Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2014, 07:46 PM   #1
GR101997
Earning My Ears

Oceaneering club misinformation

Just got off a four day Disney Dream cruise. When booking the cruise, DCL (not a TA) agent specifically told us our daughter, who would be turning 3 two weeks from our cruise date, could go for a trial in the Oceaneering club instead of the nursery and if she was ok could use the club during the cruise. I even asked about it on another cruise MB and got the same information.

We get on the ship and find out that policy has since been changed (they said over 6 months ago maybe even a year) and now it's a strict 3. They claimed some crap about safety for evacuations and whatnot. When talking with the head of activities, she had told me that it's true agents for disney keep telling people this and she deals with unhappy travelers almost all the time. On a previous cruise she said a kid turned three the day they got to Castaway Cay and they couldn't even do anything about that. It's three at sailing. They ended up comping us a few hours in the nursery.

I'm writing this here because the director also specifically mentioned the DIS Boards as one of the outlets that keep telling people about the old policy. So maybe this info can be put into an FAQ or something so if someone asks, they can get the right info because it seems disney themselves can't even provide it.
GR101997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:00 PM   #2
n2mm
aka WALTSGIRL

I read recently the policy had changed to a strict 3 too. But as always people kept challenging the original poster. This was on the FB cruise site. Thanks for posting a first hand account. They should include a print out when mailing info to its guest prior if it's obvious that they have a family this might affect.

2015 TRIPS-Under Construction
April 29 - May 16 @ BCV
Sept 11-12@ BLT; ? + Cruise
Oct 25 - Nov 7 @ ?

n2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2014, 09:29 PM   #3
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Interesting since a current YCM recently gave the previous information here.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:30 PM   #4
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
On a previous cruise she said a kid turned three the day they got to Castaway Cay and they couldn't even do anything about that. It's three at sailing.
Well that doesn't make sense. They don't allow brand new 18 year olds to go to the teen club after their birthday on the ship; why wouldn't they allow a child who just aged into something go?

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:54 PM   #5
Dawg91
Mouseketeer

Just read this on the other board. DCL needs to be firm about the policy. I said they should gauge kids club age, adult area age and drinking age by the age you are on the day on embarkation. It would save a lot of headache for everyone. You wouldn't expect them to allow a 17 yr old in the Quiet Cove because they turn 18 a week after the cruise, would you? Or a 20 year old to buy alcohol because he is turning 21 next month?

Would it be a pain for some people? Yes, but it would save CMs trouble if they are able to say "we must stick to the policy".

No matter the policy, DCL needs to be sure the call center and the ship are giving the same answer which I understand is often not the case.
Dawg91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:36 PM   #6
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg91 View Post
I said they should gauge kids club age, adult area age and drinking age by the age you are on the day on embarkation. It would save a lot of headache for everyone. You wouldn't expect them to allow a 17 yr old in the Quiet Cove because they turn 18 a week after the cruise, would you? Or a 20 year old to buy alcohol because he is turning 21 next month?

Would it be a pain for some people? Yes, but it would save CMs trouble if they are able to say "we must stick to the policy".

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to let people do things based on the age they are at the time they are doing it? So...go to the Quiet Cove once you're 18. Drink once you're 21. etc. Day of embarkation is just silly for age-based things IMO. Makes no sense.

And then, going by embarkation day, you'd end up with 18 year olds in a space meant for minors, which could be a liability issue for...well who knows. But it could end up being a problem.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:28 AM   #7
GR101997
Earning My Ears

The thing that pissed me off was that Disney told me this and we booked a cruise partly on that info. We could have gone in January just as easily when she was 3 but chose this one. It's one thing if a TA messed up or we went solely on info from a message board but we booked it through them and they messed up.

We ended up not using our AquaAdventure tickets bc my wife felt guilty dropping her off in what was more of a glorified day care as opposed to the kids club where they have more activities. I asked for a refund and was denied it.
GR101997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 10:34 AM   #8
optstud
Earning My Ears

My daughter was 35 months on our sept 20/14 fantasy sailing and was allowed to be checked into oceaneer's. Must have changed since then.
optstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:30 AM   #9
Bree
DIS Veteran

It was my understanding that it was always the discretion of the CM's at the time of the cruise.

I'm sorry DCL wouldn't refund your excursion, but your DD probably would have been fine in the nursery.

Bree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:04 PM   #10
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by optstud View Post
My daughter was 35 months on our sept 20/14 fantasy sailing and was allowed to be checked into oceaneer's. Must have changed since then.
That discredits what the CM said already. Inconsistency with DCL is about the only thing you can count on.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:33 PM   #11
over50visits
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry for the OP who acted in VERY good faith - relying on information from Disney. This is a significant systemic error that responsible Disney management should address. And it is so easy! Disney was wrong here, and they owe her not only a sincere apology, but they owe it to us all to better train/get information to their phone call center

A lesson for future cruisers...read the restrictions first in the contract, then on the website. Those are the most reliable. Then depend on them. 3 years means 3 years; 18 for adult areas means 18. And so forth for all age groups. Dress codes mean what they say. Saving seats/poolside chair policies mean what they say. Menus mean what food is available.

With that approach, you and your family will have a FANTASTIC cruise, and you won't have to stress or even worry a little bit when you are thinking about stretching (i.e. breaking) their policies and/or hoping for "exceptions."
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: