Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2011, 09:09 PM   #46
WA Kay
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsprincess View Post
Finish it!!!!!!!!!!!! I was just getting into it. Don't leave us all hanging!!!!! The suspense is killing me. Can't wait to read more and see your pictures.
Davidsprincess,
Thanks for encouraging me to finish. It was the motivation I needed and I appreciate you stopping by to read my TR.
WA Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #47
davidsprincess
Courtesy Loretta!! Courtesy!

Your last entry just cracks me up!!! I can't stop giggling. I could just picture the whole scene with the suitcase filled with junkfood You are doing great with the telling of your trip. I feel like I was there with you!! Keep it up. You are doing great!

Register to remove

Old 03-08-2011, 01:07 AM   #48
WA Kay
Mouseketeer

Benj's first steps into Dineyland.

I did not bring my camera because I didn't want to have to carry it or hassle with anything other than having fun for those first few hours. I am, however, going to post a few pictures I took a couple of days later. When I was doing my trip planning there had been some people asking about the Disneyland Kennel Club so I made a point of finding it. I tried to take the photos all in a row and in relation to the entrance.

Starting from the right hand side of the entrance area and continuing on to the right.

I think most of the time we are in such a hurry to get into the parks that we don't notice the things outside. I meant to find the outside picnic area but we never even went to Downtown Disney.

We got into a relatively short line and were inside in just a few minutes. I was surprised because it was a Saturday. No stopping to look at the Mickey Mouse head garden just a straight line for the tunnel under the train tracks.

Why is it that I am completely incapable of coming out from under the train tracks for the first day on each trip without crying? Every single time in my adult life. Like a baby.

We decided to go straight up the stairs and get onto the train for a quick ride to New Orleans Square so Benj's second ride would be on Pirates. What 10 year old boy wouldn't love it. This was the first time that I had been on the ride since the movie based changes were made and I did enjoy them. Captain Jack was a nice addition. Benj loved the ride as I knew he would.

We spent the rest of the evening hitting all our favorites. During Fantasmic we were able to get right onto several rides so that was great. We decided to leave at 11:00pm in hopes of beating the rush. We purchased ART passes for the week so we would have a choice of walking or riding and I am glad we did. By the end of the day we were beat and that 10 minute walk would have ended with me crawling the last 100 yards.

We got on the ART shuttle at 11:23pm (I found that on the back of my ART pass. First use time stamp.) and headed back to the hotel. Even the walk from the bus stop right in front of the hotel to our room seemed to take forever. But we made it and went to bed with smiles on our faces and dreams of Magic Morning dancing in our heads.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:07 PM   #49
WA Kay
Mouseketeer

A toaster??!

June 21, 2009 (Sunday)

Keeping in mind that I was born and have spent my entire life living just north of Seattle... I love cool weather. Honestly. My favorite days are driving rain with a good book. I sleep with my bedroom window open 360 days a year. I can live with the heat but I need the evenings to cool down in order to sleep well. The problem is that when I travel to warm climates I like the cool that you get from air conditioning but I get all stuffed up after a day or two. Not sure if it is recycled air or what but I end up sounding like I have a cold.

So, the plan was to try and sleep with the balcony door open at night. Sandy and I closed the door between the other two sisters and us, turned off the ac, and opened the sliding glass door. I stripped everything off the bed but the sheets and it worked out great. I wouldn't call the evenings cool but good enough to sleep pretty good and I could actually breath all week.

We decided to use our Magic Morning today as we figured that Sunday would be the busiest day of our week at the parks. Turned out to be true. Disneyland's regular opening time was 8:00am so we planned on getting there by 6:30am. The hope was to be out waiting for the ART shuttle by 6:00 but we would be happy with 6:15. The other sisters idea of early is anything before 9am so we knew it would be a challenge to get them moving.

As soon as we got up we opened the connecting door hoping our "noise" would get them up and going and it seemed to work. At about 5:50 I went into the other room to see how close they were to being ready and what did I see? A freaking toaster! Seriously... an entire suitcase of junk food was not enough but now we need kitchen appliances from home. Now I could understand it if luggage was still free on airplanes but it is not. I just don't understand. This is their idea of packing light?

Anyway... Sandy, Benj, and I headed out the door for the ART stop in front of the office at 5:55am. We were leaving on the next shuttle with or without the other two. They managed to make it by 6:13 and the shuttle came a few minutes later. Off to our first shiny morning at the Happiest Place on Earth.

We were at security by about 6:25 and made it through very quickly. Pretty short lines there and at the gates. We waited around taking in that "early morning quiet excitement". You know how it is. Everyone is kind of quiet and maybe still a little bit asleep until it gets closer to opening. I am not sure what time they started letting everyone in but as soon as we crossed under the train tracks and I cried again (Come on. I already cried last night. What the heck? I am hopeless.) I took my little group over to City Hall.

You see, this day was to celebrate Benj's half year birthday. The poor kid was born on December 21st. A date often lost in the holiday shuffle. So I wanted to give him a special day today. We went in and I asked ever so nicely for a Birthday button for Benj, 1st Time buttons for the Spokane sisters, and a Citizenship button for Sandy. Score. Thank you to the nice cast member who took an extra minute to talk to Benj.

Now we are off to our first steps down MainStreet USA. Last night we kept to the train so Benj could be with him Mom on his first walk down to Walt & Mickey's statue.

I love this little area at the end of MainStreet. The statue, seating, and view. It is a nice place to sit and people watch. Next stop FantasyLand. That is me with the lime green Baggallini.

Last edited by WA Kay; 03-09-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:06 PM   #50
WA Kay
Mouseketeer

Heading through Sleeping Beauty Castle we headed over to Peter Pan's Flight first, then Dumbo, King Aurthur Carrousel and then we did a loop around to all the inside/dark rides. We made very good time and surprisingly everyone kept up and was having fun. Magic Morning is well worth getting up early for.

At about 9:00am we headed over to Tomorrowland Terrace for a late breakfast/early lunch. Because today was Benj's "birthday day" I was doing everything I could to get him picked for Jedi Training. (Thank you DISers for all the great tips.) We arrived early to get a table with a view, quickly fed Benj, parked him in the first spot on the right hand side facing the stage, and waited. I purchased him a bright yellow/orange Star Wars shirt and made a sign.

By 10:00am the place was packed and kids were waiting as patiently as they could. I did not see any other kids with signs so I was very hopeful. Watching the cast members/Jedi Masters get these kids all worked up and excited is truly a sight to see. In no time at all the entire place was ramped up and ready to take on the "dark side."

Benj front and center with his mouth wide open.

Then what happens? You guessed it. Sound system problems and they canceled the show. Talk about a let down. Oh well, everyone was pretty understanding and we had plenty of opportunities to come and try again.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:45 AM   #51
WA Kay
Mouseketeer

What to do now?

Now that our schedule had been altered slightly we finished eating at a more leisurely pace. I have heard negative things about Tomorrowland Terrace but we have always liked it. It is not great food but good enough considering it is fast food, big portions, and cheap prices. Great for sharing. I was surprised that we were able to get both lunch and breakfast menu items. We ended up getting two breakfasts, two burgers, and a fruit platter for sharing.

After eating far too much food we decided we would need to hit a couple of "calmer" rides so we headed over to Storybook Land. The line was still relatively short and everyone enjoyed it. I did not take any pictures "inside" the ride as I am not big on scenery pictures. I prefer pictures with people in them so here are a few as we were heading into the whale.

After this we went over to Small World. By now the lines were getting pretty long so with some time to kill.... well, the shenanigans began. The two "youngest" started pestering each other like a couple of naughty 5 year olds. I am sure that I do not need to tell you which "kid" started it.

I can't believe we got them to settle down long enough for this picture.

This was the first time I had been on the ride since the redo and it really did look "refreshed". It is not anywhere near my favorite ride but it is a classic and I was glad when they decided to give it a face lift. The Spokane sisters loved it and Benj didn't hate it. Not "10 year old boy cool" but no complaints.

We decided, based on how close we were, that ToonTown was up next. There was high hopes that all that walking would help burn off some of that food we ate and it worked.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:34 PM   #52
WA Kay
Mouseketeer

First stop Mickey's house.

Our first stop was Micky's house so the Spokane family could meet him for the first time.

Then we set everyone free to explore at their own pace. I wandered a bit and took a few pictures and then parked on a bench in the shade. At 1pm in Southern California the heat was starting to catch up with me and as a skin cancer patient I have to be careful.

I know at some point Benj, Sandy, and I went on Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin. I love that ride as I do most of Toontown. I would sure hate to loose it the way DisneyWorld has. It is a great place to let the kids explore and relax a bit.

By now it is getting pretty close to 2pm and we decided to head on out of the park for the afternoon. Sandy, Benj, and I went straight back to the hotel and the other two hit Mainstreet for some shopping.

After we got back to HoJo's Benj and I did some swimming and then we all had some lunch in the room. Then it was, of course, nap time. One of my favorite times of the day.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:36 PM   #53
TheColtonsMom
DIS Veteran

Just hopped aboard your TR. I am enjoying your trip and look forward to more. Plus as a bonus looks like I finally found someone who takes longer than me to finish one up...Gotta love that I was starting to feel guilty toward my fans...well mostly they are my son's fans I think LOL.

You are a good aunt! I too have family that I chose instead of being born into so I totally get it!

My 2010 Christmas TR is at http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2613318
My 2011 Halloween PTR is at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....613318&page=29
Me Sherri , DH Brant ,DS6Colton
TheColtonsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:13 AM   #54
WA Kay
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheColtonsMom View Post
Just hopped aboard your TR. I am enjoying your trip and look forward to more. Plus as a bonus looks like I finally found someone who takes longer than me to finish one up...Gotta love that I was starting to feel guilty toward my fans...well mostly they are my son's fans I think LOL.

You are a good aunt! I too have family that I chose instead of being born into so I totally get it!
Thanks for stopping by. If feels good to know that there are people out there appreciating trip report efforts. Yah. It sure did take a bit of time to get this thing going again but it has been fun remembering the trip.

You are correct that Colton seems to have quite the fan club but it is clear to me that he is an amazing boy because he is surrounded by a great family. You do get the sole credit for being a great writer. I have seen you in several places and enjoy reading your stuff. Particularly with the Divas. They look like a fun group of women.

Looking forward to more of your TR.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:18 AM   #55
TheColtonsMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA Kay View Post
Thanks for stopping by. If feels good to know that there are people out there appreciating trip report efforts. Yah. It sure did take a bit of time to get this thing going again but it has been fun remembering the trip.

You are correct that Colton seems to have quite the fan club but it is clear to me that he is an amazing boy because he is surrounded by a great family. You do get the sole credit for being a great writer. I have seen you in several places and enjoy reading your stuff. Particularly with the Divas. They look like a fun group of women.

Looking forward to more of your TR.
I hope they are as fun in person...but it looks like a great time was had and next years trip sits firmly the week before our family trip so I should be able to go.

I just finished another part of my TR just before I came to check on yours so I hope you continue to enjoy it!

My 2010 Christmas TR is at http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2613318
My 2011 Halloween PTR is at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....613318&page=29
Me Sherri , DH Brant ,DS6Colton
TheColtonsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:39 AM   #56
WA Kay
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheColtonsMom View Post
I hope they are as fun in person...but it looks like a great time was had and next years trip sits firmly the week before our family trip so I should be able to go.

I just finished another part of my TR just before I came to check on yours so I hope you continue to enjoy it!
Talk about timing. I just came from your TR.

I would love to join the Divas but this fall we are going on a family cruise and fall 2012 we are going to Disneyland in October as I have never seen the Halloween decorations. Maybe 2013.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:20 PM   #57
BellaBaby
DIS Veteran

Just found your trippie!! Enjoying it and waiting for more!!

Me and DH DD (13) DD (11) DS (9)

4/03 ASMO/CBR 4/05 HOJO'S DL 4/07 NICK HOTEL/WH 4-5/09 NICK HOTEL/WH 6/10 WH 5-6/11 HOJO'S DL 6/12 WH/AKV/POLY 5-6/13WH 5-6/14 HOJO'S DL 8/14 CSR
BellaBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:13 AM   #58
WA Kay
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBaby View Post
Just found your trippie!! Enjoying it and waiting for more!!
Thank you for joining in. It is great to have you here and just the motivation to get me writing.

Last edited by WA Kay; 03-22-2011 at 07:02 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:01 AM   #59
WA Kay
Mouseketeer

So... after some much needed down time away from the afternoon heat and crowds we were ready to head back to the park. I believe it was about 6:30 pm when we left the hotel and rode ART on over. I did not bring my camera for this trip as I just wanted to enjoy without having to carry anything. The security line was pretty short and I was happy to noticed that overall everyone was ready by the time they got up to the front of the security line. People had their bags opened etc. so it moved quickly.

As we walked under the train tracks we heard the train coming so we very quickly decided to ride it to the next stop. Next stop New Orleans Square. I love the train and the best time is in the evenings when it starts to cool off. You get that nice breeze as you circle the park. After we got off the train and saw the largest crowds I had ever seen lining up for Fantasmic this early we changed our minds on watching it and decided to hit the rides instead. With the masses lined up for Fantasmic we were able to walk right onto most rides. If there were lines they were very short.

We decided to start at the top of the hill and work our way down. We hit Splash first, using Fast Passes that we had collected in the morning, then Pooh, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Indy, and then the Jungle Cruise. Now I have to stop and say that I love the JC at night. It is a whole different experience and worth the effort. Things are lit up nicely so you can still see everything but it has a quietness to it that is nice. Next we went to the Tiki Room and , of course, had our Dole Whips while watching the pre-show. Now came the real challenge... getting from the Tiki Room over to Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Yes I know it is not that far but add the thousands of Fantasmic viewers into the mix and you have grid lock the likes of which most New Yorkers have never seen.

I am not sure how but we all made it in one piece. I was at the front of the line and knew that Benj was holding onto the back of my shirt. It turns out that they had all grabbed the shirt in front of them making us a 5 person chain not to be broken. Well we must have looked silly but no one got lost so whatever works. We all rode BTMR together and then everyone wanted to go again because there was no line. As I was getting more than just a little motion sickness I waited on a bench near the exit holding all the bags while they all took their second ride.

I just love watching my family get off rides. Everyone has that flushed excited look. They are all talking at once about how fun it was or their favorite part. It makes me smile thinking about it now.

Since we did not want to try and squeeze back through the crowds we walked around past Big Thunder Ranch to Fantasyland. Depending on the lines we wanted to ride the Matterhorn and Storybook Land (love this one in the dark too). We got onto the Matterhorn pretty fast and everyone loved it. Right after we got off we were surprised by the fireworks just starting. We had not planned to watch them but it was nice being in the right place at the right time.

It was a pretty good location too. I have no idea why but where you would normally see Tink flying by we got to see Dumbo and Tinkerbell flying. It was pretty cool as I had never seen it before. After the fireworks ended we went and got in line for Storybook Land. We had to wait about 7 minutes for them to open it back up but it was well worth the wait as it is another special ride to see at night. All the little buildings are lit up.

After this we headed over to Mainstreet to do some shopping and people watching before heading back to the hotel. It was a great day. Tomorrow California Adventure....
Old 03-22-2011, 01:10 PM   #60
BellaBaby
DIS Veteran

Good to know about walk on rides during Fantasmic. We have seen it several times and it is not a must do for us. So we will love to be riding rides during it (with less crowds). How fun to see Tink and Dumbo flying from that perspective and the fireworks!!

We usually just watch the fireworks from wherever we are in the park and it's just as fun! One time we were in FL in WDW and the fireworks started and it was just so magical, they were right above us, it was beautiful. My DH is not usually impressed with such things and he still talks about it, he absolutely loved it!!

Me and DH DD (13) DD (11) DS (9)

4/03 ASMO/CBR 4/05 HOJO'S DL 4/07 NICK HOTEL/WH 4-5/09 NICK HOTEL/WH 6/10 WH 5-6/11 HOJO'S DL 6/12 WH/AKV/POLY 5-6/13WH 5-6/14 HOJO'S DL 8/14 CSR
BellaBaby is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: