Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Disney Discount Codes and Rates
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2009, 10:48 AM   #1
DznyLvr2005
DIS Veteran

Disney Visa Card Question - Trip purchases 0%

OK I feel like an idiot because I'm confused here...
I hardly ever use my Disney Visa. But I did put my balance of $399 for my trip on the card about a month ago. 0% for 6 months. OK I get this...
But Then I went to Target and spent $70. 9% interest.

When I pay the bill, how do they figure the 0%? If I pay $70 towards my card, will that count as the 9% interest, then I'll have 0% on the rest, or does the $70 wait until the end and so I'm really not getting 0% on my trip unless its the only thing I put on my card?
Thanks for any help!
ETA: And I just realized that I posted this in the wrong spot.. so sorry!

DznyLvr2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:57 AM   #2
jackal
DIS Veteran

Your payment will come off the $399 that you just put on first. They will charge you that interest on the $70 until you pay the $399.

Unfortunately that is the way credit card companies get you. Obama is trying to get this policy changed, but for now, you will pay interest on that $70 until the $399 is paid off.

The $70 waits till the end.
jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-16-2009, 11:04 AM   #3
DznyLvr2005
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
Your payment will come off the $399 that you just put on first. They will charge you that interest on the $70 until you pay the $399.

Unfortunately that is the way credit card companies get you. Obama is trying to get this policy changed, but for now, you will pay interest on that $70 until the $399 is paid off.

The $70 waits till the end.
I figured that would be how it worked, but I did have some hope that I'd pay the $70, and have 0 interest on the 399. That would have been nice
So really the only way your trip is truly 0% is if you don't put anything else on the card, or pay everything in one billing cycle.
Thanks for your help!

Old 05-16-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
jackal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DznyLvr2005 View Post
I figured that would be how it worked, but I did have some hope that I'd pay the $70, and have 0 interest on the 399. That would have been nice
So really the only way your trip is truly 0% is if you don't put anything else on the card, or pay everything in one billing cycle.
Thanks for your help!
Well, technicially you are still paying 0 percent interest on the 399, you are just still paying your interest on the $70. Yes, the only way your trip is 0% if you don't put anything else on the card for six months or you pay everything in one billing cycle.

When Obama's bill passes, that may change, but I don't think that is going to go into effect until 2010.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:42 PM   #5
DCDisney
On my way...

If you pay your bill every month in full then it really is 0% for the vacation. I paid 100% of anything new I charged each month and then however much I felt like towards the trip. I did call Visa before to verify this is how it all worked. If you don't carry a balance it was very simple and each month's statement showed how much trip was left to pay.
DCDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:49 PM   #6
HLAuburn
DIS Veteran

I don't mean to butt in here, but that's not the way it works.

Generally speaking - yes, payments go towards the lowest APR promotion, like if you had a balance transfer amount at 4%. However, with the Disney vacations at 0%, you get 0% for 6 months regardless. If you pay $70 for the Target, that will be paid off and you're vaca will stay at 0% for up to 6 months.

You can make purchases and any payments up to you the amount of your charges will go towards those purchases. Anything above that will then apply towards the vacation balance.

You can call Disney Visa to verify this, but I'm sure its the way it works. We've done this a bunch of times!
HLAuburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:55 PM   #7
Maggie'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLAuburn View Post

Generally speaking - yes, payments go towards the lowest APR promotion, like if you had a balance transfer amount at 4%. However, with the Disney vacations at 0%, you get 0% for 6 months regardless. If you pay $70 for the Target, that will be paid off and you're vaca will stay at 0% for up to 6 months.

You can make purchases and any payments up to you the amount of your charges will go towards those purchases. Anything above that will then apply towards the vacation balance.

You can call Disney Visa to verify this, but I'm sure its the way it works. We've done this a bunch of times!
Yes, this is correct. It's how it has always worked for me.
Maggie'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:19 PM   #8
mpetti
DIS Veteran

Red face

Hi fellow Staten Islander. I thought with the Disney Visa Card there is a way to put the money towards the specific promotion. I seem to remember our last trip putting it on the card and indicated each month what amount I wanted to go toward my vacation. This way it was paid up before the 6 months. You should call up Chase and ask how it works. Good Luck.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:15 PM   #9
DznyLvr2005
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpetti View Post
Hi fellow Staten Islander. I thought with the Disney Visa Card there is a way to put the money towards the specific promotion. I seem to remember our last trip putting it on the card and indicated each month what amount I wanted to go toward my vacation. This way it was paid up before the 6 months. You should call up Chase and ask how it works. Good Luck.
Hi....
So if I just pay the $70 this month, you're saying that for the $399 that's left to pay, there will be 0% on it then?
My hubby told me yesterday that that's not how it works with credit cards, but now a few people on this post have said it does. Hmmmm, I guess at this point it doesn't really matter since we paid the whole thing off yesterday, but it would have been nice if I only paid the $70, then had another 5 months to pay the $399 balance because you know that living in SI is really expensive!!! LOL! Could have used the money for other things until then...

Old 05-16-2009, 05:20 PM   #10
lovindonald
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DznyLvr2005 View Post
Then I went to Target and spent $70. 9% interest.

A little off topic here, you have 9% interest on your Disney card???? I have 12.9%. I guess I should call and ask for it to be lowered. Thanks for the info!
lovindonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:22 PM   #11
DznyLvr2005
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovindonald View Post
A little off topic here, you have 9% interest on your Disney card???? I have 12.9%. I guess I should call and ask for it to be lowered. Thanks for the info!
it's 9.something. I got it last year. Definately call and see if yours can be lowered!!

Old 05-16-2009, 05:24 PM   #12
lovindonald
DIS Veteran

Thanks I will do that right now!! WOW, big difference!
lovindonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 06:03 PM   #13
a1tinkfans
Spreading Some Pixie Dust Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLAuburn View Post

Old 05-16-2009, 06:45 PM   #14
jackal
DIS Veteran

I just called Disney Visa and they said if you carry a balance and add your trip to the card, payments will be deducted from the zero percentage rate first. Or if you have your trip on the card at zero percent and then charge something else, they deduct it from the lowest percentage rate on your card. Which is what they were doing to me. I had a balance of a few hundred. Charged my trip and they take all my payments off the trip balance.

The agent I talked to just verified this as well that this is their procedure. He also indicated as of now, most, if not all credit companies operate under this rule.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:49 PM   #15
Maggie'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
I just called Disney Visa and they said if you carry a balance and add your trip to the card, payments will be deducted from the zero percentage rate first. Or if you have your trip on the card at zero percent and then charge something else, they deduct it from the lowest percentage rate on your card. Which is what they were doing to me. I had a balance of a few hundred. Charged my trip and they take all my payments off the trip balance.

The agent I talked to just verified this as well that this is their procedure. He also indicated as of now, most, if not all credit companies operate under this rule.
No, you were given incorrect information. I've used my card for two trips now. Both times payments I've made up to my statement balance excluding the amount of the trip, have gone against the non-trip balance. Only when I pay more than the amount of my non-trip charges is the anything deducted from my 0% balance.

E.g. Let's say I charge $2000 for a Disney vacation package. I charge an additional $1000 in that month on other items. When my statment comes, if I pay $1000, the amount at 0% stays at $2000. The $1000 in non-trip charges are paid off. And I end up paying no interest or finance charges. If I pay $1100 that month, the $1000 in non-trip charges are paid off and the balance at 0% is lowered to $1900.

If it wasn't handled this way, Chase couldn't advertise that you get 0% for six months on Disney vacation packages.
Maggie'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: