusp0kus View Post
Wow, your pictures are gorgeous! Great reviews so far
Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalisalisa View Post
Great reviews and photos. We are a veggie family
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by budbeerlady View Post
I am so sorry your Plaza meal was so bad. There is NO excuse for how they acted, how hard is it to quick ask the kitchen what can they make that is Vegan?!??!? Since you have your receipt with info on it I would enclose a copy and write them about your experience. I had a good veggie sandwich there but it was a year ago, maybe it went down hill. For vegetarian at MK I stick with my favorites at Columbia Harbor.

Cannot wait to read the rest!!!!!
Well, it wasn't your fault! It really must have been just my experience, because I swear we saw a chef or someone go to another family's table a few times to talk to them, check on them, and make sure their meal was ok. I have considered e-mailing Disney about it, but I never caught the name of that horrible woman. I'd just rather it be over it, so I'm not going to worry about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenvenza View Post
Great reviews! I always love reading vegan and veggie reviews!
Thank you! I'm glad you'll be reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardengirl628 View Post
Just found your report! Great pictures and great reviews! Can't wait to read more!
Thanks! More reviews are coming right up

Spring 2014 Disney College Program Blog (Concierge): Going the Distance - My Disney College Program Experience

Old 05-20-2009, 08:28 PM   #23
v_gan
I can go the distance!

Day 3 - Blizzard Beach snack and Pop Century food court (x2)

Today was our boring day of food. I'm not saying the food we had was boring, just the fact that we ate at the same place twice in one day

This morning we got to sleep in an extra hour. But we still had to have time to go to the concierge and add on the Water Parks and More option (plus an extra theme park day) to our tickets. So, after doing that, we headed to Blizzard Beach. After finishing all the slides around 11:30, I wanted to go around and take some pictures. Jon hates it when I take tons of pictures, but that's one of the main things I like to do at Disney! I felt bad for making him walk around with me, so I bought him a sugar cookie he had been eyeing earlier to cheer him up:

(Sorry for the bare skin in the background.)

This boy loves his sugar cookies, so no complaints here

After spending a bit more time in the park, we decided to call it a day and go back to the resort so we could get to DHS a little earlier than planned. When we got back to Pop, we showered and went to the food court. It wasn't crowded at all at this time of the day.

I decided to go to the station with the vegetable lo mein I had read so much about:

They had ran out of the veggie lo mein, and oddly enough the next five people that got in line after me ordered the same thing. So we all waited for the next batch, which only took a few minutes.

I got my Vegetable Lo Mein and picked up some (expensive) grapes:

Close-up:

It doesn't look like it, but GOLLY, that was a lot of food! It was definitely packed in there. I really liked it. Honestly, I like anything with noodles. I added some soy sauce to mine to give it a bit more flavor, but it was really good the way it was. The vegetables were cooked all the way through, yet still nice and crisp. The grapes weren't so good. They were a bit mushy, so I never finished them.

Jon got the veggie burger with cheese, and he picked up some grapes, as well.

Jon loves veggie burgers, so he obviously loved his meal

After lunch, we headed back to the room to get ready for our evening EMH at DHS. I was hoping we would be able to grab dinner at Backlot Express, but it was closed by the time we got there around 6:00. So, we didn't worry about eating while we were there and we had a great time enjoying all the rides and attractions without a wait. We ran into some streetmosphere characters, took some Photopass pictures, met Mike and Sulley, rode Star Tours, watched Muppets 3-D, rode RnRC twice, did the Great Movie Ride, shopped for a bit, and I honestly lost count how many times we rode Tower of Terror. At least 5 or 6.

All in less than five hours! It was fantastic!

After such a busy night, we were really hungry when we got back to Pop. We dropped off all our stuff in the room and rode the elevator with this tempting poster inside:

The food court had a few more people in it than it did earlier, but it was by no means crowded at 11:00.

Jon got the vegetable lasagne and an extra side of breadsticks:

I remember him liking it, and that's all I've got

I decided to switch it up and get the veggie burger with fries. I really like the little cups they have with the lettuce, tomato, onion, and pickles in them. They're so cute.

I also got a cup of vegetable soup:

The soup was good, and I'm definitely glad I got it because just the burger and fries didn't fill me up completely. The soup finished me off!

Verdict: We may have eaten at the same place twice in one day, but there was enough variety to keep us both satisfied. I loved the Pop food court!

Coming Up: Crystal Palace, Columbia Harbor House, and Pop Century food court (yes, again!)

Last edited by v_gan; 05-20-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:16 PM   #24
dpndka
Mouseketeer

Great review so far! Looking forward to next installment. Thanks!
Old 05-21-2009, 04:42 PM   #25
Jenvenza
Ratted out her husband's lack of pony knowledge for a tag!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_gan View Post

Jon got the veggie burger with cheese, and he picked up some grapes, as well.

Jon loves veggie burgers, so he obviously loved his meal
I dont know what it was about the veggie burgers at Pop! - But I think it was the best veggie burger I have ever eaten! So good!
Old 05-22-2009, 07:24 PM   #26
Whistlewhileyouwork
Earning My Ears

Great review!! This is really going to help DH and I plan where we would like to eat in August. THANKS!!

Question... Did you call ahead and talk to any of the chefs and let them know that you were vegan and vegetarian?

UPCOMING TRIP: SSR 12/22-1/2/2010

Me:28 DH:29
Old 05-22-2009, 08:33 PM   #27
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Great reviews and photos so far. I'm looking forward to rest of your dining reviews. Thanks for posting!

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
Old 05-22-2009, 09:41 PM   #28
mrsturtle
nj mom of 2 boys

great reviews and really nice photos!!! looking forward to crystal palace. loving the vegetarian reviews. these are a great help as my sister is vegetarian and her husband vegan- i need to consider options for them on our upcoming trip. anxiously standing by for your next review....

thanks!!!

me DH DS (3) DS (2)

poly 1977
offsite the early 80's
offsite 1991
POFQ 1997
CB 1999
BCV 2009
Old 05-23-2009, 02:57 PM   #29
tloveswdw
Mouseketeer

This is a great TR! We are a veggie family, (we strive to lead a vegan life), so this is great to read!

Great pics!

and a week at the Fort to ring in 2013!
Old 05-23-2009, 05:10 PM   #30
BabyPiglet
Stop Child Abuse NOW
I'm incredibly obsessive about keeping my fingernails clean
See, I have goals I want

Great reviews!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: