Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2009, 09:45 AM   #1
TheTXTaylors5
He's the Mickey to my Minnie

Last minute unplanned WDW trip makes for lots of unplanned magic! May 7-10 w/Pics

This was the most unplanned-last minute trip to WDW we have ever taken. DH and I started chatting on Monday (May 4th) about a quick trip to WDW. On Tuesday (May 5th), DH made our hotel reservation (POR), I called the dog boarder and got my car serviced (Yes, we were driving all the way from Texas on a whim), on Wednesday (May 6th) afternoon off we were to WDW.

(picture taken on this trip)

Cast of Travelers
Me (Jennifer) - SAHM and self-proclaimed Disney nut.
Favorite WDW ride/attraction: Rock 'n' Rollercoaster (DHS) (In the name of all that rocks. Hit it dude! - Stacy)
Favorite Disney Character: Snow White (Brunettes need to stick together!)

DH (Bill) - Hard working IT Manager. Our WDW trips are his "escape" from the fast-paced high stress environment of work.
Favorite WDW ride/attraction: Soarin' (Epcot) (EE close second.)
Favorite Disney Character: Mickey Mouse (The big cheese himself has always had a special place in DH's heart.)

DS9 - As he gets older, he gets more adventurous. Which makes our WDW trips more and more fun and a different experience for him each new trip. DH and I no longer have to ride RNR and EE alone.
Favorite WDW ride/attraction: Haunted Mansion (MK)
Favorite Disney Character: Pluto (Boy's best friend. Who doesn't love Pluto?)

DD6 - She is our girly girl. But, still a wild child at heart and up for some of the more adventurous rides at WDW now.
Favorite WDW ride/attraction: Test Track (Epcot) (Space Mountain close second. "That was awesome!" - DD6 after her very first ride on SM.)
Favorite Disney Character: Ariel

DS3 - He is like most boys his age, he loves anything related to Cars or Toy Story. With each new WDW trip, he is "willing" to ride more rides. A lot of people ask us why we visit WDW so much (usually three times a year). For us, each trip is a different experience and the children can atest to that.
Favorite WDW ride/attraction: Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin (MK)
Favorite Disney/Pixar Character: Buzz Lightyear (Little Green Aliens from Toy Story close second. He calls them Ewwwwww!)
2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR Trip Report ,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH (DLR) Trip Report, POR Trip Report , SSR Trip Report, BWV Trip Report , POFQ ~ DAP; 2010:BWV(2xs), ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) Trip Report ~ Napa Rose Review, AKV ~ DCL(Wonder) Trip Report; 2011:BCV(2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ F&W, MNSSHP, MVMCP, 1st 5K Race! ~ DCL(Dream);2012: AKV, BWV, BLT ~ F&W, MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy) ~ CC5K;2013: 04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ EEC & F&G, 10/Pop ~ F&W, 12/DLH (DLR), 12/PPH (DLR); 2014: 06/DCL ~ Wonder (Alaska), 11/DLR ~ Avengers 1/2 Marathon Weekend (1st 1/2 Marathon!), 11/AKV ~ Annual Thanksgiving Trip; 2015: 01/DLR ~ Star Wars 1/2 Marathon Weekend (5K & 1/2 Marathon), 11/BCV ~ Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon, 12/AKV & DCL ~ Christmas Trip; 2016: 09/Hawaii ~ Aulani or Disneyland Paris (20th Anniversary Trip)

Last edited by TheTXTaylors5; 05-15-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
TheTXTaylors5

Home Sweet Home

Dallas, TX to Orlando, FL (1,121 mi - 17.5 hrs)

DH had to finish up some work on Wednesday. So, we departed home around 2:30 PM (CST). He planned to drive through the night (He has done this on a few occasions. With lots of Java Monster and 5-hour Energy he was fine). Not only was this trip last minute, it was also our "Disney on a Dime" trip. We will be back in June (our big "expensive" lots of ADRs trip for DH's birthday). This trip needed to be on the cheap ( Insert BIG laughter here. Nothing at Disney is cheap. I know. But, we tried! ) DH got a really great AP rate for the room ($90). We couldn't pass it up. DS3 was the only one with a current AP (We let ours expire this past December.) We planned to get the rest of the family an AP during this trip. We will get three WDW trips out of them. Not too bad.

We pulled into Port Orleans - Riverside around 9:00 am (EST) with our fingers crossed that they would have a room ready. They did. Yea!!!!! We stayed at POR last year and really liked the resort. It is also one of the few resorts that has rooms to hold a family of five. When we pulled up to our building in the Alligator Bayou area, we noticed we were in the same building as last year. Just three doors away from our old room. It was nice to be "home".

Always when we enter our WDW room, the first order of business is to turn the tv to Top 7 and start our week long love/hate relationship with Stacy. Much to our dismay, this is what was on our tv ...

A show called Must Do Disney. I had seen a thread where DISers saw Stacy in the parks taping some new footage. Never did I think they would "completely" re-do the show. No more "Summit Plummit" (with the hand gesture), no more "Yummy! Yummy! Yummy! Yummy!" I have to admit, we were not too impressed with the new show and miss the old annoying Stacyisms. If you have never been to WDW, you probably are wondering what I am talking about?????? Those that are WDW vets know exactly what I am talking about. We miss "our Stacy". After a few rounds, we ended up putting the tv on the DVC channel instead. Casey is just as peppy and kooky as the old Stacy.

As expected, DH was tired upon arrival. So after changing and freshening up, I took the kids to Epcot while he got some sleep ...
2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR Trip Report ,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH (DLR) Trip Report, POR Trip Report , SSR Trip Report, BWV Trip Report , POFQ ~ DAP; 2010:BWV(2xs), ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) Trip Report ~ Napa Rose Review, AKV ~ DCL(Wonder) Trip Report; 2011:BCV(2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ F&W, MNSSHP, MVMCP, 1st 5K Race! ~ DCL(Dream);2012: AKV, BWV, BLT ~ F&W, MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy) ~ CC5K;2013: 04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ EEC & F&G, 10/Pop ~ F&W, 12/DLH (DLR), 12/PPH (DLR); 2014: 06/DCL ~ Wonder (Alaska), 11/DLR ~ Avengers 1/2 Marathon Weekend (1st 1/2 Marathon!), 11/AKV ~ Annual Thanksgiving Trip; 2015: 01/DLR ~ Star Wars 1/2 Marathon Weekend (5K & 1/2 Marathon), 11/BCV ~ Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon, 12/AKV & DCL ~ Christmas Trip; 2016: 09/Hawaii ~ Aulani or Disneyland Paris (20th Anniversary Trip)

Last edited by TheTXTaylors5; 05-18-2009 at 09:44 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-15-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
TheTXTaylors5

Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival

THURSDAY (May 7, 2009)

There is nothing like Epcot during the Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival (we attended last year too). All the Disney-themed topiaries are amazing.

When we entered the park (around 11 am), our first order of business was to get FPs for Soarin' and Test Track. Soarin' is one of DH's favorite rides. So, I wanted to make sure after his long drive, he at least got to ride it. He planned to meet up with us in Epcot later. They really need to put the Soarin' FP machines OUTSIDE The Land. I had to get DS3 out of his stroller and walk the three of them downstairs. This was a BIG pain. With FPs in hand (2 Soarin'/2 Test Track), we headed over to World Showcase.

DS9 had seen on the Disney Channel about Disney's Kim Impossible World Showcase Adventure. So, off we went to find a kiosk ...

Last edited by TheTXTaylors5; 05-19-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:21 AM   #4
shellym
Mouseketeer

Hi, I will be reading this with interest, as we were in POR when you were there! we stayed from april 29 til may 13 also in aligator bayou section. Can't wait to see your pics!
nov 04 DLP-Sequoia Lodge apr 06 WDW-All Star Movies apr 07 WDW-All Star Movies dec 07 DLP-Sequoia Lodge may 08 WDW-Port Orleans Riverside dec 08 DLP-Sequoia Lodge may 09-WDW Port Orleans Riverside may 10-WDW Port Orleans Riverside and Yacht Club
Old 05-15-2009, 11:30 AM   #5
TheTXTaylors5

Disney's Kim Possible World Showcase Adventure

Disney's Kim Possible World Showcase Adventure was created by some genius Imagineers.

(located in Innoventions)

Entering World Showcase from Canada, we ran into the kiosk in the UK. The CM there gave us a FP type ticket to show in Norway in about an hour. So, we slowly made our way around WS with some stops for drinks and breaks on benches. By now, the sun was in full force and drained most of the energy out of me and the kids. We went through a case of water in three days at WDW. We plan to bring two cases for our June trip.

(Hanging out in WS)

When our FP time arrived, we walked up to the CM at the Norway kiosk. They gave us a device that looked like a phone (okay, it was a "modified" mobile phone ). DS9 and DD6 were so excited to start their adventure. DD3 acted all excited. But, I am quite sure he didn't know what he was excited for. It was cute.

The phone tells you which country to visit and then your adventure begins. Once there, it gives you clues to find within the country. Once you find your clue, you press the phone and "something" is revealed. Only those with the phones can uncover the special effects. It was pretty cool and must be seen in person to totally understand what happens. I don't want to go too much into details, in case you want to try it for yourself. We completed adventures in Mexico, Germany and China. The kids definitely want to try it again during our June trip. Hopefully, we will get some new countries to explore. Does anyone know if you use the same park ticket (AP) to activate the phone, will it keep a memory of what you have already done? Just curious.

Last edited by TheTXTaylors5; 05-15-2009 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:40 AM   #6
TheTXTaylors5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellym View Post
Hi, I will be reading this with interest, as we were in POR when you were there! we stayed from april 29 til may 13 also in aligator bayou section. Can't wait to see your pics!
Welcome! Glad to have you along! How did you like POR?

About my pictures ... I was instructed by my family prior to departing for WDW that I was NOT allowed to take any pictures. My family was going on "Picture Strike" and refused in advance to pose for any pictures. I snuck my camera into my bag anyway and managed to get some great photographic memories. WDW is one big photo op IMO.

More photos to come ...

Jennifer

Last edited by TheTXTaylors5; 05-15-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:13 PM   #7
shellym
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTXTaylors5 View Post
Welcome! Glad to have you along! How did you like POR?

WDW is one big photo op IMO.
We love POR. stayed there last year too. Saving up for Beach or Yacht club next year though!

I'm always so surprised when we manage to take over 1500 pics per year and they are not all the same!!!
nov 04 DLP-Sequoia Lodge apr 06 WDW-All Star Movies apr 07 WDW-All Star Movies dec 07 DLP-Sequoia Lodge may 08 WDW-Port Orleans Riverside dec 08 DLP-Sequoia Lodge may 09-WDW Port Orleans Riverside may 10-WDW Port Orleans Riverside and Yacht Club
Old 05-15-2009, 12:51 PM   #8
TheTXTaylors5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellym View Post
We love POR. stayed there last year too. Saving up for Beach or Yacht club next year though!

I'm always so surprised when we manage to take over 1500 pics per year and they are not all the same!!!
So true! I've never counted how many pictures taken at WDW. But, it must be over 2,000. I've filled two memory cards before. But, that was in conjunction with some Disney cruises.

We love the Beach Club. That is our favorite WDW resort. Stormalong Bay is amazing. We've just hung around the resort and the boardwalk area before without stepping foot in a park. We are DVC Members. But, all our points are taken this year (June, November and December WDW trip). That is why we stayed at POR this year and last year. Also, we couldn't beat the price. My goal is to eventually stay at every WDW resort. Not a bad goal to have.

What did you think of the weather and crowds? We were melting from the heat/humidity. But, the small crowds made it worthwhile to me. How was it before we got there? We will be back the week of June 21st. I can't wait! I know it will be super hot. But, any day at Disney is better than a day at home.

Jennifer

Last edited by TheTXTaylors5; 05-15-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:14 PM   #9
TheTXTaylors5

Epcot continued ...

Epcot was so empty this day IMO ...

We came across a few characters with no line. We saw Mulan while in China doing the Kim Possible Advenure. I felt so bad for her, I kind of "forced" DD6 to go see her and get a picture taken. Same with DS9 and Donald in Mexico.

Snow White had a small line. But, the kids didn't want to see her. They wanted to play more on the play area near her instead. Poor Snow White.

By this time (4:30 pm), I called DH to see if he wanted to get something to eat with us. I felt bad calling and waking him up. But, the kids were begging to eat at Nine Dragons and I didn't want to eat there without DH. This is one of our favorite WS restaurants. DH was on his way ...

I sure hope they don't close Nine Dragons. We have never seen more than a handful of people in there at a time. On this day, the park was great crowd-wise. So, I really didn't need an ADR.

(I asked DS9 what he was doing. "I'm making Mickey ears". )

We ordered our "family favorites":
Appetizer - potstickers
Main Course - honey sesame chicken

Yum! Yum! The chicken was crispy with a light coating of the honey sauce. We haven't had it this good anywhere else. There was only one other couple in the restaurant near us. So, it was VERY quiet. Our waiter was very attentive and didn't rush us at all. It was so nice to be in the A/C, we didn't want to leave.

After our late-lunch/early dinner, we ventured over to FW to use the earlier obtained FPs.

Rider Swap is a great Disney perk. DH and DD6 went to to ride TT, while I went into the A/C with DS9 and DS3 to check out the new cars. I couldn't believe how many people were just sitting outside in the heat waiting for the rest of their party. Did they not know they could enter the building? I saw this at Mission:Space too. DD6 could ride TT over and over again if you let her. She breaks out in uncontrollable laughter when it does the outside loop. Pure Disney magic at it's best! I rode TT with DD6 when they got back. Then, we headed over to Mission:Space which had a five minute wait for the Green side. By this time, DS3 fell asleep in the stroller. So, I stayed with him while DH, DS9 and DD6 went on their mission to Mars. I was glad DS3 fell asleep at this point. I didn't need to coax him out of the play area at the exit of M:S as usual. DS9 loves Spaceship Earth and it had no line. DD6 wasn't too keen on riding it. So, DD6 and I waved good bye while DH and DS9 headed off to ride.

DD6, DS3 and I popped into Innoventions East and West. That is where we saw the Kim Possible display. It was getting close to Innoventions closing time (7 pm). So, we rushed through (mainly we wanted to stay in the A/C as long as possible ). DD6 and I had fun in there on our last trip doing the Where's the Fire interactive game. She wants to bring the rest of the family to do it in June. DH called and we met back up by the fountain. We headed over to The Land. So, DH could ride Soarin'. DS3 was still asleep and I didn't want to wake him up to go down and get a Rider Swap. So, DH rode with DS9 while DD6 and I sat at a bench right inside the entrance. They DO allow you to bring strollers into the entrance area. Sitting in the A/C almost made me fall asleep. DH did offer more than once to sit with DS3 while I rode with the other children. But, I said no. I honestly just like "being" at WDW and soaking in the atmosphere. I was happy just being there.

Last edited by TheTXTaylors5; 05-15-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:45 PM   #10
bhwhiz
Mouseketeer

Enjoying your TR!

'89 - Offsite
'92 - Offsite
'94 - Offsite
'00 - All Star Music
'09 - Pop Century
Old 05-15-2009, 02:07 PM   #11
TheTXTaylors5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhwhiz View Post
Enjoying your TR!
Welcome! The more, the merrier. Glad I'm not typing to myself.

More to come ...

Jennifer

Old 05-15-2009, 02:08 PM   #12
Myhappythought5
Mouseketeer

I am in. What a fun time!!
I really want to go durring this time to see all the flowers. That is one thing we have never done. It looks so beautiful!
Old 05-15-2009, 02:29 PM   #13
TheTXTaylors5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myhappythought5 View Post
I am in. What a fun time!!
I really want to go durring this time to see all the flowers. That is one thing we have never done. It looks so beautiful!
Welcome aboard! Forgive me if my posts get too wordy. I have so much to say and love talking about Disney.

We've gone the past two years during the International Flower and Garden Festival. I was surprised how much the children got into it. It was like a Look and Find of Disney characters with the topiaries. They had a blast!

Jennifer

Old 05-15-2009, 02:41 PM   #14
TheTXTaylors5

Epcot continued ...

After Soarin', we were all a little tired and decided to skip IllumiNations and head back for a good nights sleep. Not before we went on a hunt for one of these ...

Isn't he the cutest? This was my Mother's Day present. I heard about the Mickey gnomes. But, had the hardest time finding one. Most shops were out of them. As we were exiting WS at the International Gateway, DH popped into the store there and they had only two (2) left. The last two in the park that day. I assume they have more now, but it was a hunt to find them last week. Now, I need to find a safe place in the backyard to place him. For now, he sits on the hutch in my entryway. DS3 was the cutest yesterday. He looked up and said "Mommy, a hidden Mickey!" Yes, we've taught him well. He knows what hidden Mickeys are and FASTPASSes (I'll get to that one later in my Trip Report. )

Back to POR ...

Last edited by TheTXTaylors5; 05-15-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:40 PM   #15
TheTXTaylors5

THURSDAY continued ...

We arrived back at POR around 8:40 PM. DS9 and DD6 were still rowdy. So, I took them to the pool near our room while DH and DS3 relaxed in the room. The children had fun making some new friends, while I dangled my sore feet into the water. We did a lot of walking at Epcot. Around 9 PM, we could here the Epcot fireworks (IllumiNations). But, all the trees blocked any sort of view.

We went to bed failry early (10:30 pm) for our Disney trips. We planned to wake up and be at MK for EMH (AM) at 8 am. Good luck with that!

Coming up ... DHS and DAK (2 parks one day and the hot Florida sun )

Last edited by TheTXTaylors5; 05-18-2009 at 09:30 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: