Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2015, 02:39 PM   #1
DisneyDiva2006
Mouseketeer

Palo

Palo Dinner vs. Palo Brunch
I've seen this question posed many times but we are traveling with a big group and we have several kids going. Knowing that the kids can't go to Palo. Is it better to do brunch so we don't miss anything as far as dinner goes with the kids? I hate to miss a special night at one of the restaurants.

DH ME DD15 DD5
2015 - Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Mar 7-14
2013 - Wilderness Lodge; 2012 - RPR Universal and POP Century; 2010 - Pop Century; 2008 - Wilderness Lodge; 2006 - Pop Century; 2004 - Offsite; 2002 - Offsite; 1997 - Offsite; 1986 - Offsite
DisneyDiva2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:40 PM   #2
DISNEY FANTASY
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas

Location: London UK : Q: Why can't Elsa watch her movie on TV? A: Because her picture was Frozen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDiva2006 View Post
Palo Dinner vs. Palo Brunch
I've seen this question posed many times but we are traveling with a big group and we have several kids going. Knowing that the kids can't go to Palo. Is it better to do brunch so we don't miss anything as far as dinner goes with the kids? I hate to miss a special night at one of the restaurants.
Both meals a great, brunch is normally better than dinner IMHO, and brunch is on when the kids can be at thier clubs.

Dinner means that you miss out on a family meal together.
* Disney Magic -
July 2014 12 Night Med + Greece.
* Disney Wonder - August 2013 Lots of photos Alaska and full navigators, -In 'The Walt' photo thread here,
* Disney Fantasy - Back to back, Eastern and Western, Two weeks in concierge!
* Disney Magic - 8 cruises, inc 12 night Baltic, 11 night Med, 14 & 15 night Panama, & 7 night Caribbean.
Other lines inc RCI and Princess.Next, Disney Magic 12 night Northern Europe 2015.
DISNEY FANTASY is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2015, 02:43 PM   #3
jadee911
Earning My Ears

Palo Dinner

Find out when this Kid's Club is having their sleep over/pizza party and plan your romantic evening dinner for that night. The Palo dinner is one that I wouldn't miss. In fact we are planning a back to back to back cruise this next January and are planning a Palo dinner for each of those. Your kiddos nor you will miss out on a thing at dinner...you'll miss out on more if you don't have a Palo Experience.

Jan 18-22 Dream Bahamas
Jan 10-17 Wonder Puerto Rico
2014 Wonder Alaska
1997 Disney Land
1995 Disney World
1986 Disney Land (Singer)
jadee911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:58 PM   #4
californiamomofboys
Mouseketeer

both are wonderful but if I had to pick just one, I would go with dinner. Kids can go to clubs or movie theater (depending on age and how much freedom you give them) and won't miss you....brunch is wonderful for the daylight view, but to me food was better at dinner. you won't be disappointed with either.
californiamomofboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:46 PM   #5
KingRichard
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadee911 View Post
Find out when this Kid's Club is having their sleep over/pizza party and plan your romantic evening dinner for that night. The Palo dinner is one that I wouldn't miss. In fact we are planning a back to back to back cruise this next January and are planning a Palo dinner for each of those. Your kiddos nor you will miss out on a thing at dinner...you'll miss out on more if you don't have a Palo Experience.
I think they only have sleep overs on 10-14 night or longer cruises(help).

Of the 5 cruises we have been on it was only the 15 Hawaii cruise that had it and we loved it.

I wish it was offered every cruise, but think there is to many child on shorter cruises for them to offer it?

GRAND SLAM COMPLETE! Feb. 11 Dream, April 12 Wonder(Hawaii), Feb. 13 Fantasy, Feb. 14 Magic, June 14 Wonder(Alaska) 36 NOB
KingRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:59 PM   #6
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

We've done both and love them both. Others have suggested a good option for the children one night. Its kind of up to you to decide if dinner every night must be a family affair or if its OK to have an adult only dinner.

You may be interested in reading the review I did for FoodieTales about our experience at Palo for brunch and dinner. Just look for the link in my sig below.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:05 PM   #7
aggiedog
Earning My Ears

Say the adults do dinner. What do my 4 kids do for dinner? Go by themselves? I'd love time alone with my husband, but I'm not sure the MDR wants my 9-15 yo kids. Or do they?

Not being sarcastic, I'm honestly curious how that works. We are first time cruisers, so there's a good chance we won't get a brunch, with only 2 sea days on our cruise.
aggiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:09 PM   #8
Maddysdaddy
DIS Veteran

You have a few dinner options:

1 - have an early dinner with the kids (they eat, you watch) and then ship them off to the clubs;
2 - let your waitstaff know the night before that you will be dining at Palo and that the kids will be coming down by themselves for dinner (depending on how much you trust your kids);
3 - just ship your kids off to the clubs and let them eat dinner there (I think the clubs bring in food - but others can confirm this).

My wife and I have always gone with option #1.
Maddysdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:12 PM   #9
RebeccaLovesDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiedog View Post
Say the adults do dinner. What do my 4 kids do for dinner? Go by themselves? I'd love time alone with my husband, but I'm not sure the MDR wants my 9-15 yo kids. Or do they?

Not being sarcastic, I'm honestly curious how that works. We are first time cruisers, so there's a good chance we won't get a brunch, with only 2 sea days on our cruise.
My kids have gone to dinner in the MDR while we went to Palo. The first time they did it they were 10 and 13. We gave them the option of getting food on the top deck, but they chose the main dinner.

1972-1976 Several trips to WDW * 1986 Offsite * December 2001 CBR * December 2003 Magic-Eastern * December 2004 PC, Magic-Eastern, CSR * December 2005 Magic-Eastern * Thanksgiving 2007 Magic-Western * August 2008 Magic EB Panama Canal TOAL * June 2011 Wonder Alaska * July 2012 CSR * CSR, June 15, 2013 Fantasy * January 10, 2015 Fantasy
RebeccaLovesDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:49 PM   #10
Kenny1113
Mouseketeer

We loved palo dinner on our last cruise it was a great date for me and DH.
We ordered room service for the kids and had them eat while we got dressed, then took them to the club and headed to palo.
We have brunch booked on our next cruise because of all the rave reviews here can't wait to try it, but also would like to try to see if we can squeeze a dinner in one night too.
Kenny1113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:07 PM   #11
DisneyDiva2006
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone for all the wonderful suggestions! We have decided to just book both! Since it is our first Disney Cruise I would like to make sure we try everything and I read if we have to cancel we have until 2:00 that day to decide before we are charged.

DH ME DD15 DD5
2015 - Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Mar 7-14
2013 - Wilderness Lodge; 2012 - RPR Universal and POP Century; 2010 - Pop Century; 2008 - Wilderness Lodge; 2006 - Pop Century; 2004 - Offsite; 2002 - Offsite; 1997 - Offsite; 1986 - Offsite
DisneyDiva2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:09 PM   #12
my2princessgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:

We either get room services, or get them something from one of the poolside quick service type places.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:30 AM   #13
lizzyb
DIS Veteran

We did dinner last time and really enjoyed it.. this time we are planning to book brunch and dinner.
Oct. 23-28, 2007 Pop Century,July 12-19, 2008 Pop Century, Jan. 23-30, 2009 Pop Century, Jan.23-31,2010 POR, Aug. 28-Sept. 4, 2011 CSR, Aug.13-19, 2012 AoA, April 20-27, 2013 Disney Fantasy, Aug. 3-12, 2014 CR, April 25- May 2, 2015 Disney Fantasy

lizzyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:46 AM   #14
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:

As others have reported, the kids can go to the MDR by themselves if you choose that option.

OR other people have reported setting Palo at the opposite time to their MDR reservations (example - if you have early dining, set Palo for 8pm), then going to the MDR to sit with their children and possibly have a beverage, THEN letting the kids go to the clubs and the adults going to Palo.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:10 AM   #15
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddysdaddy View Post
You have a few dinner options:

1 - have an early dinner with the kids (they eat, you watch) and then ship them off to the clubs;
2 - let your waitstaff know the night before that you will be dining at Palo and that the kids will be coming down by themselves for dinner (depending on how much you trust your kids);
3 - just ship your kids off to the clubs and let them eat dinner there (I think the clubs bring in food - but others can confirm this).

My wife and I have always gone with option #1.
Yes, number 3 is an option -- dinner is provided in the kids' clubs.

WDW: 17 | DLR: 3 | DCL: 2
Next: Feb 2015 Disney Magic
jcarwash is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: