Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 08:57 PM   #136
mullertwin
Tigger Lover

What a fantastic TR! Thank you so much for sharing your experiences!

I don't know why but the tofu I had at Tusker House & Boma were awful! I felt they were way too overcooked and hated the texture. I had a bad experience at Boma as something I ate upset my stomach but with your TR I wonder if I should give it another chance. And I am HORRIFIED to find out that the samosas at Tusker House are normally fried with meat! The Chef took me around and NEVER mentioned that! Yech!

I had such a nice experience at the Plaza and sorry that you didn't. But it wasn't the best meal I had at WDW so I wouldn't be too upset about never going back.

I have one question, with the soups that your BF ate, did he ask about the stock? I was unaware that any places had veggie soup other than Boma and Jiko (not including the chili from Columbia Harbor House).
Old 08-26-2009, 09:17 PM   #137
Samandmom
Curvy WISHer
I laughed with a tear in my eye
WISHing my way to success!

WOW that was alot food at Ohanas. Thanks for your reviews.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-27-2009, 02:32 PM   #138
ehartman4
Do you believe in something beautiful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullertwin View Post
I don't know why but the tofu I had at Tusker House & Boma were awful! I felt they were way too overcooked and hated the texture. I had a bad experience at Boma as something I ate upset my stomach but with your TR I wonder if I should give it another chance. And I am HORRIFIED to find out that the samosas at Tusker House are normally fried with meat! The Chef took me around and NEVER mentioned that! Yech!
The tofu is also cooked in the same oil as the corn dogs. I found this out last week when I was in Disney. Which chef took you around? My boyfriend Michael (plasticletters) and I will be posting our vegan review soon on Tusker House as well as other restaurants (including Chef TJ!).
Old 08-27-2009, 06:17 PM   #139
mullertwin
Tigger Lover

Yikes! There is such conflicting information!! I don't remember the name of the chef since it was back in February. It makes me want to be VERY cautious next time around.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:31 PM   #140
v_gan
I can go the distance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVT View Post
Thank you, thank you, thank you! Our first trip to WDW was 2 years ago, on our honeymoon. As a vegetarian, I had a really hard time. We are going back in December, and I've cutted and pasted almost the entire thread!
:woo hoo:
You're welcome! I'm glad the reviews were helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenanigoat View Post
That Rainforest meal is such a bummer. I've never really been a fan of that place. We have one locally and all my friends like it and I think it's just meh.

I really enjoyed your reviews. I am a meat-eater, but I love to eat vegetarian too, so this was great to read.
I don't think there are any Rainforest Cafes in Alabama. We enjoyed our food at the RC in Animal Kingdom on our last trip, so we didn't think it would be as bad as it turned out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullertwin View Post
What a fantastic TR! Thank you so much for sharing your experiences!

I had such a nice experience at the Plaza and sorry that you didn't. But it wasn't the best meal I had at WDW so I wouldn't be too upset about never going back.

I have one question, with the soups that your BF ate, did he ask about the stock? I was unaware that any places had veggie soup other than Boma and Jiko (not including the chili from Columbia Harbor House).
Thanks for reading! And I agree on the tofu at Tusker House and Boma. I didn't like either. The tofu at Boma wasn't horrible, but the tofu at Tusker House was just gross.

No, we didn't ask about the stock in the soup he had at Rose and Crown. He never thinks to do that. But I found the recipe online after we got back, and there aren't any meat stocks listed (I actually don't think any stocks were used). Just cream.

What soups at Boma are vegetarian? I thought most contained chicken stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samandmom View Post
WOW that was alot food at Ohanas. Thanks for your reviews.
Thanks for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehartman4 View Post
My boyfriend Michael (plasticletters) and I will be posting our vegan review soon on Tusker House as well as other restaurants (including Chef TJ!).
I'm excited to read your reviews!
WDW - Pop Century Resort - May 2010 (21 years old)
WDW - Caribbean Beach Resort - March 2010 (21 years old)
WDW - Pop Century Resort - May 2009 (20 years old)
Universal Orlando - Offsite - October 2008 - (20 years old)
WDW, Univeral Orlando - All Star Movies - September 2007 (19 years old)
WDW, Univeral Orlando - All Star Music - July 2002 (14 years old)
WDW, Univeral Orlando - Offsite - January 2001 (13 years old)
Disneyland, Universal Hollywood - Offsite - January 2000 (12 years old)
WDW, Universal Orlando, Sea World - Offsite - January 1991 (3 years old)

Spring 2014 Disney College Program Blog (Concierge): Going the Distance - My Disney College Program Experience

Vegan and Vegetarian Dining Reviews
More Vegan and Vegetarian Dining Reviews
Two Vegans, Too Much Food
Even More Vegan and Vegetarian Dining Reviews
Old 08-28-2009, 09:03 AM   #141
mullertwin
Tigger Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_gan View Post

What soups at Boma are vegetarian? I thought most contained chicken stock?
There was only one that was vegetarian (sorry - NOT vegan). I can't remember if it was carrot/ginger or butternut squash. It was cream based not chicken stock based.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:38 PM   #142
olivejuice
Mouseketeer

Ok thank you sooo much for posting this review! Our family is veggie and I look through the reviews all the time hoping to see food we can eat. Good job!!
Old 08-28-2009, 08:49 PM   #143
BigEeyore
DIS Veteran

We have eaten at the Rainforest Cafe exactly ONE time - awful awful, as you said. Never again.

(Me) (DH) (DD 7/29/05) (DD 3/9/2009) (Eli) (Mo)
Old 08-28-2009, 09:03 PM   #144
mmmears
DIS Veteran

I'm so impressed with the 'Ohana meal! We always go there for dinner, but barely touch the meat dishes. We really like the sides and the dessert! Our servers always think we're nuts!!! Now I want to ask for a tofu dinner instead! But then, you didn't have room for dessert, and the 'Ohana dessert is one of the few that I love.

Thanks for finishing up the report! Your photos and descriptions are so clear. And I really appreciate your reviews, since it's so hard to find healthy, good choices in the dining reviews!

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
Old 08-29-2009, 12:31 AM   #145
Alice42
Alice in Wonderland lover
Some say I resemble red fraggle!
The Tag Fairy sincerely hopes that Alice gets her "Fairytale Wedding"!

vegans represent!

awesome report!! I had no idea you could get all of those tofu dishes at 'Ohana!

Where did you get those vegan choc. chip cookies?
Old 08-29-2009, 08:04 PM   #146
Plasticletters
Ride a Bike

We've begun our reviews!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....8#post33365298

DL AP Holder (2012/2013)
WDW - Port Orleans French Quarter - Aug 2009 (26 years old)
Universal Orlando - Offsite @ family's house- Jan 2009 (26 years old)
WDW - All Star Music - March 2008 (25 years old)
WDW - Subpar Offsite Hotel - March 2004 (21 years old)
WDW, Univeral Orlando - All Star Music - May 2000 (17 years old)
WDW, Universal Orlando - Filthy Offsite Hotel - May 1998 (15 years old)
WDW, Universal Orlando - Wet Offsite Hotel - Summer 1995 (12 years old)
WDW - Rad Offsite Villa - Summer 1987 (4 years old)
WDW- Fuzzy Memories of an Offsite Hotel - Summer 1984 (not quite 2 years old)
Old 09-06-2009, 03:06 AM   #147
Lizzybear
You fool! You gave cheese to a lactose intolerant volcano god!
I'm the main holiday initiator/planner which is how I like it!

I found these and your other reports recently and i'm so glad I did My bf is vegetarian so i'm always looking for relevant dining reviews... We have quite a few of the same restaurants booked Chef TJ is awesome, he made my bf a fantastic veggie stir-fry and deep fried Oreos when we ate at Boma in 2007 I booked Ohana since I heard that he moved there so I hope we get him (our ADR is a Sunday) and I hope he's there to whip you up something amazing on your next trip
DLP Day trip 1992, School trip 1997, Day trip 2000, Magic Circus 2003, Cheyenne 2006, Sequoia Lodge 2007 and Santa Fe 2010. WDW Ramada Resort I-Drive 2002, Sheraton Studio City 2005, POFQ 2007 and CSR 2009. DLR Fairfield Inn 2008.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:05 AM   #148
NOLA_Tink
NOLA_Tink

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_gan View Post
We headed into Fronteirland and stopped at the Golden Oak Outpost.

I went up to the counter and asked what all was on the Vegetarian Flatbread Wrap before ordering - nothing but vegetables and beans, ladies and gentlemen! Me and Jon both ordered the wrap with fries and a Diet Coke.

I really enjoyed the wrap. Tons of veggies, and the black beans add some protein. The veggies I can remember/see are lettuce, tomato, zuchinni, banana peppers, red onion, and corn. There may have been more, I can't remember. But it was really filling and tasty for being such a light meal. A lot of it fell off as we were eating it, so we just got forks and ate the rest as a salad haha.

I'd definitely eat here again!
YUM! I had the veggie flatbread in March & it's my new fave CS option in MK. I like mine a little wetter, so I asked for extra hummus- soooooo tasty! They were also kind enough to give me fruit (either grapes or apples) instead of fries. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed it too!
WDW 1983 • Disneyland 1987 • WDW 1990 • Contemporary Resort 1997 • Dixie Landings (POR) 2000 • Magic Kingdom 2003 • Pop Century 2004 • Easter in WDW 2005 • AS Sports Feb 2006 • ASMusic Family Suite Nov 2006 • AS Sports 2007 • Animal Kingdom Lodge June 2008 • F & W Festival Oct 2008 • Discovery Cove/ ASMoviesDec 2008 • POP March 2009 • Very Merry Un-Unbirthday in Disney July 2009 • Pop Century Dec 2009• Caribbean Beach Resort May 2010 • Polynesian Nov 2010 • Disneyland March 2011 • POP Oct 2011 • The Dolphin May 2012 • Disneyland June 2012 • CBR Oct 2012 • Art of Animation June 2013 • Ft. Wilderness Cabins March 2015
Old 09-24-2009, 04:37 PM   #149
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Thanks for a fantastic review! We're a vegetarian family heading to WDW in January and I am much more knowledgeable about where we should eat now thanks to you! 'Ohana is now a MUST as is Sci Fi Diner (for the kids, but happy to know about the yummy tofu dish).

Planning a 2014 trip to celebrate our son's 10th!
February 6th - February 12th 2013 ~ Port Orleans Riverside ~ Mom's Birthday Trip!
October 26th - November 7th 2011 ~ Off site ~ Second Family Trip
January 26th - February 4th 2010 ~ Off site ~ First Family Trip
April 2004 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter
August 2002 ~ Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon!)
Old 01-30-2010, 09:49 PM   #150
lilpnutmama
It's a small, small world

Just found this old trip report and am so excited - my first trip to wdw as a vegetarian is coming up so I am looking forward to trying a lot of these dishes!!

Lil Captain Jack's first trip: VWL/AKL January 23-28 2014 !!
"It was a Disney movie I'd never heard of. 200 leeches under the sea" - DD
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: