Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
myasma
Mouseketeer

Princess Mya's Magical Wish Trip!!!!!!! - Trip Report Complete!!!

Well I finally decided to start a pre wish trip report as our wish is finally on its way to being granted. I will start by introducing everyone.

ME(Shardai, 21) I am the mom to a beautiful little girl and will be the maitre'd of this trip report.

Wish child(Mya, 2) Mya was born on October 27, 2006. The moment I saw her I knew my life had changed for the better. She was declared a perfectly healthy little girl and I saw only happiness and laughter in our future. She grew from babyhood into a smart and adorable toddler. Mya never missed her doctor's appointments and was up to date on all her shots. I never foresaw what would happen next.

Late August of her 2008 in her 22nd month I recieved a frantic call from her grandmother. She had found a lump on her groin while giving her a bath. I didn't really think much of it untill I saw her the next day. The lump had appeared out of nowhere and I knew something was wrong. I took her to St. Christophers hospital the next day and by that time a second lump had started growing right next to the first one. An E.R physician felt her lump and declared it a swollen lymphnode most likely due to a bacterial infection. Now I had a feeling this was not the case. Mya had had no symptoms of a bacterial infection. I took the antibiotic prescription and left. I took her to the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia the next day and after running some scans also declared it a swollen lymphnode due to a bacterial infection.

By this time I was getting frustrated. I knew these antibiotics would not work because she did not have a bacterial infection. As the days passed the lump would get bigger and bigger. Five days after taking the antibiotics mya woke up at 12 am screaming bloody murder. I couldn't calm her down and laying her down caused her physical pain. I got ready to take her to the hospital because I noticed that she was walking with a limp like she was sixty years old instead of almost two and she would only sit down resting on her knees. My mom told me to take her in the morning. She finally calmed down but she woke up screaming at 4 am again and when I changed her she had two deep red gashes running down her privates. I left work early that day to take her to the hospital.

The E.R doctors still believed that she had a bacterial infection and I had to beg them to admit her. They finally agreed and Mya spent a week on four different antibiotics while the lumps in her groin kept growing. Finally when a third lump appeared in her neck, they decided to do a biopsy. On September the fifth I found out that my precious child had cancer. On September the Eighth I found out that she had a rare cancer called Sacrococcygeal Endodermal Sinus Tumor. Only 1 child in a million gets it per year. Mya went through 4 rounds of chemotherapy and surgery where she was declared no evidence of disease. Amonth later she relapsed. Now we are in the last round of chemo and uncertain of what we will do next.

Mya's social worker sent in the application to Make A Wish and I recieved a call on Tuesday to set up the initial visit. Mya's wish is to go to Disney World.

Last edited by myasma; 08-14-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:16 PM   #2
myasma
Mouseketeer

Just wanted to post some pics of mya and myself.

Mya during first treatment.

On day of relapse.

During second treatment.

Mya has been entranced with Disney since the day she met Minnie at the hospital. Everytime I play the brochure DVD, her eyes light up and she gets all excited. She reminds me of the little boy in the commercial who packs months in advance to go to Disney. I show her the pics on the DIS boards and she asks me a million questions each time. Mya has a hearing loss in both ears due to the chemo she has gotten and at one point had a hard time communicating, she still does sometimes. Yet she immediately learned the sign for Disney and now tells me all the time I wanna go to Disney. So when the time came to make her wish, I undoubtedly knew what it was going to be.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-15-2009, 08:09 AM   #3
maroo
DIS Veteran

Oh, she is precious, precious, precious!!!

Bless your heart for all that you guys have been through!

I can't wait for dates!!!

I am adding you guys to the Wish Trippers Thread!! Join in over there, too!
Old 05-15-2009, 08:21 AM   #4
maroo
DIS Veteran

I have one more question for you guys...

Is it just the two of you going on the trip or do you guys get to bring another family member or friend?
Old 05-15-2009, 08:59 AM   #5
keetmommy
Mouseketeer

Hope you have a magical trip and she stays healthy for you.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:12 AM   #6
myasma
Mouseketeer

I was going to expliain that part in my next post, we do get to bring atleast one other person with us since its only the two of us and I do not drive. The problem is I had no idea who to take but now I narrowed it down to two scenarios. Either I will take Myas paternal grandmother or I will take my mom and try to get approval for my sister also. If my mom and sister go, my sister would have to bring my niece who only just turned one and is completely free and I dont know if make a wish will pay for both of them. On the other hand I do not want to go with just my mom as we do not always get along and the last thing I need is stress on Mya's special trip. So I really don't know who to take with us.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:46 AM   #7
HeatherSue

I can't wait to hear more about Mya's Wish trip! She looks like such a sweetheart! She's such a beautiful child (and her momma, too)!

Old 05-15-2009, 11:08 AM   #8
maroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by myasma View Post
I was going to expliain that part in my next post, we do get to bring atleast one other person with us since its only the two of us and I do not drive. The problem is I had no idea who to take but now I narrowed it down to two scenarios. Either I will take Myas paternal grandmother or I will take my mom and try to get approval for my sister also. If my mom and sister go, my sister would have to bring my niece who only just turned one and is completely free and I dont know if make a wish will pay for both of them. On the other hand I do not want to go with just my mom as we do not always get along and the last thing I need is stress on Mya's special trip. So I really don't know who to take with us.
Hmm...That sounds like a tough and loaded question!

I wonder if you could find out from the wish folks if your sister would be approved and then decide?

Either way, I hope something somehow makes the decision easier for you guys!
Old 05-15-2009, 01:24 PM   #9
myasma
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by keetmommy View Post
Hope you have a magical trip and she stays healthy for you.
I hope so to. We are looking at July and August as she is getting her last round of chemo and radiation or surgery should be over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherSue View Post
I can't wait to hear more about Mya's Wish trip! She looks like such a sweetheart! She's such a beautiful child (and her momma, too)!
She is really adorable. Everyone falls in love with her from the moment they meet her. I can't wait to find out more either. I have been excited about this trip since finding out that she qualifies for a wish.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:02 PM   #10
Corrine 1973
What do you mean I am not a princess, don't you see my crown!!!

I must say that your daughter is just precious. And I love the name, and I am not just saying that because I also have a Princess Mia (short for Ameliya). OK, maybe just a little.

I am so glad that you stuck in there insisting that the hospital admite her. I realy wish doctors would trust the parents more, they see them for a couple of minutes and see what symptoms are occuring at that moment. We are with them all the time and know our children. I had to fight with my sons peditrician to get the diagnosis and still seems to be in denial. Good thing he isn't the one treating him.

I am so glad that your daughter's wish is to go to Disney World. I am sure you will have a wonderful time and I hope you will be able to work with MaW to get your mom and sister to come along.

Keep us updated!!!
Old 05-15-2009, 03:23 PM   #11
myasma
Mouseketeer

Mya's meeting with her fairies was supposed to be on May 21st at 6 pm. Unfortunately we are in the midst of a long hospital stay and we are looking at the 22nd of March as a discharge date. I called her fairies and left a message asking if they could come to the hospital and am waiting for them to call me back. If they cannot, we will have to reschedule the meeting.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:32 PM   #12
maroo
DIS Veteran

Aww!! I hope the fairies can come see you in the hospital! I would think they do that occasionally?

Let us know how it goes!
Old 05-16-2009, 06:28 PM   #13
Matt1026
Mouseketeer

What a precious princess you have! I hope you have the greatest week ever!!!

My little boy finally afer weeks of telling them somthing was just not right and I knew in heart he was not right was diagnosed with a rare disease. So I know always follow your heart when it comes to your child. You know when something is just not right.

I wish you the best!!!! Can not wait to hear more from your trip. We are hoping to take our trip in September (we are waiting for our dates). My son finishes his chemo in July so we know we have to wait until after that.

BEST WISHES
Old 05-17-2009, 11:24 PM   #14
myasma
Mouseketeer

Just wanted to add some more pics of Mya. These are her flashes of hope pics, they area orginization who comes to various hospitals and take pics of the kids for free. Afterwards the parents are given a copy of the pics and a c.d with copies of the pictures. These phhotos really came out nice.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:54 AM   #15
HeatherSue

Beautiful pictures!! I especially love the last one!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: