DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2009, 08:00 PM   #76
Disney Princess
Member Since Day 1
I am just the "organized" one

Have a wonderful last day and a safe trip home. Thanks for sharing everything with us!
Disney Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:24 AM   #77
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeschlicht View Post
Day 7:
Well for the second day in a row we made it out early! I guess we’re gearing up for going back to the rat race on Wednesday. This morning we decided to drive ourselves, since we were going to Animal Kingdom, and our DIS/DVC meet was going to be at Animal Kingdom Lodge (Kidani) in the afternoon. As it turns out, we ended up driving back to OKW between there anyway, since I managed to leave the camera back at OKW.

Since this was our last full day here, we decided to catch our favorite AK attractions another time. We started at the Safari, did Pangani Forest trail to see the gorillas, and were finished with those in time to make it out to Rafiki’s Planet Watch in time to watch the veterinarian exams. Today the were examining two very young grey striped King snakes. That wasn’t as interesting as the Colobus Monkeys we saw them examine one other trip, but I find this stuff fascinating anyway.
Wow, that's so cool that you've seen the Colobus Monkeys (not so sure about the snakes). I've rushed out there on almost every trip (yes, while others are headed to EE, I'm headed to Conservation Station) and yet I haven't seen any animals that excited me. Last week, I saw a frog exam, and once I saw a duck getting neutered. Do they start the exams at 9:30 or 10:30, or does it vary with the day? I thought it was 9:30, but last week they didn't start until 10:30. Do they ever post the schedule in advance or is it just daily?
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-12-2009, 06:16 PM   #78
plymouthmom
Mouseketeer

Hi Diane!

Sounds like a great trip. Definately better weather than we both had in January! Woud love to hear more about your thoughts on Kidani...Still thinking about an add on there.

Ann

PS- Rain on Wednesday here !
Old 05-12-2009, 07:50 PM   #79
colonialtinker
You may not see much in a small town, but what you hear makes up for it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeschlicht View Post
We have new neighbors next door in the studio portion of what would be this two bedroom lock off. I wouldn't have noticed, but they moved in last evening while we were sitting here waiting to leave for our dinner reservations. We were both typing away on our computers when we heard someone open the connecting door on the studio side of the unit. Then they started to turn the knob on our side, and the door actually started to open! It startled me, and I quickly jumped up and pushed it shut and locked it. I thought perhaps it was kids, but this morning while I was sitting here posting , I looked up and an old man was leaning over the railing of the balcony next door looking in our living room window at me.

Who does that kind of stuff on vacation??? Things don't bother me much, but I have to admit I'm a bit wierded out by that. The door thing alone woujld have been forgotten by me, and I didn't think it important enough to mention here when I was posting last night, but combined with what happened this morning just makes me a bit uncomfortable.
We were in building 40 until Sunday. That explains the security guy checking the lock offs Saturday. I thought it was strange to see the security guard checking rooms. I have never tried to open the door and we usually stay in studios. DD has been told that we never open the door. Of course if someone tried to come in our room they wouldn't get far, I set all luggage against the door, to get it out of my way.

Great report Diane
Old 05-12-2009, 08:13 PM   #80
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a wonderful trip, I just have to wonder if this summer is going to be a very hot one.

As to lock offs, everyone check your doors as soon as you enter the room. Housekeeping is very bad about not locking them back while cleaning. If both rooms are empty during a cleaning they do go back and forth within the units.

Many times someone in a studio will hope the one bedroom is empty and sneak over and use the kitchen and jacuzzi, staff have caught a few that way.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:33 PM   #81
Goofy's apprentice
DIS Veteran

thanks for the wonderful summaries of your trip. Not to worry, it definitely doesn't sound boring to me. Our family rides TSMM as much as possible. It's great for all ages. This past March our three teenagers rode Carousel of Progress for the first time and just loved it ! They rode twice more before leaving and that song kept creeping up over and over again. I think they like it so much because it has that traditional old-time "Disney feel". It is unique.

So glad you had such a nice vacation !
2006 Apr-BWV, OKW --- Nov-BWV, OKW
2007 Mar-SSR --May OKW/SSR --Oct - SSMC07
2008 Feb - SSR/VWL ---Apr - Vero/SSR --- Nov - BWV
2009 Mar-VWL/SSR ---Oct - BWV/BLT
2010 Mar - BWV/THV --- Oct - SSR (for WWOHP !!!)
2011 Apr - BWV/SSR --- Oct - SSR/BWV
2012 Mar - BWV/BLT --- Oct - BWV
Goofy's apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:00 AM   #82
dianeschlicht
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
DIS Earth Angel :)
I promise not to plot against the showering
today I can only think of bubbles :o

I'm exhausted! LOL, I need a vacation from vacation! Yesterday was an interesting day to say the least. First, it was hotter than heck again yesterday and the heat was really getting to us after so long of being out in it. We were spending the day trying to stay in air conditioning. We had dinner ressies at Teppan Edo for noon, and we weren't at all hungry by then, so we talked to the hostesses, and they changed it to 2:30. That left us plenty of time to hear Voices of Liberty again and go down to Norway to do the Maelstrom ride. We had wanted to see American Adventure again too (it's usually pretty cool in there), but the show was having technical difficulties, so we came back later to listen to the Voices of Liberty again, and that time the show was ready. After that Am. Ad. it was time to make our ressies in Japan. We thought we were pretty smart planning our dinner for 2:30, since we planned to be back at OKW by 4:00 to leave for our 6:00 flight. The vacation gods were not in on this plan though. First off, we got the world's slowest teppan chef! It took her over an hour to cook everything ordered. She must have been new. That meant we didn't get out of the restaurant until 4:00, and we were supposed to be at OKW by then.

When we exited the restaurant, the temperature had dropped about 20 degrees, and it was very windy and spitting rain. We walked as quickly as we could to the bus stop, but we could see the OKW stop empty, so that probably meant we had just missed a bus. We had no time to wait the 20 mintues for the next one, so we decided to take a cab to OKW. By the time we arrived there, the rain had come full force, so now we are heading to the airport in driving rain. Folks in Florida seem not to know how to drive in this stuff. They don't turn on their lights (something that's the law here at home), and you can't see them. Then they stop all over the highways, and it's like an obsticle course dodging them. Add to that the fact that they don't turn their hazard lights on when they are stopped, but they DO turn them on when they are moving. If we move with hazard lights on here, we get a ticket. It made for an interesting trip to the airport. We arrived there at 5:00 and had to rush once we dropped off the rental car.

Arriving at the gate was another confusion. There were folks standing all around in an area that included 5 gates. None of the planes were going anywhere because evidentlly MCO has a rule about luggage personel and plane service people not working if it is raining. Our flight board said it was leaving at 6:00 yet, but we weren't on the plane by then. In fact, they didn't board the plane until 6:30, and then they had us sit there on the ground for an hour before they let us fuel up and get in line to take off. We were about an hour and a half late leaving. Top it off with a rather bumpy flight, and we were pretty pooped by the time we got home around 11:00.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:27 AM   #83
jekjones1558
Always happy at Disney

STRESS. Yikes! I am totally anal about time on the day we come home so my blood pressure rose just reading your report. We always get to the airport 2 hours ahead because I am such a worry wart about getting through security. Glad you made it home safely (the landing must have been interesting with the high winds we are having) and hope you get a chance for a nap today!
Old 05-13-2009, 09:16 AM   #84
dianeschlicht

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekjones1558 View Post
STRESS. Yikes! I am totally anal about time on the day we come home so my blood pressure rose just reading your report. We always get to the airport 2 hours ahead because I am such a worry wart about getting through security. Glad you made it home safely (the landing must have been interesting with the high winds we are having) and hope you get a chance for a nap today!
Yes, our landing was less than stellar. We hit the ground a little hard! I'm not liking our "new" Delta (forced to change from NWA) airline experience. They seem to not have things in order yet. I only had one other Delta experience before this new merger, and it too was not good. UGH, looks like we'll be trying for Sun Country or maybe even Southwest if we want to change in Chicago.

No time to nap today. I have an overflowing schedule!! Thank goodness we can top it off with a baseball game tonight. We get to choose our new seats at the new Twins Stadium on Friday morning, so we have been perusing the stadium website and watching all the seats we would prefer be taken up before our turn comes.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:37 AM   #85
friskykitten
DIS Veteran

Hi Diane,
Just like in your state it is the law in Florida to turn on your headlights when it is raining. That doesn't mean everyone does it and I have never heard of anyone being pulled over and ticketed for not turning on their lights which should be common sense to begin with. I have noticed a lot of people driving with their hazzards on when the rain really pours. But that is something I have noticed in several states, not just Florida, and it does help you to see the cars in front of you so I have never minded people doing that. Anything to increase visibility is a good thing when the rain starts to pour heavily. Plus you must remember that very few people in FL are native Floridians. Most of these people that don't know how to drive (and that is most of the drivers here in Florida) have actually migrated down here from other states. Whether for vacation or for living. Me included, but I know how to drive really well! My father was a Drivers Education Teacher so I try to be reasonable when I drive and really try to calm myself when I start to get heated up with other drivers. Which is everytime I get in my car nowadays!

I think driving courtesy and common sense has gone downhill for several years now probably due to more cars on the road and everyone having the sense of entitlement and me first attitudes. Florida is definately a bad driving state. Snowbird season is the worst with an average of two BAD accidents a week, sometimes even one a day, that stops traffic for hours on I-75. I don't attribute this to the fact that most snowbirds are older, retired human beings (which is what most people here want to blame it on) but rather to the fact that they may take things slower than those who live here year round added in to the probability that they don't know their way around as well as those who are permanent residents. Mix the two driving styles and you have multiple accidents.

Glad you made it to the airport in one piece! Especially since there were tornadoes in the area. The news last night showed a tornado had touched down between Lakeland and Winter Haven which is really not too far from WDW. It was only an EF0 and did minimal damage but could have easily tossed cars around trying to make it to an airport on the highway!

I miss my mid-west tornadoes! Thanks for keeping us in the know as to how your trip went! I really enjoyed reading it. How long until you go back?
friskykitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:54 AM   #86
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

As a Floridian (shush! Don't tell anyone) I complain frequently about how poorly the tourists drive, specifically in touristic area's. Of course that never includes anyone from Minnesota!

Sounds like you had a wonderful relaxing vacation, except for the last tidbit! Thanks for sharing it with all of us.

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:57 AM   #87
dianeschlicht

YIKES! I didn't realize there were tornado warnings out. Too bad the airport didn't have the news channels on letting folks know that. That certainly must have been the reason for the delay. The Delta folks had no clue that was it though. They just stood around looking confused right along with the rest of us.

Hazard lights are supposed to mean a stopped vehicle. That's why it is better to drive with lights on and stop with hazards on rather than the other way around. Hazard should mean "step on the brake stupid, or you'll hit my parked car"!! I do think we were the only one with our headlights on with the exception of the school buses, who also had them on.

Oh, and a warning for those of you who haven't been down recently....They changed the toll from the airport to Disney. It is now $1.25 at each booth instead of a dollar. We didn't know that on the way in , and had to scramble digging for change.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:28 AM   #88
hellerjw
I want to be an Imagineer so bad that everything tastes like pixie dust!

I agree with the "lights on when raining laws". My vehicle's headlights automatically come on when the wipers are engaged and I hope that becomes a trend across all brands, its a logical progression from the daytime running lights you see on many vehicles now.

I've also seen vehicles whose flashers stop when the brake is applied so I'm not sure what good they do if you are having to ride the brakes anyway during a heavy downpour. I tend to agree that flashers should only be used in an emergency , when you are stopped on the shoulder or after an accident to warn other drivers of the stopped vehicle.
'74 off-site, '79 Contemporary, '83 off-site, '89 Buena Vista Palace, '93 Golf Villas, '98 off-site, '00 7-day Land-n-Sea Carribean Beach, '03 All-Star Movies, '05 Port Orleans- Riverside, Aug. '07 AKV, June '08 VWL, Oct. '08 SSR, Feb. '09 HHI, June '09 AKV, Oct. '09 AKV, June '10 HHI, Aug. '10 SSR, June '11 OKW
hellerjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:18 PM   #89
Disney Princess
Member Since Day 1
I am just the "organized" one

STRESSFUL. I can't imagine the stress you were feeling at the end of your last day. I am high-strung as it is, so I would have been a basket case. I am happy you made it home safely. Try and get rested up from that vacation. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

Good luck getting some good seats at the new stadium!
Disney Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:57 PM   #90
dianeschlicht

LOL, well, no rest for ME! I came home to an extra busy schedule, and it doesn't appear to be slowing down for at least a month! Oh well, this is a GOOD tired!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: