Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2009, 10:44 PM   #1
kaos928
Mouseketeer

Wink Plans & schemes: Helping our significant others fall in love with Disney!

Ok people let's get together with our best laid plains of how to get our DBFs/DFs/DHs to fall for Disney so we can go back again and again!

I have encountered a whole ton of you while writing my PTR and reading other PTRs and TRs that I finally decided to start a thread for us to plan/scheme together!!

So let us know what your ideas are, make suggestions, ask questions, whatever! and hopefully we can make some progress with our significant others
My Disney Trips: 2/94 Ramada Main Gate, 2/95 Days Inn, 2/96 ASMu, 11/96 Days Inn, 2/97 Dixie Landing, 11/97 Contemporary, 11/98 Coronado Springs, 2/99 ASMu, 4/99 ASMo & ASMu, 11/99 AS Sports, 2/00 All-Star Sports, 10/00 ASMu, 2/01 Grosvenor, 2/02 ASMu, 2/04 Port Orleans, 12/04 POP, 2/06 Pop, 8/06 Pop, 8/09 ASMu w/DBF, 5/10 AKV Disneymoon

Next: March 12th 2012

Last edited by kaos928; 05-23-2009 at 11:48 PM.
kaos928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:01 PM   #2
DisneyFaeriePrincess
Chocolate and Mickey, what else could be better.

hey!!! I'm in! I don't have any ideas right now except plan as much as we can to make things go well while we're down there so they'll love it!!! I hope I have some better ideas soon!
'95=Port Orleans '96=OKW '97=OKW '98=OKW in Jan. with Nonna and Grandma and OKW in summer '99=OKW and New Years trip '00=OKW '01=7 day Disney Cruise on the Magic and a week at Boardwalk '02=My bandtrip to WDW in May(off property) and OKW in the summer '03=OKW in the summer and for New Years '04=7 day Disney Cruise on the Magic and a day trip to Downtown Disney '05=OKW in the summer and AKL for New Years '06=My brother's bandtrip to WDW in May and OKW in the summer '07=OKW '08=OKW '09=Pop Century for DBF's first WDW trip'10=Disneyland with the family and Pop Century with DBF for my birthday '11=AKL and DCL for our honeymoon'12=Pop Century for my birthday our 1 year wedding anniversary '13=OKW with the whole family!! '13=OKW for Christmas decorations! '14=Pop for anniversary and birthday trip
Me DH Rajah

DisneyFaeriePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-14-2009, 11:39 PM   #3
topmonkeygirl
DIS Veteran

Here are a few.

My DH likes down time so I'm planning on staying at the contemporary where he will not only have his down time but in a nice place.

Drinking around the world.

Taking a side trip to Universal for the big thrill rides.

And my number one idea for making the hubby fall for Disney (Drum roll please) the Driving Experience.

It really is a "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow".
topmonkeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:07 AM   #4
BradyBz12
1340.63 miles too far from the Fort

I'll tell you what worked for me.... camping at FW.

DH wasn't a big WDW parks fan. There's plenty he enjoys, but he doesn't feel the need to scour every inch every year.

That changed when we started bringing our TT to FW. Now he can relax and enjoy something he loves (camping), he doesn't have to worry about leaving our dogs behind (they come with us!) and we can get our park fix at a leisurely pace and still feel like we actually have a vacation!

After the first year camping, he was already planning the following year's trip before we'd checked out. And in '07, about halfway through out 2nd week, he was already plotting how we could swing 3 weeks the following year!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have (2) 10% AP discount cards. PM me if interested.
I can put them in the mail tomorrow... no charge!
BradyBz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:35 AM   #5
TinkerCarol
6 Years Cancer Free Mouseketeer

Not happening here!

I gave up 2 years ago. Now I just go with my grown kids and granddaughter. He did the Driving Experience the time we went, so that did work. Now we just go without him. So if I see some good ideas on here I will try next year. The rest of us already have resies for July this year.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:58 AM   #6
torsie24
Or I could call it the postalabration
Now I know to wear flip flops!
Got engaged on a trip to Disneyland Paris

I always worry before a trip that he might not have a great time, but once we're there he's the who has to hold the lever on Dumbo, and spin the wheel on the teacups, he also has this thing where he LOVES waving to people while we are on rides I think it's a good sign and when I ask him about it he says "It's Disney, so I'm sharing my happiness with them". Like he does it on every ride, the wort is dumbo where we are just going round past the same people over and over and he's waving like a wierdo! (I do enjoy waving when the train goes past though or if I'm riding the train!)

In short, I think it's pretty hard to have a bad time at Disney. Even if you are a grumpy old man

I also see the magic look on his face as we enter Main Street, and the main thing I think that keeps him coming back is the way he looks at me when I'm crying at the fireworks, or Mickey hugging a child, or the parade, he just enjoys having me so carefree I think.

(Also he's very excited for WDW as he really wants to ride EE!!)

WDW: 1994-I Drive / 2009-AKL / 2011-Disney Wedding -AKL-GF RPC-BW-BLT
DLRP 1997-HNY / 2000-SL / 2008-SL / 2009-DLH / 2012-HNY
DLR: 2005-Day Trip
torsie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:55 AM   #7
ShannonMB
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by torsie24 View Post
I always worry before a trip that he might not have a great time, but once we're there he's the who has to hold the lever on Dumbo, and spin the wheel on the teacups, he also has this thing where he LOVES waving to people while we are on rides I think it's a good sign and when I ask him about it he says "It's Disney, so I'm sharing my happiness with them". Like he does it on every ride, the wort is dumbo where we are just going round past the same people over and over and he's waving like a wierdo! (I do enjoy waving when the train goes past though or if I'm riding the train!)

In short, I think it's pretty hard to have a bad time at Disney. Even if you are a grumpy old man

I also see the magic look on his face as we enter Main Street, and the main thing I think that keeps him coming back is the way he looks at me when I'm crying at the fireworks, or Mickey hugging a child, or the parade, he just enjoys having me so carefree I think.

(Also he's very excited for WDW as he really wants to ride EE!!)
Sounds like YOUR DH doesn't need much convincing. We'll be going without mine for the 2nd time in a row in Nov. I keep hoping seeing DD and me so excited over it will turn him, and I haven't given up hope yet. Maybe next year. But hey, if he's not going to get into the magic with us, I'd rather he stay home. Plus I know he likes having the house to himself for a week!

ShannonMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:54 AM   #8
choirchic
DIS Veteran

I was extremely nervous the first time I took DBF to Disney...if it makes you feel better, he is now DH and we've been going every year since we got married...He is sitting behind me as I'm writing and wants everyone to know that Disney World is definitely more for the adults then the commercials make it out to be!

Yes things like ESPN Zone, The Driving Experience, and Drinking Around the World are all Manly, but there are other things...

We do silly things like making "creative" bets with each other on the Buzz Lightyear and Toy Story rides.

If it's just the two of you, carriage rides around POR are beautiful.

Order a special Dessert...I did this last year for my husband and he loved it because it was something made just for him!

These are just a few of the things we have done...I also plan on surprising him this year and taking him on the Characters in Flight Balloon.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:58 AM   #9
OandA
But Enough of This Palaver, Lets Get This Show On The Road

Your ideas won't work. I'll never understand guys who don't like Disney. As a guy myself I think that they are just insecure about looking weak or are incapable of feeling like a kid and that is sad.

For me, in a relationship it is a prerequisite for my GF to like Disney. I don't feel I should have to convince the person I am with to enjoy my favorite place in the world with me.
May 2012 Pop Century 5/10-5/21 | September 2012 Pop Century 9/13-9/23 |2011 Polynesian (10 days) | 2010 Pop Century (13 days) | 2009 Pop Century (7 days) · Polynesian (10 days) | 2008 Polynesian (7 days) | 2001 off-site | 2000 off-site | 1999 off-site | 1998 off-site | 1997 off-site | 1996 off-site | 1995 off-site | 1994 off-site · Fort Wilderness | 1993 Fort Wilderness | 1992 Fort Wilderness | 1991 Fort Wilderness | 1990 Fort Wilderness | 1989 Fort Wilderness | 1988 Fort Wilderness | 1987 Fort Wilderness | 1986 Fort Wilderness
OandA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:07 AM   #10
Darcy03231
DIS Veteran

Good luck! DH hasn't been back to WDW for 20 years! We just go without him.
Darcy03231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:12 AM   #11
torsie24
Or I could call it the postalabration
Now I know to wear flip flops!
Got engaged on a trip to Disneyland Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonMB View Post
Sounds like YOUR DH doesn't need much convincing. We'll be going without mine for the 2nd time in a row in Nov. I keep hoping seeing DD and me so excited over it will turn him, and I haven't given up hope yet. Maybe next year. But hey, if he's not going to get into the magic with us, I'd rather he stay home. Plus I know he likes having the house to himself for a week!
I know - I realised when I wrote it that it seems he's a huge Disney lover.

Yet everytime it comes to booking a trip he says he doesn't want to go to Disney....

It's convincing him to go that's the struggle - not having fun once we get there!

WDW: 1994-I Drive / 2009-AKL / 2011-Disney Wedding -AKL-GF RPC-BW-BLT
DLRP 1997-HNY / 2000-SL / 2008-SL / 2009-DLH / 2012-HNY
DLR: 2005-Day Trip
torsie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:12 AM   #12
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

I think there's something for everyone at Disney and you just have to find it and show them!

My DH and teenage son's have not been, so I've found things that I thought would interest them: DH-drinking around the world, F&W, dressing up at MNSSHP, I actually got him tipsy and he bought a purple top hat on ebay to wear!

For my teenage boys that are just "too cool", I focused on the more thrilling rides, Jack Skellington stuff (b/c skulls are cool, ya know) and the hot tub we'll have at the house!

Hopefully once we get there, the rest will be WDW magic and they'll be hooked like my dd and I are! If not, we'll be taking some mother/daughter trips in the near future!
Twoboysnmygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:20 AM   #13
serene56
DIS Veteran

My honey does not like Disney. He feels it is not a vacation that he can relax with-- with all the hurrying and waiting.
He has been twice and thought that he seen it all.

I had a grand daughter in 2005- waiting til 2010 when she turns 5.

Yep- you got it- He is super excited. Nothing like doing Disney through the eyes of a child.

My suggestion-- get grandbabies. I bet that I can get that man to go back within a year after taking her--- (LOL) as long as I bring her.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:02 AM   #14
Crystal_27
DIS Veteran

Food bribery always helps... I make sure that DH is involved in our ADR planning as much as possible to ensure that we are eating at restuarants where he will get a good meal (steakhouses, mostly). Also, DH is more a fan of cruising than the parks (whereas I'm the opposite) so we alternate park vacations and cruise vacations. Still, I guess I'm very lucky that DH actually likes vacationing at Disney. He's a keeper!

Me (34); DD (9)
December, 2007 Land/Sea Trip Report
9 Days of Disney Dining (Food Report)
March, 2009 Trip Report
September, 2009 Eastern Cruise Trip Report

Next trips: Aulani in September, 2014 and Thanksgiving, 2014 on the Magic (YAY).
Crystal_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:09 AM   #15
Starlilly
Disney World Is My Dream Come True!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaos928 View Post

Ok people let's get together with our best laid plains of how to get our DBFs/DFs/DHs to fall for Disney so we can go back again and again!

I have encountered a whole ton of you while writing my PTR and reading other PTRs and TRs that I finally decided to start a thread for us to plan/scheme together!!

So let us know what your ideas are, make suggestions, ask questions, whatever! and hopefully we can make some progress with our significant others
great thread!!! Im totally subscribing

I have been married to my DH for 3 years (together for 4) and Ive been slipping the "we need to go to disney world" pitch since day 1!

at first he was very reluctant, he had never been to DL or WDW, and knew very little about them. His view was that it was only for kids and the only reason adults went were if they had kids who begged them to take them there

well, over the past few years I have slowly been changing his mind about it. The best thing was EDUCATING him about how large it is, and how many things you can do besides the "parks" . when i showed him a documentary on the Travel channel and it said "Disney world is 40 square miles" DH was totally shocked! its all been good since then!!!

He has actually said a few times he is "excited" (in the most reserved way possible, of course. LOL) just because its so big, and now he knows how much there is to do.

so there is my psuedo-success story (were going january 2010) on how i converted a die-hard disney world hater, into a future enthusist. my tips are to listen to what your man wants and cater to those needs to ensure they have a good time. for example, my DH *hates* heat, and really is not very patient. So I decided to book our trip durring the slowest time of year, and also when its very mild weather. That way I know I have eliminated his biggest conserns and we can just focus on having fun. he is a big kid at heart, so even though he is still a little skeptical, i know once we get there he will enjoy the experience!

2012: Carribean Beach Resort, 9 days! January 27 - Febrary 4
My journeys:
2005: Port Orleans, 2 weeks
2004: POP, 1 week
1996: Offsite
1995: Port Orleans
1993: Dixie Landings

http://ink-ablaze.com
Starlilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: