Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
Brancaneve
DIS Veteran

Wink Anyone lose weight/get in shape B4 DL trip?

Here we are just 24 days away from our trip and I am determined to lose a few pounds before our trip. Does anyone do the same and wonder, "What's the point?" Since, eating all those goodies tends to put them back on.

But, with this being our 10th anniversary and a DH and DW alone trip w/out the kids, I would like to slim down a little.

What motivates you to eat right and excercise? Do you think about the pictures you will be in, the ease of walking around the parks or the fact that you get to eat at DLR and not feel too guilty?
Old 05-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #2
Desert Dwellers
Mouseketeer

I would love to drop at least five pounds before our trip in July. Ten would be even better.

I want to take advantage of the Photopass and get as many family pictures as I can. I would like to not cringe when I see the pictures. But more than that, I want to fit into my summer wardrobe comfortably and I want to be able to keep up with my kids. I guess that's the most important thing, keeping up with the kids.
Desert Dwellers is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-11-2009, 04:50 PM   #3
Mommy2PrincessAbby
DIS Veteran

All the walking you do was my motivation, I did 1.5 miles a day on the treadmill for the 12 days leading up to our trip (I booked the trip 13 days in advance--or I would have done it longer!!) But 1.5 miles on the treadmill is really nothing when its nearly a half mile from DLH to the gates, and we went back for naps every day--which means we did 2 miles a day just going from the hotel to the entrance each day!!

Walt's Park:Two trips as a kid, stayed off-site. Oct '07, 4 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. May '08, 5 days "girls only trip" @ GCH dm, dd & I. May '09, 6 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. October '10, 5 day trip, dd and I @ PPH. And 6 days at PPH--December 5-10, 2012 for all 3 of us!

OMG--dare I say it? We went to the World!! Split Stay! CSR May 6-10 and AKL Savannah View May 10-13, 2014 (with a dash of the Darkside thrown in for good measure the 13th & 14th.)
Mommy2PrincessAbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:14 PM   #4
charmama4
DIS Veteran

Although I'm not doing this to lose weight, my motivation is to increase my stamina while at the parks. I may have not lost weight but I have toned my "curves" and my heart is stronger and I have the energy to keep up with my four kids and active DH. I call it my Disneyland Training and I go 1.5 miles on the eliptical, 4 times a week.

Have a wonderful Anniversary vacation!!!!!
Old 05-11-2009, 06:11 PM   #5
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

I also recommend training for DLR! Get some good walking shoes, then continue to wear them at the parks.

I had lost about 30 pounds over the course of a year, then went to DLR last summer. I just ate what I wanted and thought I would have gained a few pounds, but I didn't. I figured it was because I did so much walking. But I also didn't stuff myself either. It is no fun to feel stuffed when you want to go on rides. So, yes, I think loosing weight before you go will help you feel better while you there and most likely you won't undo what you lost because of all the walking. You will also feel better about eating what you want while there and less likely to feel guilty. At least, that is how I felt.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:41 PM   #6
marvel
DIS Veteran

Funny thing is that I lose weight before my trip and buy heaps of clothes in the US, and then a few months later have trouble fitting in to them !!
My motivation is to not look fat in the photos! So far it has worked, and now starting to eat right and exercise 5 months before our trip in Sept.
marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
MagicalMomAZ
DIS Veteran

I recently lost 15 lbs, DH (lost 25!) & I have been hittin' the gym, eating right & really working at it. All I can say is ANY vacation right now or in the future will be taken a tad more responsibly. Before we'd eat as much as we wanted, now we eat what we need. So while at DL - that actually may upset my kids, LOL!

That being said, no matter how much you "watch" what you eat - DL food will always have a lot of sodium & sugars. I literally swell like a balloon everytime bc of all the water weight! Last time I gained 4 lbs & lost it as soon as I ate normal again at home. If I do that THIS time...my clothes won't fit!

So that means oil & vinegar instead of ranch....grilled instead of fried....GRRRRR. I will give myself one naughty a day however - & the Monte Cristo fits into that category. Hopefully my bottomless-pit-DD will share!

Disneyland Adventures so far:

'80 - '83 - '87 - '89 - '93 - '96 - '97 - '02 - '08 - '10
DD, 14yo: '02 - '08 - '10 - '12(school)
DS, 8yo '08 - '10
MagicalMomAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:25 AM   #8
mystic_path
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them, Walt Disney

Get a pedometer and see how many miles you walk each day when at Disneyland. It will shock you. I clocked mine many times and each day I was walking between 10-12 miles. It was NUTS!!! If you find things that are reasonable to eat in the park, there is no reason that walking Disneyland wouldnt be a great exercise and a chance to lose even more weight.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:35 AM   #9
charmama4
DIS Veteran

The kids earned their pedometers through getfit.com (airforce kids fitness program) and they are excited to use them when they go. I knew we were going to walk a lot but didn't realize just how much. Mystic_ Path, that was a humbling amount of miles. Just another reason to 'train"
Old 05-12-2009, 09:42 AM   #10
mystic_path
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them, Walt Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmama4 View Post
The kids earned their pedometers through getfit.com (airforce kids fitness program) and they are excited to use them when they go. I knew we were going to walk a lot but didn't realize just how much. Mystic_ Path, that was a humbling amount of miles. Just another reason to 'train"
Its always nice to sit down for a little while and relax during the afternoon to rest your feet, because you dont realize how much you walk until you clock it. Your always running around doing something and the last thing your thinking about is how much you walk. Then after park closes or even if you leave the park during the afternoon to head to say DTD, thats still more walking. Granted you have to take in mind too though that this is coming from an Adult who never has only been on adult trips to Disneyland with no kids. Kids might slow you down a bit more.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:58 AM   #11
50sjayne
DIS Veteran

I joined a challenge on the Dis Wish board right around New Years and lost 25 #'s. Disney is great motivation and I did so much walking at Disneyland, even with the eating only ended up gaining a pound. I've maintained since we've been back (about 2 months) but would love to lose 10 more for our next trip next june. I know doesn't sound like much but just maintaining is a gargantuan effort for me. Pictures were a huge motivation and not having crippling back pain during vacation also was motivation. Watching The Biggest loser really helped me too. I'm not a fan of reality shows in general but because of the Wish challenge thought I'd give it a try.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:28 AM   #12
mystic_path

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50sjayne View Post
I joined a challenge on the Dis Wish board right around New Years and lost 25 #'s. Disney is great motivation and I did so much walking at Disneyland, even with the eating only ended up gaining a pound. I've maintained since we've been back (about 2 months) but would love to lose 10 more for our next trip next june. I know doesn't sound like much but just maintaining is a gargantuan effort for me. Pictures were a huge motivation and not having crippling back pain during vacation also was motivation. Watching The Biggest loser really helped me too. I'm not a fan of reality shows in general but because of the Wish challenge thought I'd give it a try.
I too hear you on reality TV but the biggest loser is such huge motivation. The only set back on that show is that they workout 6 days a week 6-7 hours a day. Jillian the trainer said in an interview that she doesnt recommend people pushing themselves to that limit. She recommends 6-7 hours of workout per week. Since the show moves at such a rapid pace the contestants have to as well. So that is the only minor set back. But its great motivation to see that you can do it too and that anything you set out to do you can achieve.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #13
Brancaneve
DIS Veteran

I forgot to mention that I really want to check out the pool at the GC. Without the kids, I will be able to lounge and read a book and that perhaps, has to be the ultimate motivation. I just want to be a little bit more comfortable in a bathing suit!

I love vacations except for the bathing suit part...unless there are a lot of Europeans around. They are so comfortable with their bodies that it just doesn't matter anymore!
Old 05-12-2009, 11:18 AM   #14
JadeDarkstar
Dis Veteran Pirate dragon mom

i droped 10 or 15 lbs. I am trying to lose some of the flab i have. I will be getting the ab circle in a few months an if i go to dl I will try to lose this flab before then
good luck to you all. I was shocked when i weighed my self an found i was nt 145 any more but 125 or 130
JadeDarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:37 AM   #15
Chickysmom
Sadly....tagless

the WISH board is a great resource for just about all weight loss and shape up topics here on the DIS too.....

~Robyn

Chickysmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: