Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
connorlevismom

DIS Veteran

Tell me I can make this drive and remain sane.....

We are due with our second child in October and we have a trip planned in February. Our other child is 5 and is a great car rider. We are thinking of driving this time and it is 1500 per way. The reason we decided to give it a try is that we just think it will be easier. My son HATES to fly, we won't have to worry about luggage and how much we have, we won't have to get through security with two kids and strollers and a car seat, and we can pack all the baby stuff we need instead of having to rent it or buy it when we get there.

So please tell me I am not crazy and I will be able to make this drive. Anyone have any tips on how to make it easier?

Kristine
connorlevismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

Quote:
... we just think it will be easier
From Minnesota ... with a 4-mo ... in February? You got an odd definition of easy, lady.

Actually, I think it depends on your vehicle. On a long drive at that age it's really best if you can get an adult sitting next to the infant, but your older child is too young to sit in the front seat.

IME, an older child sitting next to a screaming baby in the back seat of a moving car will lose patience VERY quickly.
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-18-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
connorlevismom

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotUrsula View Post
From Minnesota ... with a 4-mo ... in February? You got an odd definition of easy, lady.

Actually, I think it depends on your vehicle. On a long drive at that age it's really best if you can get an adult sitting next to the infant, but your older child is too young to sit in the front seat.

IME, an older child sitting next to a screaming baby in the back seat of a moving car will lose patience VERY quickly.
We have an explorer so there would be no problem with me sitting in the back with both kids.

I just have these nightmares of trying to get through the airport with kids and all their crap and not to mention the plane ride which is not fun with a kid who hates flying and crys pretty hard for the first hour of the flight. Then luggage all that luggage and crap around the airport in MCO....

Maybe I am crazy....

Kristine
Old 05-18-2009, 02:00 PM   #4
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

May I ask why your 5 yo. hates to fly? It seems kind of young to develop fof. Do his ears hurt? I have bad allergies/chronic sinusitis and recently had sinus surgery. I had a few trips already planned when I 1st met with the ENT dr. He suggested a decongestant & Motrin about 1 hr. preflight to decrease the pressure in my sinuses and ears. I wish I had started that years ago.

JMHO, no way would I drive all that way, even w/o kids but that's just me.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:05 PM   #5
connorlevismom

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post
May I ask why your 5 yo. hates to fly? It seems kind of young to develop fof. Do his ears hurt? I have bad allergies/chronic sinusitis and recently had sinus surgery. I had a few trips already planned when I 1st met with the ENT dr. He suggested a decongestant & Motrin about 1 hr. preflight to decrease the pressure in my sinuses and ears. I wish I had started that years ago.

JMHO, no way would I drive all that way, even w/o kids but that's just me.
He hates taking off. He hates going that fast and then the accent. He cries for about 1/2 hour before we get onto the plane, then the whole time before take-off off and for about 1/2 an hour after take-off. It is pretty stressful. He has been like that since the first time he has flown and he has been on a plane 3 times now. He says he never wants to go back to WDW because he does not want to fly.

Kristine
Old 05-18-2009, 02:35 PM   #6
zulaya
Certified Disney Addict & Kitchen Magician
Thinks it's fun to look at people's new stuff
You can never have enough duct tape!

Well, if you've already decided to drive, then just go with it.

Are you commando driving straight through, or are you going to be in the car for maybe a few hours a day?

I hear you on dragging all the crap that comes with two kids. The easy part is that the 4 month old will probably sleep a lot of be totally fine in the car seat the entire time.

As far as the fear of flying, I can also see how it would be annoying as all get out to deal with a 5 year old who for whatever reason can't deal with it and then having a baby to deal with, too.

It's going to be a long drive, no matter how you space it up. But you can do it if you want to.

I imagine you've tried making flying a game? Pretending you are the pilot? Pretending you are a spaceman going to the moon? Pretending you are in the car that's going to turn into a flying machine? Bribing him with something if he's brave and tries really hard not to cry?

My kids flew the first time when they were 4 and 5. Maybe they were old enough for their first time to not have the jitters your son has. Maybe he was too young the first time to really understand what was going on. But is it possible he's old enough now and has outgrown it?

In any case, as I said above, if you've decided on driving, now it's time to just make it be the best you can. DVDs are good. Games to play in the car. Make a car scavenger hunt so he has to actively look for stuff out the window and let him earn "points" for things he finds.

Red barns, helicopters, windmills, brown signs (historical or national park places) etc. He's a little young for the license plate game, but there's stuff you can do.

http://www.disneysavvy.com

Offsite ~ 12/94, 12/2000
ASSp 05/01
AKL/Concierge/AKV-Kidani 09/01, 10/05, 6/09,3/12
Polynesian 12/02
BCV 6/03, 11/03, 12/04,10/05, 12/06, 6/07, 12/07, 4/08, 10/08, 12/09, 11/10,12/10, 5/11, 6/11,3/12,3/13,5/14
POR/OKW - Pampered Chef trip 06/05
DCL 10/08
CSR 6/10
POFQ 10/13
Next: Dec 2014 BCV
zulaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
richmo
DIS Veteran

The thing I always think about is that I've got a finite number of vacation days. A trip from/to Minnesota is going to wipe you out for 3 days, each way. (maybe the trip doesn't take 3 days, but you'll need the third day to recover). Thats 6 days versus one day each way to fly. To me, its not worth throwing 4 days away.
richmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:39 PM   #8
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by connorlevismom View Post
He hates taking off. He hates going that fast and then the accent. He cries for about 1/2 hour before we get onto the plane, then the whole time before take-off off and for about 1/2 an hour after take-off. It is pretty stressful. He has been like that since the first time he has flown and he has been on a plane 3 times now. He says he never wants to go back to WDW because he does not want to fly.

Kristine
poor bunny. At least you tried more than once.

Maybe try again in a few years and don't remind him he used to be scared and he'll have forgotten it.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:40 PM   #9
ancestry
Trees Without Roots Fall Over

Ultimately you will have to determine what is best for your family. However, if it was me I would forego a vacation before I would ever drive that far with two young children in the car. I've done it before and it was the worst experience of my life and I will never ever do it again.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:36 PM   #10
WI_DisneyFan
DIS Veteran

My take on it is this. When I was a kid, my parents would drive us cross country almost every summer. My parents, me, my two brothers (one older and one younger) and all of our luggage in a 2-door Honda hatchback. We drove from Wisconsin to the east coast, west coast, Florida, and all points in between. We didn't have DVD players, iPods, or portable gaming systems (PSP, Gameboy, etc). And we enjoyed every minute of it. So partially for that reason, we will be driving in December instead of flying. This is a great big beautiful country, and I'm looking forward to seeing it from ground level this year instead of 30,000 feet above ground.

Just one plea - if you can avoid it at all, don't be a non-stop driver. My dad would do this, and it was the only thing that made us miserable. Take your time, enjoy your trip and the time you get to spend with your family. If you decide to drive, you'll be fine!

(Also, head over to the 2000+ mile thread for more tips and info on making the road trip.)

I saw a lion he was standing alone
With a tadpole in a jar

Last edited by WI_DisneyFan; 05-18-2009 at 04:57 PM.
WI_DisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:48 PM   #11
Momto3Girls&Max
DIS Veteran

We've made the drive from Chicago many times over the last 12 years (with each of our children as infants and at various ages since then) and will do it again in August. We always stop overnight on the way down and back to break up the trip and I would suggest that you do the same. All things considered, we actually prefer driving.
Momto3Girls&Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:15 PM   #12
treeface
Mouseketeer

We have also friven several times although not quite as far. Our first trip with our son, he was 11 mos and we stopped over one night, he was fine. We repeated the trip 9 months later and added his 11 yo sister and a 14 yo babysitter, all in a Pontiac Grand Prix. Everyone was fine that trip also, although with three in the backseat, I was glad to have front seat privileges. Since those two trips, we have returned to Disney 3 additional times with our son, driving two of those and flying once. We will be flying again this week, only because it was less expensive to fly. In our case, I'm the one who prefers to drive, don't like not being in control.

We have also traveled to Washington DC by plane and west TX by plane to see DSD (now 17) twice. We also drove to west TX once, 3200 miles RT.

Whenever we travel by car, we always make the drive part of the vacation and try to stop somewhere interesting, even if only for an hour or so. It not only helps to get out and stretch, but also allows for seeing the different things our great country has to offer.

If you've decided to drive, then factor that time into your vacation and don't try to get there in one day. Enjoy the extra time with your family and you will have a nice trip.

1972 Offsite 1978 Offsite, 1985 Buena Vista Palace 1992 Offsite, 1994 Travelodge (Disney Village)
1996 POFQ 1997 CBR 2002 WL 2003 AKL 2006 POFQ/AKL 2006 WL Concierge MVMCP
2007 SSR 2007 OKW, 2008 ASM & OKW, 2009 Pop & SSR, 2009 BCV
2011 OKW, 2012 BLT & AKV Kidani Village
treeface is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: