Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2009, 03:42 PM   #1
Lifelong_Dreamer
DIS Veteran

Cool Mother/Daughter Cruise to Tortola, May 23rd, Lots of pics! COMPLETE 7/14

Sorry folks, I will be deleting the pictures from this report as they are causing my photobucket account to exceed its bandwidth every month. If you would like to read about the cruise just click on the link in my signature and it will take you to my other report on the WDW TR boards.

Last edited by Lifelong_Dreamer; 09-04-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Lifelong_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:03 PM   #2
Lifelong_Dreamer
DIS Veteran

So you are probably wanting to know more of the details involved in this trip.

The first part of the trip will be at WDW, we just could not travel to Florida and not go, especially when we had the chance to attend the Flower and Garden Festival and Star Wars Weekend. So from May 16th-23rd we will be staying at Pop Century.

The morning of the 23rd we will be driving ourselves to the port using our Budget rental car and then taking their complimentary shuttle to the cruise terminal.

As you saw in the title we are on the May 23rd Eastern Caribbean sailing to Tortola and St Thomas. We will be staying in a Cat 6 midship with the late dinner seating.

Our excursion choices were easy. For Tortola we will be taking the Day At The Baths excursion and while docked in St Thomas we will be taking the excursion over to St John and Trunk Bay. The Baths and Trunk Bay both came so highly recommended and the pictures were breathtaking so we just knew that we had to go there for our excursions.

We also have a dinner at Palo booked and I am hoping to add a brunch once we get on ship. Cross your fingers for us!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-07-2009, 10:31 PM   #3
msmith07101
DIS Veteran

Hi Lessa! I am on this cruise too (me, my DH and 2 boys). Also our first cruise, but have been to the caribbean...so looking forward to it!! Thinking of doing the baths too...maybe on our own, not through DCL (too pricey).
Looking forward to more of your trip report!
'94 Port Orleans French Qtr/'95 Caribbean Beach Resort/'97 Coronado Springs/'01 All Star Music/'02 Sandals Royal Caribbean Jamaica/'05 CBR/'07 Disneyland & California Adventure- offsite/'08 Beaches Boscobel Jamaica/May 23,09 Disney Magic
December 2009 WDW CBR & Universal RPR
June 2010 Venice & Rome Italy
December 2010 Pop Century...to see my son & his HS marching band perform at WDW & US Macy's Parade!!
November 2012 Pop Century
November 2013- NYC- Macys Parade HS Band Trip

msmith07101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:45 PM   #4
Lifelong_Dreamer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith07101 View Post
Hi Lessa! I am on this cruise too (me, my DH and 2 boys). Also our first cruise, but have been to the caribbean...so looking forward to it!! Thinking of doing the baths too...maybe on our own, not through DCL (too pricey).
Looking forward to more of your trip report!
Hi! I agree the price for the baths excursion is a bit high but since it is our first cruise and the baths are on another island we felt more secure going with the Disney excursion. My mom and I tend to worry too much and always err on the cautious side. Not big risk takers that is for sure! I know that if we did The Baths on our own we would spend the whole time worrying about getting back on time that we would not enjoy ourselves as much.

Last edited by Lifelong_Dreamer; 05-07-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:45 PM   #5
linco711
DIS Veteran

Hi,
I cruise with my adult daughter (Freshmen in college), as often as I can. We took a RCCL last summer for her high school graduation. We had a ball!
I have talked her into going with me again...this time Disney Magic...July 4 and can't wait.

I'm sure you and mom will have a wonderful time. Mother-daughter trips are the best!! Enjoy
linco711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:21 PM   #6
Lifelong_Dreamer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by linco711 View Post
Hi,
I cruise with my adult daughter (Freshmen in college), as often as I can. We took a RCCL last summer for her high school graduation. We had a ball!
I have talked her into going with me again...this time Disney Magic...July 4 and can't wait.

I'm sure you and mom will have a wonderful time. Mother-daughter trips are the best!! Enjoy
How nice! The last real vacation that my mom and I went on together without the brothers was also for my high school graduation. We spent a few days visiting the Biltmore Estate in North Carolina. It will definitely be nice to get away just she and I.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:35 PM   #7
msmith07101
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifelong_Dreamer View Post
Hi! I agree the price for the baths excursion is a bit high but since it is our first cruise and the baths are on another island we felt more secure going with the Disney excursion. My mom and I tend to worry too much and always err on the cautious side. Not big risk takers that is for sure! I know that if we did The Baths on our own we would spend the whole time worrying about getting back on time that we would not enjoy ourselves as much.
I know what you mean...I am a worrier too. I would be OK with the price if it were only two of us...but four is just too much. I would rather go with DCL for the peace of mind...but, there are others on our cruise who are going on their own too. I think we'll just make sure we head back with plenty of time to spare. Don't know what to do in St. Thomas yet. I think I will look at the excursion you are doing...see what it is.
'94 Port Orleans French Qtr/'95 Caribbean Beach Resort/'97 Coronado Springs/'01 All Star Music/'02 Sandals Royal Caribbean Jamaica/'05 CBR/'07 Disneyland & California Adventure- offsite/'08 Beaches Boscobel Jamaica/May 23,09 Disney Magic
December 2009 WDW CBR & Universal RPR
June 2010 Venice & Rome Italy
December 2010 Pop Century...to see my son & his HS marching band perform at WDW & US Macy's Parade!!
November 2012 Pop Century
November 2013- NYC- Macys Parade HS Band Trip

msmith07101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:01 PM   #8
Lifelong_Dreamer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith07101 View Post
I know what you mean...I am a worrier too. I would be OK with the price if it were only two of us...but four is just too much. I would rather go with DCL for the peace of mind...but, there are others on our cruise who are going on their own too. I think we'll just make sure we head back with plenty of time to spare. Don't know what to do in St. Thomas yet. I think I will look at the excursion you are doing...see what it is.

Trunk Bay is lovely, but it is a bit pricey too. Thank goodness for our OBC.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:11 PM   #9
luv2boys
DVC Boardwalk Villas

cant wait to hear about it
luv2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:17 PM   #10
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

It sounds like you and your mom will have a great vacation! I was in Tortola last week - the same day the Disney Magic was there. I did the ship's excursion to the Baths of Virgin Gorda, and it really is neat. Just wear sturdy shoes for climbing through, on and over the big rocks! I also did a ship's excursion to St. John/Trunk Bay a year ago - and the island is very pretty.

My very first cruise was with my mom in 2004 when I was about your mom's age. It wasn't a good experience. I cruised with her again in January 2008 on the Wonder, and it wasn't much of an improvement! On the other hand, I have cruised with all 3 of my now-adult children, and my 2 daughters and I are cruising in Europe in 2010.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:26 PM   #11
Lifelong_Dreamer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2boys View Post
cant wait to hear about it
Glad to have you here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
It sounds like you and your mom will have a great vacation! I was in Tortola last week - the same day the Disney Magic was there. I did the ship's excursion to the Baths of Virgin Gorda, and it really is neat. Just wear sturdy shoes for climbing through, on and over the big rocks! I also did a ship's excursion to St. John/Trunk Bay a year ago - and the island is very pretty.

Thanks for the tip. When in the caves though do your feet not get wet? I would hate to be wearing socks and running shoes if that is the case. I plan on bringing them to wear on the climb up and down though.

Quote:
My very first cruise was with my mom in 2004 when I was about your mom's age. It wasn't a good experience. I cruised with her again in January 2008 on the Wonder, and it wasn't much of an improvement! On the other hand, I have cruised with all 3 of my now-adult children, and my 2 daughters and I are cruising in Europe in 2010.
Europe! Mom and I debated booking a Med cruise in 2010 but with going back to school it if not going to happen. We do have a possible trip to Paris in the works though! Only $2000 per person including airfare for 10 days. One of my mom's sorority sisters is planning it. It would be amazing if we get to go but I am not holding my breath.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:03 PM   #12
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifelong_Dreamer View Post

Thanks for the tip. When in the caves though do your feet not get wet? I would hate to be wearing socks and running shoes if that is the case. I plan on bringing them to wear on the climb up and down though.

Europe! Mom and I debated booking a Med cruise in 2010 but with going back to school it if not going to happen. We do have a possible trip to Paris in the works though! Only $2000 per person including airfare for 10 days. One of my mom's sorority sisters is planning it. It would be amazing if we get to go but I am not holding my breath.
It's possible to climb through the rocks to Devil's Bay Beach without going in the water. However, there were times when going through the water would've been the easier route!

Ten days in Paris would be heavenly, and I hope you get to take that trip! I booked a British Isles cruise out of Southampton on Princess, and the cruise starts on a Wednesday. My daughters want to go to Paris, so we'll probably fly there the weekend before we cruise, then either fly or take the Eurostar to London.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:13 PM   #13
Lifelong_Dreamer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
It's possible to climb through the rocks to Devil's Bay Beach without going in the water. However, there were times when going through the water would've been the easier route!

Ten days in Paris would be heavenly, and I hope you get to take that trip! I booked a British Isles cruise out of Southampton on Princess, and the cruise starts on a Wednesday. My daughters want to go to Paris, so we'll probably fly there the weekend before we cruise, then either fly or take the Eurostar to London.

That cruise sounds amazing! Someday I want to take a month and just tour all over England and Scotland.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:51 AM   #14
JOANNEL
DVC MEMBER 6/02
I haven't laughed that hard in ages

We are on this cruise also mother & two daughters. My Mom will be 88, sis 68 and me 50. We are going with out kids and husbands, just a girl trip!!

Last edited by JOANNEL; 05-10-2009 at 10:57 AM.
JOANNEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:42 AM   #15
Lifelong_Dreamer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOANNEL View Post
We are on this cruise awful and we are also mother & two daughters. My Mom will be 88, sis 68 and me 50. We are going with out kids and husbands, just a girl trip!!
Now that is not a good attitude to be approaching the cruise with.

How fun that the three of you are getting away together.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: