Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Teen Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2009, 11:32 AM   #1
imabrat

The stars in the sky illuminate below

Exclamation PSA - September is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month!

Please don't forget that September is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month. Wear your gold in support of the kids!

Please visit teamunite.net and/or PAC2 (http://curechildhoodcancer.ning.com/) to see how you can help. Or, in your local grocery store, visit the frozen treats aisle. On a box of ice pops (I don't remember the brand, sorry, only that it's a grey box) is a gold ribbon and info about CC. The proceeds from that purchase go to childhood cancer.

RIP Savannah.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:09 PM   #2
Sparx
DIS Veteran

i really hate how the only cancer that the media ever really talks about is breast cancer. i mean, there's like 400 other kinds, but all the stuff i see is for pink breast cancer awareness. i'm plenty aware of breast cancer, lets raise awareness of other kinds of cancer too. i had no idea september was childhood cancer awareness month.

mighty putty can fix everything but my broken heart
rip billy mays
i love, i have loved, i will love.

and the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
princesskelz
Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?

We aint afraid of a little rain!
No Escape from Reality

I defetnally agree with that cartoon Sonya.
Having a cancer scare in April i defetnally respect people more with cancer.....espically childhood cancer. I know I couldnt go through it. All of these kids are an insperation and should be given a million dollers or at least a medal!
Old 09-13-2009, 03:16 PM   #4
life of the party
hellokitty, target, and rachel= my life
LOVES spandex-y boy buttsbarney attack!

well breast cancer is one of the main killers of women in the U.S. , and all around the world.

http://www.cdc.gov/Cancer/Breast/statistics/
number 7 to be exact (;

but i agree that childhood cancer does not get enough funding or media attention.

but i think the attention & funding breast cancer is fair.
life of the party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:28 PM   #5
AmandaSparks730
All shall know the wonder of purple summerHow do you document real life, when real life is getting more like fiction each day?Glitter-Sparkle Powah!

I'm so sorry about Savannah (I just saw your Facebook post).

Chili's also has a Childhood Cancer Awareness thing going on (decorate a chili pepper and donate whatever you want to the Jimmy Fund. My family did two chili peppers )

I try to donate to the Jimmy Fund whenever I go to the movies (they have that commercial, and then an employee comes around with a donations jar. So nice of them.)
AmandaSparks730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:30 PM   #6
imabrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
i really hate how the only cancer that the media ever really talks about is breast cancer. i mean, there's like 400 other kinds, but all the stuff i see is for pink breast cancer awareness. i'm plenty aware of breast cancer, lets raise awareness of other kinds of cancer too. i had no idea september was childhood cancer awareness month.
I hate it. Yes, all kinds of cancer sucks so much, but all awareness should be equal. We only ever hear about breast, prostate, or ovarian/cervical cancer. Maybe even throw in lung cancer. But you know what? At least 95% of anyone diagnosed with those cancers have lived to see 30 years of age. There are kids who are born, coming out of the womb with cancer. Childhood cancers - there aren't many types of treatment for them and they often come with the grimmest diagnoses.

Katie, if you go to the CDC and click on cancer, there's not even a spot for childhood cancer! It only lists "Breast cancer, Colorectal cancer, Gynecologic cancers, Hematologic cancers, HPV-associated cancers, Lung cancer, Prostate cancer, Skin cancer". What about brain and spinal cancer? What about bone cancer?
Breast cancer may be the number 7 killer of women in the US, but cancer is the number 1 killer of those under 18 in the US. In fact, cancer kills more children than pediatric AIDs, cystic fibrosis, asthma, and pediatric diabetes combined. The cause of childhood cancers, right now, is unknown. They know what causes lung and breast cancers.

Everyday, 7 children die from cancer. That is 7 children too many. We NEED a cure!
Old 09-16-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
imabrat

Bump!
Old 09-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #8
Sparx
DIS Veteran

i think lots of other diseases need awareness too. not just cancer. i just feel like, over all, our society isn't very accomidating to many disablities and diseases.

rip billy mays

and the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:38 PM   #9
imabrat

Quote:
i think lots of other diseases need awareness too. not just cancer. i just feel like, over all, our society isn't very accomidating to many disablities and diseases.
I hear you. There's an automatic stereotype on those with disabilities and diseases and it angers me. Although most of the disabilites that affected me personally were only temporary, I still got "funny" looks. I think it's disgusting - just because someone is in a wheelchair or uses an oxygen pump doesn't mean their different from you. I think though, that over the years, society has become more accustomed than they used to be. It's still not 100% acceptable, but I think we're evolving. Creating more awareness will help, I think.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:50 PM   #10
Sparx
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by imabrat View Post
I hear you. There's an automatic stereotype on those with disabilities and diseases and it angers me. Although most of the disabilites that affected me personally were only temporary, I still got "funny" looks. I think it's disgusting - just because someone is in a wheelchair or uses an oxygen pump doesn't mean their different from you. I think though, that over the years, society has become more accustomed than they used to be. It's still not 100% acceptable, but I think we're evolving. Creating more awareness will help, I think.
my campus has these random crazy sidewalks, but they're not necessarily in the places they need to be. and when its raining, there's HUGE puddles in the parking lot (i got soaked above my ankles when i stepped in the pond by my car today.) and i can't help but think how hard that would be on someone in a wheel chair or on crutches.

90% of places in the town i used to live in don't have sidewalks at all, its a little better here, but not great.

rip billy mays

Old 09-16-2009, 03:09 PM   #11
imabrat

Quote:
my campus has these random crazy sidewalks, but they're not necessarily in the places they need to be. and when its raining, there's HUGE puddles in the parking lot (i got soaked above my ankles when i stepped in the pond by my car today.) and i can't help but think how hard that would be on someone in a wheel chair or on crutches.

90% of places in the town i used to live in don't have sidewalks at all, its a little better here, but not great.
We have no sidewalks here either, and even for those who are able, it's a pain in the butt. We went to Knoebel's, which is an amusement park set in the woods. Little pavement, lots of gravel. Let me tell you, it was the day from hell. It was rainy too and I'd only been off chemo for a little less than 2 months and I was miserable. Between feeling horribly and having my mom/myself pushing my wheelchair, I lasted maybe 5 hours. I was aggravated! The park states they are "disability friendly" because they offer motor scooters. Yanno, the ones you can't use because you'll get rocks all stuck in the wheels.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: